Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Double Cross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Are there any good generic-ier Mecha Tabletop RPGs? Looking for something for a group and all the stuff is old and clunky, or just clunky, that I know of.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

Are there any good generic-ier Mecha Tabletop RPGs? Looking for something for a group and all the stuff is old and clunky, or just clunky, that I know of.

Battle Century G is really good and relatively lightweight. It's very anime, however, if that's not your style.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
If your going into mecha and dont want anime I dont know what to tell you. But yes Battle Century G and its expansion are good and the rules are free on its website.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

clockworkjoe posted:

Are there any RPGs set in the modern real world but with a focus on fighting weird sci-fi nasties and PCs can have over the top psychic powers/skills etc? Ideally it would be monster of the week, but entirely sci-fi themed instead of magic/supernatural.

I know I can reskin Monster of the Week, but if there's an existing game, why go to the effort?

I want something where PCs can have actual combat power, so not Delta Green/Call of Cthulhu.

I'd probably just modify and reskin an OSR system as needed myself

gourdcaptain posted:

3rding the recommendation of Battle Century G for a purpose built Mecha game

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

gourdcaptain posted:

The mecha hack maybe? http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/242856/The-Mecha-Hack

It’s very lightweight but pretty customisable, and looks like it does cool things with reactor power and heat management.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

clockworkjoe posted:

Are there any RPGs set in the modern real world but with a focus on fighting weird sci-fi nasties and PCs can have over the top psychic powers/skills etc? Ideally it would be monster of the week, but entirely sci-fi themed instead of magic/supernatural.
There are so many modern dark urban fantasy games where you get to fight with cool powers that I'm at a loss to even begin a list. It's just that most of them are more occult than sci-fi, and in many of them you are also monsters.

Unbidden
Eden's Buffy, Angel, Conspiracy X, Army of Darkness, and WitchCraft can all work for this depending on what tone you want
The Laundry Files

And for more supernatural horror there's Chill, Dread (not that one, the other one), In Dark Alleys, Bureau 13 if you want silly, and of course Kult.

To do what you want, you may have to stretch a little bit to encompass stuff that's more cyberpunk or post-apocalypse, and muck with the timeline. I encourage you to check out Eldritch Skies and Maschine Zeit, and take a look at Stolze's Out of the Violent Planet, which is more of a sketch to adapt to another ORE game than a complete game. Oh, and look at his eCollapse anyway.

I'm totally thinking out loud and reediting this post as stuff comes to mind.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 27, 2018

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

clockworkjoe posted:

I know I can reskin Monster of the Week, but if there's an existing game, why go to the effort?

I want something where PCs can have actual combat power, so not Delta Green/Call of Cthulhu.

I think the upcoming Onyx Path game, Deviant, is going to be a lot like that. Less fantasy, more sci-fi than most of their games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gourdcaptain posted:

Battle Century G is literally the unofficial Super Robot Wars RPG, and lets you create any kind of mecha (real or super, transforming, etc.) and have them all in the same party without any issues.

The alternative is LANCER, which is still in beta and formatted like poo poo, but is a pretty great hack of Shadow of the Demon Lord that lets you play fairly crunchy, Titanfall-style mech combat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gradenko_2000 posted:

modern d20, particularly with the Urban Arcana supplement?

As someone who has just spent pages stumping for D&D: please god no don't tell people to play D20 Modern. Nobody deserves that.

Meinberg posted:

I think the upcoming Onyx Path game, Deviant, is going to be a lot like that. Less fantasy, more sci-fi than most of their games.

Deviant is probably the better fit, but since it's not out yet, Demon: The Descent might be another option. It has some crossover with the more mystical / supernatural elements of the nWoD setting, but its primary focus is on a gigantic, incomprehensible world-spanning machine that creates mechanical servitors, some of whom go rogue (and become the player characters) and then have to hide and scavenge in its shadow. It's a bit like a cross between a Cold War spy thriller and being a rogue program in The Matrix.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This situation is a perfect illustration of why D20 was a design failure: You ought to be able to plug stuff from other D20 games into Spycraft to make the game clockworkjoe wants, but that's not how it actually works in practice. In practice it doesn't work at all.

There's a ton of games that do what you want to do, with the big exception that they're almost all "agents/vigilantes vs. the occult" instead of vs. aliens or whatever. But if you're looking at MotW, maybe you'd be comfortable with taking one of those games and just reskinning everything?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Halloween Jack posted:

There are so many modern dark urban fantasy games where you get to fight with cool powers that I'm at a loss to even begin a list. It's just that most of them are more occult than sci-fi, and in many of them you are also monsters.

Unbidden
Eden's Buffy, Angel, Conspiracy X, Army of Darkness, and WitchCraft can all work for this depending on what tone you want
The Laundry Files

And for more supernatural horror there's Chill, Dread (not that one, the other one), In Dark Alleys, Bureau 13 if you want silly, and of course Kult.

To do what you want, you may have to stretch a little bit to encompass stuff that's more cyberpunk or post-apocalypse, and muck with the timeline. I encourage you to check out Eldritch Skies and Maschine Zeit, and take a look at Stolze's Out of the Violent Planet, which is more of a sketch to adapt to another ORE game than a complete game. Oh, and look at his eCollapse anyway.

I'm totally thinking out loud and reediting this post as stuff comes to mind.

I want sci-fi, not dark urban fantasy. Think Fringe, or Global Frequency. In fact, Global Frequency is very close in terms of game framing/structure that I want todo.

If I have to hack a game to do it, I'll stick with Monster of the Week. Conspiracy X is close, but I wanted something more tool-kit-ish, like a pbta game. I guess no one has made a game that fits my requirements.

Edit: Hmm, this might be a good reason to try out the FATE horror tool kit: https://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-horror-toolkit/

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 27, 2018

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Halloween Jack posted:

This situation is a perfect illustration of why D20 was a design failure: You ought to be able to plug stuff from other D20 games into Spycraft to make the game clockworkjoe wants, but that's not how it actually works in practice. In practice it doesn't work at all.

In the Ancient Times someone ran a "D20 Anything" games in forum 103 and it immediately fell apart when we realized that you can't really interface M&M characters with BESM d20 and expect the system to extrude anything rational or even comprehensible.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

fool_of_sound posted:

There seems to be a lot of goons who ostensibly like 4e, but then never run, play in, or promote crunchy games :shrug:

Then come to the light of the Gloomhaven thread, where people play crunchy tactical combat games all the time. Admission is only $140 a head.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I too wish to play a 20lb board game that would be better served as a video game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

golden bubble posted:

Then come to the light of the Gloomhaven thread, where people play crunchy tactical combat games all the time. Admission is only $140 a head.

Yeah this is an extremely legit point, these days if you want a crunchy tactical dungeon crawling experience with good, solid rules there isn't anyone making that in RPG flavor but Gloomhaven exists, so.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pollyanna posted:

I too wish to play a 20lb board game that would be better served as a video game.
well....I have bad news about precise grid-based tactical wargaming in general

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's cool to have extremely deep and interesting tactical combat and the computer should do the grunt-work for you.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As someone who has just spent pages stumping for D&D: please god no don't tell people to play D20 Modern. Nobody deserves that.

It really is too bad d20 modern had so many problems...because conceptually it wasn't in a bad place. Urban Arcana in particular had a great style as a magical modern world, and some of the best modern-day fantasy art out there (I'll always love you pimp gnoll). Even the general idea of dividing classes up by ability score is actually a pretty interesting idea at heart.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pollyanna posted:

lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how the gently caress is Unity not out yet

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fool_of_sound posted:

There seems to be a lot of goons who ostensibly like 4e, but then never run, play in, or promote crunchy games :shrug:
Imagine living in a country where the only cheese you can buy is Velveeta or American cheese singles or, if you're real lucky, processed red cheddar. Imagine finding an an OK mature white cheddar only for the Velveeta fans to get angry and kill production. You try to build a local demand for something, anything a little different, but no-one is interested. "I just finally stopped noticing the horrible plastic taste of Kraft" they say. "Why would I start over learning to tolerate this, uh, 'gowda'?"

One day while debating which brand of farm-fresh organic yoghurt with hand-pressed, hand-picked berries you want to buy today, you are accosted by a man with a cart overflowing with Cheeselike(tm), now with Baconlike(tm). It contains grit. And mould. And a severed human finger.

"Why don't you eat cheese," asks the idiot.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 27, 2018

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

clockworkjoe posted:

I want sci-fi, not dark urban fantasy. Think Fringe, or Global Frequency. In fact, Global Frequency is very close in terms of game framing/structure that I want todo.

If I have to hack a game to do it, I'll stick with Monster of the Week. Conspiracy X is close, but I wanted something more tool-kit-ish, like a pbta game. I guess no one has made a game that fits my requirements.

Edit: Hmm, this might be a good reason to try out the FATE horror tool kit: https://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-horror-toolkit/

Mutant Chronicles is sci-fi with over the top gear and psychic powers and has a kind of dark semi-cyberpunk SF setting. There's a faction in the setting that exists to be a sort of Global-Frequency like organization depending on the setting time period you're using, The Cabal, which exists to combat corruption. The existential threat in the setting is relatively singular though--the Dark Symmetry takes several different forms but they all ultimately serve one source.

It's crunchier than a PbtA game by a long shot and uses a lifepath generation system that is fairly good--it's something that might be worth tweaking slightly to be sure people get what they want but it mostly doesn't seem to be full of traps.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm finally watching Macross and it's giving me all new reasons to be annoyed at Palladium's 1980s treatment of Robotech.
I have a whole rant about how Siembieda saw a show about love and humanity during an interstellar war and made a bland military RPG with giant robots. Like, even with the Palladium system you could at the very least include rules for how pop music messes up Zentraedi but I guess it's too much :effort: or something.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

Imagine living in a country where the only cheese you can buy is Velveeta or American cheese singles or, if you're real lucky, processed red cheddar. Imagine finding an an OK mature white cheddar only for the Velveeta fans to get angry and kill production. You try to build a local demand for something, anything a little different, but no-one is interested. "I just finally stopped noticing the horrible plastic taste of Kraft" they say. "Why would I start over learning to tolerate this, uh, 'gowda'?"

One day while debating which brand of farm-fresh organic yoghurt with hand-pressed, hand-picked berries you want to buy today, you are accosted by a man with a cart overflowing with Cheeselike(tm), now with Baconlike(tm). It contains grit. And mould. And a severed human finger.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

I agree, RPG elitism is as loving stupid and useless as cheese elitism.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

I agree, RPG elitism is as loving stupid and useless as cheese elitism.
If eating gouda and making fun of velveeta counts as cheese elitism for you then cheesus man I am so sorry :sympathy:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Well I guess one way to introduce newbies to this hobby is by doing a marathon spree of every terrible argument this forum has has about RPGs for the past 8 years

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

If you're cool with Fate, what about Atomic Robo? Maybe mix it with the horror toolkit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ewen Cluney posted:

I have a whole rant about how Siembieda saw a show about love and humanity during an interstellar war and made a bland military RPG with giant robots. Like, even with the Palladium system you could at the very least include rules for how pop music messes up Zentraedi but I guess it's too much :effort: or something.

I'm coming to the end of a Macross Frontier and Delta watchthrough. Amazingly enough, Delta is actually explaining how pop music messes up the Zentraedi. It could have been the series' Midichlorian Moment, but it's actually working. Frontier is amazing; Delta also pretty good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well I guess one way to introduce newbies to this hobby is by doing a marathon spree of every terrible argument this forum has has about RPGs for the past 8 years

haha yeah pack it in boys, we did it

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Splicer posted:

:wtc:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Do you have DNDPTSD??

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Man, I rolled on the random affliction tables and all I got was gayness. They really need to fix those in the next edition update.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well I just got literally robbed, gently caress my life

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

I literally thought you were talking about the recent Supreme Court retirement and the nature of the two party system in the United States of America before I realize you were talking about something a lot less important. I don't know how to take that.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Countblanc posted:

how the gently caress is Unity not out yet

Seconded, can the folks who got it bug the Kickstarter some more please

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Wow, that sucks all kinds of poo poo. My condolences, bro.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

poo poo, condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Terrible situation. I say that as someone who has been almost kidnapped during a robbery.