Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bogart posted:

Rileys mission is the easiest of the lot. Just remember to bring extra control units unless you wanna go harvester hunting or short power for half the moon base.

This is what I'm doing every run now that money isn't a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Why would you even spend SP on fuses, just grab two in the basement of the same tower! Lol, what an empty non-mission.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

“Spend” is a big word when I have 300000 SP in the bank.

First run is usually to the tower, to check if any are missing, then the extra goes to the non functioning tram. I could fabricate them in the tower, but gently caress effort. :shrug:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I was just paranoid of running low on SP in case of a bad series of runs. For the most part I'd only buy the cheapest pis' and some bullets, and hoard the rest.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Man, Mooncrash sounds really fun and interesting. Roguelike elements with persistent progression sounds something I'd really enjoy.

Im currently save scumming my way through the Hard mode campaign so permadeath dlc sounds interesting.

Still gotta finish campaign first.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

I do wish that they'd mix up the skill distribution in Mooncrash a bit. Only one of the characters being able to use Spare Parts at all is a bit meh. Giving a couple of extra characters the ability to maintain their weapons (inefficiently) and do level 1 repairs makes so much sense. As does giving more than one character access to equipping more than 3 chipsets and having a slightly bigger inventory. Giving level 1 hacking to a couple of characters would also make sense to me.

Other than that, Mooncrash is awesome so far. I'm kind of stuck at the moment, though. I want to get all the skills, but I need to scan a Poltergeist. (Presumably. I need Lift 2 and Remote Manipulation 3. Seems Poltergeist-y.) I kept running into them early on. But I haven't seen one since getting the Psychoscope.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Nion posted:

I do wish that they'd mix up the skill distribution in Mooncrash a bit. Only one of the characters being able to use Spare Parts at all is a bit meh. Giving a couple of extra characters the ability to maintain their weapons (inefficiently) and do level 1 repairs makes so much sense. As does giving more than one character access to equipping more than 3 chipsets and having a slightly bigger inventory. Giving level 1 hacking to a couple of characters would also make sense to me.

Other than that, Mooncrash is awesome so far. I'm kind of stuck at the moment, though. I want to get all the skills, but I need to scan a Poltergeist. (Presumably. I need Lift 2 and Remote Manipulation 3. Seems Poltergeist-y.) I kept running into them early on. But I haven't seen one since getting the Psychoscope.

My thoughts exactly - I was put off initially when they announced the rogue-lite aspects, but it's by and large a success. Having only one character able to hack, repair etc was a pain though. Wouldn't it have made sense for head of security to have some basic hacking ability, or for the director of a science complex to be able to repair some basic machinery?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

All they really need to do is randomize where some of the bodies are. Plot-critical corpses are randomized (I found the pilot in an air duct, once) but as it is most all of them are set in place and thus you always find keys in the same place.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Trip report Day 2

I survived the trip in the hardware/engineering section. I felt like a genius when I solved the science director's safe code and the hidden safe in the engineering guy's office.

Also I had a epiphany when I realized I can use grenades to remove heavy debris and kill phantoms. Also I realized you can make stairs by shooting gloo on the wall.

I love how exploring doesnt necessarily rely on new upgrades, you just figure stuff out naturally.

Getting ready to explore volunteers quarters.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man what a game. had no idea this was a system shock-lite and saw it was $15 on steam. that ending is as trippy (if not moreso) than the beginning..Would love to see a sequel but i'm doubtful they are going to do one with lack of sales from this title

Nice to hear how good Mooncrash is. I'm still a bit on the fence of buying it but the overall gameplay of the initial game is pretty fun and i love roguelikes so maybe i'll cop it one day. definitely liked this game moreso than Dishonored 1 and Deus Ex HR

bef fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 28, 2018

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
offtopic but anyone played Arx fatalis? looks pretty interesting and im still itching for this kind of gameplay. only a buck something too so i figured why not

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What the gently caress is up with thermal phantoms and weapon durability, anytime one of them so much as exists next to me my weapon instantly breaks, no matter how much durability it has. Which is a pretty big problem when only one character can actually fix them.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

bef posted:

offtopic but anyone played Arx fatalis? looks pretty interesting and im still itching for this kind of gameplay. only a buck something too so i figured why not

Yes great game, make sure you dont run into this one bug that totally killed my first round through and I didn't have the heart to replay. Think a lot of Deus Ex w/o tech and a dash of Thief type stuff.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Digirat posted:

What the gently caress is up with thermal phantoms and weapon durability, anytime one of them so much as exists next to me my weapon instantly breaks, no matter how much durability it has. Which is a pretty big problem when only one character can actually fix them.

Keep your distance / leave those dudes for your psi warriors. Or “swing away” and eat a bunch of candy / synthetic skin after.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

bef posted:

Arx Fatalis was fantastic and very much in the same genre as System Shock/Prey, except your "space station" was a system of caves. Also, make sure you're not sleeping on Dark Messiah of Might and Magic while you're at it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

My thoughts exactly - I was put off initially when they announced the rogue-lite aspects, but it's by and large a success. Having only one character able to hack, repair etc was a pain though. Wouldn't it have made sense for head of security to have some basic hacking ability, or for the director of a science complex to be able to repair some basic machinery?

Head of security repairing (but only weapons) or having extended inventory seems logical. I'm find with hacking and repairing environmental objects being exclusive.

bef posted:

Would love to see a sequel but i'm doubtful they are going to do one with lack of sales from this title

They did get a sequel/DLC out... :shrug:

WaltherFeng posted:

Trip report Day 2
I'm liking his, by the way.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

bef posted:

Like others have said, Arx is excellent. You'll want to check out Arx Libertatis, which makes the game actually work on modern systems.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Trip report Day 3

Met my first Poltergeist in the Volunteers quarters. Managed to kill it by unloading my pistol ammo on it. Then I ran to this huge floating machine thing. Luckily I had a big stash of EMPs and grenades so I just threw everything I had to kill it quickly.

Also I feared I had missed the shotgun somehow but I managed to find it in the Lobby after exploring a bit. January becomes weird. Talking about "us"? Yeah, something is not quite right. Found a note signed "M". Suspicious.

Psychotronics was interesting. I found a guy who was alive so I decided to save him. I couldnt get into the morgue because I couldnt find a science bot anywhere. Decided to buy the force blast typhon skill. Helped a lot against the miniboss.

I had to purchase Hacking 2 because I couldnt figure out the fan puzzle in GUTS. Turned out it was just a GLOO puzzle.

Found myself in the garden place. Im curious if I could explore the cargo bay? Apparently some survivors down there including the chief of security. Fought a miniboss in the lift lobby. Used EMPs, grenades and force blast liberally.

I paid a visit to life support but turned back because I had a feeling I might need this one weapon I keep getting ammo for. Some sort of beam gun? Currently rough shape as I have a fracture and burn traumas.

Anyway, then this happened:

https://youtu.be/w8U0ne_rkK8

Oh god

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Love the trip reports, God I wish I could play this game for the first time again.

That weapon malfunction :kiss:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
One thing SS2 did bettter: no pausing in the inventory/hacking game. That extended pause must've just killed the tension right there. "oh lol it's just a phantom, I've killed 50 so far".

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Dancer posted:

One thing SS2 did bettter: no pausing in the inventory/hacking game. That extended pause must've just killed the tension right there. "oh lol it's just a phantom, I've killed 50 so far".

Playing on Hard mode definitely makes this more of a turn based FPS since you need to juggle with all your options to kill the enemy as fast as possible. Im terrible at avoiding attacks in this game.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
A possibly-fun middle ground would be like, the slow-time toggle you drop into when you aim a Typhon power happening when you drop into the inventory. Like, you wanna move the cursor around and click? OK, but the phantoms are gonna move while you do it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

One of my favorite horror shooters The Evil Within does this and it works really well because like Prey, the combat is very deliberate so you need to use lots of tools.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bef posted:

It's Arkane's first game so it's kind of rough around the edges, but it's also really good and Not Ultima Underworld 3 in the same way Prey is Not System Shock 3. Be sure to install the source port for bug fixes and modern compatibility.

WaltherFeng posted:

Psychotronics was interesting. I found a guy who was alive so I decided to save him. I couldnt get into the morgue because I couldnt find a science bot anywhere. Decided to buy the force blast typhon skill. Helped a lot against the miniboss.

There's an Operator wandering around that area -- I forget what kind, I think Engineering? -- and if you wait long enough it'll wander into the Morgue.. You can also hit the door unlock button through a window with the nerf gun.

quote:

Found myself in the garden place. Im curious if I could explore the cargo bay? Apparently some survivors down there including the chief of security. Fought a miniboss in the lift lobby. Used EMPs, grenades and force blast liberally.

You'll eventually explore every part of Talos, and in fact you already have access to part of the cargo bay via the GUTS, but most of it is inaccessible until later.

quote:

I paid a visit to life support but turned back because I had a feeling I might need this one weapon I keep getting ammo for. Some sort of beam gun? Currently rough shape as I have a fracture and burn traumas.

The Q-beam! There's a few of them kicking around, and you've already missed two -- one in the Beams and Waves lab in Hardware Labs and one in the GUTS. It has poor DPS compared to the pistol and shotgun, and hinders movement, but is also perfectly accurate and has no damage falloff with range.

overdesigned posted:

A possibly-fun middle ground would be like, the slow-time toggle you drop into when you aim a Typhon power happening when you drop into the inventory. Like, you wanna move the cursor around and click? OK, but the phantoms are gonna move while you do it.

Dishonoured 2 does this and I'm surprised they didn't keep doing it in Prey.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Goddamnit I was afraid Im going to miss incredibly obvious weapon pickups.

In any case I'll keep backtracking to a minimum on my first run at least to keep things moving at a steady pace.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t find the q-beam until well past the halfway point, stumbled right past Beams and Waves. It’s neat but nothing vital.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ToxicFrog posted:

The Q-beam! There's a few of them kicking around, and you've already missed two -- one in the Beams and Waves lab in Hardware Labs and one in the GUTS. It has poor DPS compared to the pistol and shotgun, and hinders movement, but is also perfectly accurate and has no damage falloff with range.

It also gives absolutely zero fucks about enemy resistances.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Does anyone use lift field? What’s the point?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

BBQ Dave posted:

Fall damage is actually pretty significant.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

BBQ Dave posted:

It's useful if you're doing a typhon-neuromod-only run. Arguably you could use it for jumping higher or moving large crates out of the way, but GLOO gun and recycler grenades work just as well.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I picked up the full leverage tree in my first run through the main game before I realized that there are enough recycler grenades lying around to get you through all the obstacles five times over. It seems pointless unless you really like braining everyone with reployers

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The biggest mystery in Prey is what the gently caress a reployer is.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Reployer" is an anagram for "Prey lore"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, the top-tier weapons in Mooncrash are elemental. Shotgun that also does fire damage and has little fire modules on the side. Even an elemental Huntress Boltcaster. For when you want to short out enemy operators, I guess.

Smith Comma John posted:

I picked up the full leverage tree in my first run through the main game before I realized that there are enough recycler grenades lying around to get you through all the obstacles five times over. It seems pointless unless you really like braining everyone with reployers

Well, first of all throwing reployers or other heavy things do a TON of damage, second of all there's no limit to them unlike recycler charges, which are always in short supply (for me), and third of all you can also stack objects for climbing purposes (not strictly necessary if you can use Gloo, but whatever, I'm glad to have the option).

Prey is a perfect 0451 game in that there are always at least two or three ways to deal with any problem.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

It's a great mobility power! The jetpack is better for crossing gaps, but lift field gets you further up, faster, and does so even in situations where you can't use goo.

Offensively, it will sometimes cause the game to have a physics and just teleport enemies into the ceiling, killing them instantly. Even when it doesn't, though, it's a cheap way of completely shutting down an enemy or three while pocket volcano and mind crush are on cooldown. And it makes a decent panic button since it disables enemies at little threat to you; I believe it's the only AoE psi power that it's actually difficult to kill yourself with.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya i went through a huge chunk of the game without the q-beam. by the time i found it, it was kinda useless compared to stun gun/shotgun/pistol/psyshock combo

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

woodenchicken posted:

Arx Fatalis was fantastic and very much in the same genre as System Shock/Prey, except your "space station" was a system of caves. Also, make sure you're not sleeping on Dark Messiah of Might and Magic while you're at it.

I also picked up Dark Messiah as well ;) didnt realize that was done by Arkane! man they got a pretty nice track record. And yeah thanks all for the tidbit on mod support.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ya i went through a huge chunk of the game without the q-beam. by the time i found it, it was kinda useless compared to stun gun/shotgun/pistol/psyshock combo

I found Q beam to be a savior for a lot of phantoms/poltergeists, at the end i mainly used the q beam and stun gun for the most part.

BTW Prey is gonna be speedrun in an hour or so on SGDQ :toot:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Q beam is nice for weavers and -paths that fly out of shotgun range when you engage with them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got two Q-beams as soon as you can possibly get them the first time I played, since there’s one in the beams and waves lab and before that I found some random nook you can fly in on the outside of the station, which has a Q-beam in it, the first time I spacewalked. I have never been able to find that nook since.

Q-beam starts bad but it really is the most fun thing in the game once you upgrade it all the way and can blow up any enemy in the game with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I havent written a trip report yet for today but I just had to share what happened:

https://youtu.be/BkzL2sarD5A

:psyduck: