Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Friends of mine have a chicken that absolutely loves to be picked up and cuddled. I have no idea how they got so lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I just grab my idiot chickens and flip them til they calm down, then sit and give them fruit or whatever that they like while Forced Cuddling takes place. Eventually they all swarm me and I have to poke them aside to get at the water/food/whatever I'm trying to get at.

I also teach them to leave me the gently caress alone when I'm bent over getting eggs out of their nests because having one stupid rear end cock launch itself at my face is plenty for my lifetime.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

my cat is norris posted:

I have lots of friends coming into town next week for my wedding and I might force them to assist me in constructing a better quail pen with a little more room for the sweet lumps. Any suggested additions? Dust bath, space for loose grass so they can burrow better... anything else?

A little cemetery perhaps?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

peparoni and chease

Discovered today that Betholomew is a rooster by watching him try and fail to copulate with the other rooster. So much for Quailidan's paradise! Bethy is NOT crowing yet, but I'm hoping for a dueling banjos scenario to play out in coming weeks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my cat is norris posted:

peparoni and chease

Discovered today that Betholomew is a rooster by watching him try and fail to copulate with the other rooster. So much for Quailidan's paradise! Bethy is NOT crowing yet, but I'm hoping for a dueling banjos scenario to play out in coming weeks.

Rooster gay so what.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's so funny when I find a caterpillar or slug for the chicks, whoever gets it starts running around like crazy but the others haven't quite figured out what that means yet so they just stand there while the one chick runs back and forth.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mozi posted:

It's so funny when I find a caterpillar or slug for the chicks, whoever gets it starts running around like crazy but the others haven't quite figured out what that means yet so they just stand there while the one chick runs back and forth.

:3:

One of the things I love about the chickens is how, if a chicken finds something good, she'll call the others over to share, but if she finds something really good, she'll just pick it up and leg it without even checking to see if anyone else has even noticed it.

And of course if you give them enough for everyone, they'll all get completely fixated on the first one to get picked up and ignore the rest.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Close ups! You can still see how much smaller the yellow one is than the others, but they're all doing well now. Going to be their first night outside tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e87rPOJjniI

If there is one thing I know I would have done differently, it's to use the nipple waterer from the start. They learned how to use this one no problem and it would have eliminated about 80% of the work up till now, namely emptying pine shavings out of the water.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mozi posted:

namely emptying pine shavings out of the water.

This is my personal trigger

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i was at my desk and felt like i was being watched, turned around and

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love them.

My blorbs have figured out how to smush their little bodies down into the straw and make shallow nests. It's the cutest thing I CAN'T STAND HOW CUTE THEY ARE.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Every single goddamn night all my chickens are sleeping on the stairs to my front door. Every single night I have to pick up five (5! 3 left arm, 2 right arm) Hens at once on my arms, transport them to their coop, manually insert them one by one onto their perch, before I can rest.

I must find bricks to raise their coop.

On the plus side though, I get to pat all my hens before bed, much to their disgruntled displeasure.

Consider me somewhere between :3: and :argh:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

McGiggins posted:

Every single goddamn night all my chickens are sleeping on the stairs to my front door. Every single night I have to pick up five (5! 3 left arm, 2 right arm) Hens at once on my arms, transport them to their coop, manually insert them one by one onto their perch, before I can rest.

I must find bricks to raise their coop.

On the plus side though, I get to pat all my hens before bed, much to their disgruntled displeasure.

Consider me somewhere between :3: and :argh:

kick them off the porch, pour some feed in the coop, keep them in there a few days. they'll learn.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I caught Goofus trying to hump Betholomew. I think I have a third rooster... :sigh:

They're so sneaky.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'm moving into a condo on the outskirts of Portland and in poor health....

But JESUS getting some little cartoon feather blobs would be amazing.

avshalemon posted:

i was at my desk and felt like i was being watched, turned around and

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Captain Log posted:

I'm moving into a condo on the outskirts of Portland and in poor health....

But JESUS getting some little cartoon feather blobs would be amazing.
do you have a balcony? it'd take a bit of work to keep the smell down (when i move back to an apartment in about a year i plan to use a system of potted plants for recycling the poo) but it would be do-able to keep some buttons or even a few japanese quail on a balcony. my buttons are in a guinea pig cage on a stand and that's more than enough room for them, i drilled some holes in the bottom for drainage and put some ferns in there and with a daily refresh of their soil and leaf litter (which you could easily make yourself, just put some dirt and leaves in a bucket and let them decompose) they don't smell at all

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

my cat is norris posted:

I caught Goofus trying to hump Betholomew. I think I have a third rooster... :sigh:

They're so sneaky.

Amazing

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

avshalemon posted:

do you have a balcony? it'd take a bit of work to keep the smell down (when i move back to an apartment in about a year i plan to use a system of potted plants for recycling the poo) but it would be do-able to keep some buttons or even a few japanese quail on a balcony. my buttons are in a guinea pig cage on a stand and that's more than enough room for them, i drilled some holes in the bottom for drainage and put some ferns in there and with a daily refresh of their soil and leaf litter (which you could easily make yourself, just put some dirt and leaves in a bucket and let them decompose) they don't smell at all

Single level retirement community condo that I was allowed to purchase a home in due to being ill. I'll live there for a few months before I make any decisions.

There will be plenty of people with plenty of opinions about back yards and the like, but maybe they'll be happy pet fans. :3:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

every time i think they can't possibly get any rounder

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa how can anything be so round :kimchi:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
drat that's a nice bird you might say

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

it never occurred to me that quail have colour vision, but today i went out to interact with the units wearing a bright yellow jumper and they freaked the gently caress out! they even flew away from me, which these two never do unless they're seriously panicked. when i changed to a dark blue top, they immediately recognised me and returned to their usual friendly inquisitive selves. i just googled it and apparently yes, they not only have full colour vision, but they can also see ultraviolet. so they may be limited in almost every way, but at least there's one thing they can do well.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yup, birds are often tetrachromatic which means that they see exponentially more colors than humans do, sometimes into the ultraviolet or infrared. Normal human vision is trichromatic which is why monitors use Red/Blue/Green - with those three colors you can reproduce just about everything the eye can see. Colorblind people have an issue with at least one of the three types of color receptors (called cones) which is why it’s often something like red/green color blindness.

Other fun facts: the genes for cones are on the X chromosome, which is why men are significantly more likely to be colorblind since they only get one copy. There’s speculation that some women could theoretically be tetrachromatic if one of their sets of genes aren’t deactivated. Some ladies might be able to see as well as birds! :eng101:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

the question remains why they're terrified of yellow, but only they can answer that

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

to recap

actual live goshawk right there in the cage decapitating their friends and family: no big deal

yellow sweater: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

quail!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

Yup, birds are often tetrachromatic which means that they see exponentially more colors than humans do, sometimes into the ultraviolet or infrared. Normal human vision is trichromatic which is why monitors use Red/Blue/Green - with those three colors you can reproduce just about everything the eye can see. Colorblind people have an issue with at least one of the three types of color receptors (called cones) which is why it’s often something like red/green color blindness.

Other fun facts: the genes for cones are on the X chromosome, which is why men are significantly more likely to be colorblind since they only get one copy. There’s speculation that some women could theoretically be tetrachromatic if one of their sets of genes aren’t deactivated. Some ladies might be able to see as well as birds! :eng101:

Non-bird but related fact: all mammals except primates have two-color vision. A mutation in the genes for our cones caused primates to develop three-color vision which is unique among mammals.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I want to have mantis shrimp eyes implanted in place of my own. 12 cones bitches!

They can see things we cannot even conceive of.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'm a firm believer that birds qualify as autistic and OCD riddled, and I think seeing in "Blacklight vision" helps.

Every moment in bird land is like an intense acid trip!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Fwiw my chickens don't like my high-vis bicycle jacket.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's like as hot as it's ever gotten in Pittsburgh and the quails are coping by making tiny piles together. Idk if that's going to actually make you feel any cooler, dummies.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hey gang, I'm planning to get some young lady chickens from my neighbor in about a month. They have a shitload of chickens, probably more than a hundred in three different coop setups, and have had them for decades so are very knowledgeable. I thought that predators would be the biggest concern, but they said it's not really a problem as long as you lock them up in the coop at night. They recommended one of those wheeled coops that you can move around the lawn because "chickens poop so much."

Are there any particular designs or features you guys recommend? I am planning to have maybe 3-4 hens and have a huge yard, plus tools available for most any construction.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I’ve heard them called chicken tractors, and yeah they poop a bunch and will destroy every living thing they can reach if their space is limited.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

:ssh:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Like the tiniest version of Jurassic Park.

"Clever girl."

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

it's so cute, quail roosters go "wookle wookle wookle" when they find a morsel for their hens (like chook roosters go plook-plook-plook) but felafel just starts wookling the moment he sees me because i am Food

that was the only way i found them, they were very well-hidden

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Holy poo poo I just looked it up and the largest king/button quails are the size of a very very small lovebird

I knew they were small but HOLY poo poo they are SO SMALL

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Those blades of grass and clover leaves really put the size into perspective.

spookygonk posted:

Like the tiniest version of Jurassic Park.

"Clever girl."

You really need to buy a bunch of Jurassic Park playsets and toys and let them run amok among them. Little quail stomping around tiny jeeps :kimchi:

Knowing quail they’ll somehow manage to exterminate themselves though

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 3, 2018

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

that's my coturnix hen, she's about 1/3 the size of the average chicken

the button quails are about 1/3 the size of her

they are outrageously tiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

btw here are the devils who took chickpea and gnocchi (i've forgiven them already)

even they are round