Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TalkLittle posted:

Let's see what Wikipedia says about Earth's rotation:

First off, at the current rate of deceleration, after 10000 years the rate of rotation would be expected to remain almost the same, with days being about the same length as today, give or take a second.

From this, we have a couple ways earth's rotation could drastically slow:

1. Atmospheric tide could decrease greatly

We can probably rule this out since the general weather patterns and wildlife appear mostly unchanged in the game. As Wikipedia says, it would be massive thermal changes that affect the atmospheric tide, and evidently that did not happen.

2. Lunar torque could increase greatly

According to some equations on lunar tidal torque, the torque could increase if any of these happen:

a. Distance between moon and earth decreases
b. Radius of earth itself increases
c. The mass of the moon increases

As for A, there is some evidence that the moon is not where it's expected to be. In the Half-Wit Inventor sidequest, the rocket misses the moon and hits Mars instead. This indicates that the old data regarding the moon's celestial position may be wrong; and given that the inventor is not connected to the machine lifeforms' network, he must get his data from old human records.

As for B, we can probably rule out changes in earth's radius, given that satellites, like the in-game map and the YoRHa outpost, still behave normally.

As for C, we can't really say either way. We know there is some kind of special Server on the moon which would surely increase its mass, but we don't know the nature of this Server. And we don't know what else may be on the moon.

Questions from the game because I don't remember: Does anyone ever talk about going to the dark side of Earth? Does anyone ever talk about seeing the moon first-hand?

Don't recall either coming up in the game, but they both get mentioned in supplementary materials. There's a short story that turns out to be set on the Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Noper Q posted:

I agree. I'm going to show Automata to my friends eventually, and I plan on spoiling that bit after Ending A. I think it'll make the repeat sections more interesting, since they'll be able to actively see 2B's actions in a new light instead of just thinking back on it.
Don't do this that would ruin it. I was spoiled that there was something hidden about 2B and that was fine tho.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You could probably get away with something like "2B has seen 9S die more than once" which is something people could reasomably figure out anyway

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I just realized that I had a bunch of points at GameStop so I picked up Nier and after coupons it ended up being $5

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure the cause of the earth stopping rotating and the sun disappearing are "weird magic poo poo".

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I'm pretty sure the cause is "we didn't have the budget for night scenes in Nier 1 so we made some poo poo up and now we have to roll with it for Nier 2".

vvv Dang you're right, I forgot about that.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 24, 2018

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Hikaki posted:

I'm pretty sure the cause is "we didn't have the budget for night scenes in Nier 1 so we made some poo poo up and now we have to roll with it for Nier 2".

That doesn't quite add up though, because there *is* passage of time in the overworld of Nier - it goes from dawn to noon to dusk to noon to dawn, if I recall. And the weather varies. It's not like they didn't have it in the budget or technology for night cycles. I think it was a creative decision.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Beefstew posted:

it goes from dawn to noon to dusk to noon to dawn

Same universe as 2005 NFS: Most Wanted, then?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
On a similar note of "unanswered questions", was it ever explained why a Japanese city was located next to a European Castle?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

On a similar note of "unanswered questions", was it ever explained why a Japanese city was located next to a European Castle?

What about the city made it Japanese?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

It being in Japan, for one thing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

umalt posted:

I'm gonna guess it's the same reason the city's there at all.

The machines and the androids are both constantly rebuilding the city, that's how it's still there and looks so recent after 11,000 years, but the machines rebuild it ruined because they don't know it's not supposed to look like that. There was probably some confusion in the intervening millenia..

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Quick gameplay question, but I’m playing as A2 and the desert boss Hegel (big snake thing that separates) is really kicking my rear end at level 48, any advice? Should I just bring levels a bit?

Also, the difficulty spike post-B route is insane :psyduck:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

Quick gameplay question, but I’m playing as A2 and the desert boss Hegel (big snake thing that separates) is really kicking my rear end at level 48, any advice? Should I just bring levels a bit?

Also, the difficulty spike post-B route is insane :psyduck:

Oh god yes. 48 is the level you'd normally be near the end of route B, not a good bit into C. Things will stop being insane once you get a few more levels to even out the stats.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Saagonsa posted:

Oh god yes. 48 is the level you'd normally be near the end of route B, not a good bit into C. Things will stop being insane once you get a few more levels to even out the stats.

Thanks, I’ll do so. Beserk/suicide mode seemed a bit of a cheap trick too.

Love this game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Berserk mode is extremely terrible against that boss, yeah.

Also, did you skip all the sidequests or something? That's an awfully low level for that point.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zereth posted:

Berserk mode is extremely terrible against that boss, yeah.

Also, did you skip all the sidequests or something? That's an awfully low level for that point.

Some, but not all. I should probably take a break and do some grinding for a while, I got so immersed in the story, particularly when things started getting weird during 9S’s campaign that I just pushed through.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I didn't use either of A2's special tricks - guess I didn't feel the added DPS was really worth the hassle, and that's when I remembered they existed. Her extended dash was cool though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Saagonsa posted:

Really? 48 from my recollection seems just about right for the start of C which is when you actually fight Hegel.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Deified Data posted:

I didn't use either of A2's special tricks - guess I didn't feel the added DPS was really worth the hassle, and that's when I remembered they existed. Her extended dash was cool though.

The extended dash alone makes her the best by far to play as. Especially when you max it out with chips.
Just thinking about it makes me wanna play some Automata.

The enemies at the start of C were overlevelling me by around 5 to 10 when I first played and I did everything. After C's intro the curve normalises back down a bit.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

I was loaded up on consumable ATK/DEF buffs for most of the tough battles by Route C. When you all are talking about being underlevelled is that taking buffs into consideration?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hegel is a poo poo boss in general, and introducing Berserk mode there is really dumb because it's just going to get you killed there.

May want to experiment with your chip layout before you grind, but I think that'll be the worst boss you'll face for awhile, if not for the rest of the game.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I didn't touch berserk for most of the game - mostly because i preferred to rapidly jump between close-combo range and medium range evades and toggling it constantly felt like a bother - but with the right healing chips it lets you do some hilarious hail-mary stuff in the dlc arenas when you know the wave layout and spawn locations beforehand.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Hunt11 posted:

In several of the archives you find in the city ruins either feature the names of japanese locations or japanese names.

Dabir posted:

I'm gonna guess it's the same reason the city's there at all.

The machines and the androids are both constantly rebuilding the city, that's how it's still there and looks so recent after 11,000 years, but the machines rebuild it ruined because they don't know it's not supposed to look like that. There was probably some confusion in the intervening millenia..

Okay, just wondering where it said that the machines rebuilt the ruins? I don't doubt you, I just don't recall where it said that. It would make sense that the city/castle/desert migrated due to machines rebuilding without consideration of where these ruins were actually located/contiental drift loving with their idea of where these ruins belong

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I can also remember machines rebuilding human cities came up, but am not sure where - either the chest archives or Jackass's infodump. Though I'm pretty sure the castle is just a castle, serving the purposes of a castle - after all, that machine group had an actual king they worshipped for hundreds of years from the beginning of each loop

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

I can also remember machines rebuilding human cities came up, but am not sure where - either the chest archives or Jackass's infodump. Though I'm pretty sure the castle is just a castle, serving the purposes of a castle - after all, that machine group had an actual king they worshipped for hundreds of years from the beginning of each loop
The castle has a plaque somewhere naming it and calling it a historical site, I believe.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Zereth posted:

The castle has a plaque somewhere naming it and calling it a historical site, I believe.
This one?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The name's probably a reference to Neuschwanstein Castle.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Game looks weird as gently caress but it just came out on Xbox so I nabbed it

Microsoft Store proudly boasts, "The NieR:Automata™ BECOME AS GODS Edition includes downloadable content* which features “Revealing Outfit” costume"

Rad!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Game looks weird as gently caress but it just came out on Xbox so I nabbed it

Microsoft Store proudly boasts, "The NieR:Automata™ BECOME AS GODS Edition includes downloadable content* which features “Revealing Outfit” costume"

Rad!

It's a reference to a character from the previous game but it's still....yeah. I dunno. It's a proper GOTY-type game though, it just has an inexplicable light dusting of anime titty

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

umalt posted:

Okay, just wondering where it said that the machines rebuilt the ruins? I don't doubt you, I just don't recall where it said that. It would make sense that the city/castle/desert migrated due to machines rebuilding without consideration of where these ruins were actually located/contiental drift loving with their idea of where these ruins belong

I think that's in supplementary material, I remember it from this thread somewhere.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a reference to a character from the previous game but it's still....yeah. I dunno. It's a proper GOTY-type game though, it just has an inexplicable light dusting of anime titty

It's perfectly explicable, the game director is a big horny toad

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

2house2fly posted:

It's perfectly explicable, the game director is a big horny toad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke1YKF3tNCE

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I died to the double spinning blade boss and need to start over at the very beginning of the game?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I died to the double spinning blade boss and need to start over at the very beginning of the game?

The game autosaves extremely rarely, you pretty much need to manually save to save the game at all, and you don't get to do that until you complete the prologue. You might want to just play through the prologue on easy just to get through it.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well you see, there's a trick to it: :yokotaro:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Heehee, I'm dumb and didn't know about dodging. That was way easy on the second try

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Xbox version tracks how many times you tried to look up the character's skirt and now my buddies are Making fun of me

This game sucks!!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

The game autosaves extremely rarely, you pretty much need to manually save to save the game at all, and you don't get to do that until you complete the prologue. You might want to just play through the prologue on easy just to get through it.

It’s a real gently caress you out of the gate, yeah. After the prologue, save points are everywhere and it’s nbd at all but the opening 20 minutes of the game loves to burn newbies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Probably gonna need some help with Emil's Determination

I've tried for about an hour and cannot get the quest to trigger. I've gotten all the weapons to level 4 (saw the trophy pop too), finished Emil's Memories and beat him the first time to get the heads weapon. I see that the quest is supposed to appear at the old mall and it's not - I've tried to find it in several different chapters with every character.

What am I missing?