Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I upgraded my nail to its final form...and then...I.....

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

mabels big day posted:

i actually just got robbed by this banker

she isn't completely gone

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

I upgraded my nail to its final form...and then...I.....

:smith:

:smith::h5::smith:

worst part is finding out you can optionally give him a happier ending

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Oh god really? I had no idea :( Do you just... walk away instead? I feel terrible now.

I have kicked some rear end today other than that deep shame. Beat the White Palace, which I never unlocked in my first playthrough -- definitely hard but not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. The early sawblade part where you have to dash between them took me the longest but I was done in probably an hour. (I used Hiveblood so I wouldn't have to worry about limited attempts.) I opened Path of Pain but haven't done it.

I also beat Soul Tyrant and non-dream Grimm, which were easier than I thought they'd be. Lost Kin is my last dream fight, I'm dreading it a bit. I did Delicate Flower for the first time too. It took me four tries because I kept forgetting that the infected fly corpses explode, but it was easier than I thought it would be. Definitely helps that I saved it for late game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:negative:

I knew I was a horrible monster...

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Delicate Flower is really easy with Grubberfly's Elegy

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Your Computer posted:

I haven't seen this and I'd love to!

The voice acting in this game is fantastic :3:

George Lazenby posted:

Haha man, thanks everyone! Heaps nice to hear you're enjoying the game. I've spent today doing dull business accounting stuff and bug fixes, so reading everyone's kind words is a nice pick-me-up. Gotta smash through this stuff so I can get back to the Hidden Dreams stuff.

We haven't done any write-ups or anything unfortunately. I considered it during development, but we just didn't have any time to dedicate to it. Also, this is our first proper game so I wasn't all that confident we could write anything particularly educational - a lot of the game was kinda put together on the fly and lots of it was based on intuition rather than particularly careful planning.

Haha, the Grub is me! I just did a Pikmin impression. Most of the voices in the game are me, Ari or Makoto (Ari's partner, the voice of Hornet). I had heaps of fun doing all the enemies and monsters and stuff, like the fluke monsters in the waterways and those mummies down in the crypts. Doing the Collector was great fun as well.

Hehe, that was me again! Another extremely fun voice to do.

Hmm, dunno. A lot of the voice work in the game (that we couldn't do ourselves) are just friends and family in our office's tiny kitchenette-thing. My Mum did a few, like the White Lady and Marmu - as a backer, she got to pick the design for Marmu so she sent us a photo of this dude:

My girlfriend did Iselda (the mapper's wife) - it was a sweltering Aussie Summer day, we were recording in a tiny room, and we had to turn the air con off so it wouldn't drown out the recording. We kept recording lines over and over, with me constantly telling her to sound more bored. So that bored/exasperated/irritated tone you get when you speak to Iselda is the real deal!

This guy's posts are a lot of it, just filter to his posts in this thread to find some dev talk stuff.

Basically, Team Cherry is tiny and Hollow Knight is an incredibly ridiculously huge polished game with fabulous art, music, gameplay and design in it's own right, then doubly so when you consider both how cheap it is and how small the dev team was.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
The Milhouse-ian death rattle of the flying guys in the City of Tears is the best thing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

skasion posted:

This game has better gibberish speak than any other game I’ve played since KOTOR

Go on, galaca, san no charry, charry rell, oh nelly, go on, go aaaan, che go aaan

:sun: :sun: :sun:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
"kay TUUU!"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rage-deleted this game just now. Just spent a half hour repeatedly dying and losing all my geo to the Massive Moss Charger in Greenpath, of all things. It only has two moves, and I simply don't have the reaction speed to deal with them. I don't know who decided it needed to have as much HP as it has, especially when it's so loving hard to hit the thing without getting creamed, but they're a goddamn rear end in a top hat.

Are there a lot of other bosses with timing challenges as tight as that one? Probably for the best if I quit now, I guess. I want to like this game so much. :(

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Velmy artred.
Velmy artred.
*sigh* O pall.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Rage-deleted this game just now. Just spent a half hour repeatedly dying and losing all my geo to the Massive Moss Charger in Greenpath, of all things. It only has two moves, and I simply don't have the reaction speed to deal with them. I don't know who decided it needed to have as much HP as it has, especially when it's so loving hard to hit the thing without getting creamed, but they're a goddamn rear end in a top hat.

Are there a lot of other bosses with timing challenges as tight as that one? Probably for the best if I quit now, I guess. I want to like this game so much. :(

Yeah, that guy is definitely one of the easier bosses. Probably best for you to just watch a Let's Play.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah, that guy is definitely one of the easier bosses. Probably best for you to just watch a Let's Play.

loving downstabs. I didn't think of that. :negative:

That probably makes it a lot easier... I was trying to dash over the thing and dash back to hit it and the timings are really tight if you do it that way. I didn't have too much trouble with the bosses I've faced so far, and I liked learning their patterns, I'm just wary of having old man reflexes. I'll have to give it another shot tomorrow.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

learn to love the pogo, it will make many many situations a lot easier

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you look up the Hollow Knight bit from this past E3's Nintendo Treehouse, you get to hear one of the devs do a live voice reading for Dung Defender

E: Found it, skip to about 9 minutes (how do you make the Quick Reply/Edit window not auto-parse Youtube links :argh:)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lLs9JJw3-s

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 28, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to an earlier post I saw that I'd missed something in Fog Canyon so I went there and did some investing! I opened up the way to the waterways from the city too. I found something down in that new area! a mask piece and a boss. I made the boss fall over twice but he finally got to me. I put on some charms to help out, I hope they help me. Quick focus, baldur shell and maybe the extra soul one. I hope to get him next try! This is fun

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Phenotype posted:

loving downstabs. I didn't think of that. :negative:

That probably makes it a lot easier... I was trying to dash over the thing and dash back to hit it and the timings are really tight if you do it that way. I didn't have too much trouble with the bosses I've faced so far, and I liked learning their patterns, I'm just wary of having old man reflexes. I'll have to give it another shot tomorrow.

Down stabbing is probably one of the most important things to learn in the game for combat. It's both a power defense and attack move since you can do a ton of damage while avoiding a lot of enemy attacks. It also allows you to get behind enemies really easily.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Every time you jump over an enemy you should downslash. No matter what enemy they are, or if you're even in range. Downslash downslash downslash. Worst case they just block it and you get extra height on your jump. Successfully downslashing also resets your dash/doublejump, it's so good.
It also lets you bounce off any non-organic obstacles like spikes and saws. Using downslashes the first charm you can reach is fury of the fallen, and you can fight the brooding mawlek as your first boss.

Also my first time through I didn't find the giant moss bush until the very very endgame after I was fully maxed out and the fight lasted 5 seconds. He got halfway through one attack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if I just play these games slow or what, but I've cracked over 30 hours and I still feel like I have a ton of stuff to do. I still haven't done at least one major area, and a few sub areas and have a bunch of bosses and items left. I don't know how people are averaging 20 hours with this game. I haven't really even gotten stuck except maybe 1 combined hour on a couple bosses.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

My advice is that if you are getting frustrated by a boss, then don't fight it. Go do something else, and come back when you've got more upgrades and more experience. Also, try not to worry about losing geo. Unless you lose a huge amount, it's really a minor setback.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know if I just play these games slow or what, but I've cracked over 30 hours and I still feel like I have a ton of stuff to do. I still haven't done at least one major area, and a few sub areas and have a bunch of bosses and items left. I don't know how people are averaging 20 hours with this game. I haven't really even gotten stuck except maybe 1 combined hour on a couple bosses.

I've heard from plenty of people who were slower. My first 100% completion, back before any updates, was 30 hours. I've read several stories of 40 hours or even more.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm at 48 hours and 97%, I'm not great at games like these so I'm mostly progressing by perseverance and spite by now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hear the Switch port is more or less perfect and apparently Lifeblood adds some QoL improvements to the game itself. Is the former at least true? I know I should just continue on my current file on PC which is like 13 hours in but...its the Switch, and I am giving the devs more money so...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm honestly hitting a point where traversal is really really frustrating me. I've probably uncovered 85% of the map, have all of the traversal abilities, and I'm mostly cleaning up items and secrets here and there to face bosses that I still need to fight/satisfy my completionist tendencies. And getting around is such a goddamn chore. I absolutely do not understand why benches aren't warp points. The amount of backtracking is unreasonable and currently the one huge glaring thing I don't like about this game. I must have ran through some areas 10+ times now. I 'll find something I want to do, and just groan when I realize I have to run through the entirety of deepnest again or something similar. And it's not even like these areas are particularly challenging once I've been through them a couple of times. It's just wasting my time.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Don't do things that aren't fun just to make a number go up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm doing things I find fun :confused: getting there is the part that isn't fun. Should I skip a boss fight I want to do because I don't feel like running to the closest bench to him for 10 minutes straight because there is like less than 1 fast travel point per gigantic area?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 28, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
maybe it's just me but I could run around in Hollow Knight forever. The movement in this game just feels so drat good with all the mobility skills :swoon:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your Computer posted:

maybe it's just me but I could run around in Hollow Knight forever. The movement in this game just feels so drat good with all the mobility skills :swoon:

Agreed, endgame level mobility has you basically flying through the map and I love it.

edit: also literally flying if you're traversing a straight horizontal path

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Yeah, I love moving through this game too. All the Metroid-y things you can do keeps it really involved.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm doing things I find fun :confused: getting there is the part that isn't fun. Should I skip a boss fight I want to do because I don't feel like running to the closest bench to him for 10 minutes straight because there is like less than 1 fast travel point per gigantic area?
Ah, I see what you mean. Thought you were hunting collectibles for the sake of it.

For this you can use the Dream Gate. You get it from the Seer lady in the graveyard area, I think you need like a thousand dream thingies. Once you have it, you can make a gate and teleport to it from anywhere, even if you die.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Your Computer posted:

The movement does feel great. There's still a ceiling for how many times I want to run through an area.

I'm just finding a lot of "hey I got x, now I can do Y!" then looking at the map and being like "gently caress I have to go through two straight areas to get there" A lot of the connection in the world is just not good considering how limited fast travel is. There's all these shortcuts that save you 2 seconds but then you still have to slog the same entire area out over and over, or sometimes useful short cuts open up after you don't even need them anymore. Ans what is the point of the tram pass? Oh cool now I can travel between two fast travel points...

I don't think that making getting around a little less inconvenient would be anything but a huge positive for the game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Unlucky7 posted:

I hear the Switch port is more or less perfect and apparently Lifeblood adds some QoL improvements to the game itself. Is the former at least true? I know I should just continue on my current file on PC which is like 13 hours in but...its the Switch, and I am giving the devs more money so...

I was playing on pc (just got the first nail upgrade) and bought the switch version. I'm so glad I did. it looks like it was made for the switch. The switch d-pad is also perfect too. I don't see any slowdowns or performance issues. It's great, get it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

The movement does feel great. There's still a ceiling for how many times I want to run through an area.

I'm just finding a lot of "hey I got x, now I can do Y!" then looking at the map and being like "gently caress I have to go through two straight areas to get there" A lot of the connection in the world is just not good considering how limited fast travel is. There's all these shortcuts that save you 2 seconds but then you still have to slog the same entire area out over and over, or sometimes useful short cuts open up after you don't even need them anymore. Ans what is the point of the tram pass? Oh cool now I can travel between two fast travel points...

I don't think that making getting around a little less inconvenient would be anything but a huge positive for the game.

The thing is, for people like me, figuring out the optimal route for going through a complicated world is one of, if not the best part of Metroidvanias. Adding over-powerful warping would straight-up make the game way less fun for me. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, but it's definitely a specific choice by Team Cherry and not, like, a mistake that should be fixed. The one spot I'd say was maybe too much of a pain in the rear end was the Basin, but they patched in a station down there.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Most people love the game (and they are objectively correct), but I have heard complaints about traversal from more than one person, and I don't know if they just have a low tolerance for it or if we take fundamentally different approaches to the game. It's hard to tell because I can't usually see them play.

Yes, there is only one stag station per area (a few don't have them at all, but they're tiny and they're connected to places that do). But just because you want to go, say, somewhere in Greenpath doesn't mean that the station in Greenpath is the fastest way to get there. Sometimes you want to go to a stag station that's in another zone but is close to the place you're trying to get to. Sometimes there are multiple routes and one route is better than the others. Sometimes there's a shortcut you can open from the other side, or that you need a specific ability to use. Sometimes (rarely) the tram is the most efficient path.

I don't want to invalidate other people's experiences but if it's taking you more than a couple minutes to get somewhere you are probably missing something, or you are extremely inefficient at traversal. It just does not take very long to get anywhere in the game.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm real glad for the ancient basin station considering how out of the way it otherwise is and how you have to visit the place for like 5 separate things that all have different requirements. When you combine it with the tram it's also a nice way to reach the hive and the right side of deepnest.
If you do have all the relevant movement abilities and the stations unlocked it shouldn't be that long to go from anywhere to anywhere, with the exception of things you might miss in the middle of deepnest. Aside from Nosk and Sharpshadow (which are pretty close to the tram station) I think you can reach everything with just the dash and walljump though so you're not forced to backtrack.

Being able to warp between benches would be a real bummer, and would make the initial arrivals in deepnest and the city of tears a lot less interesting. Replacing the stag stations like that would also remove the neat bonus of the 'secret' station that you get once you unlock all the others.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I do think they could use another Stag Station somewhere in Crystal Peak.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

are you sure that you've got all the stag stations because i can only think of a couple of spots in the game where there's an inconvenient amount of walking from the closest station

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

are you sure that you've got all the stag stations because i can only think of a couple of spots in the game where there's an inconvenient amount of walking from the closest station

I'm not 100% sure but I've been pretty thorough. Might just check a wiki to make it less of a pain. Deepnest bugs me the most by far. The stag station is for a boss, and is utterly useless for one of the biggest, densest areas in the game meaning I have to drop down through a giant maze full of those incredibly annoying burrowing enemies every time I want to get something done there. But I'm kind of feeling that way all over the place right now. Just everything feels like it takes longer to get to than it should.

I even get the appeal of finding the fastest route or just blasting through areas, but I feel like the benches are spaced out way better for fast travel than the stag stations. It's not like they are all over the place but they would make getting around way less of a slog imo.

Basically I think it's conceptually fine that you can't fast travel all over the place. But the issue is that it's so sparse. for me at least I'm inclined inclined to stop what I'm doing and go for something else if it makes more sense to me like "ooh I got this now I can grab that thing I want" but the way the world is built makes that really annoying to do.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, one of the areas i was thinking of without a convenient stag station is deepnest, but i feel the justification for that is "it's deepnest"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Phenotype posted:

This isn't even a boss homie, just move on and come back and rage kill it when you're feeling powerful later.