Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jordan Taylor is a national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Jordan Taylor is a national treasure.

lol

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lmao that owns

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Going to be 95 loving degrees at Watkins Glen this Sunday. I wonder if the Cadillacs fixed their cooling system issues from Daytona yet

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

an oddly awful oud posted:

Going to be 95 loving degrees at Watkins Glen this Sunday. I wonder if the Cadillacs fixed their cooling system issues from Daytona yet

Even at Sebring when it was on the 80s you could see some of them pissing water. I doubt they've totally fixed it yet, but I'm hopeful.

Also saw the article the other day with a ton of hand wringing about not wanting to split DPi and P2, specifically that one P2 entry would immediately pull out if they're no longer in the top class.

What the gently caress sense does that even make? They'll never be competitive, and the DPis are basically running woth a goddamn valet key in them but still walking away just due to suspension development. Nothing they do is going to close the gap, so might as well rip the bandaid off sooner rather than later and just admit it was a failed attempt.

Let DPi be free goddamnit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DPi is gonna be the same regardless of WEC cars running in the class or not, all of its rules are locked for 2 more seasons at a minimum. IMSA made that deal with the builders so they can spread their costs out over the full term.

They talked about doing a subclass with WEC cars for gentlemen drivers, sorta like GT-Am, while the pro guys were still the Prototype class. A WEC car won at Laguna like a few races ago, afterall.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 28, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

They talked about doing a subclass with WEC cars for gentlemen drivers, sorta like GT-Am, while the pro guys were still the Prototype class. A WEC car won at Laguna like a few races ago, afterall.

Last year, with a very good pro driver (Van Der Zande) and before the arms race ratcheted up this year.

also let's not forget that Penske had a WEC-spec car at Petit Le Mans last year...which also had three platinum drivers with Indy 500 wins and IndyCar championships between them (JPM, Helio, Pagenaud).

So a WEC car might be competitive...if you throw the resources of a Penske at it :v:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And the DPis suspension development program has come on significantly in the past few months, reportedly. I'm thinking the only way to truly balance the DPis is to bring them back to homologated suspension from the chassis manufacturers, but that's out of the box now and I doubt anyone in a DPi wants to go back to spec suspension. The DPis were feckless in traffic at Mid Ohio because they had about what the GTs had for power.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

an oddly awful oud posted:

As usual, VW really does not gently caress around when it comes to motorsport. I wish they weren't honest-to-god evil bureaucrats of the worst Teutonic stereotype and were instead people you could actually feel good about rooting for

Speaking of, they went back to the Nordschleife with the 919 Hybrid Evo and...

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/porsche-obliterates-nordschleife-record-with-919-evo-1053130/

5:19.546.

That's almost a minute faster than the old record. The onboards from this run will literally make people sick.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That’s actually incredible

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Here's the onboard.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

the acceleration through an off camber uphill right hand corner at 1:45 is unbelievable

I'm assuming it has a higher downforce setup for such a tight track and yet it still tops out at 226mph on the straight :stare:

Basticle fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 29, 2018

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Holy poo poo that thing jumps to hyperspace out of corners

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Basticle posted:

the acceleration through an off camber uphill right hand corner at 1:45 is unbelievable

I'm assuming it has a higher downforce setup for such a sight track and yet it still tops out at 226mph on the straight :stare:

I love how the speed comes on where you can see the ICE running out of puff and the hybrid system is like 'HERE COME DA BOOST' and the speed shoots upto 340kmh , I was pretty much :eyepop: through the entire lap

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

I'm assuming it has a higher downforce setup for such a sight track and yet it still tops out at 226mph on the straight :stare:

There are so many corners and kinks like that where you think "surely he has to lift" and he sure doesn't, and there's not even the vaguest suggestion of a wobble, it is absolutely planted.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I can't wait for a 60 year old Mark Webber to bin that thing at Goodwood.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That lap is loving terrifying, holy poo poo

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Whoever at Porsche actually convinced the board to spend the money to go on this tour is awesome

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

Whoever at Porsche actually convinced the board to spend the money to go on this tour is awesome

Yeah it's really cool.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cygni posted:

The idea behind it is simple:
"If we're going back to Le Mans in the new regs, we need to keep as much of the team here doing something as we can."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
jesus christ

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Schlesische posted:

"If we're going back to Le Mans in the new regs, we need to keep as much of the team here doing something as we can."

lol

MANAGEMENT to ENGINEERS: "Ok, go hog und wild."

ENGINEERS: "gently caress jah!"

MANAGEMENT couple years later: "Ok, not remember everything we learned but stifle yourself"

ENGINEERS: "gently caress nein!"

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

This is how I think I can race the track in a video game but in real life

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone know why he took the high line through the Carousel?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Car was too low to take it without damaging the floor, and raising it would hurt downforce elsewhere, likely.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Schlesische posted:

i appreciate your optimism

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That lap is loving terrifying, holy poo poo

This.

My brain cant even parse this video; it goes through some sections of track like they arent even there

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cygni posted:

DPi is gonna be the same regardless of WEC cars running in the class or not, all of its rules are locked for 2 more seasons at a minimum. IMSA made that deal with the builders so they can spread their costs out over the full term.

Rules, yes. The BoP can easily be changed, and open the cars back up. They're running so nerfed that it's not even funny, and it's honestly sad hearing them just fart around gurgling for air and fuel.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Anyone know why he took the high line through the Carousel?

Fun fact: the line through there was meant to be up top, and the bottom bit is meant for drainage. But people soon found it could be quicker—assuming sufficient suspension travel, something the 919 lacks—to take the lower line.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Yikes, almost a massive clusterfuck in the esses on lap 1, # 90 and #2 spun

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

oh look a Mazda down

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ligier vs Oreca here it looks like. I was doin the dishes and stuff while watchin on a laptop, but I cant figure out how the #6 messed up the pit strategy.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

wasn't Braun one of the 8 dozen NASCAR prospects who had their careers hosed over by Roush?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cygni posted:

Ligier vs Oreca here it looks like. I was doin the dishes and stuff while watchin on a laptop, but I cant figure out how the #6 messed up the pit strategy.

or they will both take themselves out and DPi's will win anyway lol

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

go Simpson go :killdozer:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
That was epic

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

And DiResta is flying, dope.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'd love for Steve Simpson to pull this out, he was awesome here last year and got hosed by his teammate and traffic.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I think Land might be in trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Land with the Mega-Pout