Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I've accepted the fact that for the most part, Kennedy was never really a split judge. Yes, he split in a few significant cases, but the court will be just as split as it is now when the next shithead gets nominated.

The NEXT one, however, is when we're really hosed.

Except now you get someone who won't split in those cases, and locks that down for the next 30+ years. It's missing the point the just like the narrative that Scalia's replacement needed to be more moderate because he was replacing a conservative judge. There is not a default structure to the Court and now instead of even hoping to move in a progressive direction these pompous fucks are going to undermine poor people and minorities for decades to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Except now you get someone who won't split in those cases, and locks that down for the next 30+ years. It's missing the point the just like the narrative that Scalia's replacement needed to be more moderate because he was replacing a conservative judge. There is not a default structure to the Court and now instead of even hoping to move in a progressive direction these pompous fucks are going to undermine poor people and minorities for decades to come.

As I less-eloquently said in another thread, y'all should be prepared to be a beard at any time because a whole lot of people are going to be shoved back in the closet.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naramyth posted:

The Minneapolis metro is suburban hell that goes in all directions and has lovely public transport..

So like most metro areas

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/DGreenbaum/status/1012085360459952130

Chasing after the mythical moderate Republican who will cross party lines sure worked well in 2016, let's run it back

Viva Miriya posted:

Yo, I want Ocasio 2020 before I want loving bloomberg lmao.

Bingo. I've voted for more Democrats than Republicans by a long shot, and I consider myself a moderate conservative. In this thread I'm drat near a teapartier.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Naramyth posted:

The Minneapolis metro is suburban hell that goes in all directions and has lovely public transport..

The city itself seems alright and is investing a lot in transit. It’s definitely way less dense than Milwaukee though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

shame on an IGA posted:

If anyone needs a break from the endless tide of poo poo news, that BANKER.bmp photoshop thread in GBS is the best thing since Loss.

Oh my god, I needed this today. Thank you.

EDIT: also discovered this was a thing
:dudsmile:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 28, 2018

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

e^: What, you don't like wearing a sweater to bed?

I tried pointing that out and people got mad at me for not being as angry as possible about it, so ymmv.

Kennedy is 81. Trump's picks will outlive half of us because they will be like 40 and not have substance abuse problems.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

DoktorLoken posted:

The city itself seems alright and is investing a lot in transit. It’s definitely way less dense than Milwaukee though.
The Twin Cities are vastly better than a lot of comparable metro areas, though that says more about the state of many of America's urban centers than the Twin Cities. We've had an outpouring of Millennials and early Gen-Xers in the last decade fighting against a half-century of NIMBYism (which frequently stems from poorly-veiled racial and classist animus). We're getting massive, well-financed pushback from the area's older house owners, but have been making halting progress over the status quo.

We yammer about it over in the Minneapolis thread every so often.

ded posted:

gently caress apartments and condos.
So what's your solution—further expand single-family subexurban sprawl? People have to live somewhere.

Anyways. How long before Trump nominates Kanye to the Supreme Court?

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 28, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FAUXTON posted:

As I less-eloquently said in another thread, y'all should be prepared to be a beard at any time because a whole lot of people are going to be shoved back in the closet.

While booting fascist pieces of poo poo from your establishments will be illegal. I'm glad for you optimistic types but I don't think this poo poo is going to ever get fixed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Sgt. Chowdown had a hard time explaining his AAFES hot dog issues to the VA:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

More wonderful poo poo to wake up to. I hope McConnel gets up for a midnight snack some time and agonizingly chokes to death with no one to help him.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hey now, those luxury apartments and condos wouldn't be affordable! Now excuse me while roll I around on the lawn of the multi-million dollar house I bought for $17k 50 years ago, screaming BUILD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ANYWHERE NEAR ANYTHING ELSE.

PS: I'm totally, 100%, undeniably for affordable housing, just so long as it's built nowhere near me (or anywhere with easy access to grocery stores and economic opportunity) and my tax dollars don't pay for them.
Apartments and condos are fine, not bulldozing every acre of land between the Puget Sound and the Cascades to build more loving houses.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KirbyKhan posted:

Rent Control in Los Angeles (called Rent Stabilization Ordinance) is an example of rent control that helps nobody. Only properties built before 1978 are under this ordinance. 118,000 properties with about 300,000 to 600,000 residents are under it. All of them are old (by virtue of having rented the property in 1978).

It sucks. It's mere existance makes subsidized housing a tough pill to swallow when every opponent points to RSO as either a failure or the fine status quo.

Thats the closest someone has come to incentivising the destruction of 70's trash. There isn't another way to do that without going building by building and declaring what is/isn't a POS thats now under rent control to make it nearly worthless compared to the location its built on. That would take effort and likely be defeated in court though, so youre stuck with just blanket controls on old buildings.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1012175261809307648
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1012175292180205568

Nothing about ICE is selfless

Edit: Also, what the gently caress is up with this?
https://twitter.com/Elizabeth_McLau/status/1012173521114542080

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Casimir Radon posted:

More wonderful poo poo to wake up to. I hope McConnel gets up for a midnight snack some time and agonizingly chokes to death with no one to help him.

On a pickle, hotdog, anything vaguely phallic will suffice.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

Nothing about ICE is selfless

The funny thing about all this is that the "OH SO YOU WANNA ABOLISH ICE HUH THEN WHAT?" question has already been effectively answered and answered well.

Guess who?

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1012027284306395137

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:doink:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

facialimpediment posted:

The funny thing about all this is that the "OH SO YOU WANNA ABOLISH ICE HUH THEN WHAT?" question has already been effectively answered and answered well.

Guess who?

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1012027284306395137

I like this lady a lot.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Two scoops is staying in my neighborhood tonight, thank god work is walking distance for me. While I was taking pictures one of the two visible Trump supporters I saw was talking about getting his felony drug conviction pardoned. :lol:

:chaostrump:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 28, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I want to loving shout mean things at him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

I want to loving shout mean things at him.

All we've seen that accomplish so far is doxxings and people getting fired.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

what in the gently caress is the solution if not apartments?

The problem here in Charlotte is that we have dropped billions on light rail corridors, but all of the high-density housing going up along them is "luxury" because there's not enough room to build surface parking which means parking decks. Developers can't get financing if they don't include at least one space per bedroom.

The other option for high-density housing is in the exurbs where there's little-to-no public transit at all.

Oh, you wanted an affordable apartment with access to transit? lol you get some run down poo poo built in the seventies or eighties, assuming it hasn't been bought out and knocked down for "redevelopment"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

All we've seen that accomplish so far is doxxings and people getting fired.

Cant fire me if I dont work.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Michigan is nice and will less hosed with by climate change than most parts of the country :kiddo:

Counterpoint: we have to live in Michigan.

Currently a dual resident of Ann Arbor and the festering land of MAGA chuds known as Jackson.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Reuters: Manafort had $10 million loan from Russian oligarch: court filing.
http://internal.www.reuters.com/art...me=politicsNews

Lol.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Reuters: Manafort had $10 million loan from Russian oligarch: court filing.
[url]http://internal.https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...me=politicsNews[/url]

Lol.

holy loving :rip:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Manafort is turbo-hosed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Manafort will get pardoned.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sergg posted:

Counterpoint: we have to live in Michigan.

Currently a dual resident of Ann Arbor and the festering land of MAGA chuds known as Jackson.

That is a drat good counterpoint...

(Tepid) Counter-counter point: Klavon’s :shobon:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Manafort will get pardoned.

Can't pardon the state charges....

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So Two Scoops rhetoric is pretty obviously leaning towards "and we need to start arresting my opponents for national security reasons." Bets on whether he's coherent enough to make it a "joke" the first few times or if he's sundowning and just starts yelling it to whip his MAGA chud base into a frenzy?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I am eagerly awaiting the 2020 debates.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm gonna guess it's going to be everyone else trying to out-decorum each other to show that 'this volatile rhetoric is not what we are' and Trump just shits all over them and gets 5x more speaking time and 50x more media coverage of his points in the debate to the expense of everyone elses.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

This is part of the reason I wanted Biden to run in 2016, he'd eventually drop the decorum act and just straight up clown on Trump. I mean remember the Ryan debate? That but better.

In news,
Trump and Putin will hold a summit July 16 in Finland
https://wapo.st/2yMDmpG

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 28, 2018

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I, too, want to see Duckworth completely roll over Trump.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

In news,
Trump and Putin will hold a summit July 16 in Finland
https://wapo.st/2yMDmpG

FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH CHINA

NOW RUSSIA IS MY BEST FRIEND

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH CHINA

NOW RUSSIA IS MY BEST FRIEND

"Now"?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm supporting Duckworth because I want to do see a female POC war veteran throw a prosthetic leg at her opponent during a debate

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm supporting Duckworth because I want to do see a female POC war veteran throw a prosthetic leg at her opponent during a debate

If she runs (lol) I'm voting for her. I have my doubts about her doing it, though. Also I think she should beat him with a leg during the debate. Crowd goes wild. Albert Einstein cries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'd campaign for Duckworth.

• Locked thread