Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
We’re still at the point where they gleefully run down pedestrians. We’re ages away from a driverless utopia and it’s not going to be any faster now that the machines are realizing how fun vehicular homicide can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If pedestrians really cared about their safety then they would be in cars. :colbert:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Seriously, how many more pedestrians are gleefully run over by manned cars every day?

Several, if I have anything to do about it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought the biggest problem for driverless cars is dealing with non-driverless cars.

not just non-driverless cars, literally everything. wind, inclement conditions, the sun being in your eyes/camera, the presence of trucks, accidents, road debris. There's a million things that are and can be happening while you drive, and a human brain, the most complex information-processing and decision-making organ in existence, deals with it all quite well, in most cases.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing will ever be 100% safe, but it could be made waaaaay more safe than letting a bunch of idiots propel themselves forward in one ton metal boxes.

People say this, but that's because they don't really consider the issue of miles driven vs accidents. Humans are great drivers. Every day literally hundreds of millions of people in America strap themselves in to giant metal boxes and go careening down the road next to hundred of other metal boxes at 60 miles an hour, past schools and churches and homes, and somehow, they don't all die. The vast, vast majority of people make it to their destinations. That's loving amazing. Meanwhile, my cellphone keeps giving me "update needed" notices but when I click on the notice it says there's no updates available. There's no reason to assume that driverless-cars will be safer on average than human operated cars until somebody makes a driverless car that is that safe. And I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon because of how complex an action driving in the real world is.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Plus, think of all the savings that will be passed on to you, the consumer, if we get rid of all the added expense of having to hire long haul truckers to move freight everywhere.

lol

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Aramek posted:

Seriously, how many more pedestrians are gleefully run over by manned cars every day?

Several, if I have anything to do about it.

When I take my car out of my garage, I cannot return it until it has devoured blood.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If militaries want them bad enough there will be driverless cars within the next two decades.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Solice Kirsk posted:

If militaries want them bad enough there will be driverless cars within the next two decades.

I don't see why they'd bother. We're already pretty close to having driverless military planes, all they need to do is code an algorithm to detect weddings or hospitals and they can get rid of the "pilots" altogether.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

They will be as safe, cheap, and reliable as the F-35

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'll take a million!

Put it on America's tab.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think you’re being unfair to Tesla here, and I don’t say that lightly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think you’re being unfair to Tesla here, and I don’t say that lightly.

Say what you will about the F-35, at least it doesn't spontaneously burst into flame

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

We're still at the point where they gleefully run down pedestrians. We're ages away from a driverless utopia and it's not going to be any faster now that the machines are realizing how fun vehicular homicide can be

Guy Goodbody posted:

People say this, but that's because they don't really consider the issue of miles driven vs accidents. Humans are great drivers. Every day literally hundreds of millions of people in America strap themselves in to giant metal boxes and go careening down the road next to hundred of other metal boxes at 60 miles an hour, past schools and churches and homes, and somehow, they don't all die. The vast, vast majority of people make it to their destinations. That's loving amazing. Meanwhile, my cellphone keeps giving me "update needed" notices but when I click on the notice it says there's no updates available. There's no reason to assume that driverless-cars will be safer on average than human operated cars until somebody makes a driverless car that is that safe. And I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon because of how complex an action driving in the real world is.

There's still a lot of merit in trying to perfect a car that both drives itself and doesnt drive over people. Yes, humans are able to do all of this just fine, but there's always things out of someone's grasp, like serious medical issues, heavy rain limiting how far you can see in front of the car, or old/drunk people thinking they can still drive. It's better to research cars that don't have issues with these kind of things, and while it will take time and a half to get it ready for widespread use, it will be worth it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Electric cars explode.

Like cell phones and cheap power sticks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

spit on my clit posted:

There's still a lot of merit in trying to perfect a car that both drives itself and doesnt drive over people. Yes, humans are able to do all of this just fine, but there's always things out of someone's grasp, like serious medical issues, heavy rain limiting how far you can see in front of the car, or old/drunk people thinking they can still drive. It's better to research cars that don't have issues with these kind of things, and while it will take time and a half to get it ready for widespread use, it will be worth it.

Honestly that’s probably effort better spent on public transportation with the goal of minimizing the number of cars on the road.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Muskrat420 on the tesla forums sent me this sick custom firmware that's supposed to improve the battery life, I can't wait to try it out on my evening commute!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

yeah I eat rear end posted:

But there will always be human fallibility in the equation. We will never create a perfect artificial intelligence. There will always be unforeseen ways for whatever we come up with to fail (or be made to fail).

They don't have to be perfect or even particularly good to be better than human drivers.

Agree with public transport being much more feasible though, and that can be helped along by incentivizing people to move into tight urban centers where they don't need a car for anything, and can't even afford one anyway due to parking costs, traffic tolls, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone inevitably sells out, one way or another.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Say what you will about the F-35, at least it doesn't spontaneously burst into flame

True, but Teslas can drive in the rain. Until they burst into flames, obviously.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

they're working on it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There should be a tax on vacant homes

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Is there not?!

Like someone owns it and pays property tax because even if uninhabited, you own land, and with that comes dues.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aramek posted:

Is there not?!

Like someone owns it and pays property tax because even if uninhabited, you own land, and with that comes dues.

Yeah it's subject to the same taxes as any other home, but I mean an extra tax on homes that sit vacant more than x% of the year.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Not sure if this is unpopular but the sequel to “Now you see me” should have been “now you don’t”

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Not sure if this is unpopular but the sequel to “Now you see me” should have been “now you don’t”

It should have been called "never should have been made". I hate those movies to an extreme degree. Especially because they made woody harrelson look like a bad actor.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

:yeah:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

My fiance works for a company that maintains homes foreclosed on by banks, and I can assure you that the people who own it are massive, massive, pieces of poo poo

and ironically the CEO is a Christian who is always sending out emails saying she's praying for the company

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Rich people are better than poor people. But rich people need to pay way the gently caress more taxes. That's what being better means, having more responsibility. If this is not reinforced they forget themselves and start thinking they are in charge.

They are not in charge.

The State is in charge.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aramek posted:

Rich people are better than poor people. But rich people need to pay way the gently caress more taxes. That's what being better means, having more responsibility. If this is not reinforced they forget themselves and start thinking they are in charge.

They are not in charge.

The State is in charge.

The State is exclusively comprised of rich people though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aramek posted:

They are not in charge.

The State is in charge.

The rich people are responsible for empowering the poor to contribute to society like they are. They are not there to be leeched from and give everyone else an easy life.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aramek posted:

Rich people are better than poor people.

:thermidor:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The rich people are responsible for empowering the poor to contribute to society like they are. They are not there to be leeched from and give everyone else an easy life.

laying it on a little thick

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hawowanlawow posted:

laying it on a little thick

He's hoping a rich person notices his good good bootlicking and throws him a shiny new penny

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

purple death ray posted:

He's hoping a rich person notices his good good bootlicking and throws him a shiny new penny

that post was not bootlicking, I was acknowledging they aren't doing something that is their responsibility currently.

but yeah i'll take the penny if they throw it my way.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The rich are literally parasites. Jeff Bezos has literally tens of billions of dollars, while people in Amazon shipping centers live in their cars. Bezos takes the value generated by his workers and keeps the bulk of it for himself

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Guy Goodbody posted:

The rich are literally parasites. Jeff Bezos has literally tens of billions of dollars, while people in Amazon shipping centers live in their cars. Bezos takes the value generated by his workers and keeps the bulk of it for himself

I'm going to predict the response to this, here goes:

"well if they can afford cars they can't be in such a bad place!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

So string him up. I'd have no problem with seeing people like him purged as long as they are replaced by people that aren't consumed by greed and give a fair share to both their stockholders and their employees.

e: while still conducting the company in a way that generates maximum profit

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

or we could just make sure everyone can make a living, instead of playing shitbag whack-a-mole

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

or we could just make sure everyone can make a living, instead of playing shitbag whack-a-mole

this is the kind of thing that sounds great and anyone would agree with it, until you put it on paper and realize what it would mean re: taxes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There should be a maximum wage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this is the kind of thing that sounds great and anyone would agree with it, until you put it on paper and realize what it would mean re: taxes.

lol, you fuckin rube