Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Quick, somebody lend me like, $950

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1991-bmw-850i/1364896368?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If I owned one that would be insane to pass up for parts alone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

If I owned one that would be insane to pass up for parts alone.

Or make a coffee table out of the engine and throw a 350 chevy in it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

It's worth it, IMO.

Edit: Aaaannnndd it's gone.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Veteran craigslisters, I'd appreciate an opinion.

I've got an 82 Datsun 280ZX. Bought it from my neighbor for $500 after it sat in their yard for 10 years. Got it running as documented in a thread on this forum, involving going through the fuel system and replacing the transmission. New clutch master & slave. New tires, battery, etc. I'm probably $1300-1500 into it.

It's been running like poo poo for a while, misfiring and smoky, and I got sick of loving around with it. Also realized after living in NM for a while that a Jeep would be a hell of a lot more useful for my life. So I put it up on Craigslist for $1000.

Tonight I went and poked around some more and on a whim disconnected & reconnected the air flow meter. I must have rubbed off some corrosion or (god help me) just finally plugged it in "right", because now the car runs fine again. I feel like a dumb poo poo but at least it wasn't something worse.

I've already had some interest for it at $1k with the "runs poorly, bring a trailer" disclaimer (one guy wants to trade me a Saab 9000 which is triggering my automotive ADD hard but I'm trying to resist). My question is: should I raise the price a little now that it's running properly and could actually be driven home by a buyer? Or is $1k for a 280ZX with ruined front seats, totally oxidized paint, and bad suspension all I should really hope to get?

I'm also thinking about keeping it now, but I'd also resigned myself to selling it...

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

A 280zx is way cooler than a jeep or a saab 9000, keep it!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Pull the ad, anyone that's already got your number tell them you've repaired it and are driving it for a while, testing to see if the problem comes back.
Drive it a bit and think if you still want to get rid of it, relist at a higher price if you do (saying extra money spent fixing it if any old buyers try call you out later).
No point changing the price on an ad already online, no point saying it's fixed until you have owned it for a while longer to make sure the problem doesn't come back in a week.
E: also fix the paint

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 26, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Not sure how desirable that era of Z is. But I'd say 1-2k is very reasonable if it runs well.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
Went to look at this today: https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/cummins/6600460505.html

quote:

1991 F350 crew cab long bed, 2wd

Texas truck, no rust. Was repainted about 8 years ago flat black with flat clear. 1997 F250 buckets and console installed in the front. Has gooseneck with flush bed mount.

1994 12 valve Cummins, 7x10 injectors, #100 fuel plate, compound turbos, 5" exhaust.

Built E4OD trans, tugger shift kit, hardened input shaft, billet triple disk converter. Standalone PCS controller.

3.55 posi rear end.

All conversion parts through Destroked and Autoworld. Paint started to lift on the hood and roof over the winter.

it was pretty clean for anything of this age, pretty terrible paint peeling on roof and hood but not a spot of rust anywhere else. holy poo poo, 45 pounds of boost in one of these is nuts.... I'm thinking of offering $6k or so given the random small problems (all average Ford stuff like vacuum lock actuators and cracked 30 year old plastic.)

Please, someone talk me out of buying this... I need a truck and want a 6BT, this is a bit bigger than what I was thinking but holy gently caress, this is fun and supposedly still tows at 18+mpg with how it's geared...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The E4OD transmission I have in the van-of-the-same-era is nothing but trouble with only 150k on the clock attached to a 7.5L gas V8. Never trust it, but if it's as "built" as he says, maybe it doesn't suck. Shifts smooth? Doesn't bog down when going into reverse? No leaks around the pan or anything? How many miles are on it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/1995-buick-hearse/6626935552.html

yaaaaaaaarrrrrr

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

That thing is rad as gently caress goddamn. The little ships wheel!

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

scuz posted:

The E4OD transmission I have in the van-of-the-same-era is nothing but trouble with only 150k on the clock attached to a 7.5L gas V8. Never trust it, but if it's as "built" as he says, maybe it doesn't suck. Shifts smooth? Doesn't bog down when going into reverse? No leaks around the pan or anything? How many miles are on it?

shifted very smooth, even under boost. reverse felt good. pan is spotless. 225k on body, trans build 20k ago. 320k or so on engine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like an aftermarket trans temp gauge/drain plug?

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Looks like an aftermarket trans temp gauge/drain plug?

yeah, exactly that, not an ideal placement but it wasn't a tow vehicle for him so not a priority. all fluids looked as they should. I didn't drain the trans but the oil didn't smell burnt at all. I'm suspicious of an auto in a vehicle with nearly 1000 ft/lbs of tq but he seems to have spent a lot on it... I dunno, if it blows up I could replace it, lots of options with 2wd. does $6k seem reasonable for this tho?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Flexpipe exhaust? That thing instantly says heehawed fuckpile all over it. Avoid.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

DJ Commie posted:

Flexpipe exhaust? That thing instantly says heehawed fuckpile all over it. Avoid.

exhaust routing overall is not ideal but I'm not so sure on the abuse... it's not really tuned aggressively given the content. doesn't smoke at all, EGTs were very low. guy builds race porsches, according to records he's only put 25k on the chassis in 8 years... it has been on CL for a month tho. what else should I be looking out for?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I'd pass man.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

snugglz posted:

it wasn't a tow vehicle for him

Crewcab, dually, diesel swap, painted flat black, not a tow vehicle.... yeah, I'd agree with:

DJ Commie posted:

heehawed fuckpile

Even if the dude who owns it now didn't build it. At least it has a gooseneck, but someone put a lot of "work" into the vehicle to get it where it is now, and then apparently never did much with it. I'd wonder why.

It is pretty neat in concept, though.

boxen fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 27, 2018

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i always thought my friend's dad's probe was cool, tell me why it sucks

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1989-ford-probe-gt-turbo/6623361744.html

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The only thing that sucks about that car is the asking price. I want it.
Almost as much as I want this

Q_res fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 27, 2018

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Brolander posted:

I was born in '89, so my probe desires lie with a '94, but that's a neato looking probe. I'd buy something... better... for $6500 though. ~$4500 though? sure.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Q_res posted:

The only thing that sucks about that car is the asking price. I want it.
Almost as much as I want this

Why can't it be next year, when I'll have $3800?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Brolander posted:

My friend had 2 89 probe gt’s back in like 99-2000. For the quoted hp #s, it was surprisingly quick with the turbo. I want one real bad, but not $6500 bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probes were always interesting to me. I’m also partial to the 2nd gen ones with the V6 that positively siiiiiings if you uncork it.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Agreed. Those K series Mazda V6s were fan-loving-tastic for that time period.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cacafuego posted:

My friend had 2 89 probe gt’s back in like 99-2000. For the quoted hp #s, it was surprisingly quick with the turbo. I want one real bad, but not $6500 bad.

Those things had quite a bit of torque for their day.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
They were always a ripoff, FWD version of the Supra :colbert:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yeah the Turbo MX-6 and Probes were extremely fast for their time, and somewhat impressive even today.

Frond fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 28, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Nocheez posted:

They were always a ripoff, FWD version of the Supra :colbert:

And the BMW E31 8 series was just a RWD ripoff of the Probe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Trivia: The Probe was originally going to be a new generation Mustang.

That's another car that was drat popular at the time, but I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw one in the wild.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It falls into the trap of cool but not quite desirable so most are long gone, destroyed by a couple generations of high school students.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Frond posted:

It falls into the trap of cool but not quite desirable so most are long gone, destroyed by a couple generations of high school students.

Can confirm, many Probes in my HS parking lot...almost 20 years ago. gently caress.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Frond posted:

There was one on the street around the corner from my house back in California and it really was cool

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

opengl128 posted:

...almost 20 years ago. gently caress.

:(:respek::(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

quote:

opengl128 posted:
...almost more than 20 years ago. gently caress
:(:respek::(

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Gettin' older's better than the alternative, my friends :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
[/quote]

Finished highschool in 98 bros :respek:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

scuz posted:

Gettin' older's better than the alternative, my friends :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

Some days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Been looking for a reasonably priced Samurai for a while. This popped up today. It's IFS but I might have to go check it it. I'm a bit terrified by the lack of aftermarket support though...
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/clean-title/6629962996.html