Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I lowered the gate. Then I gave the cats some wet food, which they didn't finish. Now little dog is trying everything to get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lil'poo poo is getting himself an attitude. We caught him chewing on one of those moisture pack things I keep the treat bag (that he plundered) this evening. Lil guy jaw locked on the thing and I had to bribe him with another treat to get him to open up. He's also pretty snippy when playing with toys we've found out. Nearly bit the wife when going for a toy she was holding. We've been spoiled by the bagel.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fuccboi's owner got in touch with me from overseas earlier. Apparently him making GBS threads 3 to 4 times a day is normal. He's done that at least as many times in the house today. How do I get this little bastard to hold his poo poo? The usual showering of treats and praise when he does it outside?

Edit - He's apparently 16 months old. I don't remember really having this issue with the bagel when she was that age.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 24, 2018

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Go back to housebreaking basics. Crate or tether him when you're not actively engaged with him, take him out after every meal and play session. Longer walks after breakfast and dinner, as well as him settling into a schedule, may settle his digestive system into more regularity.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

how could someone normalize their dog making GBS threads inside 3-4 times a day :wtc:

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I thought multiple poops a day was normal...we have a staffie mix and she poops first thing, lunchtime, then after work (or up to about 8pm depending on how she's feeling...) then goes overnight (to 5am, grr)...would kill for a dog that could actually make it 9pm to 7am without needing to go out :/ (there's nothing wrong with her, the vet's seen her and is fine with the amount of pooping she does.) She does get three meals a day though, mainly because I can't deal with the whinging for food that happens from two hours after each meal, up until you feed her again...she is over 13 and going senile/blind/deaf though so she gets some leeway. Still doesn't poo poo in the house unless we've been out at least an hour longer than her normal schedule...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The bagel can go once or twice a day and is happy to hold it as long as needed. She still anxiety pees a bit when we leave from time to time, so good with bad. Shitpup doesn't have a full movement, ever. It's like a rat, a single turdlet any time he feels like he needs to. No pattern, no warning.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, crating seems in order. And when you do bring the monster outside, get it nice and tired. Get that 'inside for resting, outside for potty and play' behavior going.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

There's a new puppy coming to our house soon! A friend who is over at my house often is getting a ~9 week old spaniel. It's been a LONG time since I've had a puppy around, and my 15 year old minpin passed away two years ago. Of note, I have a 4 year old kid and 1 year old kid.

What should I be doing to set them up for success? The puppy will be over a lot-- more or less his second home. The 4 year old is both nervous of dogs and extremely gentle, and the 1 year old is basically a puppy himself. My house interior is gated off appropriately, we will have an X-pen outside in the yard, and a bunch of chew toys and a crate.

Suggestions for puppies and kids? Strategies I can tell the bigger one? We've already worked on 'yelp and walk away' when puppy gets rambunctious. Obviously the little one will have to be watched like a hawk, but are there specific behaviors to look out for?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Not sure what you can teach the 1yo beyond not pulling to hard on the puppies tail and ears. The older kid can probably have fun giving commands and rewarding with treats. Might help ease the nervousness by seeing how the puppy will listen to him.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Updated casualty list:

1 - 9 volt battery left out for ~30 seconds
1 - Imported blue ink pen
1 - Couch (Blue ink)
1 - Sectional, uh, section (pissed on it)
1 - Blanket (Blue ink)
1- (Potentially) Roomba (puddle of aforementioned piss)
1 - central air system capacitor (likely coincidence)

EDIT:
1 - vial of expensive perfume
1 - pair of Mrs. Burd's underwear (again)

Right now he's climbed into our shower and is licking the faucet. He has plenty of water. He's a weird little poo poo.

Edit edit -
1 - Sharpie
1 - Bottle of contact fluid.

The last 4 have all been within 15 minutes of each other.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 28, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Man I lost some powdered milk yesterday while at work and was devastated.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is Petland bad? Is it a puppy mill?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Probably.

/e there's just about every reason why you should never get a dog at a box store. PetSmart only host adoption events for dogs to avoid Mills I think.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They're actually the countries biggest supporter of puppy Mills http://m.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/facts/petland_stores.html

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
drat alright, they had a breed my wife really wants but not gonna go there

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I just got a puppy two weeks ago. This isn't my first puppy but my first puppy ever was a breeze. This puppy is now 11 weeks old.

So I'm really struggling: the puppy gets extremely frustrated when you stop her from doing something she has decided to do.
When she tries to get on the couch I have to get her off. She hates that. I've tried persuading her off the couch with treats and toys but eventually she just gets frustrated and starts lunging and biting. She will grab hold of my arm, bite it, and start shaking her head like we are playing a tug game. But she's so persistant, lunging biting grabbing and pulling, even barking.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- yelping and leaving the room.
- standing up like a tree and ignoring her
- picking her up and trying to wait for her to calm down.
- bitter apple spray

When I yelp and leave the room she just jumps on the couch. When I stand up like a tree and ignore her, she bites my toes - - hard. When I try and pick her up and calmly wait for her to calm down, she bites my fingers and hands. When I spray the bitter apple spray she still bites me.

My concern is that it seems aggressive, she's too young to have literal aggression which is why I'm concerned: could she be in pain or hurt or something and that's why she's reacting this way?

We try and walk a lot but we live in the center of a major metropolitan area and she's super scared of people on the walk - - she's also very cute and people charge her to pet her. I never let them pet her if they come charging at the dog but she still gets scared. With that said between digging in the backyard, playing and attempting to get further and further down the street she gets super tired. We train her twice a day fifteen minutes each time. I'm trying to give as much detail as possible so that maybe someone has some experience that could help me. We are trying to schedule a vet appointment because she has some puppy vaginitis and we are going to check if maybe she's uncomfortable and that's driving the behavior.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

First time poster, long time petter

My dog hurt himself yesterday. Went to some friends who have a few acres, and let bingo zoom around their field while we bbq’d. When we were about to sit down to eat, Bingo was scratching at his left eye pretty good.I’m guessing he took a stick to the eye while zooming. At first, it didn’t look too bad. Morning comes around and it doesn’t look any better. Now I’m going to take him to the vet.

Feeling bad for my little bingo boy :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A few questions for you guys:
1. Is Heartguard the best medicine to prevent heartworm?
2. Is Nexguard the best med to prevent fleas/ticks?
3. What's the cheapest place to get Heartguard/Nexguard?
4. Should I vaccinate for lepto/lyme?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Residency Evil posted:

1-3, not sure.

4: Yes. Especially if you live in a rural area with ticks, like I do.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Residency Evil posted:

1. Heartgard is great and also cheap. There are also a lot of equivalent generics that are even cheaper. All of the oral heartworm preventatives are super effective and super safe.
2. Nexgard, Bravecto, and Simparica are closely related drugs, all relatively new, very similar efficacy, and are arguably the best medicines for fleas/ticks these days.
3. If you want the cheapest, you can probably save a few dollars a month buying Nexgard online. Or you can buy it from your vet where you can feel good about supporting a local business, and also feel confident that you’re not buying diverted or counterfeit product which is a real issue with products like this. Heartgard is pretty darn cheap no matter where you get it. If you want cheaper, get a generic.
4. Depends on where you live and what sort of stuff you do with your dog . Find a vet you trust and get the vaccines they recommend.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Residency Evil posted:

One thing to keep in mind about Nexgard and other chewables for flea/tick control is that it doesn’t repel them; it only works once the parasite bites. If your dogs spend a lot of time outside they’re still gonna have ticks crawling on them and likely bring them in the house, if that’s a concern for you. I use Advantix topical because it seems to do a pretty good job as a repellent. The few ticks that do ignore the repellent are almost always already dead when I pick them off.

You need a prescription from your vet for Heartguard, but check Chewy.com for pretty good deals on flea/tick stuff. They do a lot of half off sales, especially off season so I usually just stock up then.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

We're back from vacation and the fatboi is once again in my house. He didn't poo poo in their place once and behaved himself perfectly.

What the hell. Best guess is that this is an excess energy thing like we had with the Husky. I'm going to tweak my workouts to do cardio in our neighborhood and hope the heat doesn't kill both of us. That or it's an attention thing. The guys watching him don't have a dog so I could see this being an only child style complex.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 5, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

StrixNebulosa posted:

1-3, not sure.

4: Yes. Especially if you live in a rural area with ticks, like I do.

Super Grocery Kart posted:

One thing to keep in mind about Nexgard and other chewables for flea/tick control is that it doesn’t repel them; it only works once the parasite bites. If your dogs spend a lot of time outside they’re still gonna have ticks crawling on them and likely bring them in the house, if that’s a concern for you. I use Advantix topical because it seems to do a pretty good job as a repellent. The few ticks that do ignore the repellent are almost always already dead when I pick them off.

You need a prescription from your vet for Heartguard, but check Chewy.com for pretty good deals on flea/tick stuff. They do a lot of half off sales, especially off season so I usually just stock up then.

Crooked Booty posted:

1. Heartgard is great and also cheap. There are also a lot of equivalent generics that are even cheaper. All of the oral heartworm preventatives are super effective and super safe.
2. Nexgard, Bravecto, and Simparica are closely related drugs, all relatively new, very similar efficacy, and are arguably the best medicines for fleas/ticks these days.
3. If you want the cheapest, you can probably save a few dollars a month buying Nexgard online. Or you can buy it from your vet where you can feel good about supporting a local business, and also feel confident that you’re not buying diverted or counterfeit product which is a real issue with products like this. Heartgard is pretty darn cheap no matter where you get it. If you want cheaper, get a generic.
4. Depends on where you live and what sort of stuff you do with your dog . Find a vet you trust and get the vaccines they recommend.

Thanks everyone. We live in downtown Philadelphia, so not really a rural area, but we do take him out to parks on the weekend. I'm fine with Heartgard since it's cheap. Seems like Simparica is the cheapest out of the three flea/tick medications?

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I'm pretty devastated right now and in need of advice.

My 13.5 year old westie that I had growing up is in a bad way. She has been looked after by my parents since I left home. Last October when I was visiting I noticed she had a swollen lump on her abdomen. She was taken to the vet who basically chalked it up to old age and said he wouldn't recommend removal.

I've just come home again yesterday and this lump is now huge. My dad thinks she scraped it at some point and it is ruptured. There's a 10-pence sized hole in the middle of it that continually bleeds and leaks lymph.

I freaked out as soon as I saw this and took her to the vet immediately. My dad tagged along believing that this was a minor thing and that we would have some treatment options..The vet took one look and advised us to talk amongst ourselves about euthanizing her.

This has caused my dad to go into full-on denial mode. He argued with the vet until she would give him antibiotics, who supplied a week-long course but basically said it would make no difference. They weren't able to give us any kind of dressing to cover the open lesion. We've taken the dog home and my dad isn't willing to consider euthanasia. His argument is that while she is still able to walk and eat she should be allowed to carry on. I'm freaking out about the potential for this to rupture further causing her to bleed our or for an infection. I've tried to explain to him how horrible a death like that would be but he just won't listen.

I can't take the dog to be euthed myself because the insurance paperwork is all in my parent's names (plus that would be a lovely thing to do). I can't find any kind of dressing that will adhere to at least keep the site clean. I can't reason with my dad. What the gently caress do I do. I can't fly back home and leave her like this.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I'm pretty devastated right now and in need of advice.

My 13.5 year old westie that I had growing up is in a bad way. She has been looked after by my parents since I left home. Last October when I was visiting I noticed she had a swollen lump on her abdomen. She was taken to the vet who basically chalked it up to old age and said he wouldn't recommend removal.

I've just come home again yesterday and this lump is now huge. My dad thinks she scraped it at some point and it is ruptured. There's a 10-pence sized hole in the middle of it that continually bleeds and leaks lymph.

I freaked out as soon as I saw this and took her to the vet immediately. My dad tagged along believing that this was a minor thing and that we would have some treatment options..The vet took one look and advised us to talk amongst ourselves about euthanizing her.

This has caused my dad to go into full-on denial mode. He argued with the vet until she would give him antibiotics, who supplied a week-long course but basically said it would make no difference. They weren't able to give us any kind of dressing to cover the open lesion. We've taken the dog home and my dad isn't willing to consider euthanasia. His argument is that while she is still able to walk and eat she should be allowed to carry on. I'm freaking out about the potential for this to rupture further causing her to bleed our or for an infection. I've tried to explain to him how horrible a death like that would be but he just won't listen.

I can't take the dog to be euthed myself because the insurance paperwork is all in my parent's names (plus that would be a lovely thing to do). I can't find any kind of dressing that will adhere to at least keep the site clean. I can't reason with my dad. What the gently caress do I do. I can't fly back home and leave her like this.

I’m so sorry, that sounds awful, and your dad is absolutely not helping. Are the vets even telling you what the growth is? Cancer? Some other infection? They’re just looking at her and going “welp, nothing we can do”? I’d be trying a different vet who will at least bother to identify the problem before telling you to euth the dog.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Super Grocery Kart posted:

I’m so sorry, that sounds awful, and your dad is absolutely not helping. Are the vets even telling you what the growth is? Cancer? Some other infection? They’re just looking at her and going “welp, nothing we can do”? I’d be trying a different vet who will at least bother to identify the problem before telling you to euth the dog.

The vet did explain to us that without a biopsy she can't be certain what it is, but that it looks like it's a tumor of some kind. There's one large lump with a smaller one right next to it, and all over her body she has various bumps, some of which have been there for a while and some i'm feeling for the first time. The time before when she was at the vet they looked at it and basically said removal wasn't a viable option because of it's position and the likelihood that she wouldn't survive the anaesthetic.

E: Things escalated and we made the decision to put her down. It was a tough two days or so but she made it pretty clear to us that she'd had enough. Thanks

Whimsicalfuckery fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 7, 2018

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
We're using Seresto collars for flea and tick - any reservations with that approach vs. topical or oral?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

The vet did explain to us that without a biopsy she can't be certain what it is, but that it looks like it's a tumor of some kind. There's one large lump with a smaller one right next to it, and all over her body she has various bumps, some of which have been there for a while and some i'm feeling for the first time. The time before when she was at the vet they looked at it and basically said removal wasn't a viable option because of it's position and the likelihood that she wouldn't survive the anaesthetic.

Has your father had an animal not pass peacefully? Your poor pup may unfortunately be that lesson but approach it from that 'selfish' angle.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I can't find any kind of dressing that will adhere to at least keep the site clean. I can't reason with my dad. What the gently caress do I do. I can't fly back home and leave her like this.

Will the dog wear a shirt to cover the wound? Or a velcro belly band (I think that's what they're called.)? That might hold a dressing in place.

Mad Wack posted:

We're using Seresto collars for flea and tick - any reservations with that approach vs. topical or oral?

I don't live in an area with a tick problem but sometimes we go hiking/camping in tick areas. My vet recommended the collar over topical or oral since we don't need year round tick protection. Just put on the collar a week before tick exposure.

I got the impression that flea and tick collars weren't real popular with owners. And that tick medicine is really location specific.

My dogs are still on Advantage Multi because they haven't had a negative heartworm test yet. That also repels fleas.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I took a cute picture of doggo today

but then realized there's a big BLACK THING on the inside of his back teeth. He just turned 1 last week. I've been using Enzymatic toothpaste on him for the past 3 weeks and will forever, but realized I was definitely not getting all the way back there on the underside of those teeth (so I just did and will remember to in the future!) He was still losing some of his baby teeth as of ~a month ago but I don't think he's lost any since then.

Should I worry about this at all? Is it tooth decay or somethin else?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I am looking for some advice on whether or not it would be better to take my dog with me to Sweden or to leave him at home with my parents.

I will be doing a Master's degree. While I expect the first year to be okay time commitment wise, I am not sure how busy/at home I will be in the second year when I am working on a thesis. I think it will be determined by who I work with. It is also not impossible that I'd be able to take him to the lab with me though. Luckily I will be living with my girlfriend and she is happy to help take care of him, but she is doing a PhD of her own. We are renting an apartment together. I don't think it will be a problem since my dog is about 12 years old so he is not very active anymore, but it will be a big step down from a house with a yard. Climate wise I think he will be very happy, he is an American Eskimo and currently lives in Texas. Stockholm has to be an improvement for all that fur. He is apparently very healthy for his age, but I still worry since I will need to ship him in cargo from Dallas to Frankfurt, and then transfer to Stockholm. I am not sure how I'll live with the guilt if something happens to him on that trip.

The problem I have about leaving him with my mom is that she travels overseas about once a year for 3 months. During that time she does not have a reliable person to watch him and must rely on acquaintances because she have no close friends. This includes people that my mom thinks might kick him but she "just cant find anyone else". My mom is often paranoid but the fact that someone can even be suspected of that and still get a :shrug: reaction from her does not fill me with confidence. She has also decided that doctors are evil and if my dog ever gets sick he will probably not get medical care. But he is used to living in Texas and being around her and her house. My mom will pamper him and since she doesn't work she will be there all day with him (when she isn't overseas).

I feel like both options will suck, but I just want the one that will suck least for my dog :(

Xun fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 7, 2018

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
We've just come home to find our dog has peed on the bed. I'm really loving annoyed about that, but I'm also a bit worried why this has happened. The last time we had an accident like that was when she was trapped in the bedroom by a closed door but that's not the case this time.

And on the bed?? Really?? Not the floor or the mat or her bed at the foot? It has to be our 600quid mattress??

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Used to happen to me more often than I care to think about. Does your dog pee in his/her crate? Regardless, invest in a mattress cover. It'll save your life.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, my friend convinced me to buy a ~$20 waterproof mattress cover on Amazon when I got my puppy luckily. ended up coming in handy one time. would highly recommend; it's really cheap & easy, even if you never end up needing it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Agreed on the mattress cover.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

My dog got attacked a couple weeks ago, another dog had him by the ear and was pretty rough with him for a few seconds before we got him out. He had a little scab on his ear from it but it doesn't seem sore or like it's bothering him, only thing is now when he runs that ear flops around while the other stays mostly stiff. When he's not running it stands up fine, if maybe slightly lower than the other. I have touched it all over and handled it and rubbed the heck out of it and he doesn't give me any indication that he feels any pain.

Basically I'm not sure if maybe he just needs to let it rest a bit longer to heal, or if I should take him to the vet to get his ear checked out, or if anyone would have any idea at all about why his ear is floppy but doesn't appear to be painful to him at all. The other dog was all up on shots and so is he so I'm not super worried about rabies etc.

e: 18 month old Corgi, if that matters

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

any clue why my dog has decided carpet pad is either a delicacy or a mortal enemy that must be destroyed whenever humans are gone?

We have had him for a year and this is a new development. I thought it may have been the old pad was offensive to him but he has done it with the fresh replacement pad I put in. All damage to the carpet seems incidental to him pulling it back so he csn get to the pad.

His schedule has been off a bit but I am not sure thats it. My girlfriend has left for a month but he first tore it up the first day she was gone while I was at work so she wasnt gone long enough for him to have realized she wasnt coming back immediately or anything. I have rearranged furniture to try and hold the corners of the carpet down but he still managed to chew up a bit of the new pad while I was gone for a few hours this evening.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I just got a very diverse mutt puppy (11 weeks) from the rescue and I'm super pumped. She has a very gentle play bite and never barks or cries (until I crate her at night). One thing I'm a little hung up on is where her crate should be. I'm in a one bedroom apartment most of which is an open/connected kitchen and living room with nice easy to wipe up hardwood. but then I have my bedroom which has carpet.

I put the crate in my room so we could be a little closer at night and also have an extra wall to contain her crying at night from my neighbors.

Problem is I try to keep my bedroom shut in the day, we spend most all our time in living room/kitchen so she can only have accidents on the hardwood. However I think I'm supposed to be crate training her to "hang out" in the crate often during the day. But she just wants to be in the room I'm in so shes never gonna go lay down her crate if I'm not near. If I move it to the living room will that make her go crazier at night or will the extra training impressions be worth it? I'm exhausted and all advice welcome

Mr. Pool fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

What do you want your final routine to be when your pup is grown? Do you her crated every night? While you are gone? Both?

I keep my bedroom closed while I'm gone and my dogs are allowed to stay out at night and sleep in my bed if they want. They're adults though. I have my kennels in my living room. I quit crating my larger dog early since she hates it and behaves fine out. The smaller one used to pee on stuff when I was gone so she would stay in her crate when I left. I started leaving her out a couple of weeks ago and it's been fine so far. We'll see.