Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Bunch of goodies for ya

Life drawing

OK seriously tho

Some loosies. A self portrait and a sketch of some boy's face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i fuckin love the footface motif

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
the best thing about deviantart is the incredibly bleak and supernaturally talented groundswell of post-soviet depressives

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Don't forget the job board, just in case you had any spark of will to live.

:suicide:

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Im like two for two on daily sketching! I've been big in the "dread zone" when it comes to art lately, so I decided to draw entirely from my imagination. It was a bit scary drawing without a photo reference to begin with, but then it got liberating, particularly being able to draw from my imagination without feeling like I was loving up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

this broken hill posted:

the best thing about deviantart is the incredibly bleak and supernaturally talented groundswell of post-soviet depressives

No joke.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
At least the guy seems to be offering money instead of the usual artist currency of exposure and future job opportunities.

HAHA, as if, I already know he only wants to pay 5bux per page anyway, right?

Internet Kraken posted:

Why bother doing all this crap

I don't, I was answering for Propitious who wanted to know where to start. I also forgot the real first step which is selling your soul.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

If I wasn't such a lazy bastard I'd probably spend more than two hours on a piece like this to polish it and add detail, but eh, whatever.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1011745207237398528

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Spent the weekend away from drawing and was kind of all over the place on Monday, so I don't have much to post. just some minimal progress on the cyberpunk sketch, the beginnings of a map for a friend and another rough.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Nice work smallmouth. The color and form in that third study is awesome.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Propitious Jerk posted:

Nice work smallmouth. The color and form in that third study is awesome.

Thank you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Planning to color this at some point and maybe make myself a bona fide dork t-shirt :toot:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I'm having a good time drawing with this event.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1011817902134251520
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1011892046720888833
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1012064199323914240

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Mighty fine deconstructions and gestural line-work, I'm a sucker for abstraction in fine art. Good stuff!

Pick posted:

Planning to color this at some point and maybe make myself a bona fide dork t-shirt :toot:

Do it!

Anyways, sketches:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Quick feet studies

This was legit the first time I've sat down and looked at feet ref. I hate drawing legs, and by extension, feet.
I also know it's terrible that I've come this far without putting in the time to learn to draw the lumps so here's to effort.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Propitious Jerk posted:

Mighty fine deconstructions and gestural line-work, I'm a sucker for abstraction in fine art. Good stuff!

Do it!

Anyways, sketches:

Great stuff! Especially the dragon.

Quick figure drawing.

Sorry for the dark / blurry pic.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 28, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Flats are down, will shade and texture probably this weekend.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Davedave24 posted:

dorf beard

Just wanna say I really dig the line work on this. Solid line work + block colour is one of my favourite styles of illustration!

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Al! posted:

i fuckin love the footface motif

Propitious Jerk posted:

Thanks for the nice comments

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

My biggest problem right now is that I can't think of anything that I actually want to draw. And that's because everything that comes to mind is either stuff I've already done a hundred times, or new things that would take more time than I have to try and do. I really wish I could get another solid chunk of my day reserved for drawing so that I could try out more things, but for some reason it just doesn't seem to happen.

Anyway, here's another uninspired chickenscratch just so I have at least something

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1012457008103067649

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I should clarify that even when I do fanart I wouldn't do fanart that I didn't think would be fun to do.

Okay except for the bow. It was hard to do and it looks like poo poo :(

That's what happens when you get too lazy to bring out the perspective tool and just say gently caress it

Can I get a link to your portfolio site? Your stuff is amazing.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

More work based on avant-garde fashion. One day I'll finish this tarot deck, honest. Of course, by the time I get to the end, the beginning will look poo poo in comparison, so I'll just go in circles forever.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Continuing to get more and more weird. Went with an odd Jeremy Corbyn sketch today.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I should clarify that even when I do fanart I wouldn't do fanart that I didn't think would be fun to do.

Okay except for the bow. It was hard to do and it looks like poo poo :(

That's what happens when you get too lazy to bring out the perspective tool and just say gently caress it

Can I get a link to your portfolio site? Your stuff is amazing.

My site is currently undergoing maintenance (I am lazy and have not updated it in a loooong time). I'll try to remember to provide a link once I get it back online.

Regarding your painting, I think the bow looks pretty good so far. It could use some better defined, sharper rendering and a bit of perspective adjustment. Right now it looks like the half of the bow in the foreground is tilting up towards your light source while the bottom half and the section that your character is holding is tilted slightly away or parallel. So it seems like it's twisting.

Overall it's a great piece. The values in your foreground and background are solid, the lighting feels realistic and it has a great color pallet. I'd maybe try softening some of the edges in the clouds, as they compete with your main subject.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Muggy McShotterson, unfortunately I haven't got the name of this dude but what an incredible cranium!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

^
According to this, he's maxed every stat.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ms paint drawing I made today for a thread in GBS

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Muggy McShotterson, unfortunately I haven't got the name of this dude but what an incredible cranium!

I love this. I always enjoy your natural skintones. The way you mix pinks and violets into it really makes it beautiful.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Two hour scenery done on my cruddy laptop.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1013542463611523074

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

d3c0y2 posted:

I love this. I always enjoy your natural skintones. The way you mix pinks and violets into it really makes it beautiful.

Thank you! :blush: I have to admit, I do tend to select reference where I can already see some lovely reds and pinks.

Today however, was not one of these days.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

this is sweet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

work in progress, could use some comment

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Al! posted:

Impressive but also very dark and low contrast. Compositionally, I'm having trouble pulling my eyes away from the blue lights at top.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't know how to critique pixel art at all but I'm super impressed by the city in the background.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Al! posted:

Agreed with AHG's comment about the blue lights holding the eyes. I think something to break up the window frames might improve the image, too - they're a bit too perfect atm, once you notice it it feels a bit weird.

The city looks well good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thanks yall, i'm doing this one a little differently so it doesn't have a subject or all of its light sources yet, when i'm further along it should hopefully help with the contrast and repetition issues

i discovered a new technique to do the city which was to use the center point of a background gradient as the skyline and take a single bright yellow pixel at 10% opacity, zoom in and tap my pen against the pad rapidly. the thing i like about doing pixel art is that i only need to suggest that there's a city there and your eyes pretty much do the rest

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

My laptop heats up like a motherfucker when I listen to music and draw on it, and since I'm also lying in bed while drawing these late night sketches, it feels like I'm being boiled alive while drawing. Man I hate summer.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1013897578071642113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I watched Wall-E again today! So I did a sketch to commemorate how wholesome it is.