Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
serbule hills used to have lots of eggs before the revamp, might still be if most newbies still end up in serbule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hy_C posted:

I have been leveling up my favor with Joeh. One of his hangouts is decorate for a leather party, upon completing the hangout he got a new one to participate in a leather party. 8 hours later I received the following:

When MMOs imitate real life. :allears:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
So like, how's the netcode cross-continent? Is there even a European server? I played a bit of the pre-alpha, got lost in it but liked what I did play. Didn't have anyone to group with though, which prob would have helped figure it out. Is this playable from the UK now without huge lag? If I get this I might as well join up with rest of you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
No euro server but there are euro players. So who knows.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The game is as real time as WoW is (not very). It lacks WoW's high precision raids and PvP that require tight timings. I remember back in the 56k days having a ping of 200-300 was good in Counter Strike. Fiber ping from US to EU should be in the 100-200 range, so I imagine it's pretty decent assuming they don't have a lovely route.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

pixaal I forgot to tell you

We managed to get two guild quests done from animal town so next time you are in serbule, go check the guild board near echur / the shrine and see if you got guild credits. Then go buy money pouches.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
FWIW you get credit for guild quests if you are logged in at any point during the quest.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I just noticed the sword

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 4, 2018

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Far more likely Unity artist was inspired by this

than anything else

Shame it's not a katana to complete immersion.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
So I bought this game possibly against my better judgement. I'm in as RoastBeefy the furman. Where the gently caress is Azazk (?) the mantis so I can get learning mentalism? Is Psychology in Serbule at all? I missed it in Anagoge. oops. Feel free to throw me a guild invite if anyone who can is online.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Psychology is in two areas, but check the wiki for that honestly.

http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/Psychology

quote:

Riger will not directly teach you Psychology, but after you complete his quest, he will allow you to read a Psychology book.
For players that do not want to go back to the island to learn Psychology, Yetta sells a book titled Fighting with Psychology.
Helena Veilmoor teaches You Were Adopted 1-3 and But I Love You 1-2
Nissim in Amulna will unlock Psychology 51-60, 61-70, and teaches level 51+ abilities.
Yetta is in Eltibule but you can go back to the starter island via the spider cave. There is a lever in a small hidden east room near the start / fake door.

And Echur in serbule teaches you mentalisim.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Just popping in to say if you are a pre-WoW era MMO grognard this game is loving crack.

A pig player traded me a skinning knife.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
One of the first favours I got was to poison myself for an NPC solely because they were bored. I respect that. Serbule town runs like poo poo but it's good to see it so populated for such a small game. This game is cool, and this is coming from someone who never before played a pre-wow mmo (aside from a bit of the alpha of this).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I spent way too much time learning where a bland silver sword with no modifiers on it was so I could use it to kill were wolves.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

So I left noob island and inmediately got my rear end kicked by anything in Serbule except for rats and chickens. Can’t survive any quests and probably need to grind a bit first, but even random pigs and tigers in the overworld kill me.

Is there a better place to go after the island besides Serbule or do I just need to level up more?

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Serbule Hills, south of Serbule if you follow the road out of the town.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Killing pigs is actually good if they don't constantly kill you. You can also level butchering and cooking by making bacon for Joeh favor.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

extra row of teeth posted:

So I left noob island and inmediately got my rear end kicked by anything in Serbule except for rats and chickens. Can’t survive any quests and probably need to grind a bit first, but even random pigs and tigers in the overworld kill me.

Is there a better place to go after the island besides Serbule or do I just need to level up more?

Tigers can definitely be a handful at the start. Part of this depends on what you're doing combat skill wise, part of this is yes, you need to grind.

Quests are a mixed bag, but in general are not going to be off-the-boat newbie friendly. If something seems like it's too much right now, it probably is. Good goals for early levels are getting out of the early levels via grinding, and also building rep with important NPCs (while quests help with this, gifts are your bread and butter here).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So I've been still wanting to write a guide for new players for steam but meh.

If you get off of the newbie island, you are either in serbule or serbule hills.

If your combat skills are around 10 or below, go to serbule hills and back to the spider cave to the east. It can be seen from the road.

Or go to the lake north east of serbule and look for a lake that touches town. At the bottom of it is a portal to serbule sewers.

Or you could stay in serbule hills but stay in the north central or far west and just kill beasts.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Thanks for the tips, everyone. North Serbule Hills was perfect, especially since I’m still loving around with new combos.

Also I’m an archer and man they really DO want to bring back that old school feel. Haven’t played a game where you need to run your rear end over to where the mob died and pick up your own arrows since the DOS rpgs of the 90s. :allears:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just wait until you have to learn fletching to make more arrows.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

Just wait until you have to learn fletching to make more arrows.

Yup. :suicide: Gonna get started on that and gardening/cooking as well today, because this is clearly one of those games where you'd better loving craft or else.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 8, 2018

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Yup. :suicide: Gonna get started on that and gardening/cooking as well today, because this is clearly one of those games where you'd better loving craft or else.

Be careful, some of the crafting skills (in particular the armor crafting ones) are ridiculously expensive and time consuming.

Cooking is pretty nice to have and can be raised alongside gardening and/or fishing. Cooking is also the only general-use crafting skill (ignoring edge cases like Archery for a moment) that I'd consider close to vital. Armor and weapons can drop easily enough, but level-appropriate food does not.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You can make profit with cooking using only a vendor. This is useful early on when money is tight. Vendors do have a weekly cap to hope much money they will give you so don't go to crazy. But of if the weekly total is going to reset in a few hours for you and hit are light light as well.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

pixaal posted:

You can make profit with cooking using only a vendor. This is useful early on when money is tight. Vendors do have a weekly cap to hope much money they will give you so don't go to crazy. But of if the weekly total is going to reset in a few hours for you and hit are light light as well.

The vendor restock is based upon when the player first sold an item to them. It might be a few days before that for him.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Cooking is really nice but drat if it isn't painful to level past 30 or something. It's a huge slog, and you gotta do gardening too.

Remember to play drums or something at your potatoes.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cooking is also something you do to take more advantage of you loot. Because vendor caps exists. But is also useful!.
With good food you can do thing that would be really hard withouth it.

Cavet: I have not played the game in 2 million years

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Made an alt to be a deer since some Deer Juice dropped. I'm spamming the John Galt speech to level beast speech while kicking wolves to death and using a psychology skill called "tell me about your mother". This is the best loving game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Don't even worry about alts, both potions come from deer and you need those for shaman infusion and cooking. Bonus skins.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

Don't even worry about alts, both potions come from deer and you need those for shaman infusion and cooking. Bonus skins.

I want 1 archer and 1 critter-woman, and figured the two were incompatible due to archer's crafting demands. This game looks like being an altoholic would be EXTREMELY time-consuming so that's probably it for now.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Made an alt to be a deer since some Deer Juice dropped. I'm spamming the John Galt speech to level beast speech while kicking wolves to death and using a psychology skill called "tell me about your mother". This is the best loving game

Deer is pretty cool end-game compatible if you decide to eventually go Druid. Switch in and out at will, and get horse-shoes (deer-shoes?) that passively increase run speed by a lot.

Werewolves are a beefier package if you want to beast, but also have more hoops to jump through and actual monthly maintenance for their runspeed buff. I'm mainly Werewolf/Priest right now, but I sometimes regret it.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I found the endgame.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

I found the endgame.

What were they thinking with that particular sound loop lmao. All loving day in the town square. And the volume is a billion decibels higher than anything else in the game.

DOOT DOOT DOOT DO-DO-DO DOOT DO DOOT DOOT

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Anyone in a decent guild? I think it's fair to say that this game is far too niche for a Goon guild to ever be worth it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Disbanding animal farm

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Anyone in a decent guild? I think it's fair to say that this game is far too niche for a Goon guild to ever be worth it.

I like goon guilds with 5-10 people trying to make it in a niche game. It makes a close group that works together and showers newbies in everything they need to succeed and get to the point they can start helping the more long term players.

A few hand picked pubbies might not be a bad idea if numbers are stay thin.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I'm getting to a bit above 15/15 in fire and psych and still feeling kind of weak in the damage output front. I should probably level alchemy for the Power boosts at least, but new good weapons seem to be at a rarity, at least for my level. Do I just have to craft that poo poo up then?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

I'm getting to a bit above 15/15 in fire and psych and still feeling kind of weak in the damage output front. I should probably level alchemy for the Power boosts at least, but new good weapons seem to be at a rarity, at least for my level. Do I just have to craft that poo poo up then?

My aspiring Druid is going Fire/Psych until better options open up too. Fire is actually pretty explodey and I haven't been disappointed with it. There's two cheap ways to get good gear, both random that you'll likely need to come back to repeatedly over a few days.

1) Chests in dungeons often give you various levels of enchanted stuff that's spec-appropriate (this is not guaranteed, but the chance is higher than average). There is, off hand, one easily accessible in the Serbule Sewers and two nearly next to each other in the Serbule Crypt you can loot every... hour, I think?

2) People throw the damnest poo poo away in the vendors. Always check out the Serbule vendors' used items listings, you will occasionally find a good deal.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Conskill posted:

1) Chests in dungeons often give you various levels of enchanted stuff that's spec-appropriate (this is not guaranteed, but the chance is higher than average). There is, off hand, one easily accessible in the Serbule Sewers and two nearly next to each other in the Serbule Crypt you can loot every... hour, I think?

Yup, every hour, and it's pretty decently farmed most of the time so you can just follow someone in and get free loot. Mark all the chests on your map with markers so they are easy to find on future runs. After a few rotations you should be able to solo the dungeon yourself and no longer have to wait around. 15/15 fire/psych should be able to get to most of the chests (I think there's a few past bosses which are hard to solo). If you can't solo it, it's gear follow some one in, or be social and ask for a clear, but when I was struggling with gear I was the same build (around 10/10) and just farmed stuff there and pushed in when others did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So as someone looking to get back into the game after not having played since the Kickstarter, could someone give me a quick rundown on any major changes since then?