Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
May update!

Spokes posted:

No credit card debt (current balance is ~$5200 on a ~$45000 salary)
Lose 24 pounds (current weight is 240).
Keep my home office tidy

Done,
Working on it,
Done (managed to fit a rowing machine in there to pump out some sets when work is slow, too!)

I'm going to revise these to my new goals:

Increase 401k contribution to 8% (currently 6% which is where employer match maxes out)
$20,000 buffer in Emergency Fund.
$2000 (one month's expenses) available in checking separate from Emergency Fund and what's budgeted in the current month. I want to be able to budget off a fixed amount every month and not what I earn that month.
$10,000 invested.

And most importantly:
Enough set aside or withheld to prevent next year's taxes from cutting into the above amounts

The first half of the year was a real lesson in pulling myself out of a hole and hopefully I don't have to repeat it again. See everyone in July!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
Student loans paid off last year, emergency fund more than padded, 2019 IRA locked and loaded so for the rest of 2018:

1) Take one more vacation with the new lady friend

2) Get three of the four Vanguard funds up to Admiral shares

3) No babies

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Q2 update!

Potrzebie posted:

Potrzebie posted:
Bought house, final down payment march 2018. Baby #2 arrived 1:st of May 2018

Goals:

*Not implode economy. So far so good! Living in a house is expensive though. All these unexpected little things. Like getting your bike stolen, including child seat and helmet. That sucked.
*Keep up savings goal of 30% of take home salary. Since I went back to work I have yet to have a normal, fullt time month, so I am way behind on this. We plan on renting out the basement after the summer, that should help.
*Keep growing with company, keep salary growth. Sort of kinda. No progres here. Got headhunted for a managerial position at the IT department in one of the largest law firms in Sweden, but then the partners at the largest office decided to GTFO and start two new firms so that recruitment was put on hold. Would have increased my salary some 20-25% but I think I dodged a bullet.
*Move my rear end before I develop total dadbod. If at first you don't succeed try and try again. Biking to and from work all day erry day un less I'm sick or need the car after work. Still not fit

EDIT TO ADD:
*Open tax-advantaged account for baby #2. Save $70 per child per month. This is the most important thing. Done! Automatic monthly savings started
*Find person we like to live in our basement in order to reduce our CoL. Time to start looking into this
*Have nice enough vacation. We plan to go on a road trip this summer Turns out the new member of the family hates cars. We're taking the unresponsible route instead and going to Vietnam for two weeks this fall.

Q2 was the first where all time and money was spent in the house rather than our old flat. There have been many many one-time purchases such as a mower, a grill, furniture and so on. Even though we mostly bought stuff from thrift stores the costs pile up. Looking at installing solar panels on the roof; this will cost about $11k after government incentives and have a RoR of about 8% per annum. With mortgage rates as low as they are this seems like a no brainer to me.

E: Speeling

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

June 2018 is almost in the books.

Current Liabilities -
- Approximately $380,000 of student loans all at usurious rates, but ALL eligible for forgiveness through public service and qualifying payments in 3 to 5 years. I've done the math on whether to refinance or to keep making payments in pursuit of forgiveness and it turns out forgiveness puts us way, way ahead in the long run (even if you consider the repayment taxable income which the DoE currently states it is not).
- Approximately 22 months into a ($240,000 remaining) mortgage @ 3.2% on a 5/1 ARM. Decision will need to be made to try to repay in full or refinance.
- Approximately $40,000 remaining in car loan at 2%.
- Approximately $22,000 remaining on car 2 loan at 1%.
- No other debts.

Current Assets -
- Home assessed at $280
- Cars worth $40 and $20 a piece
- Retirement savings worth $300 (it was a very good year)
- Emergency fund and advanced budgeted spending on-hand

Net worth -
- Just about zero. It depends on the whims of the market whether we're slightly negative to slightly positive.

By end of Q2:
- Breach zero net worth. This one depends on the whims of the market gods, but between our post-tax brokerage, our retirement accounts, the fluctuating real estate market, the depreciation on our autos and our cash balance, I think we've just squeaked over the line.
- Acquire MBA. Done, graduated with academic distinction at the top of my class. Had leveraged this already into a promotion and raise. Nothing further to do.

By end of Q3:
- Pursue baby 2. Working on it.

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. Automatic.
- Under 80% value remaining on the mortgage so we can refinance if we have to. Don't know if we're going to do this one or just ice it with the plan that we'll move in 2021.

Yearly Goals:
- Acquire second medical directorship, commensurate pay increase and administrative time benefit. I've been told that this one is coming.
or
- Leave and found a startup. Not right now for me, thanks.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt. So far, so good.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. University president has agreed, uncertain of the timeline. This won't happen this year.

Stretch Personal Goals
- One muscle up. This project is proceeding quite nicely, I've been able to do negative work, and I can do a band-assist muscle up on the bar, which is around where I need to be to get this done before January 1.
- Thirty (30) new books read. I've done 28 this year, so my stretch goal is increased.
- Rower used 100 times. Well behind on this goal, it's going to be closer to 40 times on the year, but mostly because I've been going to the gym so much.
- Cook 48 meals. I'm on track for this, and have started eating vegetarian, so I'm learning to cook some fun, interesting foods.
- Clean basement to where I would be comfortable hosting a World Cup viewing party. I was ready to write this one off as a failure, but then managed to make some tremendous progress this last week on vacation, so I'm counting it as a win. I hosted friends down there for the Sweden / Germany game and managed to acquire a gently used, tournament quality Tornado foosball table for less than $400, so I'm quite pleased. I might spring for a big loving television if July looks good financially.
- Write a book to self-publish I've been doing some fiction writing for a competition with some friends, and while it's not a "book," I aim to have written 5,000 words for a short story competition we're having by the end of the month.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
What are the reset terms on your ARM? Depending upon the reset terms and the exact circumstances of the market in two years from now, you could still be well below market for a while even when your rate begins resetting. That being said given your household income I would probably just throw money at it and retire it after the reset rather than try to refinance.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

howdoesishotweb posted:

Goals:
- Pay off an extra $4000 per month towards the student loan, with goal payoff in 3 years. Stretch goal: Extra $5000 to payoff in 2.5 years. Meeting stretch goal, current balance 226k->180k. Might dump 20k more in now and at least that in December
- Increase 529 to 400/mo/child on track
- Fight lifestyle creep tooth and nail. In particular limit house furnishing budget Needed to replace furnace and HVAC and have bought furnishings. Overall happy with what we have spent
- Increase charity to 5% net pay on track, goal is 12k donated
- Keep my '06 Acura until my student loan is paid off. I was rightly mocked on this forum for buying this right out of school, however it has lasted 8 years with minimal repairs beyond brakes and tires. Overall a+ purchase would buy used Acura again Well I test drove an Audi S5 this past weekend so I have low hopes for this one
- Maybe carry less cash? Makes me nervous Have dumped excess cash in a taxable account on a monthly basis

Overall happy with progress. Net worth broke 0 last month excluding home equity

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What are the reset terms on your ARM? Depending upon the reset terms and the exact circumstances of the market in two years from now, you could still be well below market for a while even when your rate begins resetting. That being said given your household income I would probably just throw money at it and retire it after the reset rather than try to refinance.

My only hesitation with this is that we probably intend to move before the ARM terms even expire on this house, and might need the money to pay for a down payment on a new house instead.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

2018 Goals

1. No. New. Debt. Period.
2. Savings: Save $15k in house down payment fund. Starting point: zero.
3. Savings: Maintain a $2k balance in medium term savings at all times.
4. Debt: Pay off my FedLoan balance (6.8% interest, $7500 balance)
5. Debt: Get NelNet loan balance < $10k (4.25% interest, $12,900 balance)

Stretch Goals:
6. Save $20k in house down payment fund
7. Earn some side income

1. On Track
2. Hrm...no real progress from Q1 ($6300) on this, but for a good reason
3. Currently at zero, again for a good reason
4. DONE! Decided to just wipe it out, which affected 2 and 3
5. Sitting at $12, 400.

Omne fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 30, 2018

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

drat, I had been waiting for someone to make this thread, and I just noticed that this had been up at the top stickied.

2017 was a good year for me. Net worth more than doubled from $16k to $37k, got an 11% raise, and paid off several of my student loans. Time to start getting high scores.

Current figures: 31 years old, make 50k/yr. No debt other than one student loan.
2018 goals in order:

Pay off remaining student loan, preferably by my birthday on April 23rd, currently at $2491.
Max Roth IRA contributions
Get emergency fund up to $10k (currently at $8k)
Up 401k contributions to 5% (currently set to 3% to max employer match)
Start house down payment fund
Continue to never carry a balance on CCs.

Q2 update
Just put $850 in to roth today, up to $2800, so past halfway there
A mere $900 towards house downpayment, but I'm getting there.

Rest of these goals were pretty much weak rear end goals that were a given when I made this post.

New goals are to:
Get roth maxed by the end of 2018, so I don't have to throw money towards 2018 in 2019.
Get $3000 towards house down payment by the end of the year. It's not much, but I anticipate being able to put much more towards it each month next year.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Continuing the status quo.

June update

Goals:

- Max Roth IRAs
- Meet company match on HSA On track
- Meet company match on 401k On track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 On track
- 50/month in son's 529 On track
- Buy a new minivan with more than 75% cash
- Help my wife make money on Etsy
- Try to get at least 6 weeks of paternity (my company has no paternity leave policy). Worst case - 2 weeks off, and 4 weeks work from home. Best case - 6 weeks off with sporadic working from home when I can, but not 40 hours per week

Maybes:

- Finish cleaning up the basement and turn it into a play area. Not going crazy with finishing the basement, but getting carpet remnants and some cheap furniture will make it nicer
- Release another iPhone app. Actually monetize this one
- If my current job doesn't get better, start looking for a new one

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

June!

Raise net worth from 101k to 134k: $115.1k (Behind track!)
Increase house fund from 11.2k to 20.7k: $15.4k (Behind track, but just barely.)
Increase e-fund from 7.6k to 9.6k: $9.6k DONE!
Contribute $2.6k to Roth IRA: $1320 (On track!)
Pay ~3k out of pocket for college: $2950 DONE!

Keepin' on keepin' on.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

More or less failing, what ya gonna do

paternity suitor posted:

2018:
Max out 401k - on track
Cash savings back to $15k (Currently $10k) woops had a $9k business expense, back down to $6k
Payoff second mortgage (~$37k) when taxable account hits about $240k. Taxable account right now = $220k Taxable account is exactly the same lol
Finish roofdeck (~$3k) done
Income goal: $130k could be close with new roommate bringing in ~$10k a year
New secondary income idea (old idea from ~3 years ago is being ended) brought in a roommate, negotiating with friend to co-own rental property

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know where else to post this, but I came to humble brag slightly.

8 months ago I had $13000 in credit card debt, had no health insurance, and had $0 in retirement savings.

I am currently Debt Free for the first time in my adult life, am fully insured, and I am maxing out my works RRSP match.

Holy poo poo what a ride. also I make like 35k per year lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

loving A, poster of record. You should brag about that, it was a lot of work!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

8 months ago I had $13000 in credit card debt, had no health insurance, and had $0 in retirement savings.

I am currently Debt Free for the first time in my adult life, am fully insured, and I am maxing out my works RRSP match.

That’s loving awesome.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Mezzanon posted:

BFC is all about humble bragging, good job home boy/girl

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Mezzanon posted:

Good work!! Really, really excellent work.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Mezzanon posted:

This is where you come to post this, this is where you come for the adulation this inspires in all of us. Congratulations on this enormous accomplishment!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mezzanon posted:

you are a stud

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Mezzanon posted:

You're the real MVP.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Mezzanon posted:

What an accomplishment. Be proud!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seriously, I look at those numbers and it’s humbling. Amazing stuff.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Mezzanon posted:

Holy crap dude, that is amazing! Brag to the moon, you loving deserve it!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

June-a-roonie

Guest2553 posted:

1) Save 24k saved 2250 this month for cumulative total of 10800.
2) Get recommended and selected for a promotion at work I've done as much as I can this year, either I get it or don't and we'll find out together once it happens. Work tempo is picking up but I'm doing a lot of meaningful work in many arenas while largely enjoying it and still coming home on time. I could live with status quo for a bit longer if I don't get selected without becoming terminally cynical.
3) Read a book every month Done.
4) Get (back) into shape and look good naked by 1) working out at least 5 times a week I've been staying active (paddling, cycling, hiking) but haven't been doing intense workouts because of a torn ligament.
2) eating a big-rear end salad for at least 5 days a week Batting about .500 for the month due to mental rut induced by not working out. Totally controllable and probably just :effort: on my part :rip:

Stretch goal is to do a 2-3 day backpacking trip per month once the weather gets warm and go on a hunting trip. Did a 40 mile backpacking trip over a couple days/nights. Starting to plan the next couple outings too. Good chance I'll be away for work during deer season so I might not get to hunt anything other than rabbits on crown land.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

July - Hemorrhaging Money

Raise net worth from 101k to 134k: $117.8k (Behind track!)
Increase house fund from 11.2k to 20.7k: $16.4k (Behind track by just a few hundred.)
Contribute $2.6k to Roth IRA: $1540 (On track!)

July is historically the month I spend way too much money on everything because it's summer and I'm not working. Yikes.

Washington State teachers are in a weird place right now where our state salary schedule is no longer a thing and all districts are in open negotiation for salaries.

My district, like many, is still fighting back and forth on how much of a raise we should get over the next two years.

(Keep in mind salaries have risen a whopping 6% over the 10 years I have been a teacher...)

It's making planning in advance really hard. I know what my end of July and end of August paychecks will look like, but that's it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

July Update

July 2018 is finalized. Hard to believe 2018 is more than halfway done. Big decision for us is to take the $14K surplus we ran on the July bonuses and plow it into our mortgage to refinance to a conventional loan, to save it in a CD ladder toward a down payment on the next house (probably 36 months away on making this move), or to buy some more stock. The most we'd need for our next down payment is $140K, we have equity to the tune of $37K in the house already and if we tighten our belts we can save the down payment in less than a year.

I think I've decided to buy some more stock, but wanted to reason it out loud.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Liabilities -
- Approximately $380K of student loans all at usurious rates, but ALL eligible for forgiveness through public service and qualifying payments in 4 to 6 years. I've done the math on whether to refinance or to keep making payments in pursuit of forgiveness and it turns out forgiveness puts us way, way ahead in the long run (even if you consider the repayment taxable income which the DoE currently states it is not).
- Approximately 22 months into a ($240K remaining) mortgage @ 3.2% on a 5/1 ARM. We have decided we'll be relocating before the terms of the ARM expire.
- Approximately $45 remaining in car loan at 2%.
- Approximately $25 remaining on car 2 loan at 1%.
- No other debts.

Current Assets -
- Home assessed at $280
- Cars worth $35 and $20 a piece
- Retirement savings worth $370 (it has been a very good economic cycle)
- Emergency fund and advanced budgeted spending on-hand

Net worth -
- About 100K. Holy loving poo poo.

By end of Q2:
- Breach zero net worth. It's incredible to me how quickly this one happened.
- Acquire MBA. Done, graduated with academic distinction at the top of my class. Had leveraged this already into a promotion and raise. Nothing further to do.

By end of Q3:
- Pursue baby 2. Working on it.

By end of Q4:
- Under 80% value remaining on the mortgage so we can refinance if we have to. We've decided to ice this one! We have been looking at real estate near constantly and have the plan that we'll move in Summer, 2021.

Yearly Goals:
- Acquire second medical directorship, commensurate pay increase and administrative time benefit. I've been told that this one is coming.
or
- Leave and found a startup. Not right now for me, thanks.

- Acquire any new debt. So far, so good.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. University president has agreed, January 1, 2020! loving exhilarating.

Stretch Personal Goals
- One muscle up. This project is proceeding quite nicely, I've been able to do negative work, and I can do a band-assist muscle up on the bar, which is around where I need to be to get this done before January 1.
- Thirty (30) new books read. I've done 38 this year, so my stretch goal is increased to 52.
- Rower used 100 times. Well behind on this goal, it's going to be closer to 40 times on the year, but mostly because I've been going to the gym so much. I'm comfortable failing this one.
- Cook 48 meals. I'm on track for this, and have started eating vegetarian, so I'm learning to cook some fun, interesting foods. So far, so good.
- Clean basement to where I would be comfortable hosting a World Cup viewing party. I was ready to write this one off as a failure, but then managed to make some tremendous progress this last week on vacation, so I'm counting it as a win. I hosted friends down there for the Sweden / Germany game and managed to acquire a gently used, tournament quality Tornado foosball table for less than $400, so I'm quite pleased. I've decided not to put any more money into the project, but it was a success.
- Write a book to self-publish I'm going to abandon this goal. We got a LOT busier at work and as a result, my position has gotten far more lucrative.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Not much to report. Should be able to max my roth IRA contributions this year, which I'm stoked about. Will be a first, and I didn't make any 2018 contributions until May so that I could put as much money towards 2017 as possible. I'm feeling good about that.

Feeling good about 10% contribution to 401k. Have considered putting more in, but any more that I take from my paycheck will just decrease the amount I'm putting into my IRA. I'll revisit this once I max out roth contributions.

Net worth is over $50k. That feels nice.

Turned down a promotion the other day. Regional manager wanted to make me manager at the location I work at, and move our current manager to another location. Told him I have zero interest in being a manager. Told my manager about this, and she said that she doesn't even really make that much more than I do, reinforcing my belief I made the right call. I have no interest in dealing with HR bullshit like employees not getting along, hiring/firing, dealing with upset customers, and I don't want to get yelled at about production quotas and advertising. Plus I've been on the QA/training side of things for almost a decade, and don't really want to be on the production side of things.

Still haven't lost any weight. Finally saw my doctor about knee pain that's kept me from running for a few years (half marathons were a hell of a way to keep the weight off), and I'm finally getting physical therapy in a few weeks. Hopefully this helps, and hopefully my lovely insurance doesn't gently caress me with this.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Chugging along. Our son started daycare this week which means childcare costs will nearly double. That shouldn't impact any goals, though, just reduce some of our miscellaneous budgets (vacation / entertainment / eating out / home improvement / etc.).

July update

Goals:

- Max Roth IRAs
- Meet company match on HSA On track
- Meet company match on 401k On track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 On track
- 50/month in son's 529 On track
- Buy a new minivan with more than 75% cash
- Help my wife make money on Etsy
- Try to get at least 6 weeks of paternity (my company has no paternity leave policy). Worst case - 2 weeks off, and 4 weeks work from home. Best case - 6 weeks off with sporadic working from home when I can, but not 40 hours per week

Maybes:

- Finish cleaning up the basement and turn it into a play area. Not going crazy with finishing the basement, but getting carpet remnants and some cheap furniture will make it nicer
- Release another iPhone app. Actually monetize this one
- If my current job doesn't get better, start looking for a new one

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Boring June and July update inline. Skipped updating last month due to Summer being busy with non-financial related things. Not a ton worth reporting.

Grumpwagon posted:

2018 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT - On track
2) If company situation continues to deteriorate, switch career from Software QA to Software Dev - Learning has slowed down somewhat with how busy the summer has been, but still on track.
3) Bring emergency fund up to $19k - Autopilot, at $16.5k now.
4) Max out Roth IRAs - Autopilot
5) Max both our 401(k)s - Autopilot
6) Increase NW to $215k/~50% savings rate - NW is around $188k. Mostly on track.
7) Lose 10 pounds and keep it off - Down 7 pounds for the year. Losing it was supposed to be the easy part of this goal, keeping it off the hard part. Technically on track, but not great.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career (emphasis on house maintenance this year). On track.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

July.

Guest2553 posted:

1) Save 24k saved 2k this month for cumulative total of 12800.
2) Get recommended and selected for a promotion at work Still a few months away from finding out if selected or not. Still keeping engaged with other meaningful projects so I don't have to worry about hating life in the meantime!
3) Read a book every month Done.
4) Get (back) into shape and look good naked by 1) working out at least 5 times a week I spend a lot of time outdoors on the weekends but weekdays are pretty :rip:
2) eating a big-rear end salad for at least 5 days a week Maxed out at 4 like every week :rip:

Stretch goal is to do a 2-3 day backpacking trip per month once the weather gets warm and go on a hunting trip. Went on an overnight trip with my 4 year old kid. Wasn't particularly strenuous but we went outside. Hunting trip might not happen since I'll be away on a work trip.

OK moneywise but I feel like a fat sack of poo poo after falling off the gains train :smith:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Time for an update

Happiness Commando posted:

2018 Goals:

Sock away $25,000 in retirement investments (IRA + brokerage)

I ended up at a job with a 401k, which was new to me. IRA is already maxed, and I'm on track to max out the 401k more or less right at the end of the year. That's $1,000 short of my target, though. I already put $600 in a brokerage account a couple months ago when I was feeling fancy, so I just need to do the same with the $400 summer bonus I got (apparently that's a thing at my company, too) and I'll be there.

Edit: Actually that's not true. The 401k match is pretty lame - 25% up to 6% vested over 3 years, but that still gets me a free $425. That $400 that I could have put in brokerage only gets me hookers or blow, though. Maybe I should put it in an ICO until I can properly afford both.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 4, 2018

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Half-ish Year Update!

2018 Goals that are on Autopilot:
1-Max out retirement plans (I'm just going to lump these together because at this point that's how it feels) On track
2-Max the HSA same caveat as last time, will do this year for sure based on total savings; see below
3-Maintain 529 contributions On track
4-Keep current car to the "breaking point" passed 200,000 miles, and just changed the brakes

BIG HARIY AUDACIOUS GOALS TIME!!!
5-Buy at least one rental property, preferably small multifamily (aka 2-4 units) It's at 23k saved so far. I can definitely max the retirement accounts, but out of laziness still look at syndication deals
6-Dedicate 10 hours/month to side hustle with best friend Good news: we can cover our expenses with cash flow! Bad news: he's moving so we had to shudder things for a part of this month
7-NON FINANCIAL: Dedicate an average of 1 hour/day to exercise this has been undulating to say the least. Not giving up though!
8-NON-FINANCIAL: Read an average of at least 1 book per month (superstretch: 1 per week)meeting the superstretch still! :woop:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

August - :homebrew:

Raise net worth from 101k to 134k: $120.5k (Behind track!)
Increase house fund from 11.2k to 20.7k: $17.3k (Behind track by $200.)
Contribute $2.6k to Roth IRA: $1760 (On track!)

Yesterday, our (teacher's) union ratified a new contract that will give me a ~12.3% increase in pay over two years. I'm pretty happy about that.

I'm also reaching the highest educational pay level, which will give me an additional ~$4k/year raise.

All in all, this school year my monthly take home pay should increase ~$600 starting at the end of October. I might not be able to get my education verification stuff in that early, though, so some of the increase might have to wait until November.

With this influx of new funds, I should be able to smash these goals. Exciting!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Is it the end of August already? I feel like so many of our goals are on autopilot, but we've made some really substantial progress.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh man, exciting stuff!

Current Liabilities -
- Approximately $380,000 of student loans all at usurious rates, but ALL eligible for forgiveness through public service and qualifying payments in 4 to 6 years. I've done the math on whether to refinance or to keep making payments in pursuit of forgiveness and it turns out forgiveness puts us way, way ahead in the long run (even if you consider the repayment taxable income which the DoE currently states it is not).
- Approximately 20 months into a ($240,000 remaining) mortgage @ 3.2% on a 5/1 ARM. We're going to move in 24 months.
- Approximately $50,000 remaining in car loan at 2%.
- Approximately $24,000 remaining on car 2 loan at 1%.
- Some tax liability related to cashing out my crypto holdings early this tax year.

Current Assets -
- Home assessed at $290-300
- Cars worth $40 and $20 a piece
- Retirement savings worth $410 (it's been an exceedingly, incredibly good year)
- "6 month" emergency fund and advanced budgeted spending on-hand

Net worth -
- Somewhere to the tune of $140k. I literally cannot. loving. believe. how fast this moved in our favor.

By end of Q1:
- Pay remainder MBA tuition in full.
- Begin a taxable investment account.
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness.

By end of Q2:
- Breach zero net worth.
- Acquire MBA

By end of Q3:
- Pursue baby 2. I'm hopeful we'll receive some good news on this front moving forward.

By end of Q4:
- Under 80% value remaining on the mortgage so we can refinance if we have to. We're just going to move instead.

Yearly Goals:
- Acquire second medical directorship, commensurate pay increase and administrative time benefit. This is upcoming.
or
- Leave and found a startup. Not going to do it.

- Acquire any new debt. So far so good, might consider trading my car for something more practical and less fun.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. University president has agreed, will begin January 1, 2020.

Stretch Personal Goals
- One muscle up. Really beginning to get into the final stretch with this goal.
- Thirty (30) new books read. I'm at 42 for the year so far, going for 52.
- Rower used 100 times. I've been going to the gym instead 2-5x a week, the rower is really just when I can't get there.
- Cook 48 meals. Great, we signed up for a vegan meal service called Purple Carrot, I think I'm somewhere around 36 so far.
- Clean basement to where I would be comfortable hosting a World Cup viewing party. Done, yay France.
- Write a book to self-publish. Scrapped.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh nice you got that 457 you lucky bastard

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You gonna move out of your $300k house and to something more expensive? Don't go crazy bro, you're building the EAT FASTER Empire!!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh nice you got that 457 you lucky bastard

$140,000 annual tax advantaged retirement contribution space now protected from RMDs by the Trump administration? :getin:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You gonna move out of your $300k house and to something more expensive? Don't go crazy bro, you're building the EAT FASTER Empire!!

See above, but yeah I think we want to move to another school district that's going to require like 50% more moregage. :smith:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

See above, but yeah I think we want to move to another school district that's going to require like 50% more moregage. :smith:
I hope your new place is big enough to build a corn maze.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

$140,000 annual tax advantaged retirement contribution space now protected from RMDs by the Trump administration? :getin:

this is why i could be in favor of single tax advantaged space since the structures are bullshit! why don't i get that!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Autopilot means not much to report on the financial front, and lack of consistency means not much on the health front for August.

However, there was a big (expected & planned, but still big) change on the learning front, which will eventually lead to things to report on the financial side. I'm getting the formal go ahead to start the transition from QA to dev at my current company. Update inline.

Grumpwagon posted:

2018 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT - On track
2) If company situation continues to deteriorate, switch career from Software QA to Software Dev - Starting mentorship next week with a dev at my company with the goal of completing some dev tickets before the end of the year. This should be easily doable. I won't be a full time dev by the end of this, but I make too much as a Sr QA person to just go get a Jr Dev job somewhere (which I feel confident I'm qualified for now), so transitioning at my current company to get some real world dev experience makes sense. I don't hate where I work, but they are kinda dysfunctional, so having the option to leave without taking a pay cut if things truly go off the rails will be nice. I'm also finishing up the online class I've been working on (should be done this week), and starting planning on a pretty big, complicated portfolio project in my spare time. I'll report more on that as progress warrants.
3) Bring emergency fund up to $19k - Autopilot, at $17k now.
4) Max out Roth IRAs - Autopilot
5) Max both our 401(k)s - Autopilot
6) Increase NW to $215k/~50% savings rate - NW is around $197k. On track. Big jump this month, but that's mostly due to my wife updating her 401k balance in YNAB after forgetting to for a couple of months. Still, was nice to see the jump, as without it we were falling slightly behind on the NW goal. Regardless, we've been hitting the savings rate goal all year though, and that's what's actually important.
7) Lose 10 pounds and keep it off - Down 7 pounds for the year. Not bad, but still not consistent. Trying a new method to keep myself on track.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career (emphasis on house maintenance this year). On track. Learned a bunch of bike maintenance stuff which saved several hundred dollars (or possibly a new bike). Gotta do some plumbing work this month, which will involve some learning, although nothing crazy.