Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Splicer posted:

Was reminded I own this. Is there a mod kind of halfway between vanilla and prepare carefully? I like pressing random but I'd like to be able to exclude stuff I'm going to reroll anyway, like pyro or terrible passion/skill/exclusion combos. I haven't played in ages so maybe vanilla makes better guys now by default I don't know.

You could just use prepare carefully and hit random, then remove offending traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm going away for a few days or I'd participate in this. Feel free to chuck in a lazy, abrasive voiced Pharnakes good at animals & growing if it's still open.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Keeshhound posted:

You could just use prepare carefully and hit random, then remove offending traits.
It's not the saaame :cry:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Time to rock and roll, my friends!

Game starts on world seed 'vladimir', 30%, normal rainfall and temperature. Individual map size is 300x300 cells. Starting storyteller is Randy Some Challenge.

I smashed Random a bunch of times to get a workable starting spot. My criteria were:

- No year-round growing season (unless tropical rainforest)
- No river (without bridges in 1.0 they're intractable)
- Summer temp of at least 20C (eliminates ice sheets and other intractable/unfarmable biomes)
- Not Flat (pain in the neck to get stone otherwise)

It actually took a couple dozen tries to get something that met this criteria, and we eventually came up with this:

So, yikes, caught between two pirate villages, but right near a road system, so that's nice.

You've already met our cast of characters, so let's talk about their preparations:

I don't feel I need to comment too much on this. Goons being goons we brought us some :10bux:, always useful, and our collection of flashy but horrifically impractical weaponry because we are masters of nerdy martial arts that involve multi-pound weapons. And sticks. And then we also crammed in a very appropriate amount of :cheers: and :420:. You're welcome. We are also bringing a Good Doggo because Lowtax trains Good Doggos.

That's our situation. Without further ado: LAUNCH!

Welcome to the world, my friends. You may notice a lot more twisted metal than you'd otherwise expect - that is because our Prepare Carefully addon worked properly. We actually had something like 20 drop pods hit the ground and break apart, it's just that everyone except Lowtax, Jeff, and Crabs poofed as they landed to be added to the world pool.

Here is your savegame: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbp5nvuon3i663r/sa.rws?dl=0

Tell me some stories, my friends!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Time to rock and roll, my friends!

fucken a, thanks for doing this. i look forward to seeing all the helltopias. is there some sort of control we can run also?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

boar guy posted:

fucken a, thanks for doing this. i look forward to seeing all the helltopias. is there some sort of control we can run also?

I'm not sure how we would define a control. The only thing that comes to mind is someone playing the game with no extra mods, which I imagine will be most folks really. If you have an idea of how to define a control game my ears are open! It sounds like a cool idea.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I'm not sure how we would define a control.

someone who's never played before?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Should this be played in Vanilla 1.0 or modless B18?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Aww boo I missed it :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Splicer posted:

Aww boo I missed it :(

if this works out and we have 2-3 people tell a decent story/have fun with it i'm going to launch a more generalized round 2 in GBS. this thread is basically the beta test. so if you want to get in, download the save and have fun with it!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The starting weapon choice is ... interesting. My first raid ended up being my first use ever of the doomsday rocket launcher, and everyone was killed by the blast and huge fire when that idiot Lowtax fired it in relatively close range.

Somebody had to do a first fuckup, eh? :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ahahahahahaha

*banging spoon and fork on table*

POST. THE. SCREEN.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Coolguye posted:

Ahahahahahaha

*banging spoon and fork on table*

POST. THE. SCREEN.

Sadly didn't get it :( I'm not used to this whole let's play thing, but I swear this isn't my last gently caress up :v:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TorakFade posted:

Sadly didn't get it :( I'm not used to this whole let's play thing, but I swear this isn't my last gently caress up :v:

yeah I would like to have seen that

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

12 days in and i wrote 800 words as i played lol

im on track to write 850k words about a rimworld playthrough

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

For those in the thread: Steam allows one-push screen capture. Set up your preferred key in Steam > Settings > In-Game. If you want to take videos, OBS is free, super easy to install, and super easy to use. Just set up a 'Game Input' and identify Rimworld as the window you want. You are then good to go! We can talk about all the other nerdy settings if you want but this is really all you need! Set up a game input, point it at rimworld, and press the 'start recording' button!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
For those wondering, Rimworld puts its saves here on a windows machine

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios

Shirec posted:

Should this be played in Vanilla 1.0 or modless B18?

The save file says it's B18. So if you had opted in to 1.0 like me, opt back out of betas and tell it to load the mods to match the save when you get back to loading.

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 29, 2018

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Into my first Goon game and my first refugee is a nude woman with the staggeringly ugly trait

edit: Oh I'm really going to enjoy writing this up. Randy is being really loving weird with events for me haha

Shirec fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 29, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Stardate #Something: We've found a comfortable rocky alcove to setup shop in.

There's some sort of large forboding structure built into the next hill to the southwest. It might be some sort of... doom house?

I'm sure everything will be fine.

Just fine :kheldragar:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

boar guy posted:

someone who's never played before?

I played this game for about 2 days like... 2 years ago?

How do I set up for this? Do I need mods or anything?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

big fan of jeffk immediately smoking a joint

Saxophone posted:

I played this game for about 2 days like... 2 years ago?

How do I set up for this? Do I need mods or anything?

you shouldn't. i used a few mods to set it up but they have zero effect after you are in the game. just download the save file i linked and paste it to the save file location on your computer - which, as noted by ratzap, is C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Saves.

then you load the game and load the game. it will tell you that the mods don't match and you can click 'load anyway', and everything should work fine.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
This is rather eventful. As the lads were moving things to the chosen camp site I noticed boomalopes. I really hate boom-anythings so Lowtax went off to spray them with minigun fire. The minigun is not terribly accurate or he's a bad shot. Either way it sort of dragged out a bit and as he stood near the flames of the fire the first 2 had created, the last spray of bullets fatally wounded the final Boomalope...

and nicked a boomrat. The boomrat proved a much nastier opponent and our hero was biten/scratched to bits before it too exploded to the bullet hail.

He limped back to the camp site and collapsed onto a sleeping spot. LJC botched treating him and the raging infection threatened to kill him within a day. With heavy heart they decided to amputate Lowtax's arm since it was 90% infection. But LJC hosed that up too and his taxness snuffed it barely 3 days in.

Since then we had a raid (super gran with a pistol) which put 7 holes in Jeff before being dealt with and now a heatwave which will probably leave LJC alone and fervently wishing he hadn't lied about being medically trained.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Minigun literally can't hit what it's aiming at. It's for crowd control.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is going well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is going well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Coolguy posted:

our collection of flashy but horrifically impractical weaponry

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I'm excited to post some screencaps of mine when I get more time to play tomorrow. So far it's been a literal whirlwind (tornadoes) and an honestly insane amount of dogs plus some other fun things.

Ratzap posted:

Boom magic

I always stay far the gently caress away from any of the boom animals. Fuckers are just trouble coming and going

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't be silly, it has a 50% accuracy.

At touch :unsmigghh:

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Splicer posted:

Was reminded I own this. Is there a mod kind of halfway between vanilla and prepare carefully? I like pressing random but I'd like to be able to exclude stuff I'm going to reroll anyway, like pyro or terrible passion/skill/exclusion combos. I haven't played in ages so maybe vanilla makes better guys now by default I don't know.

Wish I'd stopped by sooner to get myself into goonworld. If there's still time give me cooking, construction, lazy, night owl, and some random crap. Mutate my name as desired.

e: throw a teetotal in there for my massive squaritude.

I just switched from prepare carefully to auto randomizer for starting pawns. You set filters for desired minimal skills/passions and to exclude incapacities and it randomizes pawns until it gets one that meets your criteria. You can still wind up with overpowered pawns but as long as you don't get greedy it feels much less cheaty than prepare carefully.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

you will still need the mods

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The minigun is purely designed to be given to a pawn with Trigger-Happy and told to shoot at some arbitrary point in the middle of where you expect raiders to come from and to never stop firing.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
If you guys plan to tell multi post stories, you should start your post with your colony name or something. This is very exciting.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Small update from Unnamed Gooncamp (still too early to get a settlement name):

Our clubhouse, though crude, is secure, we've rummaged through DIY&GWS enough to get some basic agriculture down (Corn, Rice, Potatos, and some cotton for fresh cargo jorts).

Somehow we've lost the :10bux: of silver we started with and I don't kno-Leonard? Where are you going? What... are you doing?

:thunk:

e: right after that, I guess we're named:

"P/C" wasn't valid, unfortunately.

I'm sure a lawyer's frenzied scribbling in the shadow of a glowing monolith bodes nothing but the best.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 29, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Palcontent posted:

I just switched from prepare carefully to auto randomizer for starting pawns. You set filters for desired minimal skills/passions and to exclude incapacities and it randomizes pawns until it gets one that meets your criteria. You can still wind up with overpowered pawns but as long as you don't get greedy it feels much less cheaty than prepare carefully.
:swoon: perfect!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
1.0 supports multiple action queuing. Shift left click to stack subsequent orders.

Was this a thing before now?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It was added in the current (B18) release.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Shirec posted:

Fuckers are just trouble coming and going

That's why I have a strict extermination policy. Whoever survives the map cleansing can then breathe easy and boom free (once they heal).
I really hadn't expected things to go south quite so badly though. That minigun really is terrible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It's worth noting that it is very possible to use it well if you baby it. Treat it like a flamethrower in that you should hide around a corner and fire at the ground such that you'll open up as someone turns a corner - or, in a hunting context, just manually hunt and open up from a few spaces away. It is very impractical though, by design.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lowtax is busy eviscerating the local wildlife with a gas-powered minigun in my game :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I got a boomalope migration two or three days in - I’ll post some screen caps later.

I’ve actually had some pretty decent events to get me going, though almost lost the colony once - again, details to come.