Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Indiana Iones does sound much cooler

E: what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThaumPenguin posted:

The Latin version just doesn't seem all that catchy as a game name, like it seems it'd be hard to refer to it casually unless you just go with an initialism

e: "do you wanna play some Alea" was the thought going through my head when I saw the name, and that just doesn't sound great to me, like it sounds like the scientific name of a eel subspecies

do you think this is the kind of game where you invite someone to casually play in your xbox?

"do you wanna play some alea" of course loving not, it's a game you play alone at 3 am.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Come play in my xbox, my lord

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah on reflection it's a groggy version of EU:Rome. Now I wanna buy it more.

As someone who's played too much alea jacta est do not buy it. It's not a fun game, all ageod games are bad and are not worth your time or money.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

AGEOD was briefly known as Paradox France, and was the team behind March of Eagles. They don't make good games, which is why they are no longer part of Paradox.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

(jehovah wasn't a name for God the medievals would use)

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

StashAugustine posted:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

AGEOD's mission as a studio is apparently to use the exact same engine and combat system to make war games representing eras from Rome through the 30 Years' War and both World Wars, so as you might imagine it does exactly none of them well.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Duh, Latin has no J

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The best thing about AGEOD was when someone calculated that given the turn calculations times in their Victorian era game it would take something like 10 years to complete a game.

Hence everyone claiming that had multiple playthroughs and enjoyed them and nothing was wrong were clearly lying.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mans posted:

"do you wanna play some alea"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-zXT5bIBM0

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Alchenar posted:

The best thing about AGEOD was when someone calculated that given the turn calculations times in their Victorian era game it would take something like 10 years to complete a game.

Hence everyone claiming that had multiple playthroughs and enjoyed them and nothing was wrong were clearly lying.

At $5 on steam I considered giving Pride of Nations another shot but apparently it runs even worse on modern systems since it's programmed to use only a single thread. What a shame.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I read this as "Groogy" version of EU:Rome and got excited for a second :sigh:

My version would have chariots be useless :colbert:
e: But appointing an elephant to the senate would totally be doable. But only if you are Carthage.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 29, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

they are kinda wasted on invading greece

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

My version would have chariots be useless :colbert:
e: But appointing an elephant to the senate would totally be doable. But only if you are Carthage.
Tell me again why you arent the dev lead on I:R?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Because I am the Ideas Guy at EU4 with DDRJake being the Lead Ideas Guy.
My ideas will get the player disappointed way sooner and as such is more fun.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Groogy posted:

Because I am the Ideas Guy at EU4 with DDRJake being the Lead Ideas Guy.
My ideas will get the player disappointed way sooner and as such is more fun.

You should have gotten Ideas Guy knocked out when Siberian Frontiers was a 0 cost idea. Then you could move on to Legacy of Rome or SPQR or something.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Anyone know some nice, short, concise videos that show a bit the gameplay of Europa Universalis 4 and CK2? I have a friend that's intrigued by this that I wouldn't mind bringing over from Civilization. I know of some typical let's player but there stuff is not what I would say entry level that wouldn't turn off a new player.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
https://youtu.be/XSlGdnbIUw8

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:hellyeah:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

:five:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

put this in the OP

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I watch this whenever I need to be inspired on how to make EU4 git gud

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

I did something like that. I was kinda hyped for Pride of Nations because it had some clever mechanics but went nowhere fast. It also had a lot of things that straight up didn't really work.

Private capital and state funds as separate but usable resources is a really clever thing and a better game in this era should use it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Unsurprisingly when you design your game around "we need to include the following because it's realistic" then it often ends up not being a fun game. See: border gore EU4 map mods with 10 billion tiny provinces and exclaves everywhere.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Unsurprisingly when you design your game around "we need to include the following because it's realistic" then it often ends up not being a fun game. See: border gore EU4 map mods with 10 billion tiny provinces and exclaves everywhere.

Actually, Voltaires nightmare is really cool

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
little glimpse of the character system in this thread:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1013071150191140866

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The girl is incorruptible, put her in charge of everything

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1013071297809707008
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1013071375190446080
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1013072583439372288
I'm pretty impressed with the portrait system so far. I'll be interested to see how much variance there is across cultures.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Another feature I can't wait to see in CK3.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Modding 3D graphics is so much harder than futzing with 2D graphics, though. :sigh:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, it looks great but I'm worried that modders will have issues with it for that reason.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yeah I've taken it as a sign to learn 3d modeling, which to be fair I feel like I should have been doing anyway

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
eu5 or vicky 3 first?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well, hopefully there will still be a way to use 2d portraits. If there's no Anime mod then I'm not buying it, quite frankly.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Huh. People actually care about how good the portraits look? Portraits were always on par with the 3D army models for me regarding their level of importance.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I don't know if it's been posted elsewhere but Fredrik Wester will be sharing some interesting stuff day after day for July

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/1013334433951338497

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/1012959169979314176

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/1012588974584541184

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazycryodude posted:

AGEOD's mission as a studio is apparently to use the exact same engine and combat system to make war games representing eras from Rome through the 30 Years' War and both World Wars, so as you might imagine it does exactly none of them well.

Their last couple of games - Thirty Years War and Wars of Succession - haven't been too bad. But they've ditched their old engine, and the new game is coming out on a modified version of the custom Slitherine engine . The only hint so far is that it won't be a gunpowder game. Should be interesting.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Huh. People actually care about how good the portraits look? Portraits were always on par with the 3D army models for me regarding their level of importance.
If you want to make some total conversion sort of mod that isn't set in Antiquity, yeah it's going to be weird if you aren't able to rope someone in who has the modelling experience and can replace all those togas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

GrossMurpel posted:

In CK2 your character is right there in the top left of your screen the entire time you play. It’s not even like army models where you could zoom out if you wanted to and never actually see them, the portrait is always super prominent.

Even aside from that, I’m biased, but I value the cosmetic DLC as much as some of the mechanics. The world feels so much more alive with it.