Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

marktheando posted:

PS4 mods are limited, but there is one that lets you scrap a bunch of stuff you can’t in vanilla, including hedges. It’s called Scrap that Settlement.

Oooooh think I’ll give that a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s good, you can scrap most of the plants and rubble if you want to go for a clean look. But save before using it, I managed to make a hole to nowhere in Coastal Cottage by scrapping some ground I shouldn’t have.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

marktheando posted:

It’s good, you can scrap most of the plants and rubble if you want to go for a clean look. But save before using it, I managed to make a hole to nowhere in Coastal Cottage by scrapping some ground I shouldn’t have.

I just hate having lovely old buildings where I could have a nice simple bunkhouse.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

marktheando posted:

PS4 mods are limited, but there is one that lets you scrap a bunch of stuff you can’t in vanilla, including hedges. It’s called Scrap that Settlement.

No kidding? Thanks!

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
The lunchbox loot crates from Fallout Shelter are coming to Fallout 76 and supposedly contain cosmetics only. And just like Fallout Shelter, they can be earned in-game or bought with real cash. While a seemingly benign decision, is anyone else worried that their presence with incentivizing them to ensure that free cosmetic mods never see the light of day? Remember all the crap they got when they tried to release their paid cosmetic mods for Fallout 4, especially since they were always worse than their free counterparts. Since Todd's already promised mod support to come, I think that 6 months after launch releasing a mod system that did not allow for cosmetic changes would be a pretty major betrayal. Like if New Coke raped Star Wars BF2 and the child grew up in the foster care of Sean Murray. Sony showed them mods without textures support can be done in Fallout 4, hoping that doesn't give Bethesda marketing any ideas here.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
*squints at bingo board* drat it, i was only a 'slap in the face' away from winning!!!

edit if you are old enough to care about new coke you are way too old to care about this at all.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

*squints at bingo board* drat it, i was only a 'slap in the face' away from winning!!!

edit if you are old enough to care about new coke you are way too old to care about this at all.

Games as a service and the continued repackaging of things that used to be free as money making opportunities sucks real bad though

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
*spits out my diet new coke ii post-star wars bf2 rape* they want me to PAY MONEY to turn my power armor into an anime maid with giant honkers? this is a bridge too far!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yeah I love paying for things that used to be free too I guess

I legit can't fathom where your reaction is coming from, unless you're Todd Howard irl. And if you are, stop ignoring my emails

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh no i think it's dumb too, i just don't think it's as dumb as describing it as

Kalaxus posted:

a pretty major betrayal. Like if New Coke raped Star Wars BF2 and the child grew up in the foster care of Sean Murray.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Their heart is in the right place, the wording is just a bit suspect haha

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bardeh posted:

There's a new gameplay video for 76:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw_rcuuZ3I8

As a package I guess it looks fun overall, but to me, you can't have a multiplayer shooter hinge on Fallout's shooting mechanics because they're just not that good.

That's one of the reasons why I'm really not into this idea. If the multiplayer Fallout was built around the idea of building weird settlements together and, also, sometimes you shoot stuff, I'm all in.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if you can't build Fisto and sodomize your friends whats the point

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

if you can't build Fisto and sodomize your friends whats the point

You won’t be able to do this in 76 so the games already a failure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAgiCGoA4sE

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Had a friend use that mod to clear out Sanctuary and it ruined pathing for all of the core settlers. It’s funny at first, but then becomes quite sad as Preston forces his body through concrete blockades, trying to walk that old road, whistling that jaunty tune...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You won’t be able to do this in 76 so the games already a failure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAgiCGoA4sE

Am I just now realizing that FO3 and New Vegas’s idea of “Fisto” are so different?

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 28, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm playing an unarmed/big guns guy in fo3 right now, and the better fist weapon is plunketts valid points, imo. Unfortunately, big guns have been total poo poo so far. Why did they make the rock-it launcher so fuckin bad? :negative:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Bethesda's writers so bad they don't know what "new" means.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zelder posted:

Yeah I love paying for things that used to be free too I guess

I legit can't fathom where your reaction is coming from, unless you're Todd Howard irl. And if you are, stop ignoring my emails

The only reason they do it is because it's profitable. As long as people keep giving them money for it they'll do it. The second it harms sales they'll stop, which is never.

Call of duty boycott.jpg

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone have some tips for making my junk buildings look a bit more unique than just being big squares with empty interiors?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Make them multi tiered, irregularly shaped, and fill them with poo poo?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I lack imagination

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also think about what the building is for and why it is there and make it fit with the terrain.

Here is a sort of example. This is the Cantina at County Crossing. The tricky part is that I used the bar stand, which is taller than a single level for the junk buildings, so I built the whole building around the bar, which made it not just a square box. I also used one of the random corner pieces at first and threw a couch and a table in it and built out from that. I'm working on filling the top floors with tables and chairs and cleaning up some details, but I generally build things out as I go and add stuff when I have more junk to spam.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 29, 2018

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm trying to finally finish a FO4 playthrough. I'm considering switching to console because I have a tendency to spend more time thinking about modding on PC than actually playing and I'd like to just focus on finishing the drat story for once instead of the best tophats to put on raider bosses.

Are there decent mods for the PS4 version, yet? I know I'm going to get screwed out of my achievements, but oh well. I'm especially interested in mods that tone down survival a bit. I like the idea, but in practice getting horrible diseases every time I go outside is painfully unfun to me.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Beetphyxious posted:

The only reason they do it is because it's profitable. As long as people keep giving them money for it they'll do it. The second it harms sales they'll stop, which is never.

Call of duty boycott.jpg

I'm done boycotting game companies. For every person boycotting a company, there's five 12 years old who gets access to mommy's credit card and spends on crap (or grown rear end men who have no issue wasting their money on poo poo). I honestly think its a fight we can't win.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Devorum posted:

I'm trying to finally finish a FO4 playthrough. I'm considering switching to console because I have a tendency to spend more time thinking about modding on PC than actually playing and I'd like to just focus on finishing the drat story for once instead of the best tophats to put on raider bosses.

Are there decent mods for the PS4 version, yet? I know I'm going to get screwed out of my achievements, but oh well. I'm especially interested in mods that tone down survival a bit. I like the idea, but in practice getting horrible diseases every time I go outside is painfully unfun to me.

Take one point in chemistry so you can make antibiotics and then disease is trivial.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That or spend 15 caps on a doctor visit? Antibiotics are expensive, even if you craft them. poo poo, Commonwealth health care is better than it is now in Boston. The diseases are minor inconveniences rather than truly debilitating and can wait until you track down a doc.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I thought docs only heal radiation and addiction. Don’t recall them doing antibiotics.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you Cure Health, it'll also take care of those sicknesses.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This feels like a really dumb turn for this series in all honesty.

I feel like I'll play it someday but definitely not a day zero or one buy. Maybe not at all.

Why are they even doing this when they can't even manage to make a decent solo rpg

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're doing this because they can't even manage to make a decent solo rpg.

"What if we just released a multiplayer game engine and called the lack of npcs, quests, and writing a feature?"

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Azhais posted:

They're doing this because they can't even manage to make a decent solo rpg.

"What if we just released a multiplayer game engine and called the lack of npcs, quests, and writing a feature?"

reminds me of a certain spaceship game that came out a bit over a decade ago

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You heard it here first, folks.

The developers of the most popular solo RPG franchise (by a huge fuckin' margin too) "don't know how to make a solo RPG"

LoL, fuckin' morons.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

basic hitler posted:

This feels like a really dumb turn for this series in all honesty.

I feel like I'll play it someday but definitely not a day zero or one buy. Maybe not at all.

Why are they even doing this when they can't even manage to make a decent solo rpg
Everything is more fun in multiplayer because you're playing with your friends and can laugh and slap with them. If Bethesda can't make a decent single player game, multi is definitely the way for them to go

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

The developers of the most popular solo RPG franchise (by a huge fuckin' margin too) "don't know how to make a solo RPG"

LoL, fuckin' morons.
If something is popular that means it's good. Basic economics.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 30, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

LoL, fuckin' morons.

Look, if you're gonna find "I hate Bethesda and I hate every minute of the 200 hours I play each one of their games" hyperbole taken to it's most absurd, its gonna be in this thread.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Look, if you're gonna find "I hate Bethesda and I hate every minute of the 200 hours I play each one of their games" hyperbole taken to it's most absurd, its gonna be in this thread.

Thats half the fun of these threads tbh

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

2house2fly posted:

If something is popular that means it's good. Basic economics.

not linearly, but as a general rule yes things that are financially successful are generally good at whatever it is they're supposed to do. the elder scrolls did not become popular and successful by being bad, no matter what you might read on your icewind dale fanforums or whatever the gently caress the people who make this argument actually enjoy.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Its called RPG Codex and/or NMA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They succeed by being these bizarre amalgams of popular game trends and do enough things well enough to sell extremely well. They're the only style of games to get almost everything under one roof. The sum of their (often broken, always buggy) parts reaps huge financial gains, even if there are other games with more specific focuses in mind that blow Bethesda's attempts out if the water.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the handwringing that goes on around any given Bethesda game is absolutely nuts.

they make good games. it's okay. i don't need some weirdo on a dead forum to explain the one weird trick Bethesda use to make 30 million people buy their secretly terrible game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sorry, but fallout 4 is a really loving bad rpg and fanboy defensiveness always rings desperate and hollow to me. If you can't admit Bethesda has been sliding down, vertically in qualityfor the last 20 years that's an admirable delusion but don't pfft and heh a lot me bucko. I can see a garbage fire in the making and Mark it, this will be.