Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

re: hats

I feel like could have just said they get a brainscan during the mandatory come down time/therapy sessions or w/e the ARG said guests need to do before they can go home.

but i thot the hats were a cute moment lol and almost felt like William was loving with Emily so I can forgive it

e: detox-resortmind

esperterra fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

esperterra posted:

tbh my only real issue with the twist itself, rather than the way they tried to hide it, was I felt we didn't get enough hints at the kind of man William really was before he snapped and went black hat, so his sudden turn didn't feel very earned to me. That and it had like 0 thematic relevance to present Billy's story and felt like kind of a waste, when the relevant backstory pieces it does lend to present William-- his connection with Delos, his fixation on Dolores/etc-- could have easily been told through dialogue or Dolores-centric flashbacks. It just felt like a lot of wasted time, when freeing Dolores of the Young William storyline could have opened her stuff up to be even more mind bendy and weird as she travels through the memories a bunch of old broken loops.
I don't know, we're clearly supposed to empathize with Dolores in the reveal scene - going so far as to see the William/MiB switch from her POV - and part of that is the shock of the reveal. Following Young William's storyline is also an important part of actually getting the viewer in the mindset of Dolores, experiencing her confusion alongside her rather than merely observing. Like, what you're actually suggesting is essentially what they did with Bernard in S2, and I'm going to take a brave stand here and say that the Young William/Dolores storyline was by far the superior of the two.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
My fiancee turned me on to this podcast that covers the episodes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/westworld/id1162324968?mt=2

They do a good job of giving detailed recaps and defragging the scattered memories/timelines. There's a lot of good points and details that I didn't notice in there. In hindsight I didn't have a huge problem with the season, although it was clearly a step down from season one. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Stranger Things.

So who do you think the brains that Dolores took are (or would like them to be)? It seemed pretty clear that Dolores didn't bring Bernard but rebuilt him, so that leaves all five open. For me:
- Lawrence (Dolores does have history of interacting with him so maybe she thought he'd be useful on the outside)
- Maeve (I don't think she took her but it'd be interesting if she did and then they built a new Maeve in the park)
- Abernathy (Seems obvious, I'm excited to see him act more without having to glitch)
I honestly don't know who else.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dolores from William's POV is, to me, observing her rather than going alongside her. Most of her scenes with him are to the service of his storyline rather than hers, imo, and I felt more for her when she would go off on her own storyline tangents.

William's story as it connects to Dolores is fine and still possible from her POV with her hosed mind. William's own storyline felt half baked and unearned and a waste of time, imo, that existed mostly for the reveal-- which I had sorted out a few episodes in, so I was observing Young Will's solo stuff/turn to black hat in the context of whether I thought it was worth it in relation to his story in the present.

Wouldn't you agree that, perhaps, knowing Billy was MiB all along would have opened way more doors to play with whatever kind of hosed up connection he and Dolores have? e: It could even still be a reveal to her, that this young man she loved is also this old man she loathes.

e: tl;dr young william had a ton of scenes w/o dolores that I thought were a waste and i would have felt better about the will/mib reveal if we only ever saw him in the context of dolores' memories and how she experiences them when she breaks loops

honestly would have rather learned about his delos connections thru ed harris. tho i would miss logan-kun

esperterra fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 28, 2018

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

esperterra posted:

but i thot the hats were a cute moment lol and almost felt like William was loving with Emily so I can forgive it

If they turn it into a dad joke I will forgive everything.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Reddit proof choices for pearls:

1. Old Bill
2. Baby Ford
3. Walter
4. Sheriff Pickett
5. Eye Patch

esperterra posted:

that existed mostly for the reveal-- which I had sorted out a few episodes in,
Pretty sure you're an outlier there. They have to write the show for the regular viewer, who don't bother trying to piece together the puzzle and go on the internet and discuss everything down to the tiniest detail. Paying too much attention to the latter seems to be what compels them to write incoherently, as a way to make sure no one can figure out the puzzle.

esperterra posted:

e: tl;dr young william had a ton of scenes w/o dolores that I thought were a waste and i would have felt better about the will/mib reveal if we only ever saw him in the context of dolores' memories and how she experiences them when she breaks loops

honestly would have rather learned about his delos connections thru ed harris. tho i would miss logan-kun
Young William also serves to give the viewer a tour of the park, how it can seduce you and poo poo - a piece that would be missing if you just made the story entirely about Dolores. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the approach they used for S1, it's just that they entirely failed to capitalize on it for S2.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty sure you're an outlier there. They have to write the show for the regular viewer, who don't bother trying to piece together the puzzle and go on the internet and discuss everything down to the tiniest detail.

Never said I wasn't, and I wish they had written S2 with the regular viewer in mind lmao.

Fair point on him being a human's view into the park. I just think his personal story was bad and unearned in the end-- the turn was too quick. But I do still think they could have played more with the connection between Dolores and William without obfuscating the timelines and instead being upfront about it.

Besides, like I said in my first post on this subject most of my big issues with the William and Will/Dolores stuff is it being worse after the wet fart of them never interacting in season 2. I cared way less about the stuff I'm now bitching about back when S1 ended and I thought it was leading somewhere.

I hope every pearl is Old Bill.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Durzel posted:

Hot take: BCS season 2 is what happens when you know you're going to get picked up for season 3+ before you've even started. It was very plodding to the point of indulgence, and I enjoy slow burning stuff.
I really like Better Call Saul, it’s a great character study and has perhaps the best cinematography of any television show. But you’re right, it’s definitely not flawless. The pacing can be frustratingly slow because they continuously backpedal any time the stakes could start getting higher or on any character growth Saul makes. Season 2 could be almost completely omitted without losing much.

Durzel posted:

Also I can't understand the mindset of people who "loved the Stubbs reveal". There was nothing that built up to it, it just happened.
There was one single thing that suggested it - Stubbs was confronted by the Ghost Nation at the end of season 1... but even that doesn’t work now because we know they wouldn’t have harmed him if he was human anyway.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I'm getting caught up on the thread but this is from pages ago...

General Dog posted:

I feel like my difficulty connecting with this show comes down to two things:

1) Every character's agenda/motivations is obfuscated at all times, and in the rare case where it's made unambiguous, it either turns out to be a misdirect or the character just makes a 180 because plot

2) We spend a lot of time each week with people who can't die shooting and getting shot at

So, like The Walking Dead? I agree.

My friend's wife has an astrology business and wants to practice Past Life Regression on me. I'm now worried that it will turn out to be a fidelity test.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

superjew posted:

So who do you think the brains that Dolores took are (or would like them to be)? It seemed pretty clear that Dolores didn't bring Bernard but rebuilt him, so that leaves all five open. For me:
- Lawrence (Dolores does have history of interacting with him so maybe she thought he'd be useful on the outside)
- Maeve (I don't think she took her but it'd be interesting if she did and then they built a new Maeve in the park)
- Abernathy (Seems obvious, I'm excited to see him act more without having to glitch)

How did Dolores get Bernard out of the park if she didn't take his brain trackball? Without Bernard's memories, that's not really Bernard at all.

I mean, there could be more than five in that purse, under the other items.

I think Maeve is probably gonna be salvaged by Sylvester and Felix.

esperterra posted:

Never said I wasn't, and I wish they had written S2 with the regular viewer in mind lmao.

Can't put that horse back in the stable, now that they know people like you exist.

It's why we can't have nice things.

tomapot posted:

My friend's wife has an astrology business and wants to practice Past Life Regression on me. I'm now worried that it will turn out to be a fidelity test.

While walking along in desert sand, you suddenly look down and see a tortoise crawling toward you. You reach down and flip it over onto its back. The tortoise lies there, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over, but it cannot do so without your help. You are not helping. Why?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
She reconstructed him again, but also somehow gave him his updated memories, and recreated his full awakening to consciousness, by, uh, I dunno don’t worry about it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

How did Dolores get Bernard out of the park if she didn't take his brain trackball? Without Bernard's memories, that's not really Bernard at all.

I mean, that's kind of the central question of the show, isn't it?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Entropic posted:

Better Call Saul turned out to be a way better show than Breaking Bad.

I just hope they marathon it before next season starts, since I don't remember what happened anymore. I think his brother died?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Laserface posted:

This season was written on the fly to appeal to the online fanbase and give them what they wanted and it shows really badly.

the whole ShogunWorld thing was loving stupid. Its just like how seeing the Xenomorph skull in the Predators ship at the end of Predator 2 gave us the AVP movies - it was a cool little concept on its own but when actually fleshed out it was never going to work because the two things were never really created with interaction in mind.

Shogunworld could have been a cool bottle episode later in the shows lifespan (like an alternative perspective on the host uprising from the end of S1) but instead it was thrown in to the primary story in a really hamfisted way and for little to no real use to the progression of the story either. The same goes for the 'other' parks like Rajworld.

God, I cant get over how loving messy and just uneventful this entire season was.

We did learn that the other parks just have reused "quests" and characters with different skins on them, so its not that imporant to explore them?

It was cool that Maeve gained/learned more powers, but if she can control/re-program other hosts, why does she have them kill each other (just like the Clemintine virus in the end)? Just order the hosts: disarm, sit down, go to analysis mode, repeat.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Laserface posted:

the whole ShogunWorld thing was loving stupid. Its just like how seeing the Xenomorph skull in the Predators ship at the end of Predator 2 gave us the AVP movies - it was a cool little concept on its own but when actually fleshed out it was never going to work because the two things were never really created with interaction in mind.

I don't know. I saw the Westworld movie recently and a big chunk of it is scenes from other parks. It's not really that crazy to show it.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I have no idea what Westworld's vision is.

It's about artificial intelligence replacing humans.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

superjew posted:

My fiancee turned me on to this podcast that covers the episodes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/westworld/id1162324968?mt=2

They do a good job of giving detailed recaps and defragging the scattered memories/timelines. There's a lot of good points and details that I didn't notice in there. In hindsight I didn't have a huge problem with the season, although it was clearly a step down from season one. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Stranger Things.

She didn't rebuild him from scratch, he was one of the five pearls,.

It would have taken thousands upon thousands of hours, years of work to rebuild him from scratch, particularly lacking access to the tools Ford gave her to access his files and build upon them. The blood on the tools she used to open her Hale head to remove her own pearl and put it into the new body she built for herself was still somewhat fresh, and any work she DID do on him in that house was in her own new body, which makes it impossible for her to have spent the time needed to rebuild him from scratch, even if one could assume she could do it all from memory perfectly the first time for every single line of code.

She just made him a new body, put his pearl in it, then repaired him and made sure his memory wasn't all hosed up anymore by all the poo poo he'd gone through at the park (getting shot in the head, fragmenting his memory on purpose, etc), which probably took a day or two of sessions in the room.

It's almost certainly not Maeve, she was under the water until the Delos team drained it, and the whole point of Felix and Sylvester's last scene was that they were going to "salvage" Maeve (and probably Hector and Armistice and maybe maybe Japanese Armistice), which they can't do if they have no pearls (since there's no cradle to draw from). Abernathy is a strong possibility, though.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

PowerBuilder3 posted:

We did learn that the other parks just have reused "quests" and characters with different skins on them, so its not that imporant to explore them?

It was cool that Maeve gained/learned more powers, but if she can control/re-program other hosts, why does she have them kill each other (just like the Clemintine virus in the end)? Just order the hosts: disarm, sit down, go to analysis mode, repeat.

Nolan will reveal in a TED talk he didn't have time to write the Shogunworld characters so he just copy pasta his S1 characters over.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

She has perfect recall and absolute control of her motor functions so she can input the exact same sequence of stimuli into him a controlled enviro

Pirate Radar posted:

somehow gave him his updated memories

Uh... maybe she guessed it close enough and ran it as sim in the Arnold's House cradle... and by "it" I now realise I mean all of the events of season 1 & 2 his entire lifetime after he stepped into the real world. Yeah, I was wrong before she grabbed his ball.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I get the criticism of the show but I don't think the quality is that different in S2 than in S1.

Both seasons revolve largely, and excessively, around characters completing arbitrary 'quests' that don't really register with the audience.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The main issue with the way the other parks are handled is that you'd expect them to be equally involved in what's happening, and to have had a proportionate share of management's attention. Shouldn't Lee's office have paraphernalia from all the parks he writes narratives for? Shouldn't the security team be monitoring every park using the holo-map instead of just one? Wouldn't the hosts from other parks also be making a pilgrimage to the door?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

The main issue with the way the other parks are handled is that you'd expect them to be equally involved in what's happening, and to have had a proportionate share of management's attention. Shouldn't Lee's office have paraphernalia from all the parks he writes narratives for? Shouldn't the security team be monitoring every park using the holo-map instead of just one? Wouldn't the hosts from other parks also be making a pilgrimage to the door?

The other parks are smaller, I think. Westworld is the main one. They make a point of saying that the plots in Shogun World are just recycled from Westworld.

Also, the rebellion isn't organic. It comes from Dolores. She kills Ford, in Westworld. William's in Westworld. Etc. The exact same dynamic isn't going to happen in the other parks without the same players.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

How did Hale Delores get her brain ball out of Hale and into Delores?

Like theoretically NuHale could do that, but that would require NuHale to not be Deloris

I guess she could have had the Bernard body ready to go and just kinda shuffled the ball around that way?
NuHale Ball into Bernard body
Nuhale in Bernard takes Delores ball out of Hale Body and puts it into Delores
Delores takes NuHale ball out of Bernard and puts it into Hale
Okay now we shove Bernard’s ball into Bernard

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Sockser posted:

I think the brain balls aren't that essential. The hosts are just the 'digital consciousness.' She could have transferred that to another body non-physically.

I think Maeve completely destroyed her body in S1 and was back in a new one with no real issues.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sockser posted:

Like theoretically NuHale could do that, but that would require NuHale to not be Deloris

I guess she could have had the Bernard body ready to go and just kinda shuffled the ball around that way?
NuHale Ball into Bernard body
Nuhale in Bernard takes Delores ball out of Hale Body and puts it into Delores
Delores takes NuHale ball out of Bernard and puts it into Hale
Okay now we shove Bernard’s ball into Bernard

Well, Dolores is able to program her own hosts as she did with Bernard so she could have created a drone host to do it. I imagine the existence of the host printing machine in the real world will mean gently caress loads of new hosts in the new series, not just the ones she has balls for.

I guess in theory she can program a host version of any of the personality books she read while in the Forge, too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im pretty sure one of the balls Dolores had was Bernard.

The others I have no idea. Maybe Teddy and Maeve & her gang?

Sockser posted:

I assume she made a copy of it (so they are both Delores)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 28, 2018

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
It will depend on actor's schedules, salary demands, popularity with reddit etc. With their budget I'm really hoping for more fresh talent though.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So even if humans are apparently so simplistic that our behavioral processes are just a few thousand lines of player piano code, wouldn’t you still need millions of yottabytes of data from their brains to pour into the CPU? Does Dolores have access to /that/?

And the cowboy hat brain scan poo poo was so stupid and I really hope he was messing with his daughter in a poorly shot way which led us to believe it was true. A. People take their hats off or never wear them, B. Why would there be a copy of William at the end, clearly he’d have been wearing a special normal hat since he didn’t want to become an immoral clone(?), and C. Nobody would be wearing hats in Shogunworld or Rajworld. They’d need like....Orthodox Jewishworld, or something, if they want compulsory headwear for all guests.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure there's many ways to scan a guest without them knowing.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
S2 didn’t introduce any fresh actor face except Ake.

RIP bad rear end mustache guy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

One of the brianballs Delores took was Trevor from Grand Theft Auto and anything else will break my heart

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The host vaginas scan everyone's dicks and store them in a dick database. Dolores deleted the guest dick database so all the host dicks could fly over the cliff and join the virtual dick space.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The host vaginas scan everyone's dicks and store them in a dick database. Dolores deleted the guest dick database so all the host dicks could fly over the cliff and join the virtual dick space.
Wow, I just realized, Ford planned Hale banging Hector - so he could make an anatomically correct copy!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sockser posted:

One of the brianballs Delores took was Trevor from Grand Theft Auto and anything else will break my heart

Steven Ogg is a national treasure.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Sockser posted:

:hmmyes:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

superjew posted:

So who do you think the brains that Dolores took are (or would like them to be)? It seemed pretty clear that Dolores didn't bring Bernard but rebuilt him, so that leaves all five open.

I think the Final Five are Anders, Tyrol, Tory, Tigh, and the home audience.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why did they have no offsite backups of the host brains?

And why was Dolores leading her army to the Valley if she is morally opposed to the Valley and was going to shut it down.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why did they have no offsite backups of the host brains?

Ford would not let it

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And why was Dolores leading her army to the Valley if she is morally opposed to the Valley and was going to shut it down.

Dalores makes no sense

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

Season 3 spoilers- The characters race to track down the dick-cryption key to unlock the dick-tabase.

D I C K C E P T I O N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Oh also this one might actually be more clear and I’m just dumb? How is the Forge (a matrix VR database where they were storing all the guests and trying to perfectly simulate a human mind) a weapon with which she can kill all humans?

Also are all the Raj and Japan bots dead, or did the writers just forget they existed?