Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Viper915 posted:

Having only recently picked up a switch, I'm trying to figure out what to do about new games. For my PS4, I just wait until they eventually get cheap, like picking up horizon a few weeks ago for $10. Switch titles don't usually go on sale like that though, right? So getting the 20% preorder discount on Amazon is likely the best I'll get for a long time? I like what I see from the demo but usually I wait for reviews to pick stuff up.

Yeah switch games never go on sale so $12 off is about the best you can expect. Zelda recently had the biggest price cut I’ve ever seen on the eshop and even then it was still $45 a year after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Viper915 posted:

Having only recently picked up a switch, I'm trying to figure out what to do about new games. For my PS4, I just wait until they eventually get cheap, like picking up horizon a few weeks ago for $10. Switch titles don't usually go on sale like that though, right? So getting the 20% preorder discount on Amazon is likely the best I'll get for a long time? I like what I see from the demo but usually I wait for reviews to pick stuff up.

Nintendo titles don't go on sale. 3rd party games do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Yeah Alfyn and Tressa are the best characters, going by their prologues. Alfyn's dialogue around his prologue boss fight is what 100% sold me on him as my first character

Primrose. :colbert:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Actually, breath of the wild and splatoon 2 were on sale over e3. Splatoon 2 even had a pretty good discount, knocking it down to 40 dollars

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

It's not that it doesn't make sense, it's just a pain to trigger whenever the story doesn't force a transformation on you. It does make sense and is completely consistent, though.

I honestly rarely use it when I play his story at this point, unless I'm running mechs or the opportunity presents itself. :shrug:

OTOH, running a bunch of decked-out Mechs + Red is easily viable and lets you murder the sweet bejesus out of everything. Especially if you geared your mechs to hell and back via the gold bar money route and the Junk shop to get things like hyperion bazookas and other top-tier gear.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwN7ujSb2s

Nintendo of Italy released a new Octopath trailer, and you can see some new locations and stuff in it. Such as an opera house.

In related news, every purchase of Octopath comes with a bottle of Centrum because you're gonna need it if you're loving old enough to get all the references.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Bean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwN7ujSb2s

Nintendo of Italy released a new Octopath trailer, and you can see some new locations and stuff in it. Such as an opera house.

In related news, every purchase of Octopath comes with a bottle of Centrum because you're gonna need it if you're loving old enough to get all the references.
Hot drat, that opera house :swoon: The Primrose scene with the carriage looks gorgeous, too. I'm vibrating worse than chibi Tressa for this game to come out.

15 more days..!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Hot drat, that opera house :swoon: The Primrose scene with the carriage looks gorgeous, too. I'm vibrating worse than chibi Tressa for this game to come out.

15 more days..!

Ugh, so close, yet so far...

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Hey, anyone still playing the demo, if you equip a different weapon, does the game use a different sprite in battle, or is it always sword looks like sword, ax looks like ax?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bean posted:

Hey, anyone still playing the demo, if you equip a different weapon, does the game use a different sprite in battle, or is it always sword looks like sword, ax looks like ax?

You have different sprites for each of your weapons. Tressa-wielding-a-bow looks different from Tressa-wielding-a-spear.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

You have different sprites for each of your weapons. Tressa-wielding-a-bow looks different from Tressa-wielding-a-spear.

He's asking about spear vs. spear, like does every spear have the same sprite

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How do you think the stories will connect with each other?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Since it appears that the character you start the game with will be locked into your party, I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about the usefulness of the different characters' abilities. While a lot of them have perks (always being able to steal, or mix potions) I think I’m ultimately going to choose Olbrect. I like the idea of his journey to find out why his friend killed his king being the thread that the other seven wrap around, and having the ability to boost a block is a kind of neutral, always handy skill to negate a big attack. I know he’s the boring choice, especially since he was available in the first demo, and while I think Cyrus and Tressa’s stories look fun, but I’m hitching my cart to Big O.

I wish some of these trailers would show more intraparty interactions. I know they want to put their Path skill and battle system in the spotlight, but it’s a growing concern that the game will be 8 unrelated people fighting together towards 8 unrelated goals without talking to one another. Personally, I think Chapter 1 is just the gathering of the party, the prologues that show what everyone was doing before they found your main character and decided to work together. Chapter 2 will start with the assumption that you have a full party of 8 and that they all know each other’s motivation, which would lead to more time talking amongst each other. I’m optimistic, anyway.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm pretty sure the only person locked to the party is whoever's story you're currently doing. Could be wrong, but that's what it looked like from the videos.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

I'm pretty sure the only person locked to the party is whoever's story you're currently doing. Could be wrong, but that's what it looked like from the videos.

That would be ideal and makes sense.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, my only concern for this game is the overall plot. If you're only forced to take your main character through the story, how much actual interacting can there be that isn't just generic line given to whatever character for plot beat. The game can't assume anything, so...?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It feels generally for RPGs, six is the magic number as far as having unique lines for each party member without branching into generic responses, though there are plenty of exceptions either way.

But I guess it really depends here on how far dialogue has come in the past twenty-ish years since games like Chrono Trigger had characters with unique lines pop up. I don't really expect characters in the same party to have unique conversations with each other within certain quest lines, but I'm at least hoping for each character to have unique lines for each quest, even if they're rather generic lines customized for that character's personality, with maybe some sort of party chat or specific points to trigger character-specific cutscenes. I feel like with the team the Octopath devs have and the large scope of their project, it's reasonable to expect each character to have their own voice in the events of the game without everything being generic.

I don't expect the world, of course, but I think it's more reasonable to expect some individuality of the character responses without going all-out in stupid poo poo like Chrono Cross's accent generator.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Chapter 2 will start with the assumption that you have a full party of 8 and that they all know each other’s motivation, which would lead to more time talking amongst each other. I’m optimistic, anyway.

This is unlikely, because recruiting other characters is optional and so the game had to be designed with that in mind. If recruiting all 8 was mandatory it'd mean a lot more interaction through the game, though, since the developers would always know who would be present.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I stopped playing the demo 2 hours in with PrimRose, Olberic and Tressa prologues done. I want to just jump in from that point in the main game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Whelp, after hearing one of the datamined tracks, I am fully convinced that this game is going to utterly own in the music department.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Folt The Bolt posted:

Whelp, after hearing one of the datamined tracks, I am fully convinced that this game is going to utterly own in the music department.

That was clear from the demo

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

That was clear from the demo

Well, it was just made even more clearer to me. Dang, this soundtrack is godly!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Square is cross promoting Octopath with their mobile game

No, not that mobile game like Record Keeper with actual sprites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nqoeusgmaI

The 3D game with 3D models

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tae posted:

I'm shocked that they didn't do a crossover with FFBE considering that game already had a Bravely Default collab (in Japan, no idea if global will get it).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They could have plot moments at some point that split the party and force you to take some people.

And I'll bet they force you to get at least 4 characters at some point to progress further.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

As I understand it the person you start with plus whoever you are doing the quest for (if you are). Unless you are flashing back to the other PCs prologue.

It seems pretty reasonable to expect that non generic party interactions and custom lines will show up here, given that “8 travelers with their own story” is the primary hook of this game. It’s very possible to have case by case reactive dialog, Western party based RPGs do it all the time.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Trails in the Sky has up to 16 playable characters, and manages to have extensive unique dialog and character interaction based on who is any your party for any given story beat.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Folt The Bolt posted:

You state this like it wasn't going to.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Trails in the Sky has up to 16 playable characters, and manages to have extensive unique dialog and character interaction based on who is any your party for any given story beat.

It's also the videogame series with the biggest script overall.
Every single entry is only behind poo poo like some VNs (all text and no gameplay) and I think like Rance X and BG2/Plancescape..

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Been playing as Alf and just ran into the thief guy.

Game looks loving incredible and is super fun. Probably will be the first JRPG I'll play through since FFIX. Played most of Bravely/Default but got busy at work and never came back to it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

There's a review (or is it a preview?) of Octopath Traveler out in Japanese: https://www.4gamer.net/games/368/G036845/20180619012/

I don't think there's any important spoilers in the article as it's pretty barebones, but there's a screenshot that shows a scene between Ophilia and Cyrus so character interactions between the main cast are now without a doubt a thing in the game.

Someone on reddit also machine translated the review to see what it said. I do like the part about the sprites deliberately being limited in expression so that the players use their own imagination as to what the characters' expressions are, thus making them feel more involved in the story. And depending on your party makeup, certain events can be triggered so it definitely seems that who you have with you does matter in the long run.

Given how the limited expressions on the sprites allow for a degree of imagination, combined with eight stories that you can do however you want + interactions depending on who you're using and so on, this seems very very awesome! What each player choose to experience for themselves seem to be very important to this game's makeup.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 2, 2018

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I’ve flipped on my belief of this only because when you choose a character the game’s text says “You are [character’s name] and you are a [profession]” whereas when you find a character to join your party the game switches from first-person to third-person pronouns. So “you” are the first character you choose and everyone else is a “he”or “she”. Maybe you can switch yourself out of your party, but I’m more skeptical.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tae posted:

OK now I want to play Octopath in 3d

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

There's a review (or is it a preview?) of Octopath Traveler out in Japanese: https://www.4gamer.net/games/368/G036845/20180619012/

I don't think there's any important spoilers in the article as it's pretty barebones, but there's a screenshot that shows a scene between Ophilia and Cyrus so character interactions between the main cast are now without a doubt a thing in the game.

Someone on reddit also machine translated the review to see what it said. I do like the part about the sprites deliberately being limited in expression so that the players use their own imagination as to what the characters' expressions are, thus making them feel more involved in the story. And depending on your party makeup, certain events can be triggered so it definitely seems that who you have with you does matter in the long run.

Given how the limited expressions on the sprites allow for a degree of imagination, combined with eight stories that you can do however you want + interactions depending on who you're using and so on, this seems very very awesome! What each player choose to experience for themselves seem to be very important to this game's makeup.

I'm so glad there's confirmation of party interactions since I was pretty let down when there was only like one line of dialogue when recruiting characters. Started with Therion and got Alfyn so it was a little funny that these two guys with completely opposite personalities and motivations decided to travel together just because?? But I kinda rationalised it in my head as Therion collecting useful people for his Oceans 11 crew and Alf being a nice trusting country boy who's completely oblivious to the fact that Therion's been cleaning out the pockets of everyone they meet.

Also, I was curious so I did the math (or well, counted it bc I'm bad at math) and you'd have to write 28 unique first meeting scenes for every character pairing. So I can see it being a conservation of time/resources thing for the devs, but also it ties into the whole 'your story experience is unique' thing and lets the player fill in the gaps. Like I just did!

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
H'aanit can sic her hellbeast on defenseless villagers without any comment from Ophelia. Maybe we're just not supposed to think too much about this aspect of the game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If the villagers didn't want to be attacked, they'd remove the option from their context menus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

Huh, and here I'd been wondering why there wasn't a mobile RPG that basically took Valkyrie Profile's combat system, since it'd work reasonably well with touch controls. :v:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I think Square has 300 different f2p phone games.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Real stoked for this game that is coming out in less than two weeks, woooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Hi joining this thread after posting about Octopath in the Switch thread.

I'm really excited for this game. I enjoyed the demo way more than I expected I would. IN FACT, I'm quite disappointed that the demo has only one save slot. I picked Ha'anit (her Olde English really sux tho but w/e) and picked up Therion and Alfyn. I wanted to start over and try a new set of characters but realized I'd have to wipe my other game. Kind of a bummer. Dunno if I should just start over or not. Hmm.

Is there word yet on whether or not the full game will always involve all 8 characters? Or will it be designed for multiple playthroughs, where you select different starting characters and end up engaging with a different set of guys?

By the way I just want to add that the music in this game is so good and makes me feel like I'm 12 years old playing Final Fantasy all over again.