Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Right. You don't have to be capable of writing in "legalese" to be a representative of the people, because that's what your staff is for.

You determine what you want to do, and then you hire people to figure out how to write it and say it.

my question there is how do you then pay that staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
lawyers do what you pay them to do, it wouldn't be hard to find a team to work out the details

the only reason progressive legislation is seen as impractical is because raising taxes has become this impossible hurdle thanks to generations of republican propaganda, actually it's a really easy thing to do. Tax the rich, bing bong.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mister Fister posted:

Hillary was correct but stupid enough to say something like that publicly. It was her version of 47% or whatever that dumb thing Romney said.

If Romney's 47% of people who were dependent on government included corporate welfare, subsidies and ridiculous carve outs for the rich I might have agreed with him.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol "staff" its 2018 jist gets a think tank to write all your legislature for you

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

rudatron posted:

lawyers do what you pay them to do, it wouldn't be hard to find a team to work out the details

the only reason progressive legislation is seen as impractical is because raising taxes has become this impossible hurdle thanks to generations of republican propaganda, actually it's a really easy thing to do. Tax the rich, bing bong.

Or just deficit spend like we do for everything else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

my question there is how do you then pay that staff

A US House of Representative has a salary of 174,000 / year. By my extremely rough stupid calculations, that's enough for five people including yourself.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

A US House of Representative has a salary of 174,000 / year. By my extremely rough stupid calculations, that's enough for five people including yourself.

true. drat we pay them a lot

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
"raise taxes"? what? what is that? is that some kind of tax credit...? or is it...some defense project?...I don't

*falls to the ground*

it doesn't compute! it's impossible!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Serf posted:

true. drat we pay them a lot

they're comfortable where they are so why would they introduce bills to tax themselves

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

CountFosco posted:

The various Caribbean tax-shelters will be easy to bring under control, but Switzerland will have to be let alone. A) it's in the middle of the EU and B) it's mountainous terrain and highly-armed and very healthy populace would make for a terrible guerrilla war. One step at a time.

Give me 1000 powerful warriors and I can take switzerland in a week

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

As long as you get into close melee range the swiss pikemen will be at s disadvantage

Also autocorrect corrects pikemen to pokemon, which is sad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Calibanibal posted:

As long as you get into close melee range the swiss pikemen will be at s disadvantage

Also autocorrect corrects pikemen to pokemon, which is sad

you'd be cut down by their arbalestoises before you even got close

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

GalacticAcid posted:

what institutions are producing people ready to do quality staff work for left wing officeholders?

i would guess CEPR, EPI...any academic departments?

what ivy league should i send my extremely white son to in order to foster a true spirit of #allyship

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ElNarez posted:

basket #1 and basket #3 were actually the same exact basket, also

Not necessarily -- my dad is absolutely basket #1 because he was a Massachusetts Republican until the Tea Party became a thing and drove him off (he hasn't voted for a Republican President since 2004), but not basket #3. He's one of those Panera moderates Robby Mook thought he could nab, and in 2016 he left the President box blank.

One of the main reasons Operation Panera failed is that they forgot a lot of those suburban Republicans were in box #1 and would write in Mickey Mouse (while voting straight R in downticket)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1012361665877368832

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my grandpa voted obama (and hillary) because the republicans destroyed the stock market which is where all his money was lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

what ivy league should i send my extremely white son to in order to foster a true spirit of #allyship

Absolutely Brown

He'll get laughed out of all the unpaid-lanyard-intern parties if he's not from Harvard, Yale, or Princeton though

The problem is, they still think this poo poo is a game

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Frijolero posted:

The main attack against AOC will continue to be that "she doesn't know how to do the things she promises."

Every jackoff with an opinion is now a brain genius liberal pundit armed with the hard cold truth that "things are actually quite complex and you can't just do stuff."

You can't just Build Libraries!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Third wayism can suck my drat balls

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Again, this is either

1) Weakness and stupidity

2) Controlled opposition

Regardless, get them the gently caress out of there.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

thank you Senator Tester for taking the high road

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i really like that people are suddenly saying aoc only won because shes latina -- to them, does that mean hillary didnt rightfully earn her primary win because the voting democratic populace is primarily women?

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

logikv9 posted:

they heard "racist, sexist, xenophobic" and they thought they fit right in

tbh when the clip was played they cut out the rest of the baskets and just had the single line over and over again

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin. Oh and also there's a multiplier effect when we insult them in such a broadly generalized way that all of them with even the mildest bias will be predisposed to take offense, or ideally, embrace it!"

It's pretty dumb to insult voters likely only to vote against you, no matter the truth there is to it. It's mind-bogglingly idiotic if your politics and your electoral strategy is to court them. They boosted Trump as the unpalatable, unelectable wedge that would force republicans over into the centrist fever-dream landslide...

Gosh imagine being such an historically lovely candidate that you can manage to aptly condemn racist, sexist, and xenophobic opponents and really shoot yourself in the foot in so doing.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

anime was right posted:

i really like that people are suddenly saying aoc only won because shes latina -- to them, does that mean hillary didnt rightfully earn her primary win because the voting democratic populace is primarily women?

she didnt earn it because she ran unopposed

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/rrraygun/status/1012372786030043139

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1012372149217067009?s=19

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I still think the divide between the GOP is between the white moderates and the White Citizen Council types, like MLK wrote about.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mormonpartyboat posted:

she didnt earn it because she ran unopposed

im not talking about objective reality, im talking about their point of view

which is to say, nothing matter

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:yeah:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Al! posted:

you'd be cut down by their arbalestoises before you even got close

All I have to do is survive the first
Volley. I'll have plenty of time to close the distance then

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

hobotrashcanfires posted:

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.

You know, the Dem strategy of moving ever rightward on the economy and crime to attract upper-middle/lower-upper-class white Republican women in the suburbs might actually work if Roe is overturned.

Tump is about to step into a trap that establishment Dems have been setting for decades. Suck it, Bernailures!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Little Kielbasa posted:

You know, the Dem strategy of moving ever rightward on the economy and crime to attract upper-middle/lower-upper-class white Republican women in the suburbs might actually work if Roe is overturned.

Tump is about to step into a trap that establishment Dems have been setting for decades. Suck it, Bernailures!

:yeah:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Nah if Roe gets overturned they will just plan a trip up to Canada if their teenage daughter has an oopsie

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Zurich is on a flat plain and Geneva is basically dependent on France not blockading it. The swiss only like to pretend Hitler was scared because the truth makes them look bad.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

rudatron posted:

It hurts the job creators. You know.the guys that are bringing back all the manufacturing after the 1.5 trillion tax cut.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Feldegast42 posted:

Nah if Roe gets overturned they will just plan a trip up to Canada if their teenage daughter has an oopsie

if roe v wade is overturned, you can probably still get an abortion but only in specific states

my guess is they will take a case that bans abortion outright if they want to

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/thom_not_tom/status/1012176814125584385

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

Why did no one primary him 3 weeks ago?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Without democrats caving pre-emptively it would be as easy as three republican senators not being able to make it to the senate for a couple months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gregoriev posted:

Why did no one primary him 3 weeks ago?

montana

• Locked thread