Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Power Khan posted:

I don't know if you ever did the math behind human ancestry, but cousinfucking is a mainstay of it, only up until quite recently. There's quite literally tens of thousands years of that. Lol.

Doesn't mean we find the Hapsburg chin to be a dealmaker, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Doesn't mean we find the Hapsburg chin to be a dealmaker, son.

The Hapsburgs made the classic cousinfucking mistake, which is to only ever gently caress their cousins. Cousinfucking, like drinking, junk food, and drugs, is fine in moderation.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Most royal families have family trees like the olympic rings lmao

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Page 888 by 8 o'clock let's go

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/RichScotford/status/1012253412937719811?s=19

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CIGNX posted:

I hope no one tries to take her head to give immortality to Emperor Xi.

More worried about boner pills.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

peak debt posted:

Uhm among typical cooking oils, peanut oil is the one that is the most suitable for high temperatures.

I wasn't referring to its flavor or its smoke point, I was talking about its effects on the body. Eating oxidized oil is bad and you shouldn't do it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oohhboy posted:

More worried about boner pills.

I lolled

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Let us English posted:

I wasn't referring to its flavor or its smoke point, I was talking about its effects on the body. Eating oxidized oil is bad and you shouldn't do it.

The best thing to fry in is beef tallow. Then lard.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Power Khan posted:

I don't know if you ever did the math behind human ancestry, but cousinfucking is a mainstay of it, only up until quite recently. There's quite literally tens of thousands years of that. Lol.

It's only a problem if you do it too often, like in Iceland. That's why they have stuff like this.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Bajaj posted:

If I have to make any complaint about this time in China, it's the food. gently caress, I feel so exhausted here. I feel like a diabetic on the verge of a low blood sugar crash half the day. This food loving sucks rear end so loving hard. I can't even find any reason to enjoy it this time, after a wealth of worldwide choices for super low prices in Thailand (and even India had like 100X more variety than here). In China, it's all carbs, carbs, carbs, salt, carbs, and the worst kind of oils (peanut oil is good for healthy, LMAO, no wonder they spray diarrhea on every surface over here). On top of that, they put loving sugar in all the carbs (like bread). I've been going out to eat my past favs and I have been so utterly disappointed on all fronts during and after the meal.

Yeah I've been here a really long time and my energy level sucks. It's like some lovely RPG where I only have enough action points to do 1-2 things each day. What should be a short trip to the supermarket takes 90 minutes total and when I get home I'm sweaty, exhausted, and have no desire to go out again for the rest of the day.

Combine that with a random lunch at an Indian place and I can barely make it back home.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1012321218056384513

Foxconn was the place where all those murders suicides happened a few years ago

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ziv Zulander posted:

Foxconn was the place where all those murders suicides happened a few years ago

So like every other company that has employee counts to rival a large metropolitan area.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

OWLS! posted:

So like every other company that has employee counts to rival a large metropolitan area.

Yes except this one got into the news

e: and thank GOD for those anti-suicide nets :911:

Ziv Zulander fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 28, 2018

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
And now I’m wondering if it’s not just cum but pony cum.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
dog and pony cum

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
edit; wrong thread

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
China caps film star pay, citing 'money worship' and fake contracts

Yeah I'm sure money worship comes from celebrities and not just 5,000 years of selfish greed.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

China caps film star pay, citing 'money worship' and fake contracts

Yeah I'm sure money worship comes from celebrities and not just 5,000 years of selfish greed.

Mixed feelings on this

On one hand, it's putting the screws on literal tax evasion by signing two contracts and reporting only one. On the other hand, they're also limiting budgets for actors in total to at most 40% for all of them.

A cushy key grip is going to get a glorious windfall from the increase in pay for technical work, I think.

Aside from the whole "acquiring wealth" by taxing actors, I feel like there's another angle here, like big American actors were signed to something and this rule was specifically designed to gently caress them all over at once.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Mistle posted:

Mixed feelings on this

On one hand, it's putting the screws on literal tax evasion by signing two contracts and reporting only one. On the other hand, they're also limiting budgets for actors in total to at most 40% for all of them.

A cushy key grip is going to get a glorious windfall from the increase in pay for technical work, I think.

Aside from the whole "acquiring wealth" by taxing actors, I feel like there's another angle here, like big American actors were signed to something and this rule was specifically designed to gently caress them all over at once.
LOL imagine the cluster gently caress that would create. Would they lose access to big American actors for their lovely movies, or would American actors get screwed because the studios they have contracts with are all owned by Chinese corporations?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Money worship is why filmmakers put lovely pandering to china in their movies in the first place though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

They just wanna share their art with the biggest population in the world!!

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxDCfhahiPg

:stonk:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Looks like they achieved one of those 2020 goals.

lol random screen shot of "White pig found wife in 16 years".

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
tldr

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Lol that guy also saw TokyoSam, the most awful garbage of Japan vloggers, and said ah man I want to be associated with this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUhhMBiFIvU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In other countries where they would have been harmless keyboard warriors that get shunned by society to gently caress off. In China they publicly make and follow through with death threats not only without resistance but are encouraged. It's next level racism/xenophobia/nationalism. They had to take security precautions as one guy tried to hunt down his wife.

You have a lot of stories in this thread about annoy af small stuff and Face crap that doesn't get fixed but that applies to the big stuff as well. So if a poster here got threaten while in China the authorities would do gently caress all until well after the attack. Even then they would cover up why it happened which would enable the next attack.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
He demonstrates a cool understanding of the current situation in America when he says that white supremacists aren't really a threat to anyone

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a polar cultural response. In China the response at most is meh, not my problem while in the US it spawned punching nazi movement. He wasn't only talking about just the US, you will find pretty much any country not China would have the some kind society wide rejection response resulting in some accountable push back.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbMb38lqlNs

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

almost lucky

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

oohhboy posted:

There is a polar cultural response. In China the response at most is meh, not my problem

That or "He deserves to die for saying a negative thing about China".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

fish and chips and dip posted:

That or "He deserves to die for saying a negative thing about China".

This is the thing that people don't really get unless they have been to China or have spend time around Chinese guys from the mainland. There is almost no middle ground with them when you say something that they might take as a slight against China. It's either, "gently caress yes! China is dogshit!" or "I hope you are killed and your wife and mother and children are raped to death for saying that Chinese public washrooms are not the best in the world!" If someone says something bad about Canada that is in fact true, then I will gladly agree. If they say something that is sort of a half-truth, I might explain it to them, but not push it. If they say something that is totally false, then I will probably just avoid it and maybe not see them again if they have to always bring up something negative.

The funniest thing is that the instances where Chinese guys have either jumped on the China-bashing wagon, or wished for my death for slighting their country were all usually questions that they dragged out of me, and I would answer half-honestly with a little bit of sugar-coating so as to not "start something", but they would just blow up anyway.

The only cool guys that I met and considered ok to hang out with where English vampires, but their routines got sort of boring fast.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There’s this magical phrase to diffuse the situation

愛國不是愛黨 - loving the country is not loving the party

And I just made this one one up

國家不是民族 - the country is not the same as the race

Hopefully people can snap out of the loop

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
One guy got super insulted after I said something like "Korea has less usable (or livable?) land than Japan due to the smaller size and all the mountains" the guy took it to mean that I wanted Korea to invade China so they could secure more land for their people.

Another guy was complaining how English language is racist against Chinese because the word "dumpling" apparently comes from "dump" which means excrement, and thus everything Chinese is poo poo. I told him it comes from "lump" and has been used to refer to a wide range of western foods. He then countered that English is still racist since demonyms ending in "-ese" like "Chinese" are inferior to "-ish" and "-ian" at which point I rolled my eyes and walked away.

I had many more of these "Everyone is always bad to poor China/Chinese" conversations most of which I've forgotten by now.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I wonder if there is going to be an audio component to the CCP surveillance system that they are currently testing? So for example, they have positively identified you via the RFID chip in your various cards, and the facial recognition software, then they can focus in on you with a directional mic and start recording if various key words are spoken. It seems like something Xi would do if he wanted complete control over the populace. You mention democracy, or oppression and "boom" a -5 hit to your social standing score!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well foreigner 老外

is pretty racist and general too.

Some people are just hopeless and bundling everything as racism is just as bad as not recognizing inherent biases and systematic discrimination.

So how do you guys meet these types of crazy people?

Closest thing I can relate to is my friend who goes absolutely nuts about THAAD and American military involvement in Asian pacific region.

Smart girl when it comes to water hydraulic engineering and all. But goes bonkers, when I try to redirect about cost of living and effects of current government policy

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I would also like 日本国民 to be used as an alternative to 日本人. Maybe once they allow dual citizenship for adults... lol...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

place holder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

double post

• Locked thread