Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've had nothing but good experiences with goons in ss13, elder scrolls online and destiny 2, but all of those games are fairly laid back and co-operatively focused so that probably helps

I had fun with goons in cs. They were surprisingly accepting of poo poo players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

World Famous W posted:

Don't let anyone lie to you that goons are better at games or, hell, even good team players.

I have had nothing but universally great experiences playing with goons, across multiple games. Sorry you apparently find bad goons, I guess?

The Soulsborne goons in particular are pretty great. Always someone around who will help with a boss, or drop a weapon you need, etc.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I've had good experiences and bad ones. I'd say fellow goons are more reliably alright than random strangers, but there's always gonna be jerks no matter where.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Far Cry 3: Give me a friggin' option as to when I start a mission or not! I did not want to go into the Prison mission, I wanted to unlock the freaking tower for the region! And because I walked too far away from the mission, now I have to reclimb that tower and collect everything I had been grabbing -

argh! I don't WANT to do more plot yet! I just want to have my minimap actually WORK for this area!

e: And! I am still steamed that it just randomly undid my progress because I wandered into an arbitrary area. "you will fail the mission if you leave" like okay? Fine? I hadn't even started it! And nope it had to undo all of that collecting progress and :argh:

StrixNebulosa has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jun 27, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Why is Geralt so slow in combat! I'll use my sign to knock a dude down. But by the time Geralt's slow rear end walks three steps to stab him, the guy's getting back up. It makes zero sense that movement speed just drops by like, half when combat starts.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
Use Your Words is a game that is obviously trying really hard to chase the Jackbox Party Pack wave (web interface for players to participate using their phone/tablet/computer as a controller, vaguely retro aesthetic, snarky announcer, rounds with points increasing each time) but makes a bunch of small annoying design decisions that completely ruin it. Chief among them is the existence of House Answers: each game is based around players providing a funny response to a prompt and then voting on which response is the best, but in every round there is an additional answer by the game's writers that is mixed in with the player responses and anyone who picks it gets penalized. It sucks because the entire point of a party game like that is for you and your friends to try and entertain each other on the fly and have some good laughs, when some pre-written response gets all the votes it kills the vibe because people feel bad that their answers were passed over.

Also it has a problem with slowly showing you one answer at a time after each prompt in a way that kills the flow of the game. One particular game involves you watching a short clip of a foreign film and then coming up with subtitles for it, you're shown the clip twice at the beginning and then for every answer it's played in full with the subtitles beneath it, with a full group of six people you're watching the same video clip nearly ten times in succession and it just draaags.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Why is Geralt so slow in combat! I'll use my sign to knock a dude down. But by the time Geralt's slow rear end walks three steps to stab him, the guy's getting back up. It makes zero sense that movement speed just drops by like, half when combat starts.

to give the dodge button a function. dodge forward to finish a dude after knocking him down.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've been getting into Total War: Warhammer, and getting a mission to have one of your agents perform an action, especially an assassination, is always annoying. You're at the mercy of the RNG. Except for a few types of agents with the ability to put three points into a skill that increases success chance and/or a follower or two that increases it (which are only obtained randomly), the chance is less than 50%. And failures put the enemy on alert which decreases the chance for a few turns. In most cases this is for a timed mission or item quest, but if you're the Dwarves, you might get a grudge that is fulfilled by an assassination, which will last forever, and it'll increase in severity and cause penalties. And the dwarves don't have any agents that specialize in assassinations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MrJacobs posted:

to give the dodge button a function. dodge forward to finish a dude after knocking him down.

Yeah but if you don't wait for him to stand up all prim and proper after that, he does his stupid dodge-roll attack which doesn't count as the murder button finisher.

Also, it's really, really dumb that Geralt is the only being in this game that takes fall damage. I shot a lizard-chicken out of the air. It fell like a hundred feet past a cliff and didn't take a single point of damage. In another fight I shot one down into the ocean. Neither of them died. They both just came at me for long, lovely fights because the wyverns in this game are extra weird and buggy. You can be hitting them, then they'll just kind of teleport somewhere else.

Also it's slightly annoying that the second map of the game is just populated with random level 20 enemies. I did everything in the first zone and came out at like, level 5. Everywhere I go are level ?? enemies that instantly destroy me, even now at level 9.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Nuebot posted:

Also it's slightly annoying that the second map of the game is just populated with random level 20 enemies. I did everything in the first zone and came out at like, level 5. Everywhere I go are level ?? enemies that instantly destroy me, even now at level 9.

Yeah the level-gating is weird. You really need to pick quests that are level appropriate and stick to them for quite a while; the game punishes randomly wandering off in the first ten hours or so of the game. There are situations where you can follow the road to a quest, see some guarded treasure not far from the beaten path, but you'll get your poo poo wrecked by enemies much harder than you (unless you get really good at the combat).

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Dragons dogma servers don't work on xbox 360 anymore,what a bloody shame.
You can enter the rift but can't help other players with their pawns items or anything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The last, uh, fifth or so of Assassin's Creed Origins kinda fucks up the pacing of the game. At the beginning of the game, you're given a couple people to kill. Then you're given a few more, because obviously. All of these involve going at your own pace, going around the open world and eventually making your way to the region/quest that deals will assassinating these people. They each have their own goals for the region, their own sort of style of rule (one person controls the region through poison, one through power in the shadows, that sort of thing). Then the game starts throwing names at you, jumping from place to place and using timeskips (small ones, but fading to black and starting in another location nonetheless). Then you're told to kill some people, you kill a person, another person gets away, there's actually another person leading them that was never mentioned before, someone with no background or existence before this point, you kill him, then you jump to another character for a weird, bad reverse denouement where you kill the other guy who got away who isn't a leader or anything, just a loose end, murder a ruler out of nowhere and then it just sorta...ends.

It was really weird and disjointed, given the flow of the rest of the game. The structure was so strange and rushed, and the very final assassination just came out of nowhere and playing as Aya for it felt so weird. Really didn't like it as a whole.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

The last, uh, fifth or so of Assassin's Creed Origins kinda fucks up the pacing of the game. At the beginning of the game, you're given a couple people to kill. Then you're given a few more, because obviously. All of these involve going at your own pace, going around the open world and eventually making your way to the region/quest that deals will assassinating these people. They each have their own goals for the region, their own sort of style of rule (one person controls the region through poison, one through power in the shadows, that sort of thing). Then the game starts throwing names at you, jumping from place to place and using timeskips (small ones, but fading to black and starting in another location nonetheless). Then you're told to kill some people, you kill a person, another person gets away, there's actually another person leading them that was never mentioned before, someone with no background or existence before this point, you kill him, then you jump to another character for a weird, bad reverse denouement where you kill the other guy who got away who isn't a leader or anything, just a loose end, murder a ruler out of nowhere and then it just sorta...ends.

It was really weird and disjointed, given the flow of the rest of the game. The structure was so strange and rushed, and the very final assassination just came out of nowhere and playing as Aya for it felt so weird. Really didn't like it as a whole.

The level system also makes the pacing really odd, especially at the end as a well. You are hot on the heels of the man who murdered your son and he's killing everyone on his way, time to go do sidequests for a few hours so you are actually at a level where the quests are possible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nothing is true, everything is permitted (at level 50 with at least 800 gearscore).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nuebot posted:

This happened to me a bit too so I just stuck to the quests that were close to my level and hauled rear end when I ran into serious trouble.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Forced combat in The Last of Us is generally fine and pretty fun once you get used to it but the area where you have to constantly run from the sniper who's invulnerable is unspeakably bad and I don't know how anyone ever thought "oh this would be a fun section"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hel posted:

The level system also makes the pacing really odd, especially at the end as a well. You are hot on the heels of the man who murdered your son and he's killing everyone on his way, time to go do sidequests for a few hours so you are actually at a level where the quests are possible.

I was already at or near max level by this point - I took the opportunity to run around the map and clear everything. Which, like you said, absolutely destroyed the pacing of the game even more (though that was more my choice).

"He's at this city"

Yeah but he can wait, there's a pack of locations over here I haven't seen yet.

And again, yeah you kill him and it's like "I did it. It's done. My son's murderer is dead. ANYWAY LETS CHECK IN WITH AYA whatcha doin' Aya, killing some other guy that we don't care about? Cool. What's that, you're much lower level than I am and have lovely blue-tier equipment? Cool."

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

EmmyOk posted:

Forced combat in The Last of Us is generally fine and pretty fun once you get used to it but the area where you have to constantly run from the sniper who's invulnerable is unspeakably bad and I don't know how anyone ever thought "oh this would be a fun section"

I think these sections are much more "it's different and easy to do," rather than this is fun.
Games like this struggle with variability of actual gameplay, so they'll make concessions for bad things in the name of uniqueness.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah that sniper section is just a setpiece, run to cover, they shoot at you, run to cover, they shoot at someone in your group, you run to the sides of some houses and the sniper can't get you, you get in their building and take them out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The sniper can hit you in certain houses sometimes at really awkward angles at anything above Hard mode it's heinous because he can hit you moving to cover even if you're sprinting laterally to the closest cover. There's no way to guarantee no hits.

e: Like I've beaten it a few times but it's pretty shithouse regardless

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i love tossing a molotov into the house or a shrapnel bomb and then realizing "oh yeah, the sniper himself does not exist. he spawns only after you get into the room he is in so you can QTE choke him to death"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Any game with sniper sequences where the sniper itself doesn't exist, and is simply a red line coming from an empty room, is pretty dumb. If I can shoot the exact point where the red dot is coming from, something should happen, don't give some bullshit 'hes behind cover's or whatever.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Any game with sniper sequences where the sniper itself doesn't exist, and is simply a red line coming from an empty room, is pretty dumb. If I can shoot the exact point where the red dot is coming from, something should happen, don't give some bullshit 'hes behind cover's or whatever.

Maybe you're supposed to retreat and cake yourself in mud to counter the Predator's heat vision.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe you're supposed to retreat and cake yourself in mud to counter the Predator's heat vision.

I can see you're going to enjoy Shadow of the Tomb Raider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_z7zo3Zyyk&t=192s

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Prey: I was having fun after getting the psychoscope, but now I likely have to start over because when I go back to the first three areas all the loot respawns and the associated quests repeat themselves. I spent seven hours in a bug-free experience only to run into the worst bug possible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hyrule Warriors, stop telling me the recommended element then putting a bunch of enemies on that map that are resistant to it. Especially fire recommended and making the enemy leader Volga. gently caress you. Now I'm sure to make any ancillary characters the opposite element.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Leal posted:

Hyrule Warriors, stop telling me the recommended element then putting a bunch of enemies on that map that are resistant to it. Especially fire recommended and making the enemy leader Volga. gently caress you. Now I'm sure to make any ancillary characters the opposite element.

Enemies aren't resistant to elements. They're each weak to one element. Also, taking the recommended element just gives you a flat damage boost for all of your attacks against everything. Elemental damage (but not elemental effects) can only help you. That's my understanding anyway!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

Hyrule Warriors, stop telling me the recommended element then putting a bunch of enemies on that map that are resistant to it.

Another point in One Piece Pirate Warriors 3's favor as best musou game, they give you a big "Woah woah, are you sure you wanna do this?" prompt if you pick a character that's gonna be hobbled by the map you're going to, cause more than just element stuff, that game includes a ton of the little fanservice quirks of characters in the series for positives and negatives, like it's pretty important to get a heads up for "Hey btw, Sanji cannot/will not hit lady characters, are you SURE you wanna play him on this lady character heavy map?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Enemies aren't resistant to elements. They're each weak to one element. Also, taking the recommended element just gives you a flat damage boost for all of your attacks against everything. Elemental damage (but not elemental effects) can only help you. That's my understanding anyway!

your understanding is correct

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For all my making GBS threads on Mass Effect 2 at least it was compelling enough to finish twice (If you cheat past the planet-scanning). I dropped the original not long after leaving the Citadel/Telos and just skimmed a longplay.

It's a shame they put 25 of those bare-bone open-world sections in the game instead of 5 or 6, and that this game was made in the "Real is Brown" era. Unlike ME2 this game tries to be free-form instead of being broken up into discrete missions, which is commendable like how firefights can occur in the hub, but the existing engine could hardly handle it. In spite of the terrible combat, loot-system, vehicle-sections, user-interface, audio-mixing, PC port, level-design, as well the laughably low production-values for most side-quests there is a germ of an idea that was never capitalized by the sequels.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Not played Nier Automata in forever but went back to it last night only to fight some infuriating boss in the desert. Like some centipede/millipede thing and the segments all fall and then fire lasers everywhere and the segments are all screen-filling and you can't see a drat thing. It was terrible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For all my making GBS threads on Mass Effect 2 at least it was compelling enough to finish twice (If you cheat past the planet-scanning). I dropped the original not long after leaving the Citadel/Telos and just skimmed a longplay.

It's a shame they put 25 of those bare-bone open-world sections in the game instead of 5 or 6, and that this game was made in the "Real is Brown" era. Unlike ME2 this game tries to be free-form instead of being broken up into discrete missions, which is commendable like how firefights can occur in the hub, but the existing engine could hardly handle it. In spite of the terrible combat, loot-system, vehicle-sections, user-interface, audio-mixing, PC port, level-design, as well the laughably low production-values for most side-quests there is a germ of an idea that was never capitalized by the sequels.

I find this fascinating, because I found ME1 to be compelling enough to play through twice - yeah, it was tedious in places, but my god the psychic powers are fun and it was fun to explore in it.

Then I hit ME2 and dropped it a couple missions in because all it wanted to be was sad and edgy and with the world's worst psychic powers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That would be acceptable okay ya

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

StrixNebulosa posted:

I find this fascinating, because I found ME1 to be compelling enough to play through twice - yeah, it was tedious in places, but my god the psychic powers are fun and it was fun to explore in it.

Then I hit ME2 and dropped it a couple missions in because all it wanted to be was sad and edgy and with the world's worst psychic powers.

I think I played through Mass Effect 1 at least 5 times. I loved the story and the real ALIEN feeling the whole game had. Sovereign was a real, credible and ominous threat. There was that aeons old plant thing that lived underground. There were just little snippets of weird poo poo the Geth were up to as well as odd things to find in the Mako.

Then 2 was just a pretty straight shooting game and everything kinda felt neutered somewhat. Just a Space-Cop adventure with your buddies fighting the level 3 boss from Contra on the SNES at the end. AWE is the word I think I'm looking for here. There was now awe in 2 and the thought of playing it through again felt like a chore.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

I can see you're going to enjoy Shadow of the Tomb Raider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_z7zo3Zyyk&t=192s

Jesus Christ they're leaning hard into the "Lara is a loving psychotic slasher movie villain" thing. I like that, though, since they've been gradually setting it up for two games.

Well, except for the end of the first game of the reboot. That wasn't exactly subtle.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I enjoyed how her first kill was upsetting not because she spilt blood, but because she enjoyed it. Lara really found her calling on that island.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Drunken Baker posted:

I think I played through Mass Effect 1 at least 5 times. I loved the story and the real ALIEN feeling the whole game had. Sovereign was a real, credible and ominous threat. There was that aeons old plant thing that lived underground. There were just little snippets of weird poo poo the Geth were up to as well as odd things to find in the Mako.

Then 2 was just a pretty straight shooting game and everything kinda felt neutered somewhat. Just a Space-Cop adventure with your buddies fighting the level 3 boss from Contra on the SNES at the end. AWE is the word I think I'm looking for here. There was now awe in 2 and the thought of playing it through again felt like a chore.

Yeah, 1 definitely set the tone of there being some huge, unexplored galaxy out there with some weird poo poo. Even the planet descriptions were like “well, a giant rail gun or something gouged a hole in this planet but gently caress if we know who did it”. 2 didn’t really have that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Mass Effect 2 just leans way too hard into the "Dark! Gritty!" thing for me- like they had the idea that this was a trilogy so this should be like Empire Strikes Back, but they overshoot. Way too many levels are festooned with rubble and convenient chest-high walls, you're forced into working for this crypto-fascist "human supremacy" faction, whatever character you were involved with in the first game has just sorta moved on, etc.

The first Mass Effect is kind of a mess, but it's a glorious mess- it has a great cheesy space opera feel, I had fun wandering around the Citadel and even steering the Mako in search of alien artifacts. 2 is in some ways more focused, but not to my liking- the RPG stuff gets diminished in favor of the shooting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Layers of Fear:

I got this game for free, which is great because I wouldn't pay for it.

It is just a linear sequence of rooms with the occasional puzzle. The alien geometries are supposed to unsettle you, but we never get to know the house as a normal place so it felt like going through the motions. A cool idea for a horror game is one where you are accustomed to a limited space, and as you progress the main plot the place becomes less familiar and more alien. Imagine if you wake up at night during a power outrage and you hear an intruder; your home suddenly becomes hostile and foreign.

The only part that elicits a chill is when you play the child's carousel toy in the nursery, Before or after that? Bleh.

Just when you think the game's over, and you bring the final ingredient to the canvas, you're painting you are suddenly plunged into a new room. Here you must spend 10 minutes pissing around and collecting Draught pieces for some reason.

The game tries to unnerve you with freaky paintings, with those portraits of the hairy Gonzalez people and all I could think about was Brass Eye: "Mandrills are protected under British law after Queen Elizabeth the First gave birth to a child resembling a mandrill by mistake."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

Not played Nier Automata in forever but went back to it last night only to fight some infuriating boss in the desert. Like some centipede/millipede thing and the segments all fall and then fire lasers everywhere and the segments are all screen-filling and you can't see a drat thing. It was terrible.

Yeah that boss is terrible.

And for some reason they decided that this boss fight was the perfect time to introduce a new player power that's horridly unsuited to the fight. You activate it for the damage boost, then the boss probably flies off out of reach before you can get any hits in, and shoots you to death during your recovery period.