Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I've tried letting a cast iron pan get ripping hot on my electric stove and never have much better result than his picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
wife made me khao soi gai from scratch for father's day, it turned out fantastic. she used the serious eats recipe.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I hit em in a dry pan on high but I have an electric stove so that’s as good as it’s gonna get unless I start running a lighter under them.

Put it right on the coil, medium low heat. I was terrified the first time that it would stick but it didn't, worked like a charm.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

emotive posted:

I've tried letting a cast iron pan get ripping hot on my electric stove and never have much better result than his picture.

There's something going on because I have no trouble getting color on my tortillas on a weak/slow electric stove no matter what pan I'm using though it's usually a cast iron.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
To get back at you all for calling out my undertoasted tortillas enjoy looking at more carnitas

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Baby back ribs with Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce, vinegar slaw, and steak fries. The picture sucks because I had already started eating.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

To get back at you all for calling out my undertoasted tortillas enjoy looking at more carnitas

This and the post above are good poo poo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pan-fried Rushing Waters rainbow trout with maple/chili brown butter, wild rice, broccoli sprouts, black vinegar.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Terrible plating and photo but Thai fishcakes, jasmine rice and siracha coleslaw:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I wanted to show a friend how you can plate any random food nicely regardless of how good it tastes. I'd say I failed on two counts - this tasted better than I intended and didn't look as good as I thought it might.

Zucchini, radish, leftover green goddess, balsamic, and homemade chili powder I guess makes a salad

I probably could have reduced the balsamic so its color wouldn't be so washed out on the zucchini and thickened the green goddess some more so it wouldn't have run.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The balsamic looks like you tried to plate after cutting yourself

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Sehkmet posted:

I made char siu bao today from this recipe: http://goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)

They were delicious. Half of them are already gone.

This is from the last page but just wanted to say these look phenomenal

They are easily my favorite side/snack in the whole world. I like them a liiiitle bit on the doughy/chewy side.

Mine typically have the meat mixture kneaded into the dough itself for a few punches because that's how my grandma makes them but I always have a taste for this variety. So good.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 23, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

give me advice for jambalaya. I bought too much hot sausage and now it's jambalaya time

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
No such thing as too much hot sausage, if you need to - have it as an extra side. Maybe some tzatziki on the side for the weak.
And eat until you are as full as gently caress - then start drinking. I love Jambalaya more than life itself.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

give me advice for jambalaya. I bought too much hot sausage and now it's jambalaya time

I like it with brown rice and roasted corn and so spicy it gives me hiccups.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Arglebargle III posted:

Cook it in a big rear end cast iron pot. Don’t skimp on the stock or the seasoning. Try not to overcook it or it will turn to mush.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Emeril jambalaya recipe is a good starter for your first time imo. If you overcook it it's still edible, it just transforms from jambalaya into Louisiana congee.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

I tandoori'd a chicken. Now me and the wife have our own house again (moved in to in laws for a year to save a deposit) I can get to cooking properly again and it was nice just to start with something simple but delicious.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003
Can I post a breakfast instead? Today was my first attempt at omelets.

Ham and bacon omelet, plus English muffins with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Happy tummy.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cuban style picadillo with raisins, capers, and olives.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Tofu Bibimbap - nice and refreshing for an overly hot day. Really pleased with how all the flavours came together and amazed that it went into the bowls without looking like a total mess.

Tofu, carrot, radish, spring onions, mushroom and chard, rice and a large dollop of gochujang.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Olpainless posted:

I tandoori'd a chicken. Now me and the wife have our own house again (moved in to in laws for a year to save a deposit) I can get to cooking properly again and it was nice just to start with something simple but delicious.

You have a Tandoor in a house or did you do this in an oven or? Looks good.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

VelociBacon posted:

You have a Tandoor in a house or did you do this in an oven or? Looks good.

In the oven, but I have plans on getting a proper tandoor.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
My wife made two surprisingly good dishes from the Thug Kitchen cookbook.

Last night we had the Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Toasted Sesame Dressing, where I cooked up some chicken and topped it with that. Turned out great (http://gatheraroundthegoodstuff.blogspot.com/2015/01/vietnamese-rice-noodle-salad-with.html same recipe for those who are curious).

We were also looking for a way to use up our leftover coconut cream/milk because we always have about a cups worth of left overs after making Thai. Thug Kitchen had a Black Bean Tortas with Coconut Chipotle Mayo recipe that looked decent enough (https://www.copymethat.com/r/k6f6tnU/black-bean-tortas-with-coconut-chipotle-/ ) and holy crap was that "mayo" amazing.

I don't have any photos but simply put all of this stuff except the oil in bowl and hit it with a hand mixer while slowly adding the oil until it's the consistency you want:
Coconut Chipotle Mayo:
1 cup canned coconut milk
1⁄3 cup of your favourite chipotle hot sauce
1⁄4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp ground chia seeds
1 tsp lemon juice
1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt

We used sriracha and Blis hot sauce mix. It was amazing as just a chip dip too. Highly recommended. Beans turned out pretty good and overall I was pretty happy with the sandwich and would make again.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

atothesquiz posted:

My wife made two surprisingly good dishes from the Thug Kitchen cookbook.

Last night we had the Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Toasted Sesame Dressing, where I cooked up some chicken and topped it with that. Turned out great (http://gatheraroundthegoodstuff.blogspot.com/2015/01/vietnamese-rice-noodle-salad-with.html same recipe for those who are curious).

We were also looking for a way to use up our leftover coconut cream/milk because we always have about a cups worth of left overs after making Thai. Thug Kitchen had a Black Bean Tortas with Coconut Chipotle Mayo recipe that looked decent enough (https://www.copymethat.com/r/k6f6tnU/black-bean-tortas-with-coconut-chipotle-/ ) and holy crap was that "mayo" amazing.

I don't have any photos but simply put all of this stuff except the oil in bowl and hit it with a hand mixer while slowly adding the oil until it's the consistency you want:
Coconut Chipotle Mayo:
1 cup canned coconut milk
1⁄3 cup of your favourite chipotle hot sauce
1⁄4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp ground chia seeds
1 tsp lemon juice
1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt

We used sriracha and Blis hot sauce mix. It was amazing as just a chip dip too. Highly recommended. Beans turned out pretty good and overall I was pretty happy with the sandwich and would make again.

I have a huge problem with the Thug Kitchen books and the authors behind them and I'm not alone.

That being said, your plating looks lovely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

I have a huge problem with the Thug Kitchen books and the authors behind them and I'm not alone.

That being said, your plating looks lovely.

That's actually hilarious. Imo if you're dumb enough to be effectively influenced by lowbrow marketing that just inserts keyphrases to woo you, you've no right to be upset when it turns out your cool urban cookbook isn't authentically made by cool urban people. How is this different from a white screenwriter doing the lines for a non-white character? A lot of the writers for the chappelle show weren't African-American. People mad about the cookbook are probably just embarrassed about being suckered?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

VelociBacon posted:

That's actually hilarious. Imo if you're dumb enough to be effectively influenced by lowbrow marketing that just inserts keyphrases to woo you, you've no right to be upset when it turns out your cool urban cookbook isn't authentically made by cool urban people. How is this different from a white screenwriter doing the lines for a non-white character? A lot of the writers for the chappelle show weren't African-American. People mad about the cookbook are probably just embarrassed about being suckered?

This is probably getting outside the scope of the dinner thread so I'm not going to get into it more than this but the critical difference would be that those lines (either for a non-white character or Dave Chapelle) are delivered by a non-white actor who would have a significant amount of say in how they were delivered and, if they were truly problematic, whether to say them at all.

The issue with the cookbook is that it's two white people using "thug" with all its connotations of being urban and black (or at least nonwhite) in order to sell something. It's appropriation at best and outright blackface in text format at worst. It's offensive and tasteless, which is why people are mad about it--not that they were "snookered" (btw, I knew they were white when I found out about it for the first time so I never assumed anything about their ethnicity).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

"Ham-fisted" is dead on, Thug Kitchen has always been lame. The fact that it turned out to be a couple of cliche, preening goobers shouldn't have shocked anybody.

I made some vegetable lo mein have a crummy picture.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Steak night

A nice scotch fillet with some red wine pepper gravy and a side salad. Simple and delicious.

Pre gravy

Post gravy

Cross section

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
fresh pan fried halibut with some capers and stuff.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

First try at hong shao rou. Not bad, think I like the chairman's version better with all the aromatics.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Broke out the big boy mortar and pestle to make some green papaya salad and lemongrass and turmeric rubbed chicken thighs.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress yeah green papaya is delicious unlike actual ripe papaya

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Som Tam ftw

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Tomatoes could have been better but any caprese is good caprese.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

emotive posted:

Tomatoes could have been better but any caprese is good caprese.

I disagree. I've had some insanely bad caprese salads served to me over the years.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Watermelon salad with feta, toasted pumpkin seeds, black pepper, and olive oil

And a boil with shrimp taters and corn with nothing but old bay and butter

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Casu Marzu posted:

I disagree. I've had some insanely bad caprese salads served to me over the years.

yeah caprese is one of those dishes that depends entirely on the quality of the ingredients.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Laksa