Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hollow Knight chat:

Man, the interconnectedness of the areas is impressive and sneaky sometimes. I found a new, I think late-game area that I couldn’t get to without my most recent unlock but when exploring I found a way in that I could have done literally ten hours before. I almost tried it even but didn’t bother, I should have.

Actually, on that note: I have defeated Hornet a second time and gained entrance to The Abyss. Now this area feels VERY endgamey (and apparently confirms a theory I had about the game, I haven’t explored it much) but I haven’t even gotten to one of the Dreamers let alone defeated them. Am I as close to the end as I think? I’m already at, like 35 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Depending on what other stuff you did, you could either be halfway or most of the way. Don't try and think about it in terms of straight line progression or plot. People have finished the game in 4 hours and I have 50 hours on 1 file with plenty left to do still.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

lelandjs posted:

Hollow Knight chat:

Man, the interconnectedness of the areas is impressive and sneaky sometimes. I found a new, I think late-game area that I couldn’t get to without my most recent unlock but when exploring I found a way in that I could have done literally ten hours before. I almost tried it even but didn’t bother, I should have.

Actually, on that note: I have defeated Hornet a second time and gained entrance to The Abyss. Now this area feels VERY endgamey (and apparently confirms a theory I had about the game, I haven’t explored it much) but I haven’t even gotten to one of the Dreamers let alone defeated them. Am I as close to the end as I think? I’m already at, like 35 hours.

i think you are capable of finishing the game whenever you want now

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ConanThe3rd posted:

So can anyone say if Disgaea 1 complete is going to be using the Disgaea 2 EXP formulas and such (IE: Mages get EXP for actions) and if it has the Cheat Shop because OH BOY do I don't want anything to do with anything that doesn't have those bits of Quality of Life.

I couldn't imagine playing a Disgaea game without 5's QoL improvements. The first game I got in to was 3, where your LoC uber end game grind involved bullshit like duping via the Puppy Paw Stick. I don't know how the grind was *supposed* to go in Disgaea 4, because that game had a bug that let you dupe the last item in your inventory slot and I abused the hell out of that, even making sure to turn off auto-updates so that the fix never got applied (and I had no plans to buy the DLC so I didn't need to update).

5 still has its post-game grind, though you can absolutely cheese Baal if you just want to do that and not do an endless gear/stat grind in Land of Carnage item world runs.

5 on the Switch includes all the DLC, which is basically the main characters of Disgaea 1-4, plus a few secondary characters, and then a couple characters from other games. Some (most?) of the DLC characters are extremely good. I used Metallia and Desco in my main group as I went through the story and Metallia's overload is invaluable for stat-farming in the late post game.

Leal posted:

Get 5. While it wasn't Disgaea 1, I was playing 2 on Steam and after reading up on 5 I dumped my like 15 hour D2 game and bought D5. You know how a lot of people freak out at the term "streamlining"? D5 is a great example of streamlining for the better.

No RNG of items in the shops, its all set. You can't screw up (possibly permanently?) character builds by not reincarnating your characters at the right time (basically at the max level). The item world goes by faster, in D2 the maps could be ludicrously huge. Grinding is easier because enemies in said item world have drastically lower health. Oh and you can't permanently screw up leveling up gear in the item world!

I could go on but it really is the best of the Disgaea series.

I think the item world is infinite levels in D5, too, not just 100 levels like in previous games. At least I'm assuming it's infinite because I've seen people with r41 gear (Traps) that are level 1000+ which I can only assume they reached by cheating, or using capped out sages to quad cast Land Decimator to insta-clear levels.

I will say that the innocent farm levels/breeds innocents far, far too slowly though. A Cryophile I put in at lvl 48 went up to maybe 56 after I'd cleared 100 floors of an item world. At least you can get a 900 Statistician incredibly fast by loading up a bunch of untamed ones on a legendary piece of gum or thimble or w/e and then run the item world on an innocent route using a full Item World squad, giving you an 8x bonus when you subdue said innocents. Then you just smash em together at the farm, load another half dozen or so untamed ones, and repeat as need. I think I went from nothing to a 900 in less than an hour.

For Disgaea newbies: Statisticians boost your XP gain when a character uses the gear it's assigned to, 1% per level of Statistician.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hollow Knight is one of those games that I never want to end...because I can never go back and play it brand new for the first time again.

:negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Hollow Knight chat:
Now this area feels VERY endgamey (and apparently confirms a theory I had about the game, I haven’t explored it much)
I'd love to read this by the way :3: That goes for everyone playing it for the first time now, it's a lot of fun to hear people's theories on the story.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Deepnest really nails the creepy atmosphere. I think it might be my favorite area in the game, aesthetically.

KingSlime posted:

I see the "Disney effect" is still in full force here

Yeah, don't be fooled by the PR speak. All Nintendo cares about are your wallets. Same goes for all companies. They aren't your friends, people.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 28, 2018

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

There's a disgaea 5 demo on the eshop so people on the fence can go try it out. Its gameplay is really a lot better than the first game. The first game had that red moon chapter which was maybe my favorite part in the disgaea series, but you can just watch story points on youtube or something. You don't really play disgaea for the story, imo, so 5's improvements make a huge difference on whether the game is playable and enjoyable.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blade Strangers has a release date; August 28th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfOGtqfWnWE

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Hollow Knight is one of those games that I never want to end...because I can never go back and play it brand new for the first time again.

:negative:

do what I do and experience it vicariously through let's plays and forums posts! :pram:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, don't be fooled by the PR speak. All Nintendo cares about are your wallets. Same goes for all companies. They aren't your friends, people.
Can't deny that nintendo's PR is like way better than the competition's in this regard.

Also they haven't used all the predatory business practises in the book yet

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amppelix posted:

Dude, the port of Lady Layton for the Switch will have different outfits for Layton that you unlock by scanning blindbox cell phone charms.

I don't know if that counts as predatory, but I know i've been slaughtered by it. If those things come out in America I will waste so much money trying to get the full set

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dude, the port of Lady Layton for the Switch will have different outfits for Layton that you unlock by scanning blindbox cell phone charms.

I don't know if that counts as predatory, but I know i've been slaughtered by it. If those things come out in America I will waste so much money trying to get the full set

While the Professor Layton games were published by Nintendo, Lady Layton is published by Level 5 themselves.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Nintendo is my friend.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've always found brand loyalty/romanticism to be completely bizarre. I've worked at multiple massive tech companies, and am currently employed by a company whose fanbase is absolutely rabid for their products.

These entities literally clothe, feed, and house me, and I still think the sense of attachment and loyalty that people ascribe to these conglomerates is pretty drat pathetic! Especially in a time where corps continue to consolidate power and increase their autonomy over governments on a global scale! poo poo is not good y'all.

I know a lot of people literally can't help themselves though, brand loyalty has been shown to trigger the exact same parts of the brain that religion strikes at. Anyways, I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled programming now.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Remember though, they were pretty lovely during the NES and SNES days

Like aggressively lovely

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

KingSlime posted:

Remember though, they were pretty lovely during the NES and SNES days

Like aggressively lovely

I’d like to know more about this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

they tried to sue blockbuster and had nintendo power run 'opinion pieces' calling renting a game equivalent to theft

also in modern times theyve shut down a bunch of retro gaming bars in japan, where the idea was just you show up, get drunk, and play mario kart and stuff. these places weren't making mad money, they were broom-closet sized microbars that could fit maybe four people at a time and were mostly just an excuse for guys to sell their buddies booze and shoot the poo poo with them about video games. nintendo went after them like they were killing the industry.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Endorph posted:

they tried to sue blockbuster and had nintendo power run 'opinion pieces' calling renting a game equivalent to theft

also in modern times theyve shut down a bunch of retro gaming bars in japan, where the idea was just you show up, get drunk, and play mario kart and stuff. these places weren't making mad money, they were broom-closet sized microbars that could fit maybe four people at a time and were mostly just an excuse for guys to sell their buddies booze and shoot the poo poo with them about video games. nintendo went after them like they were killing the industry.

:laffo:

Yeah, sure sounds like a friendly company, alright!

Also, they've implemented lootboxes in one of their games. And said that lootboxes aren't a bad idea, so...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Pretty much, they've also engaged in a lot of monopolistic activities in the 80s, such as forcing retailers to not deviate from MSRP or face "punishment," as well as threatening stores with pulling all inventory from their shelves if retailers dared carry competing products. I want to say eventually they got slapped with rulings against them or something but eh I'm too lazy to do any web research right now

Basically business as usual for mildly aggressive profit seeking entities

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I really enjoyed the little retro bar I visited in Kyoto back in 2009. I'm sad to think that capitalism has killed it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

They had such strict restrictions on third party studios in the NES and SNES era that when Sony became a major player in the console market a ton of publishers were more than happy to move over to the PSX.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Steve Yun posted:

They had a whole licensing scheme during the height of the NESs' popularity wherein they would only allow publishers to put out 5 games a year so as not to cut into first party sales and to negotiate release dates. They also did some scheisty poo poo to maintain high MSRPs and took advantage of a microchip shortage through some market manipulation shenanigans

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

nintendo, the pedantic friend you have come to accept

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Not a Children posted:

They had a whole licensing scheme during the height of the NESs' popularity wherein they would only allow publishers to put out 5 games a year so as not to cut into first party sales and to negotiate release dates. They also did some scheisty poo poo to maintain high MSRPs and took advantage of a microchip shortage through some market manipulation shenanigans

Mama Mia

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

next splatfest: nintendos vs legos

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm still waiting for Ultra Games to release the REAL sequel to Metal Gear

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Not a Children posted:

They had a whole licensing scheme during the height of the NESs' popularity wherein they would only allow publishers to put out 5 games a year so as not to cut into first party sales and to negotiate release dates.

Lots of publishers just made "new" companies and published games under those labels, to get around this stupid idea.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

my friend nintendo would never do these things.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but what I saw of 1's remake it's just them updating the sprites to the one's they've been using from 3 and that's literally it. Same ps1 map textures, literally the same (now outdated) artwork from 1 for stuff like cut ins and even the same voice lines from the PS2 games

Like I kind of gave up on it but if there's nothing really added to the post game you're getting about 4 maps total and that's literally nothing. I heard NIS was circling the drain and while a weird broken part of me likes Disgaea games I just can't justify it

I don't think they've released details about what the remake entails exactly, is the thing. But, IMO, the same artwork and voicelines are fine. Why would you want them to do anything other than redraw the art in HD? And the voices are classic. Now, I THINK they actually recorded the voices sequentially, from the beginning to the end of the script, so you can HEAR the voice actors getting used to the characters over the first couple chapters, but after that it evens out. Original map textures would be lame, but, like, acceptable.

But yeah, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the remake of 1 unless they added extra features/QoL when Disgaea D2 and Disgaea 5 are available. They're much more sensible.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Proper nouns are not adjectives you idiots

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Got Nintendo'd

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

John Lee posted:

I don't think they've released details about what the remake entails exactly, is the thing. But, IMO, the same artwork and voicelines are fine. Why would you want them to do anything other than redraw the art in HD? And the voices are classic. Now, I THINK they actually recorded the voices sequentially, from the beginning to the end of the script, so you can HEAR the voice actors getting used to the characters over the first couple chapters, but after that it evens out. Original map textures would be lame, but, like, acceptable.

But yeah, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the remake of 1 unless they added extra features/QoL when Disgaea D2 and Disgaea 5 are available. They're much more sensible.

The fact that they've been silent on what if anything they'll change about the mechanics is worrying. After playing 5 there's no way in hell I could go back to 1 no matter how pretty it looks.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Nintendo did nothing wrong.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

If the remake has PS2 English Etna...I might consider it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

I'm still waiting for Ultra Games to release the REAL sequel to Metal Gear

Real talk Snake’s Revenge is fun and I hope it’s on NESflix

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KingSlime posted:

I've always found brand loyalty/romanticism to be completely bizarre. I've worked at multiple massive tech companies, and am currently employed by a company whose fanbase is absolutely rabid for their products.

These entities literally clothe, feed, and house me, and I still think the sense of attachment and loyalty that people ascribe to these conglomerates is pretty drat pathetic! Especially in a time where corps continue to consolidate power and increase their autonomy over governments on a global scale! poo poo is not good y'all.

I know a lot of people literally can't help themselves though, brand loyalty has been shown to trigger the exact same parts of the brain that religion strikes at. Anyways, I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled programming now.

On the other hand, if I align with the right corporation, then after the corporations take over the government I might get a position of low-to-medium nobility in the new society.

I pledge my fealty to thee, Mighty Nintendo. May we achieve glory in the coming wars!

*unsheathes JoyCons and starts milking a cow*

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like Nintendo because they make good products that appeal to me. I'll gut Mario when the corporate wars begin, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I like Nintendo because they make fun video games.

• Locked thread