Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

slouch posted:

Here's my trip report: if you weren't there an hour and a half early you couldn't get in at all. so says the fire marshall. really strong crowd out there today. Impressive for Flower Mound

I went to a fort Worth run with Beto event Sunday morning. His answers were charismatic but boilerplate politician, but the turnout was impressive. He got ~300 people out at 8 am on a Sunday in Fort Worth for a run in 90 degree weather which is shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in San Antonio, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in West Texas, and you can repeat that in Fort Worth and Amarillo and Waco

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://mobile.twitter.com/statesman/status/1011209905758449664

:unsmith:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Of course, a few posts down it gets :catstare:

quote:

Words are spells cast upon the human mind, that's why it's called spelling.

I disagree. Texas is not for everyone. Who's the bigot? Everyone who disagrees or the billboard? Calling someone a bigot is circular reasoning.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1011222136936124416

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
My hopes are going to get up and then Texas is gonna do Texas things and elect Cruz and break my heart again.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
im 17% no opinion

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

im 17% no opinion

The cynical part of me reads that as 17% too embarrassed to admit I'm Republican but will vote for Cruz anyways.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Thanks for fighting on my behalf everyone. I realize I have very hardened opinions about MJ. I live in her district. I volunteered for her primary opponent. Mj was bankrolled pretty hard and had a lot of larger party apparatus support.

I supported the candidate I liked and she lost. I don't like MJ because she is like a dem focus group candidate. I'm going to vote for her, but I'm not going to help her win. Because I do not like her opposition to universal health care, the mailers which showed her always in uniform, and her statements of being "pro small business." gently caress all of that. She is not the voice I want representing me. I'm going to vote because I always vote. Will 19 year olds? Will other leftists?

I basically consider everyone who participated in the US military's imperial wars in the Middle East to be war criminals. I think do not think it is laudable. I understand this is a minority position.

Regarding electability. Republicans will never vote for you. If 2016 didn't prove that to you then I got nothing for you. Republicans win by running ideologues who appeal to the base and drive up turnout. Being a centrist does not drive anyone to vote.

The incumbent, John Carter, is a real Trump Republican rear end in a top hat. He doesn't do town halls. He does teleconferences. At the last one I attended, the first pre screened question was "what are you doing to help get Hillary locked up." You're not carrying those voters ever. If you're pro abortion, you're not carrying those voters. (I believe MJ is silent on abortion.)

I am not excited over another blue dog veteran. The internet sure seems to be. Do you think she'll show up at tomorrow's anti-ICE rally? The district has a 500 person female ice jail.

For me, she is a bad candidate and a product of the Democratic party that can't help but lose elections with milquetoast candidates. It doesn't inspire me. I know I'm in the minority.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dameius posted:

The cynical part of me reads that as 17% too embarrassed to admit I'm Republican but will vote for Cruz anyways.

this is exactly what it is

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Seriously if you live in a red district please go volunteer for a local candidate. It'll help them tons. be local vote local

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's how you know the admin's immigration policy is going too far

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1011688423751651335

TOO EVIL FOR WILCO

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

zoux posted:

TOO EVIL FOR WILCO

I had to double check to make sure this was the same Williamson county I know. Kudos for the broken clock being right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also:
https://twitter.com/BillyCalzada/status/1011696667349876736

He's going to jail. The special election to fill his seat is July 31, and there are 8 candidates. His brother, Tomas, filed for the seat as well, but since he lost his House seat based on being related to Carlos, he'll have a bit of an uphill battle.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Going to Beto in Flower Mound. Trip report to come.

It was at capacity. Lots of people stood outside and watched the live stream. Many people liked my wife's "Humans Against Ted Cruz" shirt. Beto came outside afterwards and took pictures with people out there first. He seems boilerplate for Democrats, but would be a major improvement over Ted Cruz.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I went to a protest at Ted Cruz's San Antonio office today. There were around 40 people who showed up, and multiple groups went in and talked to his staff. I felt it was pretty positive but I can't help to think about whether these people will go volunteer or help out in another way and not just powwow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uresti got 12 years

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Texas Tribune did a nice article on how "transportation planning" in Texas really just means "bigger highways." Though honestly this is true in most of the US besides a few select cities.

quote:

And while millennials may be pushing away old ideas about what transportation infrastructure — and the development patterns it creates — should look like, the Council of Governments’ proposed $135 billion plan for North Texas’ future looks decidedly old school:

About 58 percent of the $89.4 billion earmarked for capital projects is for new pavement — everything from highways and tolled lanes to city streets.

About 15 percent of the $38.2 billion for major highway construction is budgeted for building freeways and corridor extensions that don’t yet exist, including $2.8 billion for a new regional loop north of Denton and McKinney.

Less than 3 percent of the $42.9 billion in traditional federal and state transportation money in the plan goes toward projects built for pedestrians and bicyclists; less than 1 percent goes toward public transit.

And while there’s $33.3 billion earmarked for public transit construction and improvements, nearly two-thirds of that money is from revenue streams that do not exist yet.

And while highway construction projects got more money than rail expansions, sidewalks and bike lanes combined, regional officials say they still face a $327 billion shortfall in what they need for the region’s roads.

How did they get to that number?

“We assume that we’re going to remove all of the congestion,” Feldt said.

It’s an assumption that everyone involved knows will never become reality. That’s because it would entail something that transportation and urban planning experts say is counterproductive: building even wider highway corridors, which typically prompt more drivers to use them, which only perpetuates congestion in what becomes a never-ending cycle known as induced demand.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/26/millennials-new-urbanism-texas-highway-compulsion-dallas-fort-worth/

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Alright Texas we need to get our poo poo together

https://mobile.twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1011795836232036352

Oklahoma may have pot before we do. Well legal pot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would expect that the Legislature will pass and Abbott will sign a full abortion ban in the state next session. I don't think a bunch of Austin women cosplaying Handmaid's Tale in the gallery is gonna do it this time.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

What if Ted Cruz is the nominee for SCOTUS? I want Ted Cruz out of Texas but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He won't be. He wants to be president.

I'm trying to keep perspective because I was inconsolable in November 2016 but the worst predictions didn't come true so I'm trying to remain sanguine about all this. At least we're going to see if accelerationism works!

https://twitter.com/kherman/status/1012053844430348288

Hate to agree with a CNN pundit but I think he's largely correct here. Every state with a solid red statehouse is going to be rushing to be the Vs. in Woman with Standing Vs. State of XXXX

This is more US pol but nuts to that thread so, friends, I think that the "open SCOTUS seat will galvanize the GOP and save the Senate for them" doesn't make any sense, as Dave Weigel (the wise) points out
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1012050337606270976

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 27, 2018

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

zoux posted:

He won't be. He wants to be president.

I'm trying to keep perspective because I was inconsolable in November 2016 but the worst predictions didn't come true so I'm trying to remain sanguine about all this.

That was a lifetime ago, but weren't the worst predictions way more innocuous than poo poo like "child concentration camps"?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Friend posted:

That was a lifetime ago, but weren't the worst predictions way more innocuous than poo poo like "child concentration camps"?

People were saying all lgbt people would be in camps by month 3. So it hasn’t been that bad/fast.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Friend posted:

The ACA still exists, we're not in a nuclear war. People predicted bad poo poo towards immigrants, which baby jails certainly qualify for, but people went loving berzerk over that and Trump had to reverse himself, which he never does.

I'm not saying this isn't all bad, and it isn't a big deal and people aren't suffering under Trump, because they are, but mere anarchy isn't loosed on the world. The falcon can still hear the falconer.

Look, the nuclear bomb with respect to SCOTUS right now is RvW, and yeah, it's more in danger than it was yesterday, but only one seated justice (Thomas) has straight up said he'd overturn it. Roberts went left on the ACA and that's a lot less consequential and ingrained in US culture and case law than Roe vs Wade. So I don't think abortion will ultimately become illegal, though it may become restricted and there will be a lovely period between passage of the law and the SCOTUS ruling on it, depending on lower court stays and what not.

This is my hopeful prediction, trying to learn my lesson after my unwarranted month-long depression and despair after the last GE

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

zoux posted:

The ACA still exists, we're not in a nuclear war. People predicted bad poo poo towards immigrants, which baby jails certainly qualify for, but people went loving berzerk over that and Trump had to reverse himself, which he never always does.

The idea that Donnie doesn't fold like a loving washcloth is a myth of his own making, albeit a surprisingly persistent one. He'll rant over and over that he's going to hold firm, but then he'll see something shiny, or someone will give him a slice of cake and he'll completely forget what he was saying and backtrack.

In fact, usually the louder he insists that he won't back down is a clear indication that he's going to soon.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

The ACA still exists, we're not in a nuclear war. People predicted bad poo poo towards immigrants, which baby jails certainly qualify for, but people went loving berzerk over that and Trump had to reverse himself, which he never does.

I'm not saying this isn't all bad, and it isn't a big deal and people aren't suffering under Trump, because they are, but mere anarchy isn't loosed on the world. The falcon can still hear the falconer.

Look, the nuclear bomb with respect to SCOTUS right now is RvW, and yeah, it's more in danger than it was yesterday, but only one seated justice (Thomas) has straight up said he'd overturn it. Roberts went left on the ACA and that's a lot less consequential and ingrained in US culture and case law than Roe vs Wade. So I don't think abortion will ultimately become illegal, though it may become restricted and there will be a lovely period between passage of the law and the SCOTUS ruling on it, depending on lower court stays and what not.

This is my hopeful prediction, trying to learn my lesson after my unwarranted month-long depression and despair after the last GE

Well they did just rule that it's a violation of freedom of speech to force the christian pregnancy centers to not lie about abortions or having the ability to provide medical care.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it ain’t good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

between the crisis pregnancy decision and janus, which both had the majority opinion basically saying that laws are unconsitutional because making someone follow a law violates the first amendment, the roberts court has declared a new lochner era and have signaled there will be no future restraint (of, eg, bothering to find precedent or an argument that passes the laugh test for future decisions). roberts only saved a threadbare version of obamacare so the democrats wouldnt turn against the institution of the court like in the new deal era. if he was still worried about that, he wouldnt have signed on to this term's heinous decisions.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 28, 2018

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Someone stole my Beto yard sign :cry:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 28, 2018

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1012330644037296128

See, it's not all bad

AUgh I spoke too soon
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1012159141337591808

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 28, 2018

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Mrs. D. Chudley, of Facebook posted:

Baytown police me that is ok for mexicans redoing a home across the street from me to drink and play loud music. I can't even relax in my own home because of them. The cop told me this is america!! Is this the new america?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That cop's alright.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

100% of chuds immigration stance is because a Hispanic person was in front of them in line at a grocery store with too many things in their cart or they saw someone speaking spanish in public and to them, that justifies any indignity put upon an immigrant.

https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/1012723627891060737

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 29, 2018

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Anyone going to the Families Belong Together rally in Austin tomorrow? I'm going to be the guy in the undershirt and bad complexion hoping I don't die of heat exhaustion.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'll be there tomorrow, hopefully coming out of it with a brief sense of consolation about the course of this city that'll last for a couple of days tops.

Thermal Anomaly
Jul 1, 2017

by Cyrano4747

1stGear posted:

Anyone going to the Families Belong Together rally in Austin tomorrow? I'm going to be the guy in the undershirt and bad complexion hoping I don't die of heat exhaustion.

I'll be running about an hour late but there's no way I'm missing the rally tomorrow. I'll be wearing black and red with the DSA folks

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I assume that I'm actually better off taking the train/bus to get there than actually trying to find parking.

Thermal Anomaly posted:

I'll be running about an hour late but there's no way I'm missing the rally tomorrow. I'll be wearing black and red with the DSA folks

I'll keep an eye out for y'all - attending a DSA meeting's been on my to-do list a while since the local democratic party activities never did hook me. drat shame I won't be able to make it to the legal workshop on Monday.

Look for... hell if I know. Some random internet idiot in a beard with a gray hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

this, but aggie students

1stGear posted:

you know, you could narrow it down a little :v: