Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Heh I will say that while the Enterprise was a rickety piece of poo poo that was radioactively contaminated 6 ways to sunday, at least her watertight doors worked and she didn't have cracks that let daylight in in her superstructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cerekk posted:

My Port Royal story is the time they called us up on BTB to inform us they'd be "standing by to receive passing honors" even though a) submarines aren't required to participate in passing honors in the first place, and b) it turned out our CO was senior to theirs.

O-12 syndrome is a real thing.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The Port Royal stole our shafts. When we were in the same yard period I mentioned earlier we were scheduled to get new shafts since ours were hosed. Then she crashed into a reef like an rear end in a top hat and hosed her shafts worse than ours so she got them.

Then we were building 53 for a year thanks to the shafts and MRG being so colossally hosed.

hosed.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Doughy Fresh posted:

MCPON Giordano is under investigation by the Navy IG.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...oxic-workplace/

Seems pretty bad, but kinda what you’d expect if your leaders are taking leadership lessons from their current commander in chief.

He was a CMC in Colorado. Doesn't surprise me.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
He visits my station next week. I'm on leave. Sucks to suck for everyone else

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

maffew buildings posted:

He visits my station next week. I'm on leave. Sucks to suck for everyone else

If he's even around next week. I know a guy who quit his staff and they asked a buddy of mine to fill that billet, they could probably hear the laughter all over Millington. I've never seen such a vapid AHC until I saw one of his, and that's saying something.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Went on a tour of the USS Torsk today, I'll upload the pictures when my phone recharges

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh hey look a new unit named CPAINTEL.

Really? Couldn’t just cut it short to CPAIN.
Why leave it long and not include the second “I”?

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 20, 2018

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Welp. MCPON gone.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

King of Bees posted:

Welp. MCPON gone.

Totally never saw that one coming.

Thanks for representing Cryptologic leadership until the end, MCPON.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I skimmed that article about him a few pages back and was quoting gems to add here but I was gonna end up quoting the whole thing

Regardless, yeah, what a prima donna chode

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Personally I'm shocked that a man who 20 years ago lost a stripe for loving a married subordinate turned out to be all this time later an awful person

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Personally I'm shocked that a man who 20 years ago lost a stripe for loving a married subordinate turned out to be all this time later an awful person

So what you are saying is we all get one "get out of jail" mistake?

cool

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

So what you are saying is we all get one "get out of jail" mistake?

cool

E6 and below? You were late 5 minutes this morning, enjoy 30/30 1/2 and never ever going to OCS.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

E6 and below? You were late 5 minutes this morning, enjoy 30/30 1/2 and never ever going to OCS.

On the other hand, pistol whip your dumbass LPO and end up going to STA-21, according to one of the stories a mustang buddy of mine tells.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

drat tho free degree, full pay, growing a beard, wearing whatever, free school, and BAH sounds so dope

Maybe I don’t fully understand the details but meh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

STA-21 was dope as gently caress. Last I looked at it, though, they only seemed to be selecting people who want to be nukes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I only ever saw one person actually get selected

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

drat tho free degree, full pay, growing a beard, wearing whatever, free school, and BAH sounds so dope

Oh totally. I was comparing it as the opposite of "five minutes late and we kill your OCS package".

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh I’m just envious is all

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wingnut Ninja posted:

On the other hand, pistol whip your dumbass LPO and end up going to STA-21, according to one of the stories a mustang buddy of mine tells.

E6 and below don’t count as people, pretty sure that’s like rule 1 in the SWO handbook

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

E6 and below don’t count as people, pretty sure that’s like rule 1 in the Navy handbook

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Marines are always so baffled when they see Navy e-4 and e-5s sweeping and doing bitch work

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Marines are always so baffled when they see Navy e-4 and e-5s sweeping and doing bitch work

I saw a E-7 sweeping on the DDG-1000.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Maybe I don’t fully understand the details but meh

I did STA 21. You are about 90% integrated with a NROTC unit so uniforms and grooming are still a thing. The rest is true, and great.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
In other news 7th fleet actually managed to pull into Manila, for once. Third times a charm I guess.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

CMD598 posted:

In other news 7th fleet actually managed to pull into Manila, for once. Third times a charm I guess.

:toot:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CMD598 posted:

How many sailors gonna get gunned down by Filipino mobsters?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CMD598 posted:

We went there several times out of Sasebo. It's just the DDGs that try to play Rock em Sock em Robots on the way in.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

CMD598 posted:

One time when we pulled out of Manila we were somehow out of the sealane and hosed up like 5nm of folks fishing nets and other assorted aquaculture. We had a bunch of banka boats chasing us until the Marines got topside. #justblueridgethings

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s about to get Juicy!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CMD598 posted:

Like up onto the beach, I assume?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
For the Jacksonville area, are there any spots in particular to avoid for renting a place? A few of us in my flight program are looking to rent a place down there when we go to the FRS. I'm trying to figure out if it'd be better to be closer to base or downtown. Trying to pocket as much BAH as I can.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Jimmy4400nav posted:

For the Jacksonville area, are there any spots in particular to avoid for renting a place? A few of us in my flight program are looking to rent a place down there when we go to the FRS. I'm trying to figure out if it'd be better to be closer to base or downtown. Trying to pocket as much BAH as I can.

There’s not really much of a downtown in Jax. A lot of the single people live in Avondale/ Riverside- gentrified and hip older area north of base. Lots of good restaurants and bars. Can be some sketchy stuff on the fringes once you get near Murray hill or Springfield. Most people will be coming in from south of the base, so you should have a pretty easy commute.

Most of the traffic coming onto base comes from Fleming Island/Orange Park/Argyle to the south. Those are full of suburbs and can be a nightmare for traffic. I’d avoid that area.

Some people live at the beaches or by Town Center. There would be more apartments available that way. You would go opposite traffic until you cross the Buckman Bridge, then you’d join with the rest of the people slogging in from orange park on 17 going North to base. Longer drive but generally traffic free until you get near base. Likewise for Mandarin or Southside; those are less hip and more suburban but a little closer on the opposite side of the river.

TLDR - don’t live anywhere south of base on the west side of the St. John’s unless you have kids.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Sweet! Good to know, appreciate the advice!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I live in Murray Hill right beside 17/Roosevelt Blvd. AMA.

But seriously it pretty much got answered. Riverside, Avondale, and even a good chunk of Murray Hill (currently going through a regentrification) is legit. If you don't mind the commute north of the beltway can be good too.

Feel free to PM me Jimmy.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hahahahahahah my LDO test chit just got denied. But I was told it wasn't personal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thronde posted:

Hahahahahahah my LDO test chit just got denied. But I was told it wasn't personal.

Who denied it? If it wasn't the CO's signature on that bottom line, I'd go take advantage of his open door policy.

E: I'm not saying jump straight to the skipper necessarily. Your divo, department head, or XO might be able to sort it out, but the bottom line is your skipper is the only one with deny authority for a special request like that, and if some :chiefsay: is holding you up, get someone above them to fix it.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 2, 2018

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
My SEL. Never even made it to OIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Go to your OIC then. Your SEL doesn't have denial authority.