Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
as weed is legal in my state in 3 days IDGAF about what some scientist man says, i'm just going to grow my own and do my own poo poo and if i want to call my strain the Turkey Dinner then i'm going to do that goddammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Weed isn't legal in the civilised World. doesn't this thread belong in "the crack head club house", along with all the other dope pushers and cocaine injectees?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
stop harshing my mellow

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

you get that jazz cabbage out of your spoon before you inject a whole HEAP of trouble, my friend.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

Aren't the ingredients for Stout and Pilsner different, and also prepared in different ways? Like one has roasted something or other and one doesn't? That is going to result in wildly different characteristics because you're actually combining ingredients for an end result.
We've also been brewing beer for thousands of years and have pretty set-in-stone classification system for what beer is in what category for very specific reasons.

But with Marijuana you're what, changing the growth medium from dirt to hydroponic sponge, adding extra nitrates, or [proprietary] brand of fertilizer, but ending up with a plant that is 99.999999999% genetically identical to one you pulled out of a ditch. And relying on unnamed scientist man to tell you what percentage of terpenes are in it, how much THC:CBD, etc. Of course you want to believe your supplier is honest and legitimate but if there is a quick profit to be had, why would they be? That classification system isn't really there yet, it'll be a wild west of misinformation while everybody scrambles to make the most profit the fastest with XXxXTremeBake TETRATriChrome technology!!!.

Well yeah they're brewed differently, but your original point was saying a beer tastes crisper or smoother is bullshit, when by your own admission right there you've got 2 different kinds of beers with 2 very different taste profiles. Also the "set in stone classification system" is pretty recent in terms of beer, and the fact that you get beers like "X-style ale" vs just X, or things like india pale lagers, shows how loose those systems are. Anyway, that whole conversation detracts from the simple fact that yes, different beers taste very different from each other.

Also, even my wife who hates IPAs with a passion will admit that 2 IPAs brewed in the exact same style and method, only with 2 different kinds of hops, taste very different. If one strain of hops can taste overwhelmingly of grapefruit and another of pine needles, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that different strains of weed will taste different, too (especially since the 2 plants are in the same family :eng101:)

On the weed side, people have been loving with the grow chemistry of non-weed plants for hundreds of years, and sure a lot of it is bullshit, but things like adding nitrates or whatever have been demonstrated to increase the resulting plant quality.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

Weed isn't legal in the civilised World. doesn't this thread belong in "the crack head club house", along with all the other dope pushers and cocaine injectees?

uhm gbs is not the civilized world either

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Drone_Fragger posted:

you get that jazz cabbage out of your spoon before you inject a whole HEAP of trouble, my friend.

I'm going to drink my weeds out of this old lightbulb and you can't stop me

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gonna pour absinthe over this nug and die in a bathtub gently caress you dad

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity

Earwicker posted:

are you talking about the taste of smoking them or the taste of like chewing a bit or making an extract or what?

i was referring to wine in my post above, with weed im not particularly concerned with the taste of it personally, but i do think ive noticed the differences the most when vaping live resin extracts. smoking it is definitely harder to notice the differences

Vaping mostly, I switched to smoking near the end since I got tired of re-packing the Pax. I was mainly trying to figure out which strains tasted the best for vaping, but I was disappointed in the lack of variation in both flavor and high for a large grouping of strains.

I’m not a wine person so I don’t know much about wine snobbery, but I see it with weed and I’m just as guilty of trying to find differences that are probably bullshit. But it’s a fun plant to smoke and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with assigning a lineage and talking up its effects.

Seriousnote, the weed genome projects are pretty wild. Lots of misnamed strains it seems: https://phylos.bio/galaxy

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Well yeah they're brewed differently, but your original point was saying a beer tastes crisper or smoother is bullshit, when by your own admission right there you've got 2 different kinds of beers with 2 very different taste profiles.

"My original point" was a throwaway line comparing one thing to another which for some reason you've latched on to as an offense.

The point I was making, and that you (perhaps unknowingly) reinforce with several paragraphs of rebuttal to nothing, is that anybody who would get so pedantic about their addiction of choice is just a very tiring person to deal with. (like me)

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 28, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
beer people just cant help themselves

If one strain of hops can taste overwhelmingly of grapefruit and another of pine needles,
like this silliness. the hops absolutely does not taste like any of that. it tastes like hops. your brain is making connections that aren't there, and it is reinforced by marketing. but that doesnt sound familiar at all........

Different strains absolutely DO taste different. But if you think you can taste blueberry in your blueberry haze you're abso-loving-lutely full of poo poo.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 28, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

like this silliness. the hops absolutely does not taste like any of that. it tastes like hops. your brain is making connections that aren't there, and it is reinforced by marketing.

Different strains absolutely DO taste different. But if you think you can taste blueberry in your blueberry haze you're abso-loving-lutely full of poo poo.

just like marketers do, you are also taking a true concept and exaggerating it into absurdity.

yes the brain can make connections that aren't there and if you tell someone to taste X they are more likely to taste X and of course marketers take advantage of this

but, also, just because someone says they taste a difference that you don't taste, it doesn't mean they are bullshitting or have been deceived somehow. they could just as well be telling the truth. taste is very subjective and can also be completely altered by something as simple as what you ate an hour previously

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Earwicker posted:

just like marketers do, you are also taking a true concept and exaggerating it into absurdity.

yes the brain can make connections that aren't there and if you tell someone to taste X they are more likely to taste X and of course marketers take advantage of this

but, also, just because someone says they taste a difference that you don't taste, it doesn't mean they are bullshitting or have been deceived somehow. they could just as well be telling the truth. taste is very subjective and can also be completely altered by something as simple as what you ate an hour previously

The only time I have ever for a second thought that this might be true is that documentary Somm on Netflix. People training their entire lives to get one or two positions at an esteemed winery or something. I assume you're well aware of it, but it's these people being tested by other wine snobs who are TRYING to trip them up, and getting flustered when the students correctly surmise the wine was made with this type of grapes from the northwestern facing side of this exact hill in this block of Italy.

But those fuckers are machines, wine is all they do. Someone who drinks too much and thinks its a hobby? Mayyyyybe, but I'm not buying it.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
"Hmmm this wine tastes like peeling the aluminum seal off a fresh can of tennis balls."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i worked for a wine distro. i was just a shipping clerk, didn't get super deep into the world, but just working there got to learn a lot and drink a lot and every friday my boss would come around and give everyone a glass without saying what it was and everyone would have to guess. by the end of the four years that i worked there i could get the grape varietal right like 80% of the time and the country of origin about half of the time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i mean, there are strains of pot that smell like berries of various sorts. it's pretty on-the-nose (as it were). not exactly like if you were to jam a blueberry up your nose but if someone said 'yeah it smells like berries' and you sniffed it you'd say 'oh yeah, i get that.'

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I had some weed a little while ago that had a hint of a orange sent. there was some bud I had ages ago that tasted like dirt but god I felt so relaxed ive been looking for that strain since and haven't found it.

when I say it tasted like dirt...you ever walk into a field that just got set up for like planting and you take a whiff and all you smell is like the smell of the earth? it had that scent/taste when it was smoked. I still haven't gotten more of it and I got that when I first started smoking some years ago

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i unironically love the smell of fresh tennis balls

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"My original point" was a throwaway line comparing one thing to another which for some reason you've latched on to as an offense.

The point I was making, and that you (perhaps unknowingly) reinforce with several paragraphs of rebuttal to nothing, is that anybody who would get so pedantic about their addiction of choice is just a very tiring person to deal with. (like me)

I'm sorry you made a bad comparison and are trying to shrug it off by moving the goalposts.

beer people just cant help themselves

like this silliness. the hops absolutely does not taste like any of that. it tastes like hops. your brain is making connections that aren't there, and it is reinforced by marketing. but that doesnt sound familiar at all........

Show us on the doll where the marketing department touched you. But please, keep :smuggo:ly telling me what I can and can't taste in the beers I drink.

Also I don't think anyone directly claimed "blueberry haze tastes like blueberry," that's a pretty different claim than "weed strains taste different sometimes"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In conclusion, smoke weed and drink beer and don't let other people tell you what you can/can't taste or do/don't like about it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

alcoholic rambling
you're the one who brought up different types of beer because you felt slighted someone insulted alcohol(ics). My entire point, before your weird tangent, is that marketing will make up horse poo poo the exact same way beer companies do and you went on a defensive multi paragraph rant because of it. Nobody cares about your special beer tongue and your skills are a sign that you need help but your enabling wife will never let you see that.

purple death ray posted:

This thread is like 0% thc with notes of salt and bitterness right now
i think ur skills are legit. plz dont say beer tastes the same tho it agitates the addict

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 28, 2018

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This thread is like 0% thc with notes of salt and bitterness right now

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

you're the one who brought up different types of beer because you felt slighted someone insulted alcohol(ics). My entire point, before your weird tangent, is that marketing will make up horse poo poo the exact same way beer companies do and you went on a defensive multi paragraph rant because of it. Nobody cares about your special beer tongue and your skills are a sign that you need help but your enabling wife will never let you see that.

melting down harder than wax on a nail

e: I appreciate you assuming I'm a Sex Haver though

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

ferroque posted:

Strains are made up by dealers and make no actual difference to the quality or character of your high, hth :thumbsup:

Let's bring it back around to this incredibly uneducated post that started this whole tangent.

How much did big pharma pay you, "ferroque"?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

melting down harder than wax on a nail

e: I appreciate you assuming I'm a Sex Haver though
is that in response to referencing a wife? you mentioned a wife in one of your multi paragraph alcohol rants. i think it was about how she drinks as much as you do so shes just as smart at alcohol tasting(which ur both good at)

"I like different beers" = alcoholic, got it
well you also cant keep details in your posts straight but short term memory probably isnt anything that would be affected by alcoholism. An alcoholic probably also wouldn't go on, I repeat, several multi-paragraph rants about how smart they are about alcohol, that's something a regular normal guy would do. Just ranting about booze and forgetting details they mentioned an hour ago, like all of us lmao

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 28, 2018

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity
Strains are great because names are funny. Jack the Ripper and Harlequin make Pennywise? Bear is Girl Scout Cookies and Ghost? Some are pretty clever, even if there’s nothing behind it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

is that in response to referencing a wife? you mentioned a wife in one of your multi paragraph alcohol rants. i think it was about how she drinks as much as you do so shes just as smart at alcohol tasting(which ur both good at)

"I like different beers" = alcoholic, got it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In conclusion, beer/weed is a land of contrasts

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 28, 2018

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

well you also cant keep details in your posts straight but short term memory probably isnt anything that would be affected by alcoholism. An alcoholic probably also wouldn't go on, I repeat, several multi-paragraph rants about how smart they are about alcohol, that's something a regular normal guy would do. Just ranting about booze and forgetting details they mentioned an hour ago, like all of us lmao

Dude are you really derailing the weed thread because you think only alcoholics can tell that some beers taste different than other beers? Is this seriously what this dumb slap fight is about?

Are you kidding me?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Dude are you really derailing the weed thread because you think only alcoholics can tell that some beers taste different than other beers? Is this seriously what this dumb slap fight is about?

Are you kidding me?

I've been trying really hard lately to not engage in dumb slapfights and I sincerely apologize for making GBS threads up this chill-rear end thread with the preceding page of retarded back-and-forth

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I reread the last couple posts and I had to make sure I hadn't turned into a cartoon fox cause I think I have to be getting trolled

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

purple death ray posted:

Are you kidding me?

My original statement was that categorizing weed as making you "artistic" or "energetic" was as stupid as saying a beer is "crisp" or "smooth" which is a descriptor that changes from person to person.

Retard alcoholic then flew off the handle and tried making the conversation about ales and stouts because someone insulted their happy juice.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I couldn't tell the differences in taste between strains until I bought a vape. Then I picked up an Indica called watermelon and to my pleasant surprise it actually tasted like (candy-flavored) watermelon!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

no bad vibes allowed in the weed thread

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Volumetric Vapist posted:

Have you tried VCDC? It’s Viper City and ACDC, last batch I had had ~1:1.5 ratio of CBD:THC. Tasted amazing, I liked it better than straight ACDC.

My fav 1:1 strain is Canna-Tsu. Cannatonic and Sour Tsunami cross, tends to hit around 9% of each, and has this earthy taste with some really pleasing sour overtones. I found it to be better than Harlequin and a hair above Haleigh’s Hope, the other two 1:1 strains I see around here.

We get a handful of high CBD low THC ones too, ranging from around 2:1 all the way to 20:1 or even 50:1 on some of the extracts.

I have not tried that strain but I'm all about high CBD stuff now. I'll look for it at my dispensaries.

gently caress, only gbs could suck all the fun out of bullshitting about weed on the internet.

I hope you drop all of your pipes and break them and your vape batteries explode in your pocket and all your edibles turn out to be weak poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 29, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

frogge posted:

Not in legal states. That poo poo gets tested and verified for chemical make-up by batch.

You are extremely naive my dogg

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
the state is basically putting almost any chemical in cannabis now

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
one of the most common ones is something that is extremely non-polar, a chemical that is so non-polar that Toluene has trouble solubilizing it. it tends to leave a dark orange-brown residue.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

its me im the guy melting down about alcohol in the weed thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Also different types of highs are completely subjective and anyone who thinks that a strain makes them more "artistic" or whatever is loving stupid.