Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Someone tried to get a proposal read at Summer Games Done Quick. It didn't get read and ventured into BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
That was BWM right from the very start and only got worse.

How does watching a bunch of speedrunners make you realize the importance of seizing the day?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
It’s making me realize it right this moment.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I get the feeling that everyone seems to want apartment skyscraper hellscapes in every HCOL area just so we can cram more people in there who don’t want to be too far from work?

I dunno, when I think of beautiful cities that I’d want to live in (edit), I think of Paris (which, I thought limited building heights) and not Hong Kong or NYC with manmade canyons that get no sunlight.

I’m happy pissing on rich people’s parades, but building up, up, UP doesn’t appeal to me. I’d much prefer living in the suburbs and fixing the lovely transportation options to the city.

E:added words

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 28, 2018

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

San Francisco built to the density of Paris would hold 3x as many people.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Edit: Nevermind.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 28, 2018

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
If Paris isn't building up then explain La Defense

Also San Francisco will never build up up up even if the NIMBYism dies since the city is built on top of rubble

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I was approved for multi-leg options and I'm getting frisky, also--I'm a complete retard.

I'll take the probation for self-posting, anyone have recommendations for not putting myself in the poorhouse until the heat death of the universe?

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Cacafuego posted:

I get the feeling that everyone seems to want apartment skyscraper hellscapes in every HCOL area just so we can cram more people in there who don’t want to be too far from work?

I dunno, when I think of beautiful cities that I’d want to live in (edit), I think of Paris (which, I thought limited building heights) and not Hong Kong or NYC with manmade canyons that get no sunlight.

I’m happy pissing on rich people’s parades, but building up, up, UP doesn’t appeal to me. I’d much prefer living in the suburbs and fixing the lovely transportation options to the city.

Population density:
Paris: 55,673 people per square mile.
NYC: 27,000 people per square mile.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

the heat goes wrong posted:

Population density:
Paris: 55,673 people per square mile.
NYC: 27,000 people per square mile.

Manhattan: 66,940 people per square mile

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Droo posted:

Manhattan: 66,940 people per square mile

Central locations inside Paris also have higher density. What's your point??

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

That you were either disingenuous or stupid to use NYC when the context was clearly referring to Manhattan. I thought that was obviously my point, so maybe the latter?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Basically Paris has a ton of apartments, they just don't look like what people think of apartments as looking like because they were built before Hitler took his joyride down Champs-Élysées.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Manhattan is way closer population wise to Paris than New York City as a whole.

Most US urban cores are not too different from European cities. Where it breaks down is that a typical US city quickly turns from skyscrapers to single family homes as you move away from the center, while European cities tend to have a lot more apartment blocks throughout. And suburban areas especially tend to sprawl instead of clustering around cores that can effectively support transit.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Density makes public transportation work really well. Population density of Tokyo is something like 15 times higher then the bay area, traffic's better, not 15 times worse.

https://www.numbeo.com/traffic/in/Tokyo
https://www.numbeo.com/traffic/in/San-Francisco

Public transportation works in Tokyo because it has one of the best and most extensive subway systems in the world built after the war reduced the city to ashes not because population density forced everyone to drive less.

That model isn't going to work in San Francisco.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ixian posted:

Public transportation works in Tokyo because it has one of the best and most extensive subway systems in the world built after the war reduced the city to ashes not because population density forced everyone to drive less.

Well, not with that attitude.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Like San Fransisco could ever be reduced to ashes :rolleyes:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ixian posted:

built after the war reduced the city to ashes

Sounds like there's a way.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
As someone who lives in Portland, it blows my mind to hear someone say that SF has a small downtown.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Droo posted:

That you were either disingenuous or stupid to use NYC when the context was clearly referring to Manhattan. I thought that was obviously my point, so maybe the latter?

:shrug: The 7th Arrondissement had a population density of 258,820 per square mile in 1846. That, and few other nearby districts were probably what the original poster meant when he said he loved how Paris looked.
While you could build new housing like that, it is rarely done, since just building up skyscrapers is more profitable.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

meat police posted:

I was approved for multi-leg options and I'm getting frisky, also--I'm a complete retard.

I'll take the probation for self-posting, anyone have recommendations for not putting myself in the poorhouse until the heat death of the universe?

Don't trade options as a retail investor.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SlapActionJackson posted:

Don't trade options as a retail investor.

trade options about as often as you do cocaine

if you do cocaine all the time, trade options all the time
if you're not a fuckin idiot, don't trade options

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ixian posted:

You realize you need population density to get decent transit right? The biggest reason most US cities have poo poo for transit is that we have all these car-oriented policies that push people to drive and make building effective transit harder.

It would be stupid to build Tokyo-level transit across the whole bay area as it stands, the population density in most cities and neighborhoods doesn't warrant it, not to mention other regulations hostile to land use (like lack of mixed-use zoning).

edit: and this is collectively BWM because car dominance is expensive as hell, both for the government and for residents

Cicero fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 28, 2018

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

potatoducks posted:

How does watching a bunch of speedrunners make you realize the importance of seizing the day?

"Oh god, I'm spending my priceless time that I will never get back watching nerds play video games. I need to do something with my life!"

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

trade options about as often as you do cocaine

if you do cocaine all the time, trade options all the time
if you're not a fuckin idiot, don't trade options

Special occasions only, got it!

Great advice.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8uii77/brother_has_no_bank_account/ posted:

Brother has no bank account.
As a disclaimer I too think my brother is a grade A moron... but I dont think the rest of his life should be ruined because of this.

About a year and a half ago, for a few months, my brother was a “money mule”; basically, if you don’t know, he would get large bank transfers from dodgy accounts and pull that money out in cash before the bank flagged it. This resulted in him getting blacklisted at almost every bank in the UK.

It took me and my Dad a couple months to talk him round but eventually he stopped and luckily got accepted for a low level account at a reputable bank.

But today, a year and a half later, he gets a letter through the post by that bank stating that after a recent security check they’re closing his account. Meaning the only bank account he has left is a virtual one on an app called “Movo”.

Is there anything we can do to unblacklist him? Or is this it?

He has a student loan coming in soon, he’s redirected it to his virtual account but we’re not sure if that’ll work. He’s 19 btw.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have never heard of this method of getting blacklisted before.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Boys hosed. And yeah going negative on bank accounts or getting flagged will get you blacklisted. In the US once you get on the chex system the banks use it can be near impossible to get off it depending on how you got there.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Tomfoolery posted:

I have never heard of this method of getting blacklisted before.

Hi I committed extensive bank fraud but this shouldn’t ruin my banking life because I’m only a legal adult :qq:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keroppl posted:

Okay nevermind you have all made up your mind with your extensive real estate experience.

Except he's right. The venn diagram of people who fight for regulations like that/fight to keep them on the books and NIMBYs is a circle.

metallicaeg posted:

Also San Francisco will never build up up up even if the NIMBYism dies since the city is built on top of rubble

That's only the FD. And it's mud, wooden ships, and dead bodies, not rubble which suggest actual rocks being involved.

zelah posted:

As someone who lives in Portland, it blows my mind to hear someone say that SF has a small downtown.

This is a bizarre statement. Have you ever gone to a major city other than SF before?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ixian posted:

The subway system here was started well before the war, and although you're technically right in that a lot of it was built after the war, that's not the reason it's so extensive, and it's called a subway because it's underground, dude. Tunnels don't care whether it's ashes or arcologies up above.

Look elsewhere for "can't do it here" excuses :)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Except he's right. The venn diagram of people who fight for regulations like that/fight to keep them on the books and NIMBYs is a circle.

Now, to be fair it's one circle and a slight shadow behind it with the other circle.

I'm sure there are people who would love high density developments and a lack of parking. But it's a small number.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Oil! posted:

Someone tried to get a proposal read at Summer Games Done Quick. It didn't get read and ventured into BWM.

Haha "I know we've had our ups and downs" and deciding to propose because you're watching video games at work. I hope she dumps him.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Now, to be fair it's one circle and a slight shadow behind it with the other circle.

I'm sure there are people who would love high density developments and a lack of parking. But it's a small number.

True on that specific parking regulation - but I was speaking more generally about regs that the uninformed don't necessarily see as NIMBY-ism, like permeable land requirements, onerous stormwater management or traffic engineering study requirements, and a laundry list of others.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Motronic posted:

This is a bizarre statement. Have you ever gone to a major city other than SF before?

Maybe I’m conflating downtown SF and all of SF. Portland and Virginia Beach are cities but Portland’s downtown is about 1 square mile, VB doesn’t have a downtown. Compared to Portland and Seattle, SF seems massive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zelah posted:

Maybe I’m conflating downtown SF and all of SF.

You must be. Because this is "Downtown SF":

Outside of that and like 2 buildings in Rincon Hill and a few in SoMA the rest of the city is low rise and in no way mistaken for a "down town".

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bought car on finance for 7 years at 15.6% PA

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8uj9ng/bought_car_on_finance_for_7_years_at_156_pa/ posted:

For a 30k loan, 50k after interest, I have one day to get out of it, I’m just here for some tips or options of another way to seek a loan with lower interest rates, I make about 1k a week. This is my first loan and I want to make sure I’m making the right decision.

I was hoping to try pay it off within the first or second year

Any opinions appreciated

They are going to return the car at least.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Weatherman posted:

The subway system here was started well before the war, and although you're technically right in that a lot of it was built after the war, that's not the reason it's so extensive, and it's called a subway because it's underground, dude. Tunnels don't care whether it's ashes or arcologies up above.

Look elsewhere for "can't do it here" excuses :)

Well to be fair it would likely be far easier to construct a subway underneath a city that is completely being rebuilt rather than an active one.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Inept posted:

Bought car on finance for 7 years at 15.6% PA

They are going to return the car at least.

Good on him for taking the advice; but how loving smooth brained do you need to be to wonder "Is paying $50k for a fully loaded mazda 3 that goes for 30k and could be had for 20k with more reasonable options a bad idea?". Uhm yes, paying almost double the cost of something is usually a really bad idea; especially when that thing you're buying is an asset that will lose a huge chunk of its value right away. How can you look at those numbers and not say "nope"???

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Last year I went WWOFing and met a couple who had quit their high powered consulting jobs to do hippie poo poo while traveling the world. Now they need money to meet a scam artist guru who is associated with the book The Secret. Apparently he is also associated with MLMs.

They only need $19,000 guys.

Apparently the travel funds aren't that big of an issue. The event is $15k.

Despite having exclusive jobs, I'm not surprised they are falling for this. They spent a bunch of time with the farm owner about how humans must have evolved under the influence of aliens because the Sumerian tablets say so, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raldikuk posted:

Good on him for taking the advice; but how loving smooth brained do you need to be to wonder "Is paying $50k for a fully loaded mazda 3 that goes for 30k and could be had for 20k with more reasonable options a bad idea?". Uhm yes, paying almost double the cost of something is usually a really bad idea; especially when that thing you're buying is an asset that will lose a huge chunk of its value right away. How can you look at those numbers and not say "nope"???

Based on what time he said it was at one point in the post the OP isn't in the US. So it's yet one more "another country" personalfinance post and in this case they didn't even bother to mention that.

My guess is Australia. I don't know how much that changes things on what that car should cost or what auto loan rates should be.