Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm just going to put this out there. My buddy is cashing out if anyone knows any whales here looking.

quote:

MTG Related Status: I’m about to offer up the last bit of my collection. I’m focusing on my business and personal development and don’t have time to play. Would prefer one Buyer. Various Conditions mostly MP, some HP. Scans will be up tomorrow night. Taking Offers. It’s going to be in the realm of $100k. The UL & CE set have already been sold.

1x Library of Alexandria
15x Arabian Nights Mountains
1x Beta Demonic Tutor
1x Beta Sol Ring
5x Beta Savannah - 1 Damaged - water but sleeve playable
4x Beta Badlands
4x Beta Bayou - 1 Inked
4x Beta Scrublands
4x Beta Plateau
4x Beta Tundra
3x Beta Volcanic Island
1x Beta Tropical Island
1x Beta Underground Sea HP
Beta Power 9
$100k

Signed Beta Vesuvan Doppelgänger & Handwritten Correspondence from Quinton Hoover $10k.

Serious Inquiries Only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm just going to put this out there. My buddy is cashing out if anyone knows any whales here looking.

:eyepop:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

One thing though, most sideboards have a single Lyra Dawnbringer in the sideboard. I get that it's a baneslayer angel that can pump your entreat angels, but what matchup are you bringing it in for?

in legacy, it is for BUG midrange and control decks because they cannot, in one million years, ever kill that card. I do not play similar GBx or RBx strategies in modern, so I don't know what the sideboard plan looks like, but my guess is that, like you said, stuff like terminates go away and then they can never, ever deal with it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah, one buyer sounds like a plan

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
What do you think of Spirit of the Labyrinth as a sideboard card in Modern humans? Vialing it in response to a loot spell would be a major blowout, and it is also good against storm and KCI. It does die to any removal spell, but if they are bolting this then they aren't bolting a Mantis Rider.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's okay against hollow one, but still a blank against dredge and their looting spells. I suppose it depends on what your meta is (that you brought up KCI as a deck to worry about at all leads me to believe there's some weird stuff going on over there) and what you want to take out of the sideboard for it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm going to add a spirit to the sideboard of my WB taxes deck just because at a local level it's pretty good right now. Good against mardu pyromancer, control, storm, hollow one, and I guess KCI if anyone feels like getting saucy. Last time I used one in modern was the treasure cruise days but it seems pretty decent right now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Spirit of the Lab seems horrible against storm and control. What am I missing? Are you really bringing in a 2 mana 3/1 just to make the cards Serum Visions and Remand slightly worse? The only playable card in the format that Spirit is good enough against is Faithless Looting, and good luck keeping her alive against a deck that's half removal.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Spirit of the Lab seems horrible against storm and control. What am I missing? Are you really bringing in a 2 mana 3/1 just to make the cards Serum Visions and Remand slightly worse? The only playable card in the format that Spirit is good enough against is Faithless Looting, and good luck keeping her alive against a deck that's half removal.

Serum visions, opt, remand, and manamorphose in storm. Humans and taxes both have worse cards. Also control these days is using teferi and jtms. Also humans, spirits, and taxes are all very creature heavy decks so yeah, spot removal obviously sucks but is much easier to play around. Especially with how easy taxes and spirits can protect a few creatures. You're also forgetting goblin lore in hollow ones decks and all the extra draws in KCI since it got popular.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I would pay money to see a pro get his Goblin Lore blown out on camera by a Collective Company into Spirit of the Labyrinth.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

I would pay money to see a pro get his Goblin Lore blown out on camera by a Collective Company into Spirit of the Labyrinth.

There was that Legacy tourney where a guy flashed in Notion Thief in response to an opponent's Jacestorm, does that count?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

There was that Legacy tourney where a guy flashed in Notion Thief in response to an opponent's Jacestorm, does that count?

Twice. Back to back games. It happened to a kid who played at my LGS.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Serum visions, opt, remand, and manamorphose in storm. Humans and taxes both have worse cards. Also control these days is using teferi and jtms. Also humans, spirits, and taxes are all very creature heavy decks so yeah, spot removal obviously sucks but is much easier to play around. Especially with how easy taxes and spirits can protect a few creatures. You're also forgetting goblin lore in hollow ones decks and all the extra draws in KCI since it got popular.

if you can manage to vial it in in response to a Jace activation that might be GG right there.

I pulled that trick with leovold a couple times in legacy BUG vial nonsense, and provoked scoops.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Spirit of the Lab seems like a good card to have out with burning inquiry.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jace, the Mind Sculptor in modern.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EW7MAfxnI

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The judge cracking up around 6:40 is the best part IMO

Should I take the time tonight to track down all of my Bant Spirits cards that are strewn about my collection, or be "boring" and take my already-assembled Mill list to FNM tomorrow?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

C-Euro posted:

Should I take the time tonight to track down all of my Bant Spirits cards that are strewn about my collection, or be "boring" and take my already-assembled Mill list to FNM tomorrow?

Spirits!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Spirits is a good deck that is about to get better.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mezzanon posted:

Spirits being very solid makes Terminus slightly better, I think.

I like casting Terminus.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I'm with you, but all of my Spirits cards are spread out over the many piles of cards that I've traded for and then immediately forgotten about. Maybe instead of going to FNM tonight I should actually sort all of those piles, but I keep looking for excuses not to go to FNM these days. I wish the store in my neighborhood was the one doing weekly Modern instead of just the one across town...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I'm with you, but all of my Spirits cards are spread out over the many piles of cards that I've traded for and then immediately forgotten about. Maybe instead of going to FNM tonight I should actually sort all of those piles, but I keep looking for excuses not to go to FNM these days. I wish the store in my neighborhood was the one doing weekly Modern instead of just the one across town...

This happened to me and I ended up with several playsets of mausoleum wanderer and rattlechains because I kept forgetting I had them. Might have to put spirits together if that new lord really is a big shot in the arm to make it more consistent. Would spirits actually want to play with SFM if it got unbanned? Seems like it'd be ok in a lot of creature strategies like that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

This happened to me and I ended up with several playsets of mausoleum wanderer and rattlechains because I kept forgetting I had them. Might have to put spirits together if that new lord really is a big shot in the arm to make it more consistent. Would spirits actually want to play with SFM if it got unbanned? Seems like it'd be ok in a lot of creature strategies like that.

what do you cut?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

what do you cut?

I'm asking you! I don't have much experience with the deck other than playing against it. I didn't know if the ability to coco into an sfm and put swords on the spirits is worth making any cuts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

You could spend one of those nights you don't go to FNM and sit at home all night getting your collection in order.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

No. A tempo deck doesn't want to spend 2 turns and 4 mana to get blown out by a Kolaghan's Command, especially when those 2 turns and 4 mana could cast actual cards and get a better clock out anyway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

You could spend one of those nights you don't go to FNM and sit at home all night getting your collection in order.

The store across town does Modern FNM weekly but the one within walking distance of me does it every third week and has a smaller turnout. Also the Fridays that I'm busy or traveling are always the Fridays where the closer store has Modern FNM. My collection is admittedly a mess but it's at least confined to one or two bins. I really just need to pick up some cheap deckboxes and sleeves and just sort them all into decks or partial decks.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

how do i sell out of this bad game

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

how do i sell out of this bad game

Do what I did and go to a GP and sell it all and even though you're only getting like, 60% of retail your cards have all doubled in price anyway.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Do what I did and go to a GP and sell it all and even though you're only getting like, 60% of retail your cards have all doubled in price anyway.

oh I should probably sell a bunch of my dumb eternal format poo poo that hasn’t seen the light of day in years at the gp here in a few months

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I'm asking you! I don't have much experience with the deck other than playing against it. I didn't know if the ability to coco into an sfm and put swords on the spirits is worth making any cuts.

suicidesteve posted:

No. A tempo deck doesn't want to spend 2 turns and 4 mana to get blown out by a Kolaghan's Command, especially when those 2 turns and 4 mana could cast actual cards and get a better clock out anyway.

This is pretty much correct. I mean your ideal line is hit geist and SFM off of a collected company at your opponents end step, then SFM in a sword, and spend mana equipping the sword to the geist and swinging.

That's a bigger payoff than batterskull (even on geist)

Instead you just run your extra playset of lords and try to have a faster clock while running the most disruptive tempo/aggro deck

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Hauki posted:

oh I should probably sell a bunch of my dumb eternal format poo poo that hasn’t seen the light of day in years at the gp here in a few months

Send me a list first ;)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The March Hare posted:

Send me a list first ;)

do you really want one because it's becoming really hard to justify like 25 grand not being put to use at all and i'll probably actually sell

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

do you really want one because it's becoming really hard to justify like 25 grand not being put to use at all and i'll probably actually sell

I mean, yeah, send it over. I probably won't buy your entire collection but if you've got power or duals that I don't have I'll at least consider 'em at a price higher than GP buylist.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The March Hare posted:

Send me a list first ;)

sure, will do

it's been on my to-do list for a while, but, well, life

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

The March Hare posted:

Send me a list first ;)

Does that go for everyone? Because I have a lot of legacy stuff I'm not using.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I mean I'm mostly after vintage stuff but sure. I still need two Korean gambles and the same explorations too in case anyone has any of those.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The March Hare posted:

I mean, yeah, send it over. I probably won't buy your entire collection but if you've got power or duals that I don't have I'll at least consider 'em at a price higher than GP buylist.

Did you see the list I posted earlier?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Did you see the list I posted earlier?

Yeah, I'm not trying to drop 100 grand on magic cards in one go though...

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Activating SFM is an instant speed effect and Kolaghan's Command is hardly anywhere in the format. Honestly, even if Kommand takes out SFM and blows up your equipment, you're probably fine with that. It is better to trade one for one against Kommand than to have it blow up a creature and make you discard or have it hit your vial. Passing the turn with the option of Queller or SFM activation is a fantastic place, and with evasion and hexproof, Spirits are fantastic at picking up a sword. I think it's really foolish to think that you wouldn't play SFM in a UW deck that is jam packed with evasive creatures, some of whom also have some form of resilience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Man, like nothing you said makes any sense in the context of Bant Spirits. Maybe someone is going to make Spirit Taxes into A Real Deck or something, but that's not what we're talking about.