Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The first half is very early monster-of-the-week and all it entails, but even then it has some very powerful moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you guys

holy

loving

poo poo

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Voltron-21311?SOC-VoltronReveal&p=21311

the absolute madmen, they really did it, they didn't shrink the original pitched version at all, they really put out a nearly 2400 piece gigantic combining lego voltron, jesus christ

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
holy gently caress

i need it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Caphi posted:

No I'm pretty sure people who like Tekkaman Blade like it because it's sopping wet unironic pulp. It commits to it and doesn't look back. You have to at least respect it.

I have literally never seen another person recommend Tekkaman Blade without doing so specifically because of the grim personal drama and/or quality animation; all of which is apparently in the back half of the show. No-one I've seen recommend it has even mentioned the antics of the first half in any capacity.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm one of the people who really Blade but the show honestly drags rear end really hard in the beginning and I can't really blame anyone for bouncing off it. It takes a while before there's payoff.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

I'm one of the people who really Blade but the show honestly drags rear end really hard in the beginning and I can't really blame anyone for bouncing off it. It takes a while before there's payoff.

That said, the payoff is amazing and absolutely worth the time invested. Few series have gotten me to cry, but there's one episode of Blade that genuinely had me in tears and didn't need any sort of immediate violence or threat to do so. I fully recommend suffering through Blade's early-game to enjoy Blade's amazing ending.

...wait, are we talking about Tekkaman or Kamen Rider here? Because I just realized that I could say the exact same thing about both.

All of that said...

tsob posted:

I have literally never seen another person recommend Tekkaman Blade without doing so specifically because of the grim personal drama and/or quality animation; all of which is apparently in the back half of the show. No-one I've seen recommend it has even mentioned the antics of the first half in any capacity.

Even in the backend of the show the animation is still terrible and whoever told you it gets good lied to you. Few moments are great, and it's mostly off-model, off-colour, and genuinely the worst part of the show. You just learn to ignore it because you're focused on the plot, characters, and sometimes excellent background music.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oblique Angle posted:

holy gently caress

i need it

:yeah:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
That's one of the most accurate Lego replicas I've ever seen. It's this and the '77 Star Wars stuff because that's blocky and janky to start with. This is pretty slick.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

tsob posted:

Anyone who told you Tekkaman Blade had good animation only watched the OP and nothing else.

I'm not convinced they had model sheets for this show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MarsDragon posted:

Anyone who told you Tekkaman Blade had good animation only watched the OP and nothing else.

I'm not convinced they had model sheets for this show.

This feels abundantly clear in the last couple of episodes where the art style abruptly shifts so much that it looks like an entirely different show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/MikeLuckas/status/1013580546985693184

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Before I begin properly there's something I should make clear: In both my Exkaiser and Fighbird posts I intentionally kept plot developments vague. I could do this because they were both largely episodic shows with occasional bursts of episodes where something of consequence happened. Doing that with this show however would be doing it a disservice. I also don't want this post to look like some kind of secret CIA document however, so I will be talking openly about plot developments and spoilers. If you are interested in this show and feel like knowing these things would ruin it for you I would suggest you do not read on further. With all that said...

Brave of Legend Da Garn - The Nature One

Da Garn is the story of Takasugi Seiji, a young boy who becomes the leader of a group spirits tasked with defending the earth (who of course possess vehicles to become robots) against the alien Ohboss and his underlings. Right away this show takes the largest step away from its transformers roots by not making the Braves aliens, although the villains still are. I like this change since it makes the earth's and humans' involvement less incidental than it was in the previous shows. Rather than space criminals and police just happening to end up on Earth this is a direct attack against the Earth itself. Another neat twist that I couldn't appreciate when I originally watched the show is that Redlone (the first of Ohboss' subordinates to appear) isn't the main villain. In both Exkaiser and Fighbird all the villains are introduced in episode 1, and what they want is explained almost immediately. In Da Garn the fact that Redlone is just someone else's subordinate is kept secret until the episode where he's defeated.

A major improvement over the earlier two shows is that most of the monsters of the week are now autonomous. This makes it so that every time Seiji and Da Garn actually meets one of the villains it feels like a genuine dramatic moment, although this goes away towards the second half of the show where these meetings become more common. I also like that there are several different villains, each with their own arc in the show. Not only does this make for a good escalation of threat, something both of the previous shows lacked except for when the main villain finally decided to take center stage, it also makes the show feel more varied since each villain has their own theme of robot/monster.
I also enjoy how making Seiji the robots' leader makes him be more central to the conflict, although I think the way they did that feels somewhat artificial, for lack of a better word. The robots are fully sentient so why do they need a commander to tell them what to do? I'd understand it if Seiji had an arc about learning how to be a good tactical and strategic commander, but even at the end of the show his orders are rarely more complex than "beat the bad guys". Seiji does have an arc however, about learning to understand the value of nature and history and also about realizing his responsibilities. I think it's a very nice idea, since all the characters in both Exkaiser and Fighbird were almost completely static, but the show fumbles the execution. Seiji switches wildly between immature asshat and responsible commander from episode to episode well into the thirties. When the show finally tries to make a proper arc out of it it feels a bit too little too late.

The entire human (and alien) cast is very fun and varied, especially once the villains become more involved and start interacting with each other. I can't say the same however for the robots, unfortunately. None of the Braves have barely any personality, with the only way to tell them apart is their speech patterns, and even that is shared between combiner components! This is especially disappointing with Seven Changer, who's introduced as a haughty rude rear end in a top hat, but this turns out to just be a front he's putting on and in actuality he's basically the same as Da Garn. This has been a problem in previous shows as well, and I don't know if the problem is worse in this show or if I've just become increasingly tired of it.

The action feels very similar to the previous shows, although the main robot (Da Garn X/Ga Orn/Great Da Garn GX) now has several finishing moves he can pull out. This is good since it makes each fight feel less samey, but it also makes them feel somewhat arbitrary. I remember one relatively early episode where he had to use an attack that drained all his energy because he was out of other weapons, but in the very next episode he pulled out a weapon he'd never used before in the show. They do however do a better job of making each upgrade feel unique, and Great Da Garn GX now has his own arsenal rather than just being a straight upgrade from Da Garn X.

This is the first Brave show I think you could argue has consistent themes more complex than "be nice to people". Most obviously it has a pro-nature theme, but I think it kind of bungles the execution of it. First of all the heroes are mostly robots that turn into vehicles, which strikes me as an odd fit. Secondly, Ohboss is entirely an outside force, whereas I feel a show about the value of nature should at least in part have humans be the villains, since we are the ones actually harming the environment. It would have been enough if some kind of human action is what called Ohboss to Earth, but he just appeared on his own.
Da Garn has a second theme though, about helping others, which I feel is handled much better. The value of helping others is brought up very early in the show and reappears throughout, and is paramount to the climax all life on earth and even some of the earlier villains lend their strength to Da Garn.

To conclude, Da Garn is a somewhat flawed but ambitious show. Whereas Fighbird perfected the Exkaiser's formula, Da Garn seeks to do new things with it and succeeds at some of them but fails at others. If you want is a less episodic Brave show this is probably the one for you.

Traditions:
The main robot still gets damaged and replaced, but the replacement is now its own character, rather than just being a non-sentient combiner part. The two still combine to form the final upgrade.
Both Exkaiser and Da Garn had at least one form of the main robot have a lion head on its chest.
There are still 2 side teams, and in both Fighbird and Da Garn one of them has gotten an extra member partway through the show.
Drill tank still going strong.

There may be some time before my next post in this series. To avoid burning out I want to move away from Brave for a little bit, and Might Gaine is still in the process of being translated. I'll probably end up watching the very end with HK subs (shudder) though, at the rate the current translation project is going.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Zoids Wild’s first episode was a pretty charmingly-executed standard kids’ show with some good expressions. Probably worth a poke if that’s your thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is it on crunchy or Hulu?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

Before I begin properly there's something I should make clear: In both my Exkaiser and Fighbird posts I intentionally kept plot developments vague. I could do this because they were both largely episodic shows with occasional bursts of episodes where something of consequence happened. Doing that with this show however would be doing it a disservice. I also don't want this post to look like some kind of secret CIA document however, so I will be talking openly about plot developments and spoilers. If you are interested in this show and feel like knowing these things would ruin it for you I would suggest you do not read on further. With all that said...

Brave of Legend Da Garn - The Nature One

Da Garn is the story of Takasugi Seiji, a young boy who becomes the leader of a group spirits tasked with defending the earth (who of course possess vehicles to become robots) against the alien Ohboss and his underlings. Right away this show takes the largest step away from its transformers roots by not making the Braves aliens, although the villains still are. I like this change since it makes the earth's and humans' involvement less incidental than it was in the previous shows. Rather than space criminals and police just happening to end up on Earth this is a direct attack against the Earth itself. Another neat twist that I couldn't appreciate when I originally watched the show is that Redlone (the first of Ohboss' subordinates to appear) isn't the main villain. In both Exkaiser and Fighbird all the villains are introduced in episode 1, and what they want is explained almost immediately. In Da Garn the fact that Redlone is just someone else's subordinate is kept secret until the episode where he's defeated.

A major improvement over the earlier two shows is that most of the monsters of the week are now autonomous. This makes it so that every time Seiji and Da Garn actually meets one of the villains it feels like a genuine dramatic moment, although this goes away towards the second half of the show where these meetings become more common. I also like that there are several different villains, each with their own arc in the show. Not only does this make for a good escalation of threat, something both of the previous shows lacked except for when the main villain finally decided to take center stage, it also makes the show feel more varied since each villain has their own theme of robot/monster.
I also enjoy how making Seiji the robots' leader makes him be more central to the conflict, although I think the way they did that feels somewhat artificial, for lack of a better word. The robots are fully sentient so why do they need a commander to tell them what to do? I'd understand it if Seiji had an arc about learning how to be a good tactical and strategic commander, but even at the end of the show his orders are rarely more complex than "beat the bad guys". Seiji does have an arc however, about learning to understand the value of nature and history and also about realizing his responsibilities. I think it's a very nice idea, since all the characters in both Exkaiser and Fighbird were almost completely static, but the show fumbles the execution. Seiji switches wildly between immature asshat and responsible commander from episode to episode well into the thirties. When the show finally tries to make a proper arc out of it it feels a bit too little too late.

The entire human (and alien) cast is very fun and varied, especially once the villains become more involved and start interacting with each other. I can't say the same however for the robots, unfortunately. None of the Braves have barely any personality, with the only way to tell them apart is their speech patterns, and even that is shared between combiner components! This is especially disappointing with Seven Changer, who's introduced as a haughty rude rear end in a top hat, but this turns out to just be a front he's putting on and in actuality he's basically the same as Da Garn. This has been a problem in previous shows as well, and I don't know if the problem is worse in this show or if I've just become increasingly tired of it.

The action feels very similar to the previous shows, although the main robot (Da Garn X/Ga Orn/Great Da Garn GX) now has several finishing moves he can pull out. This is good since it makes each fight feel less samey, but it also makes them feel somewhat arbitrary. I remember one relatively early episode where he had to use an attack that drained all his energy because he was out of other weapons, but in the very next episode he pulled out a weapon he'd never used before in the show. They do however do a better job of making each upgrade feel unique, and Great Da Garn GX now has his own arsenal rather than just being a straight upgrade from Da Garn X.

This is the first Brave show I think you could argue has consistent themes more complex than "be nice to people". Most obviously it has a pro-nature theme, but I think it kind of bungles the execution of it. First of all the heroes are mostly robots that turn into vehicles, which strikes me as an odd fit. Secondly, Ohboss is entirely an outside force, whereas I feel a show about the value of nature should at least in part have humans be the villains, since we are the ones actually harming the environment. It would have been enough if some kind of human action is what called Ohboss to Earth, but he just appeared on his own.
Da Garn has a second theme though, about helping others, which I feel is handled much better. The value of helping others is brought up very early in the show and reappears throughout, and is paramount to the climax all life on earth and even some of the earlier villains lend their strength to Da Garn.

To conclude, Da Garn is a somewhat flawed but ambitious show. Whereas Fighbird perfected the Exkaiser's formula, Da Garn seeks to do new things with it and succeeds at some of them but fails at others. If you want is a less episodic Brave show this is probably the one for you.

Traditions:
The main robot still gets damaged and replaced, but the replacement is now its own character, rather than just being a non-sentient combiner part. The two still combine to form the final upgrade.
Both Exkaiser and Da Garn had at least one form of the main robot have a lion head on its chest.
There are still 2 side teams, and in both Fighbird and Da Garn one of them has gotten an extra member partway through the show.
Drill tank still going strong.

There may be some time before my next post in this series. To avoid burning out I want to move away from Brave for a little bit, and Might Gaine is still in the process of being translated. I'll probably end up watching the very end with HK subs (shudder) though, at the rate the current translation project is going.

Good post. I think Da-Garn is my favorite of the Braves, even though it doesn't reach the action heights of GGG it actually has characters and themes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
even if it's only half there, it's still good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXgbhyPeJAQ

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Captain Invictus posted:

even if it's only half there, it's still good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXgbhyPeJAQ

Somehow, only getting one "Go!" in "Go! Go! Power Rangers!" is more off-putting than hearing "PoRaGers!"

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Is Eight Man After good for a laugh? My dad watched the 1960s one when he was a kid and I saw that there exists grim, gritty reboot.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mimir posted:

Is Eight Man After good for a laugh? My dad watched the 1960s one when he was a kid and I saw that there exists grim, gritty reboot.

Kind of, yeah. It has a lot ofngoofy things that happen in it despite the super serious tone, like Eight Man fighting a cybernetic football team on their home field. I don't really remember the last hour of it though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I just finished watching Macross Frontier and Delta.

Frontier is a great series that's worth watching on its own merits. Nuanced characters, good plot, cool cyborg conspiracies, excellent music, and visually gorgeous.

Delta is a good series that has good characters, good music, cool antagonists with face turns, and is also really pretty to look at.

One of the defining characteristics of a Macross series is the love triangle. It's always going to be a major theme of the series. Since I';m comparing them on back to back viewings, I'm confident in giving Delta the edge; my heart aches for Mirage, and I'm also really proud of her for how she handles herself. In Frontier, Ranka/Alto is never going to work out. It's obviously a crush; it's sweet but it's doomed. Alto sees Ranka as a kid, but Sheryl as a challenge and at least an equal. In Delta, Freja/Hayate is pretty inevitable because Mirage is Hayate's senior officer; a relationship there would be just plain wrong. With Freja, I will admit that the "14 year-old who's actually middle-aged because her species only lives til 30 or so" is skeevy. Arguably, Hayate should end up with neither Freja nor Mirage because both relationships are inappropriate, but I'll credit the series for having Mirage bow out gracefully, showing a lot of character.

Frontier has better mecha action scenes, no contest. Fighting the Vajra gives us some of the best action in any Macross series. Again, Delta is good, but Frontier is great. The hair on the back of my neck stands up watching Frontier but not Delta. Both series have good action, but Frontier is just better. The end of episode 1 where a Vajra heavy unit literally juices a human pilot is the climax of a truly great action sequence, and an excellent "poo poo just got real" moment.

Characters. Delta really only has two main characters, Hayate and Freja, and neither has a serious character arc. Both of them achieve their life's ambition in episode 3. After that, it's two established characters working through the main plot. There's no real development of them, or really any of the other characters. Mirage gets a little, and Messer gets a couple of episodes worth He gets Fokker-ed in episode 10
, but the Delta characters are pretty static.

In Frontier there are three main characters; Alto, Ranka, and Sheryl. The backup characters like Michael, Luca, Ozma, and Grace get some decent development. The main three are well-developed as people with real damage and real family issues doing their best to do the right thing. They save the galaxy despite themselves. Their personalities are shown early, and there's backup to all of it. Sheryl and Alto especially have some behavioral issues; both are often not kind to those they care for. Late in the series, episode 20 we get a scene that ties all of their poo poo together. The SMS has mutinied and bailed from the Frontier fleet. Alto stayed "loyal" and is now a flight leader for New UN Spacy (NUNS). We see him leading a patrol with a couple of really green new pilots and having to play the veteran who knows what he's doing. After a scene showing that, he ends up at home with Sheryl cooking dinner. We finally get a piece of her background as a street kid stealing food from dumpsters. We also see Alto cooking an elegant meal out of whatever they could get while food is being rationed. Sheryl helps a bit, but her main purpose in this scene is to be literally triggered by sitting down to a home cooked meal in a domestic relationship. Alto's cooking skill reminds us that he broke with his surviving family about a year ago. It's never textual, but he's obviously been living by himself and going to high school. For both of these characters, this scene brings their past misbehavior into sharp focus; they both survived rough family situations by relying on themselves with no support. Sheryl was rescued from starvation on the streets by Grace, but Alto never had anyone to rely on but himself since his mother died 9 years ago, plus or minus an abusive relationship with his father. It's a very sweet scene that speaks volumes about both people in it.

Music. Frontier is better. Delta has no rock n' roll, while some of Sheryl's tunes rock. On the whole, I personally like the individual singer with occasional duets of Frontier to Delta's idol group with occasional solos. Your mileage may vary.

The series as a whole.

Frontier has its "poo poo gets real" moment in the first episode. Delta waits, and never has anything with the impact of what happens to Guilliam at the end of episode 1. Frontier has better characterization overall. Both have villains trying to create a literal galaxy brain. We're expecting a new Macross series and a Delta movie late this year; I just hope they mix up the villain's objective some.

Everyone should watch Frontier, it's a great Real War giant robot series with music. If you like Macross style stuff, you'll love Delta.

Then there are the movies. Whoo-eee, the second Frontier movie, Wings of Goodbye is way more than just an alternate take on the series story. Things get VERY different very quickly. I love it, there are just so many scenes where I was just simply joyful to see how they're playing with the characters and setting to come up with new plot. The movies are also dead sexy looking; Frontier has very high production values and is very pretty. The movies have an almost absurd budget and look simply stunning. We also get new music, some by Sheryl, some by Ranka. Watch them after the series for an extra treat.

e. have some videos.

[pretend I linked all of Frontier ep. 7 here, it's on Youtube. Macross is the series that makes its own AMVs]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEnQA0uJaug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQDVQdiHSsk

Did I mention the soundtrack for Frontier was done by Yoko Kanno ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1obTdLvPgQ

A live piece they did at a con,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEhp9cHNuzs

And some Delta love,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOGVbpF6D8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4R0JijjR70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV9l3vBxU2Y

and a bonus from Wings of Goodbye, ride the wave !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uULjjKgHPkE

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 22, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I enjoyed both Frontier and Delta a lot but personally preferred Delta. I just generally liked its music and spectacle better, and I liked its goofy aspects like the conspiracy revolving around apples and bottled water and so on. I'd say its biggest flaw is that the ending doesn't' really have the impact it should. Still ended up being my favorite anime of 2016 though.

As far as the Frontier movies go I think I prefer them to the series (Particularly their ending) though I think they have the same issue that DYRL does to an extent in that they kind of assume you have familiarity with the plot of the TV show for some of the context. DYRL suffers from that way worse though, as fantastic as its animation is.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 22, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also did anyone else find it amusing that when you combine Sheryl Nome's name with Ranka Lee that you get Sheryl Lee? I've been wondering if that was an intentional nod to Twin Peaks or something for a while now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Raxivace posted:

I enjoyed both Frontier and Delta a lot but personally preferred Delta. I just generally liked its music and spectacle better, and I liked its goofy aspects like the conspiracy revolving around apples and bottled water and so on. I'd say its biggest flaw is that the ending doesn't' really have the impact it should. Still ended up being my favorite anime of 2016 though.

As far as the Frontier movies go I think I prefer them to the series (Particularly their ending) though I think they have the same issue that DYRL does to an extent in that they kind of assume you have familiarity with the plot of the TV show for some of the context. DYRL suffers from that way worse though, as fantastic as its animation is.

I'm going to agree that Delta didn't land its ending as well as it could have. It was still really good.

The Frontier movies had a "holy poo poo" moment about every 5 minutes, so for entertainment value they rate really high. Two hours worth of one of the movies is more entertaining than 5 episodes, but the Frontier series has real heart and character.

Watch it all !

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I might have just missed all the fun ones in my brief looks, but what I've seen of Macross Delta makes me very confused that any fight in it would be described as "good".

Macross fights are supposed to be slick because you get fighter jets shifting into robots to execute insane 3D maneuvers, then firing a billion missiles to make everything explode.

Macross Delta fights are mostly one fighter jet chasing another and shooting bullets in its general direction, then they both leave. Even the times where you actually get to see the variable in variable fighter don't have any kick.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I have heard absolutely zilch about that Pandora show directed by our pal Kawamori. Like, I know he's had a spotty track record as a director recently, but I mean Aquarion and Nobunaga the Fool were at least weird and interesting. Anyone know how that one's panned out?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

I have heard absolutely zilch about that Pandora show directed by our pal Kawamori. Like, I know he's had a spotty track record as a director recently, but I mean Aquarion and Nobunaga the Fool were at least weird and interesting. Anyone know how that one's panned out?

It got picked up by Netflix, so we'll probably get more discussion when it's legally available. As in any.

Sounds like it sucks from the tiny bit I have heard, though.

Also, it's still ongoing right now, apparently.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loved Frontier, but I didn't care about most of the characters in Delta. Two pink and green haired singers were cool and good, but they didn't have much going on. I can't even remember what was the big twist with the purple haired idol

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mllaneza posted:

One of the defining characteristics of a Macross series is the love triangle. It's always going to be a major theme of the series. Since I'm comparing them on back to back viewings, I'm confident in giving Delta the edge; my heart aches for Mirage, and I'm also really proud of her for how she handles herself.

I'll preface this by saying I never finished Delta. I watched the first 2/3rds or so of the show, but dropped it out of boredom after that. I''m only going on hearsay regarding the events of the last few episodes and having watched one particular part (Mirage's flashback) on Youtube. That said: I think Hayate's issues with his father are potentially interesting, as are Mirage's piloting problems; but the show never does anything with either of them. Those issues are just kicked along harmlessly for the majority of the show, then resolved with no real impact after a while. Mirage is just suddenly a better pilot for no real reason for instance. Hayate does wonder once or twice about his father, but the show doesn't do anything of note with it. That's somewhat of an issue with Alto and his father too actually, but at least there's some subtext in Frontier that you can use to resolve things in your head. Mirage was better on paper than she was in the show, and there was some cool stuff on various forums suggested about how she might resolve her issues or be a better strategist or commander than pilot who finds her role in life after stepping away from piloting etc. Once she realizes she has a crush on Hayate she spends the entire show revolving completely around that one fact and never does anything else however. The brief flashback of her in a plane at Genius airbase with Max is about the only time there was anything to her character after that to my knowledge.

mllaneza posted:

In Delta, Freja/Hayate is pretty inevitable because Mirage is Hayate's senior officer; a relationship there would be just plain wrong. With Freja, I will admit that the "14 year-old who's actually middle-aged because her species only lives til 30 or so" is skeevy.

I fail to see how either of them are skeevy really. Mirage is only Hayate's senior officer for the first few episodes when she's training him; after which she's basically of the same rank and the two are just wingmen. She gets a promotion after Messer dies if I recall, but it's only a minor one that doesn't change her actual role in any meaningful way. As for Freyja? Yea, she's only a teenager, but (A) so is Hayate, who is only just over two years her senior at 17 and (B) so are most Macross love triangle characters. Minmany and Hikaru are only 16 or 17 in the TV animation for instance. Misa is older, but even she's probably only 19 or 20.

I found Freyja's depiction annoying mostly because I thought that her species only living till about 30 was an interesting idea that could have been used to write her and the Windermereans as whole as older than they appears in terms of personality or with a different view on life, but they were written identically to their apparent human age in most instances. Freyja was identical to any other teenage girl so the species term limits inclusion made no real difference.

mllaneza posted:

Frontier has its "poo poo gets real" moment in the first episode. Delta waits, and never has anything with the impact of what happens to Guilliam at the end of episode 1. Frontier has better characterization overall.

I think Delta probably has the strongest first episode in the franchise personally and while it doesn't have a "poo poo gets real" moment, I don't think it needs one and that it instead has a "poo poo's wild" vibe instead. I'd say almost the entire fight in the back half of the episode constitutes things getting wild, but if there's any particular moment to make "it", then it'd probably be Mikumo riding a Valkyrie while singing to debuff a Zentradi combatant. It's a great first episode that promises some amazing things and the show completely fails to deliver on any of them. Walkure almost immediately start singing on confined stages, effectively removing them almost entirely from the battlefield for instance and Mikumo's character is just a giant nothing burger whose mystery is drawn out so long that I stopped caring and was just a wet fart when it was finally revealed that she was a clone or something. Which, who cares really when it's in Macross? Every single Zentradi until maybe one generation ago was a clone and most living humans must be too, given that the human species was almost wiped out in SDF: Macross, but is now thriving across the stars. It's not even given any weight in the show, since everyone just accepts it and moves on immediately.

I loved the first episode and couldn't wait for it to start, and the next few episodes are an okay step back from action to set up things but I don't think the show ever recaptured that spark and I was getting bored of it by episode 5 or 6. I stopped watch around episode 17 and I doubt I'll ever finish it. It's just a really dull, underwhelming show in my opinion. I love the idea of the singers becoming an active element of battle, of songs being used to buff or debuff characters, of idols being used as an emergency service to respond to things similar to police or firemen; but Delta completely squandered those concepts, barely even using them after the first episode. It's to the point where I wonder if the producers didn't see some negative reaction following episode one's early release and force Kawamori to get rid of things people were complaining about. Ditching those controversial things just made the show really bland and lifeless though. It's not bad, it's just not good either. It's completely mediocre after a few episodes.

Raxivace posted:

I'm not a fan of the Frontier movies, though that's mostly because I hated the inclusion of Alto and Sheryl meeting as kids and inspiring each other, then forgetting about it until they're already in love with each other. It felt like a really unnecessary and ham-handed addition to the story that added nothing of value. I loved their relationship in the show, with Sheryl being one of my favorite anime characters, and thought the base of their relationship was really interesting: Sheryl falls for Alto because Alto doesn't see her as this glamorous and untouchable idol but just as a human because he's lived that life before while Alto falls for her because she constantly pushes and challenges him. It makes for a strong, interesting dynamic.

Gyra_Solune posted:

I watched the first three episodes if I recall and dropped it. Not because I was doing a "3 episode test" or anything, since I had downloaded more I wanted to try; just because I honestly could not bring myself to watch more. The show is quite ugly for a start. Especially the monster enemies. Not because of the 3D itself or anything, but because the show tries to hide the models as much as possible by using a dark color palette, changing camera angles around a lot and giving the monsters something like "dazzle pattern" armor which makes them impossible to take in all at once. It makes them really hard to look at, and the action hard to take in because of it. It's not nauseating; but it's not far off either. I found the writing kind of annoying too; fairly generic and boring most of the time, but with the main character's adopted sister mentioning a "family contract" at least once an episode to force her brother to do something in a kind of nagging manner. It's not even that she was pushing him in to certain behavior though, since he kind of needs it frankly; it just comes off as really unnatural and not a way siblings, even adopted siblings of only a few years would speak or interact. It tries to paint the main character as a forgetful genius, which is why the sister has to berate him constantly. It does work on occasion, adding a bit of humor to a scene; like when he's walking down a corridor so lost in some text he's reading that he bumps in to a pillar and instinctively apologizes without realizing it's not a person. Most of the time it just comes off unnecessary and annoying though.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I loved Frontier, but I didn't care about most of the characters in Delta. Two pink and green haired singers were cool and good, but they didn't have much going on. I can't even remember what was the big twist with the purple haired idol

My favorite thing about them was that flashbacks paint them as not getting on at all, but then Mikumo (the purple haired idol) shows up, sings once and the two of them start getting along; implying that her singing mind washed them in to being gay. It's just so bizarrely stupid and I have no idea what the writer meant to convey with that scene, but it's almost certainly not what it comes out implying regardless.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 22, 2018

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Really glad you enjoyed Frontier and Delta, Mll and that was a fantastic writeup. After Zero I was really iffy about Frontier when it was announced, but watching it I got drawn in right away. Part of that is that it draws heavily from the original Macross so there's a lot that's either rehashing what came before or making reference to the previous shows and it hit my nostalgia sensors in all the right places. Plus it looked and sounded absolutely fantastic. It may not quite be Plus (but what is?) but it's fun and exciting all the way through.

Delta I felt wasn't quite there. Good music, visuals were fine, but you hit it right on the head when you said Freyja and Hayate reach their goals in episode 3 and then never quite grow or get an arc after that. It's an okay show, certainly better than the worst Macross has been, but at least for me it wasn't as good as Macross can be.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Delta is good if you enjoy trainwrecks that are somehow also boring 90% of the way through

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I might be alone here, but I'm not really a fan of Plus. It's certainly pretty, and it's got some great setup but the movie has an underwhelming conclusion that doesn't really say anything despite it's setup. Like, the movie sets up a trio of people who are being pushed out of their dreams by emerging technology that's making them obsolete yet the movie never really says anything about why they're not actually obsolete or why their obsolescence might not be the end of the world; it just has them defeat said technology through disparate magics. Myung unconsciously uses song magic to defeat Sharon by waking Isamu from Sharon's hypnosis and Guld uses magic technology that allows him to keep up with the AI of his purely technological opponent; even if he does so at the cost of his own life. Neither of which really answer the questions the movie raises about human roles when technology might replace them in any way.

More than that though, the movie builds up a major dramatic revelation about the past relationship between Isamu, Guld and Myung; and then when it's finally revealed it's given no weight by the cast at all. Isamu just laughs it off, in the process equating attempted rape with him stealing one of Guld's toys when they were both kids. I just don't care about the drama, because none of the cast do once it's out in the open. It's not a remotely satisfying conclusion given the build up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you seen the ova version? I don't know how different it is but what your describing isn't how I remember plus.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

Have you seen the ova version? I don't know how different it is but what your describing isn't how I remember plus.

I can't even remember if I watched the OVA or movie version honestly (I used the word movie for convenience really), but the elements are so central to the narrative and the two versions so similar to my knowledge that I can't see the other version significantly changing it. How do you remember Isamu and Guld handling the reveal that Guld was the one who almost raped Myung? How do you remember Myung waking Isamu and/or Myung and Isamu defeating Sharon? How do you remember Guld defeating the Ghost?

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 22, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tsob posted:

I'm not a fan of the Frontier movies, though that's mostly because I hated the inclusion of Alto and Sheryl meeting as kids and inspiring each other, then forgetting about it until they're already in love with each other. It felt like a really unnecessary and ham-handed addition to the story that added nothing of value. I loved their relationship in the show, with Sheryl being one of my favorite anime characters, and thought the base of their relationship was really interesting: Sheryl falls for Alto because Alto doesn't see her as this glamorous and untouchable idol but just as a human because he's lived that life before while Alto falls for her because she constantly pushes and challenges him. It makes for a strong, interesting dynamic.
I don't think I'd even necessarily say that in the TV series that Alto fell for Sheryl when the love triangle ends unresolved- the changed dynamics in the film (The childhood thing, the spy accusation plotline that's transferred from Ranka in the TV version to Sheryl in the movies etc.) version pushes towards the "Sheryl wins" ending that it uses which is pretty important and leads to the more bittersweet part of the ending too.

Yeah its pretty heavy handed or whatever but so is the entire Macross franchise, if not all of mecha anime to begin with.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 22, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's nothing unresolved about the ending of the TV show's love triangle; Sheryl and Alto have actual dates with romantic dinners, the grunts in Alto's squad make fun of him for dating Sheryl, he tells her won't ever leave her at least twice, they kiss multiple times and are implied to have sex (which the novels confirm if you want to count that) and Alto clearly treats Ranka as a sibling from beginning to end. Ranka says she won't give up, but Alto never indicates any romantic or sexual interest in her and he and Sheryl are explicitly a couple. There's nothing unresolved about it. That people think it's somehow unresolved because a line that is clearly referring to friendship (i.e. the "you're both my wings" line) that follows directly from Ranka talking about the friendship between them is why the movie had to be so blunt if anything.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 22, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gyra_Solune posted:

It hasn't panned out in any direction yet because it's on Netflix so most of us can't watch it.

I watched a few while I was on vacation. It exists and is insanely Kawamori in basically every way but I had to come back to Bingeland before I saw enough to form a strong opinion on it... which is probably an impression in and of itself. It's a kind of cute robeast-of-the-week show I guess but the aesthetics are relentlessly dystopian-gunmetal-and-rust. I imagine I'll give it another shot when I can access it again and see if it ever goes anywhere (in September, probably? jesus Netflix) but from what I remember I have no idea how it's going to draw out to 26 episodes.

Speaking of Netflix anime, I finished ID-0 the other day. It's a kind of neat transhumanists in space thing, just interesting enough not to overstay its welcome at one cour, but Netflix' subtitles are so bad I had to turn them off.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 22, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tsob posted:

There's nothing unresolved about the ending of the TV show's love triangle;
I don't agree. It is absolutely is unresolved- Alto does not explicitly choose one girl over the other, and one of the final scenes of the show is even Sheryl and Ranka reaffirming to each other that their romantic rivalry is only continuing.

quote:

he and Sheryl are explicitly a couple.
For one bit of the show when Alto thought she was going to die. It was out of pity. Sheryl even has a line afterwards about how they were only "pretending at being lovers".

quote:

Alto never indicates any romantic or sexual interest in her and Alto clearly treats Ranka as a sibling from beginning to end
That's absolutely coded in a way to suggest some amount of romantic interest- its part of how Frontier is playing off of the moe craze, the "desire to protect cuteness" or whatever. Its why you have a bunch of scenes about Alto wondering about Ranka (Even during some of the "dates" with Sheryl).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

Speaking of Netflix anime, I finished ID-0 the other day. It's a kind of neat transhumanists in space thing, just interesting enough not to overstay its welcome at one cour, but Netflix' subtitles are so bad I had to turn them off.

The best part of ID-0 is the 80s as gently caress "where are they now?" montage in the final episode.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ikenai Borderline is a banger though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

EthanSteele posted:

Ikenai Borderline is a banger though.

I only liked Giraffe Blues after Messer died.