Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
On a first-time 160 stamina setup I tend to go with Spriggan's (can be purchased or farmed) and Hundings. Kra'gh can then be easily gotten from Fungal Grotto I to use as your first monster set. All together it gives you solid penetration, crit and weapon damage to get you rolling while you farm for other sets.

I used to go NMG over Hundings but it's recent nerf basically made it a soloing only set (and that's only if your class lacks a source of Major Fracture).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

trem posted:

A) Would that same gear work for a stamdk?
Sure! Hunding's/NMG works for all stamina DPS classes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I'd roll hundings/NMG for any stam char to start, it will give you a decent baseline to go off of and can be crafted so easily obtainable, you might want to slot some health enchants if you are having issues in dungeons though, or roll 2 pieces of heavy armor (chest/shoulder) like someone else suggested (if you do this, then get the heavy armor passives). Sorcs can generally get a pass on this, though for vet trials (do people even let stamdps classes in vet trials?) you might need more HP etc.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

trem posted:

2 questions:

A) Would that same gear work for a stamdk?
2) Could I get in on that?

Currently CP130, should be 160 within the next week or so.

Yes.
Yes.

Basically, stam dps is all kinda the same, mag dps is all kinda the same. There's some crazy endgame endgame poo poo that is different (wgt different sets), but don't worry about that. It's all crit and weapon/spell damage, and stacking your stat, always go all in or either mag or stam.

trem
Sep 17, 2009
Word. Thanks everyone. :gaz:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Beefeater posted:

The amount of individual penetration you should stack is directly related to the content you run and your overall skill level. Pugging vs running in an organized dungeon or trial group affects it, along with how proficient you are at your rotation and such. In an imperfect group or skill scenario, penetration makes a huge difference in DPS. The overall rule of thumb is basically: pugging = stack more penetration, organized group = stack less penetration.

The penetration cap on vet dungeon and trial bosses is 18200. While getting right to the cap isn't absolutely necessary if all you're doing is pugging dungeons and the like, you still want an ample amount to get you in the ballpark since you're unlikely to get much (if any) additional penetration from your groupmates. In a trials scenario you definitely want to be very near or at the cap, but getting there is more of a group effort (having a Templar running PotL, the tank running Torug's and Alkosh, etc).

That said, when figuring out your penetration you need to account for those additional sources in a group scenario. For example:

* On my stamina Nightblade I'm currently running the Lover stone since I'm not using any gear that adds penetration. All of my armor is of the Divines trait, increasing the amount of penetration the mundus stone is giving. I also sunk some CP into piercing to shore it up, putting my "all the time" penetration at 7062.
* Surprise Attack provides Major Fracture, thus boosting it by 5280, putting the total at 12342. (Even if you don't have a source of Major Fracture you can pretty much always count on having it since nearly every tank runs Pierce Armor as their taunt)

This setup is fine for any pugging I do. I anticipate in any pug dungeon groups I'm in that I won't be getting any additional penetration from my groupmates. However, I also regularly run with a tank who equips Alkosh (3010), Torug's Pact and Crusher enchantments on his weapons (2741). This puts my overall penetration at 18093 when I'm grouped up with him.

It really depends on your build (stamina/magicka, class, etc) and whether you're doing PvE or PvP primarily.

Oof, so the 2000-ish I've been aiming for all this time is probably not cutting it then. Thanks for the very detailed answer.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
If you plan to tackle anything beyond normal dungeons you'll definitely want it to be higher. Magicka characters get a nice penetration boost just from light armor passives, but stamina (medium armor) don't. So if you're stamina either run the Lover or a penetration set (or potentially both if you're lower CP and/or pugging a lot).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So after playing much of last night after having not played for close to a year, I totally forgot how to effectively play nightblade. I had both a stamina and magicka nightblade, the latter being what I used to play most often, around level 30 and I don’t remember the rotations at all.

One reason I wanted to come back was to try Morrowind so I rolled a Warden (I left the game before wardens were out), which I also wanted to try out. When I was reading various threads about nightblades and other classes, trying to remember things about the game, I noticed that wardens were hardly ever mentioned. After specifically googling them it seems that people’s opinions of them range from “totally useless, weak pve character” to “strong jack of all trades”.

So I thought to ask you guys before putting time into the character - how is a warden, specifically a stamina warden at pve? I might do pvp but I mai my game back to the game to see the story stuff I missed. With the magblade I was getting stomped my multiple enemies at my level (probably doesn’t help that my gear was under leveled), and probably user error but how does the warden fare with multiple enemy encounters?

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
After some loving around I've managed to get some solid DPS numbers out of my stamina warden, but I admit that success came after I double slotted the bear as my ultimate. They are indeed a strong jack-of-all-trades, they have tremendous burst damage, and they get easy access to some important buffs. The trade off for that seems to be slightly lower sustained DPS (unless you spec a very certain way, which allows them to keep pace better).

From my experience thus far, anyway.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Giving stamsorc a chance.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Warden DPS will never be top tier; will in fact probably always be near the bottom if all things are equal, but they do offer a tremendous amount of team buffs and support options (they can function as excellent off-healers or emergency tanks, even when stamDPS specced), and can solo like champs.

Given those factors, nerfing subterranean assault was absolutely inexcusable. Was it driven by PVP concerns, does anyone know?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

JackBadass posted:

Giving stamsorc a chance.

You have made the most correct stam choice, the only issue is that starting sucks, but they REALLY shine when you get crit surge, at rank 30 of storm calling.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I've been enjoying the game but not sure my stam DK is the class for me. It's hard to see much variation in them though when watching streams or vids, all the magicka classes just hold staves and I see groups with like 80% of the people with a staff, and that's no fun. Maybe stamDK doesn't feel great because i am dual wielding though, only level 15 so maybe i will try out some other weapons. I guess with warden or stamsorc i'd have a bro along with me, and for a first class it is probably best to go with a good solo'er.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

I've been enjoying the game but not sure my stam DK is the class for me. It's hard to see much variation in them though when watching streams or vids, all the magicka classes just hold staves and I see groups with like 80% of the people with a staff, and that's no fun. Maybe stamDK doesn't feel great because i am dual wielding though, only level 15 so maybe i will try out some other weapons. I guess with warden or stamsorc i'd have a bro along with me, and for a first class it is probably best to go with a good solo'er.

stamsorc is probably one of the best solo (stam) classes in the game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Stamsorc doesn't use the pets if that's what you mean by having a bro, and you'll probably still want to be using dual wield. I eventually got bored with mine and respeced, but it is by far the best build for soloing group content out of anything I've played so far.

There's actually a decent amount of variation in staff builds depending on your combination of fire/lightning/restoration staff and your class's skills. Enough that I haven't gotten sick of magicka DPS builds yet, anyway.

I've been working on a DPS mag warden this past week because I have some sort of unhealthy attraction to underdog builds, and I'm actually enjoying it a lot so far. Still would really not recommend it as anyone's first magicka DPS build, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 28, 2018

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Stamsorc is a bit weird when leveling too since it changes dramatically over time since most of your best abilities require higher levels / stamina morphs.

Your first 30-40 levels you get to hang out with a clannfear and cast spells, then you get crit surge and bound armaments and never see your pets again.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Eltoasto posted:

You 100% want to go two-hander with StamDK, for the execute and filler attack (dual wield is boring AF without a good class filler attack).

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I was so happy to finally get a decent spammable attack for my dual wield stamDK with the Psijic skill line. :D

rio
Mar 20, 2008

For soloing then, would stamsorc and warden be about the same in terms of survivability? Also, another question I forgot to ask is if any magicka classes have good soloing survivability. I remember back when I knew how to play it that my magblade did well with that but I’ve never been good at coming back to characters after leaving a game for an extended period of time and am not sure if I will be able to start playing that class well again. Lastly something without really long rotations would be nice - I am probably going to be playing a lot with a controller since I am spoiled now from playing a year’s worth of games on the couch with cats on my lap vs. my uncomfortable chair.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

rio posted:

For soloing then, would stamsorc and warden be about the same in terms of survivability? Also, another question I forgot to ask is if any magicka classes have good soloing survivability. I remember back when I knew how to play it that my magblade did well with that but I’ve never been good at coming back to characters after leaving a game for an extended period of time and am not sure if I will be able to start playing that class well again. Lastly something without really long rotations would be nice - I am probably going to be playing a lot with a controller since I am spoiled now from playing a year’s worth of games on the couch with cats on my lap vs. my uncomfortable chair.

Every magicka class has great solo survivability (except maybe Mag Wardens). Mag Sorcs are probably the best at it, but Mag Templar, Mag DK, Mag NB are all great (though I have no personal experience with Mag NB).

Stam Sorcs are a stronger overall class than Warden, but yeah, about the same survivability. Warden has the benefit of being 1000000000x more fun.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The key to survivability with any mag DPS character is to have a damage shield and some sort of heal on your back bar. Harness Magicka (morph of Annulment from Light Armor skill tree) and your restoration staff skill of choice (I like Combat Prayer and/or one of the Regeneration morphs) will work for anyone, though every class has some other option that'll let you get away with not using resto staff, if you want. With magsorc I use Conjured Ward and Dark Conversion.

rio posted:

something without really long rotations would be nice - I am probably going to be playing a lot with a controller

On an XBox controller, do yourself a favor and remap bar swap to B, Ability 3 to left d-pad and stick your least-used skill (magelight, expert hunter or whatever) there. It is much easier to deal with rotations and maneuvering while performing them if you do this.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 29, 2018

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Last page but what effect does penetration have in pvp, if any? Also I sure would appreciate some suggestions on good cp160 pvp sets for a stamplar. I think Shacklebreaker was mentioned?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

Last page but what effect does penetration have in pvp, if any? Also I sure would appreciate some suggestions on good cp160 pvp sets for a stamplar. I think Shacklebreaker was mentioned?

Think it was said already but spriggans is a great stam set at cp160. You can get a full lie set for like 10k or full purple for fairly cheap.

Second set I'm not as sure. I know hundings is good if someone can make it for you. I'm running leviathans from the crypt of hearts dungeon personally as my second set

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
There's a lot of "optimal" sets for every build, but whatever. Roll (cough) with Mad Tinkerer or go home.

In more important news, I just discovered that the writ bought Dye Station (25 writs) has the same functionality as the Outfit Station (500 writs), and now I'm never going to have gold to spend again.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 29, 2018

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

somethingawful bf posted:

Sometimes, when two adults love each other very much,

I am always so amused when I remember that the "lover" mundus stone gives you a penetration buff.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Coldforge posted:

Roll (cough) with Mad Tinkerer or go home.

For anyone who doesn't know, this armor set makes you automatically summon a mechanical Clannfear who mows down your enemies and then falls over dead, repeatedly, in every combat. :allears:

That plus Daedric Curse explosions going off and the Ilambris set triggering from fire and lightning (I use a lightning staff with flame enchantment) means every battle with my magsorc is a glorious, glorious clusterfuck.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Coldforge posted:

In more important news, I just discovered that the writ bought Dye Station (25 writs) has the same functionality as the Outfit Station (500 writs), and now I'm never going to have gold to spend again.

That's got to be an oversight right?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

outfit stations are just converted dye stations so you're really just paying a premium for the new station model

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It's not a mistake... Zenimax openly announced before the outfit system came out that all dye stations would convert to outfit stations, including the decorations. They are absolutely charging an insane inflated price just for the different skin. Kind of a weird choice.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Speaking of writs, can anyone explain master writs to me? As far as I can tell they just come up as a random prize when you're maxed in some crafting line. Eg, I'm maxed in woodworking, metal and clothing so when I do a normal writ there's a chance I'll get a master writ in one of those as a reward? Is that right?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Yes. And don't open the Master writ unless you can/will craft the item, as they are always a specific item, specific trait, specific quality, specific set.

If you get a Bonkers one you can't craft, you can sell the unopened writ to a rich person.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Re: levelling sets - would something like Sload's be good for AoE heavy specs, such as MagDK or StamSorc?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Farming a set while leveling is not a leveling set.

Just have us make you a pile of stuff with training trait on it. A full crafted set lasts you a full 10 levels before you even start to notice.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Aramek posted:

Yes. And don't open the Master writ unless you can/will craft the item, as they are always a specific item, specific trait, specific quality, specific set.

If you get a Bonkers one you can't craft, you can sell the unopened writ to a rich person.
Is there accurate information about the factors that increase the dropchance for master writs? A lot of guides I found basically said "research, learn recipes. do achievements" and the chance should be higher.

But which recipes? Which achievements?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Aramek posted:

Farming a set while leveling is not a leveling set.

Just have us make you a pile of stuff with training trait on it. A full crafted set lasts you a full 10 levels before you even start to notice.

Sload's is a crafted set :v:

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Scyantific posted:

I trolled an AD scroll push again last night.

This is fantastic :allears:

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Nektu posted:

Is there accurate information about the factors that increase the dropchance for master writs? A lot of guides I found basically said "research, learn recipes. do achievements" and the chance should be higher.

But which recipes? Which achievements?

I recall them saying the RNG to get one for crafting gear increases with how many traits and motifs (in full) that you know. I'm not sure what affects the consumable writ chance though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Quick heads up: If you are a Stamina Sorcerer or Templar then consider running a full set of Night Mother's Gaze. Summerset patch changed the 5th piece bonus to inflict Major Fracture which is usually a debuff that tanks provide in group content that stamsorcs and stamplars both lack in their toolkit. That set is great for running solo content now since you'll get that debuff on your targets and therefore more damage. Don't use it if you're a Stamina Nightblade, Warden, or Dragonknight because those 3 classes have an innate class skill that provides the debuff for you.

E: On that note here's my solo templar build. 2 sets (Vicious Ophidian and Maelstrom Bow) are from trial content so if you don't want to spend time farming it out you can easily replace them with Vengeance Leech Jewelry (provides a similar resource return to VO but on all 3 stats) and Agility weapons (the 2 piece is max stamina)

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 29, 2018

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
That setup would be pretty deadly for vMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Beefeater posted:

That setup would be pretty deadly for vMA.
It is.

I went in on a lark Wednesday night (first stam class since stamsorc) and in 3 runs I had improved to 545k with 2 deaths. Woulda been 1 if I hadn't bled out on second stage after one-shotting the first centurion.

The change to Night Mother's Gaze was a net positive for solo content.