Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Is there a training mode I am missing that would just let me bounce the ball back and forth? For whatever reason I am feeling like I cannot grasp the basics at all. Playing online I feel like I have the occasional "He's beginning to believe" moment just to get dominated in a way that things are going too quick for me to even really figure out what I did wrong. Tried playing a few games with the computer jacked up to Pro and Ace and all they do is non-stop Zone Shot on you once you swing the first volley. Maybe I just need to suck up and grind through the early parts of Adventure Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

^burtle posted:

Is there a training mode I am missing that would just let me bounce the ball back and forth? For whatever reason I am feeling like I cannot grasp the basics at all. Playing online I feel like I have the occasional "He's beginning to believe" moment just to get dominated in a way that things are going too quick for me to even really figure out what I did wrong. Tried playing a few games with the computer jacked up to Pro and Ace and all they do is non-stop Zone Shot on you once you swing the first volley. Maybe I just need to suck up and grind through the early parts of Adventure Mode.

The entire first "world" of adventure mode is basically a tutorial, so if you haven't done that then you probably should.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I played up until Donkey Kong and figured between that and the demo, I was ready. Clearly I'm not.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
New patch tomorrow 6/29 that adds in rankings or something based on wins. Probably more to the patch, too, but who knows.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Enderzero posted:

I was watching the #1 US player sunseeds late last night. He had like 177k points. I just went on twitch this morning and he’s at 203k. He’s been playing all night. Good god.

This guy is good. Also apparently doing a 36 hour stream. Pounding red bulls and playing mario tennis, what a life.

He likes to play close net and wins a lot with the drop shot. He rarely does any zone shots, just on serves. He's really good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Welp out of my last 30 matches almost all of them have been either me getting rolled by someone with thousands of points or me rolling someone with zero points

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He likes to play close net and wins a lot with the drop shot. He rarely does any zone shots, just on serves. He's really good.

Playing close to the net once you get into control is a great move. You get great angles on shots and shut down a huge portion of the court. Lob shots just create stars that let you smash it back down the court and stay in control, and you never give up opportunities to do a charged lob. On the rare occasion a shot is outside your influence on the net trick shots let you reposition.

I'm really enjoying the game, but I'm about to go on vacation for 2 weeks and very well may completely forget about it by the time I'm back.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

^burtle posted:

Check out this video by Quizzle on trick shots. https://youtu.be/sAgi95urnNI

Front and back tricks are pretty easy to get the hang of and quite safe. After the first couple of volleys against AI, trick forward and back a few times to build some energy than try to get a star and zone shot them. You can use these tricks to reset your position and get some time. I like to front trick which gets weakly volleyed back and then back trick to reset in the back half. You should have some power then. And you look for stars to start bullying when I back trick I usually hit it as the ball is just before going past me. You just need to gain slightly more power than the AI and you can wear them down. Mix in drops as well as you start to get the hang of getting them a bit out of position.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
i think they fixed the matchmaking because after the patch i just installed im getting consistently matched with people in my score neighbourhood. im at 9k, and my last 4 matches were all 15k+ people. im getting owned

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Just ended up playing online all evening (holy smokes this is a fun game), but I want to take a blind shot, having played only 35 matches and not looking at any posts in the communities online for the game:

Are Waluigi and Bowser Jr. considered the "best"?

They seem *massively* good

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Just ended up playing online all evening (holy smokes this is a fun game), but I want to take a blind shot, having played only 35 matches and not looking at any posts in the communities online for the game:

Are Waluigi and Bowser Jr. considered the "best"?

They seem *massively* good

Yeah Waluigi is good but beatable, Bowser Jr. Is gently caress you I can go cross court on a whim and give you no openings

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

murked by dragon posted:

i think they fixed the matchmaking because after the patch i just installed im getting consistently matched with people in my score neighbourhood. im at 9k, and my last 4 matches were all 15k+ people. im getting owned

This must be the case because I just lost a championship game against a dude and was immediately matched up against him first round.

I lost both in tiebreakers :smith:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dexo posted:

Yeah Waluigi is good but beatable, Bowser Jr. Is gently caress you I can go cross court on a whim and give you no openings

I lost to all of the Bowser Jr's I played except for the ones who were being incredibly predictable and/or didn't know how to trick shot; it was absolutely savage

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

“Version 1.1.1
Changes to Online Tournaments
The “Rating” feature will be added to the game on July 1, 2018. Ratings scores will start at 2,000 and go up after scoring points and go down when losing points in matches. It is a score that shows how strong the player is. (The in-game ranking board will continue to be based on Total Points.)
In cases where there is a disconnection during a match, ratings will go up or down based on the score in that match at that time.
When there is great discrepancy between players in ability, a player’s rating may not go up even if they win.
Changes to missions in Adventure mode
Forest Practice Court: We have adjusted how often the opponent uses Zone Shots.
Forest Edge: We have adjusted how quickly the opponent responds to shots.
Reflection Room: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Royal Chamber: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Other changes
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of settings not aligning with Options settings when starting a match.
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of the game freezing when pressing certain buttons after there is a communication error.
There will be further adjustments to game balance in matches and character performance.”

Sounds like they fixed the host gyro control bug. I’m glad they realize some characters are broken and sounds like that’s being dealt with next. A good update.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well count me among the folks who thought they had a handle on things in the open beta but now cannot win except against children, and not like 7 or 8 years even but probably younger

Like I know when I win matches these days the opponent is going to have 0 ranking points

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm queuing into the final match of an online tournament for the first time! The fourth match was crazy fun. Me (Luigi) v Rosalina. So much back and forth and dramas as we both had a come from behind rally.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

SeANMcBAY posted:

“Version 1.1.1
Changes to Online Tournaments
The “Rating” feature will be added to the game on July 1, 2018. Ratings scores will start at 2,000 and go up after scoring points and go down when losing points in matches. It is a score that shows how strong the player is. (The in-game ranking board will continue to be based on Total Points.)
In cases where there is a disconnection during a match, ratings will go up or down based on the score in that match at that time.
When there is great discrepancy between players in ability, a player’s rating may not go up even if they win.
Changes to missions in Adventure mode
Forest Practice Court: We have adjusted how often the opponent uses Zone Shots.
Forest Edge: We have adjusted how quickly the opponent responds to shots.
Reflection Room: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Royal Chamber: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Other changes
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of settings not aligning with Options settings when starting a match.
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of the game freezing when pressing certain buttons after there is a communication error.
There will be further adjustments to game balance in matches and character performance.”

Sounds like they fixed the host gyro control bug. I’m glad they realize some characters are broken and sounds like that’s being dealt with next. A good update.

But are they going to give us the option to change match length???

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well count me among the folks who thought they had a handle on things in the open beta but now cannot win except against children, and not like 7 or 8 years even but probably younger

Like I know when I win matches these days the opponent is going to have 0 ranking points

When I lose, I tend to get absolutely bodied in a way that I'm sure makes it look to the opponent like I'm a literal child

Some of my losses are frustrating though, because I can't seem to be able to put them away. What's everyone's pro strats for putting someone away after a volley? Or is it perfect play and wait for a mistake?

FWIW I've been playing as Boo because I love him and you can't convince me otherwise! Plus, when serving from the right side with him I get an ace half the time

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I know I'm going to sound like an rear end, but if you're getting Service Aces as a Boo, that means your opponent doesn't know how to deal with a Boo.

Now for something more helpful, if you're having trouble putting someone away and winning the point, try mixing up the shot types you're using. For instance, you can lure them to the net with a drop shot, then launch a lovely over them, or if you've been using slices for most of the volley, use a flat shot to throw them off balance. With Boo, you basically have to be able to predict what their likely response is, and then hit your shot so as to counter it. Yes, your shots have an absurd curve to them, but if you let your opponent dictate the pace of play, that curve means nothing. A defensive character basically means that you lose unless they're really bad, and a well played speedy character just won't care about your curve and will chase the ball down anyways.

My biggest tip, as I said before, is to vary your shot types and to not be predictable.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ZeButler posted:

I know I'm going to sound like an rear end, but if you're getting Service Aces as a Boo, that means your opponent doesn't know how to deal with a Boo.

Now for something more helpful, if you're having trouble putting someone away and winning the point, try mixing up the shot types you're using. For instance, you can lure them to the net with a drop shot, then launch a lovely over them, or if you've been using slices for most of the volley, use a flat shot to throw them off balance. With Boo, you basically have to be able to predict what their likely response is, and then hit your shot so as to counter it. Yes, your shots have an absurd curve to them, but if you let your opponent dictate the pace of play, that curve means nothing. A defensive character basically means that you lose unless they're really bad, and a well played speedy character just won't care about your curve and will chase the ball down anyways.

My biggest tip, as I said before, is to vary your shot types and to not be predictable.

Yep I’ve maybe played like 15 online games so far (all “simple” ) and lost every one until last night when I started winning every game after starting to get into rallies where you force your opponent to start running back and forth. Then after about 10 volleys you angle hard on a left or right drop shot, which sucks them in, then either lob or just hit hard and fast to the opposite corner of where you drop-shotted.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Almost beat a Bowser Jr. last night. Just couldn't close it out on the tiebreaker.

Chain Chomp does -work- against anyone who isn't a defensive character.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm improving slowly but surely. I just need to work on stop getting triggered every time I get blown out by my own mistakes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My most recent embarrassing loss was against someone who was either AFK or slow-rolling me because I got three free points on my serve with no response. Then on the fourth point they showed up, broke my serve, and completely stomped me

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Speaking of playing against Boos what is the guaranteed way to not get ace'd with a serving lob? I tried moving up towards the middle and still kept biffing them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

^burtle posted:

Speaking of playing against Boos what is the guaranteed way to not get ace'd with a serving lob? I tried moving up towards the middle and still kept biffing them.

Run to the net and mash backwards on the trick shot while they're setting up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cons: got housed by the #7 player in the US

Pros: scored two points against the #7 player in the US

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Is there a glitch with boo being able to teleport backwards indefinitely or is that intended?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

murked by dragon posted:

the first two golden sun games were my some of favourite RPGs ever :negative:

I’m so sorry

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just played a Spike player named smash and he used about five normal hits the entire game. He used trick shots drat near exclusively. It was impressive but real loving lame.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just had a great match with someone double my ranking. Lots of even rallies, zone shot battles, pushing and pulling on the court. Feeling good about the game again.

Thinking like this is a fighting game -- are there any good Twitch streamers to watch? Preferably non-racist with a normal speaking voice

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just had a great match with someone double my ranking. Lots of even rallies, zone shot battles, pushing and pulling on the court. Feeling good about the game again.

Thinking like this is a fighting game -- are there any good Twitch streamers to watch? Preferably non-racist with a normal speaking voice

Quizzle is really good but he streams on youtube instead of twitch

c_m0 is also really good at the game and pretty chill and answers questions quickly

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thinking like this is a fighting game -- are there any good Twitch streamers to watch?

Oh yeah, how about...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Preferably non-racist with a normal speaking voice

Oh... no.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
lol so I played with like mario and luigi and peach and poo poo to get used to non broken characters and I only won like 60% today or something and then I played a tournament as bowser jr and won the whole thing without conceding a single point

he's so completely broken

edit: experiencing similar success with waluigi now. getting used to characters with no reach just makes the defensive characters feel unbeatable

also the running up and holding trick stick back on serves thing seems to work like mostly with other characters but almost every time with waluigi and junior to where I'll just do it every time and it feels really unfair

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 30, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Am I the only one who presses buttons really hard when playing this game? I know I don't need to do it but I can't help it.

Something finally clicked with Luigi and I'm enjoying this game a ton more. I'm playing much better and reliably making it into the 3rd+ round. Made it to finals twice and both matches were fun. The first was a close match vs Daisy. The second a Boo was obnoxious in the net. I knew what to do to beat him but he outplayed me. I'm feeling alot better now that I understand what's beating me and how to counter it.

The only thing I don't understand is playing against Rosalina. Every Rosalina pushes me way back into my side of the court and has a full meter by the end of the first rally. I am countering her blue shots with red shots, I'm blocking all her power and zone shots, but no matter what I do most of my returns push me back or spin me.

I really don't understand what I'm doing so wrong against Rosalina.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 30, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's such a satisfying feeling when you figure out how the other player wants to play and then countering them after getting trounced for the first few rallies if a match. Especially so if you go on to win the match without conceding additional points. Holy moly that felt good!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just don't get this game apparently. In the demo, I was decent but now I just get stomped and I just fundamentally don't get the standard play. I can't build meter, I'm always giving stars even when countering shots. I don't get it. It's a little better in simple mode but I just don't think it's clicking with me.

I guess I'll just stick to the fighting games I'm good at. :smith:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Am I the only one who presses buttons really hard when playing this game? I know I don't need to do it but I can't help it.

Something finally clicked with Luigi and I'm enjoying this game a ton more. I'm playing much better and reliably making it into the 3rd+ round. Made it to finals twice and both matches were fun. The first was a close match vs Daisy. The second a Boo was obnoxious in the net. I knew what to do to beat him but he outplayed me. I'm feeling alot better now that I understand what's beating me and how to counter it.

The only thing I don't understand is playing against Rosalina. Every Rosalina pushes me way back into my side of the court and has a full meter by the end of the first rally. I am countering her blue shots with red shots, I'm blocking all her power and zone shots, but no matter what I do most of my returns push me back or spin me.

I really don't understand what I'm doing so wrong against Rosalina.

Rosalina is able to move at normal speed while charging for a shot, so she can start charging for a shot while still far from it. Other characters can’t move or move much slower while charging for a shot. You have to switch up your shots more and make use of more drop/lob shot combos against good Rosalinas.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

santanotreal posted:

Rosalina is able to move at normal speed while charging for a shot, so she can start charging for a shot while still far from it. Other characters can’t move or move much slower while charging for a shot. You have to switch up your shots more and make use of more drop/lob shot combos against good Rosalinas.

Jeez that's a mean ability to play against. Are there any comprehensive guides to characters and/or mechanics? I've tried googling around and most are from games journalism explaining the controls and little more.

There seem to be some decent posts on Reddit for some topics.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

J_Miller is black and British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chaotic Flame posted:

I just don't get this game apparently. In the demo, I was decent but now I just get stomped and I just fundamentally don't get the standard play. I can't build meter, I'm always giving stars even when countering shots. I don't get it. It's a little better in simple mode but I just don't think it's clicking with me.

I guess I'll just stick to the fighting games I'm good at. :smith:

Apparently I just hadn't found my character. Tried Rosalina and my win percentage is at 50% in standard now and I just made it to the finals. I lost but now I'm having exciting rallies, using charge better, and not always being on my back foot.

It gets better goons! :unsmith:

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 30, 2018