Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

gently caress Harlan Ellison died

I know :smith:

But at least he had a good long life, that he lived mostly on his own terms. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

gently caress i'm caught. i'm also all of your landlords

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

gently caress Harlan Ellison died

and then now i'm sad

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

he was a total creep when I met him.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

loved him in half baked

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

There is a scene in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 that might be my favorite in the whole MCU. It's when Mantis and Drax are sitting with each other and she feels what he's always feeling about his dead child and wife.

Mantis has an ability to feel exactly what any person feels when she touches them. And when she touches Drax, who is sitting contently but you can tell is thinking about something, she just breaks down the moment it hits her.

I love this scene because it's just such a hit to the gut, and I can totally understand how a father would feel that way if they were still alive but their kid wasn't. It always makes me hug my kids a little tighter the next time.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What are some good Ellison reads to check out for the uninitiated?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

Pretty much any of his short story collections, though I'll give special mention to The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World, since it was the first one of his that I read.

For non-fiction, Harlan Ellison's Watching, which is a collection of his film reviews and essays on life in Tinseltown.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

A Boy and His Dog is a classic, but Sydney's right, the short story anthologies are where he really shines.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Play I have no Mouth and watch Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Incredible Hulk issue 140. It was really good.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

This World Cup is so drat good. What the hell

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

gently caress the red sox.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Peter David’s obituary for Harlan Ellison is perfect: https://www.peterdavid.net/2018/06/28/rip-harlan/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

fart blood posted:

Peter David’s obituary for Harlan Ellison is perfect: https://www.peterdavid.net/2018/06/28/rip-harlan/

That's really drat good.

Best obituary/eulogy I ever read was Hunter S. Thompson's for Richard Nixon. The sheer contempt is palpable.

NOTES ON THE PASSING OF AN AMERICAN MONSTER

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

That's really drat good.

Best obituary/eulogy I ever read was Hunter S. Thompson's for Richard Nixon. The sheer contempt is palpable.

god drat

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Jerusalem posted:

That's really drat good.

This is so good

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

today I got mad and started screaming because I couldn't remember the game Cortana came from. Then I remembered it was called Halo.

Anyway, if you hate games but wanna do gunpla without spending a bajillion dollars on plastic poo poo, New Gundam Breaker is good. Just don't go in expecting a good action game because its fuckin terrible.

https://twitter.com/coconono/status/1013550631737528321

https://twitter.com/coconono/status/1013534806506950656

I redid the gold one a bit to make it not so obnoxious but I haven't capped it yet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

coconono posted:

today I got mad and started screaming because I couldn't remember the game Cortana came from. Then I remembered it was called Halo.

Anyway, if you hate games but wanna do gunpla without spending a bajillion dollars on plastic poo poo, New Gundam Breaker is good. Just don't go in expecting a good action game because its fuckin terrible.

https://twitter.com/coconono/status/1013550631737528321

https://twitter.com/coconono/status/1013534806506950656

I redid the gold one a bit to make it not so obnoxious but I haven't capped it yet.

Gundam Breaker 3 is a million times better and can be found on Amazon for a pretty decent price(get the Break Edition as that has all the DLC on disc)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

drrockso20 posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 is a million times better and can be found on Amazon for a pretty decent price(get the Break Edition as that has all the DLC on disc)

yeah, I'm waiting for a used copy to pop up at Gameslop.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

coconono posted:

yeah, I'm waiting for a used copy to pop up at Gameslop.

Well that ain't gonna happen as it was never officially released here in the US, 3 is available in English because of the Singapore market, but luckily the PS4 is region free, so it will work just fine

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ALL OF MY PLANS ARE RUINED

Takuan
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

Wait, so, this is a game where you get to build plastic model kits piece by piece?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Takuan posted:

Wait, so, this is a game where you get to build plastic model kits piece by piece?

sorta. you collect* bits and pieces of famous mecha from the Gundam franchise and use them to assemble the mecha of your dreams.

*you beat them off of enemies and haul the parts to a nearby collection thing. That moves around the map. Because this game hates you.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Takuan posted:

As stated, get Gundam Breaker 3 instead as it's much better

coconono posted:

sorta. you collect* bits and pieces of famous mecha from the Gundam franchise and use them to assemble the mecha of your dreams.

*you beat them off of enemies and haul the parts to a nearby collection thing. That moves around the map. Because this game hates you.

Quit recommending New Gundam Breaker, it sucks

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

telling a person that the game hates them is hardly a recommendation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

telling a person that the game hates them is hardly a recommendation.

The Souls series seems to be successful. Somehow.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

The Souls series seems to be successful. Somehow.

That's actually completely different

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

In Souls games death isn't the same as in a regular game but sort of gets the same level of consequence applied to it online erroneously. Progression is just as much learning the game as it is moving forward in the game, and learning the game makes a lot of the things in it just about trivial. There is some bullshit but not too much. I suck really bad at games but get through those ones just fine aside from the occasional optional thing that actually seems intentionally pretty hard

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Souls series loves you, it just expects a lot out of you because it knows the potential is there. :)

Except Lost Izalith.

Lost Izalith definitely loving hates you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

VJeff posted:

Well my cat needs exploratory surgery. So much for my plans to buy 800 dollars worth of merchandise and upgrades on SomethingAwful Dot Com.

Update on this, he got his stitches off today. I'm 1400 dollars poorer for the whole experience, but, my little guy is okay, so. :toot:

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Worth every penny IMO

Give him lots of scritches from us

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it's 2:30am and i can't sleep in this loving heat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VJeff posted:

Update on this, he got his stitches off today. I'm 1400 dollars poorer for the whole experience, but, my little guy is okay, so. :toot:

Yay for a healthy kitty :3:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

VJeff posted:

Good news!

Puppy update: he's a stubborn little jerk and I hope we don't flunk out of puppy kindergarten.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just explain to your puppy that you worked hard to put them through school and they need to be considerate of that fact!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here's a picture of him, shaved belly and all.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
High quality cat deserves a high quality camera

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Nevermind. Talked to some friends, worked through it.

Glass Punkbull 141 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

it's 2:30am and i can't sleep in this loving heat

Turn on your AC.