Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I was like oh neat!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2018/06/27/amd-threadripper-32-core-processor-price-leak-shock-low-cost-will-worry-intel/

I followed the links and it is to himself then to wccftech so it's like ok what is this guys job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Reclines Obesily posted:

second AIO’s for gpus, grab the nzxt converter thingy and bolt one on

The sucky thing about NZXT is their software, if I had known about that CAM crap beforehand I would have bought a Corsair or something.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

An actual half-kilo of copper being attached to a GPU managing to match a 140mm AIO at equilibrium isn't that impressive.
I agree that the Morpheus is already impractically large and heavy for most people (though it does (barely) fit into an NCASE: https://i.imgur.com/FstrBrX.jpg). A Noctua D15 weighs a full kilogram, which I suppose is why it's so competitive with equivalently priced AIOs.

eames
May 9, 2009

Noctua says their new singletower NH-U12 will perform like the NH-D15, it is due to be released later this year.
They updated it with two of their new fans and added surface area by making fin stack thicker/longer because the fans can handle more flow resistance.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Outside of the high end of enthusiast processors and overclocking server grade stuff, whether you have air or an AIO won't matter as long as you get something that cools well. The processors are going to hit their limit at the same point provided you have an adequate cooler, and whether it's running at 83c or 60c doesn't matter unless you're expecting huge spikes in ambient temperature. And even then, my i7 3770k maxed out at 78c-82c before delid in 20c ambient and was still stable at up to 48c ambient.

I have a 1070 that doesn't go 30c above ambient on its stock non-blower cooling. It won't go above 56c or so on stock cooling even overvolted at a normal room temperature provided I use an aggressive fan curve. My 3770k would have sucked on anything because the TIM was so bad. After delidding, it's not thermals holding me back. I'm just not willing to throw potentially damaging voltage at ancient processor that I've abused endlessly.

Quality air coolers and the water cooling solutions that cost about the same perform almost identically in terms of noise and thermals. Sometimes, it even favors the air cooler.

AIOs take up less functional space in the case and people like how they look. Air coolers are a big hunk of metal with some fans attached. If you have an i7 or lower or current gen ryzen stuff, that's about the only difference between them besides "perception". If you want to venture into more expensive than air territory, water cooling can have a higher price cap, and at those higher prices you will get quieter setups with a lower aesthetic number

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 28, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LRADIKAL posted:

I was like oh neat!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2018/06/27/amd-threadripper-32-core-processor-price-leak-shock-low-cost-will-worry-intel/

I followed the links and it is to himself then to wccftech so it's like ok what is this guys job?

I realize the name used to be semi-respectable but at some point forbes.com turned themselves into a publishing platform and now you can ready literally random garbage on the site and you should pay it no more mind than reddit

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Der8auer hints at an upcoming soldered Intel CPU:

quote:

It sounds like there's a lot you're not excited about in the high-end CPU space right now. Let's talk about what you do think is interesting and new right now.

There are a lot of things that I find really interesting, but unfortunately they have not been released yet. NDA stuff. But I can say, especially on the Intel side, by the end of the year, we'll see some very exciting stuff. I can't say much more without getting into trouble.

One thing you mentioned in your video about the Intel 8086K anniversary chip was some rumors were going around it was going to be soldered, and it wasn't. It seems like that's an ongoing topic about Intel CPUs, whether they'll be soldered or not. None of the i5s or i7s are soldered still, right? What do you think about that?

Let's say that's what I meant with exciting. You can draw your own conclusion.

eames
May 9, 2009

I suspect it's going to be a TIM similar to liquid metal instead of solder, he mentioned that Intel was experimenting with such a compound in one of his older videos, just like he mentioned 8C Coffee Lake during the 8700K launch last year.
Maybe they found the long term performance to be good enough and figured out a way to package it so it doesn't spill during transport (i.e. by applying some sort of gasket material around right the die).

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

eames posted:

I suspect it's going to be a TIM similar to liquid metal instead of solder, he mentioned that Intel was experimenting with such a compound in one of his older videos, just like he mentioned 8C Coffee Lake during the 8700K launch last year.
Maybe they found the long term performance to be good enough and figured out a way to package it so it doesn't spill during transport (i.e. by applying some sort of gasket material around right the die).

They could also go with bare die+shim+spacer/support for the massive overclocker crowd.

eames
May 9, 2009

Maybe relevant, who knows

https://twitter.com/FPiednoel/status/1012378979158773760

3peat
May 6, 2010

redeyes posted:

All in one coolers are sucky? Reasons?

The one thing AIOs have going for them is that they're easier to install, otherwise they're more expensive, they introduce pump noise besides the fan noise, and a failure can be way more catastrophic than with air coolers.
The Scythe mugen 5 is under 50 euros and can keep up with way more expensive AIOs, it's my go to recommendation for anyone who doesn't want to spend Noctua money

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'm going to put together a custom water loop and none of you can stop me!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Are these AIO's using glycol as "water", or is it seriously tubes of distilled water in there?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I'm going to put together a custom water loop and none of you can stop me!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are these AIO's using glycol as "water"

Yes

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i think intel is code naming products by just opening the dictionary to a random page. prepare ur fuckin rear end for BEAN CANYON

https://wccftech.com/intel-8th-gen-coffee-lake-u-iris-plus-bean-canyon-nucs-revealed/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cygni posted:

i think intel is code naming products by just opening the dictionary to a random page. prepare ur fuckin rear end for BEAN CANYON

https://wccftech.com/intel-8th-gen-coffee-lake-u-iris-plus-bean-canyon-nucs-revealed/

After eating Mexican food my rear end is bean canyon :butt:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It's interesting to see such a long lineup of just Iris Plus models. I wonder if this is at customer request or part of some Intel-driven push to get the NUC in more graphics-intensive roles.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
More like BIN CANYON amirite?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Second gen phi doesn’t count as an accelerator, but they killed the third gen phi anyway.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Tell ya what though, if I can get some surplus Phis for video encoding I'd be all over that. 64C of AVX512 would tear x265 the gently caress up.

I looked a few weeks ago and you're talking about like $1000 for the board and $1000 for a chip ($500 for ES). Drop that to say, $500 for a mobo+CPU and I'm dtf.

you’d end up like the dude in this thread who picked up one of the first gen at $200 for to port his scientific software to

takes too much time to tune, nvidia already got to the annoying to write for market segment on lock

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The beauty of the socketed Phis is you don't need to port software, it's just a CPU with a shitload of cores and AVX. x264/x265 should just run.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 1, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Encoders AVX512 paths might not work on Phi since those paths were designed for Skylake-X, and Phi (Knights Landing/Mill) doesn't fully support the AVX512 subsets that Skylake-X supports.

https://twitter.com/InstLatX64/status/969560033922035713?s=19

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

The beauty of the socketed Phis is you don't need to port software, it's just a CPU with a shitload of cores and AVX. x264/x265 should just run.

that was Intel’s big lie. It’ll run, it won’t run well.

Turns out getting enough memory bandwidth for seventy cores is hard and the mcdram performance is funky.

But sure throw two hundred threads on there and it might be a decent encoder.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Eletriarnation posted:

It's interesting to see such a long lineup of just Iris Plus models. I wonder if this is at customer request or part of some Intel-driven push to get the NUC in more graphics-intensive roles.

I wonder if it's a reaction to AMD launching the Ryzen Embedded line since they have the same graphics as the consumer Ryzen APUs (which completely blow Intel HD Graphics out of the water). I can easily imagine industrial/commercial vendors choosing Ryzen Embedded solution over an Intel NUC for the superior graphics performance (e.g. for medical devices or digital signage).

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

PCjr sidecar posted:

Turns out getting enough memory bandwidth for seventy cores is hard and the mcdram performance is funky.
:agreed: I evaluated this for some low-end MPI bioinformatics work, and learned that throwing the existing MPI-friendly code into the Intel compiler didn't give very good performance. The next version of the software came out with support for OpenCL/CUDA so it wasn't worth pursuing it any further for us.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 2, 2018

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

But wasn't it cool being able to SSH into it?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PCjr sidecar posted:

But sure throw two hundred threads on there and it might be a decent encoder.

Again though, I literally only care about video encoding, so if it does that at say 5-10x the performance of a 5820K that would be worth like $500 to me, no sweat.

Not having good AVX512 support in the encoder would be a downer, but it should still have AVX2, right? And maybe the instructions they are using happen to coincide with that sweet spot? Again, even if it was only a 5-10x speedup that wouldn't be bad, if the price was right.

Or, if you can trivially recompile it for the proper support, that would be fine too. If there's hand-coded assembler, that might be a maybe if you could just ctrl-v the appropriate sections from the AVX2 version, or just fall back to those versions.

The standalone PCIe cards are a hard no though.

WhyteRyce posted:

But wasn't it cool being able to SSH into it?

Can you still do this on KNL? I thought that was a Larrabee thing, but of course Phi is a descendent of Larrabee so...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 2, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What would AVX512 do practically in the video encoder? Didn't x264 specifically avoid AVX for a long while?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

What would AVX512 do practically in the video encoder? Didn't x264 specifically avoid AVX for a long while?

x264 avoided AVX1 because that's almost exclusively floating point instructions that are useless for encoding, but AVX2 added integer counterparts and they absolutely use those.

https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/attachments/20130423/ffd6bfb6/attachment-0001.pdf

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

References to several 9th gen Core SKUs were found in the new microcode update. Nothing exciting though, they're still hex-cores just with slightly higher clocks than 8th gen.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

References to several 9th gen Core SKUs were found in the new microcode update. Nothing exciting though, they're still hex-cores just with slightly higher clocks than 8th gen.

No 9000 series i7s on that list though, so I guess there are our 8 cores. Still gonna be interesting to see what frequencies and TDPs are like on those suckers.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is adding two more cores and hyper-threading really going to cause the TDP on 9000 series i7s to go to the moon?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

spasticColon posted:

Is adding two more cores and hyper-threading really going to cause the TDP on 9000 series i7s to go to the moon?

I guess if all they do is add two more cores and everything else more or less the same they'll only have to raise TDP by 30% to fit the same all-core turbo. The i7-8700K is already perfectly capable of drawing >150W sustained if you let it run all cores at its stock max turbo though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any takes on the rumours of Intel selling their fabs?

eames
May 9, 2009

ufarn posted:

Any takes on the rumours of Intel selling their fabs?

couldn't find any sources claiming that but this is also interesting...

semiaccurate posted:

A massive $20+ billion market cap tech giant bet everything on Intel’s 10nm process to get a leg up on the industry during an upcoming generational change.

source: https://semiaccurate.com/2018/07/02/intel-custom-foundrys-10nm-meltdown-is-crushing-a-20b-market-cap-tech-giant/
There's some speculation that the giant is a manufacturer of 5G base station SoCs that would miss the market if they were to move the product to a different process. Pretty harsh.

eames fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 4, 2018

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Intel is a fab company that also designs chips and has some small (billion dollar) side businesses so it would be shocking in a way the amd or ibm sell off wasn’t.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TheFluff posted:

I guess if all they do is add two more cores and everything else more or less the same they'll only have to raise TDP by 30% to fit the same all-core turbo. The i7-8700K is already perfectly capable of drawing >150W sustained if you let it run all cores at its stock max turbo though.

This whole "we're only rating the chip at its base clock but stock settings will draw ~2x as much power" bullshit is getting real old.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

eames posted:

couldn't find any sources claiming that but this is also interesting...

source: https://semiaccurate.com/2018/07/02/intel-custom-foundrys-10nm-meltdown-is-crushing-a-20b-market-cap-tech-giant/
There's some speculation that the giant is a manufacturer of 5G base station SoCs that would miss the market if they were to move the product to a different process. Pretty harsh.

Nokia possibly?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Nokia possibly?

Ericsson is the other possibility. Nokia market cap appears to be around 31b, Ericsson 25b.

Siemens, Qualcomm and Samsung are significantly larger so are right out. (In addition to more obvious reasons why it wouldn’t be them)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
"don't you think it's a bit risky betting the entire business on intel getting 10nm out roughly in time"

"nah it's not like they're amd lol"