Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The ops people don't want to lose visibility, but the vast majority of those are coming from garbage ISPs full of crap that nobody cares about.
If the ops children to justify logging that garbage for visibility maybe they'd like to propose some rules that make use of their precious insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm investigating moving to an ELK stack for hilarious license reasons.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Martytoof posted:

I'm investigating moving to an ELK stack for hilarious license reasons.

Oh yeah, that's happening too but the timeline is hosed.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Elastic means the timeline is always hosed. If you're able to have Enterprise level data following into it and it won't crash hilariously every other day, we need to talk.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

luv2search every American's credit, assets, interests, kinks

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can anyone point me to a decent encrypt / decrypt script that will use .asc keys and handle large files? Already tried gpg but there seems to be an issue using pinentry and I can't decrypt without a passcode.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
(Do Not) Install Gentoo

https://twitter.com/tarah/status/1012455792551661569

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"Gentoo does NOT use GitHub to distribute anything. Nor take code from the GitHub repo. That is just a public mirror of our private infrastructure. Zero Gentoo users affected. Oh, and the infra keys were not compromised :-p"

At least it's more of a problem with GitHub than with Gentoo.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"Gentoo does NOT use GitHub to distribute anything. Nor take code from the GitHub repo. That is just a public mirror of our private infrastructure. Zero Gentoo users affected. Oh, and the infra keys were not compromised :-p"

At least it's more of a problem with GitHub than with Gentoo.

"the first week Microsoft buys github they attack gentoo" -some irrational linux nerd

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

has anyone played with one of these? https://github.com/whid-injector/WHID

thanks for the book rec's btw I will be getting Kingpin and Cuckoo's Egg shortly...

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 29, 2018

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Mustache Ride posted:

Elastic means the timeline is always hosed. If you're able to have Enterprise level data following into it and it won't crash hilariously every other day, we need to talk.

I guess Loggly makes it work for their product. I've otherwise never seen it work beyond "I guess this is OK sometimes"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What I've found is that if you have a support team that can keep it up and running constantly, then it'll work fine.

But most security orgs can't waste manpower on cluster support, and it's still not integrated into most orgs enough for a separate infrastructure group to keep it running unless you're very very lucky.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

We're in a situation where we have seasonal load for our border firewall traffic and we're in a down cycle. We're logging all inbound drops to Splunk at the moment and we're going to blow through our license in a spectacular manner once the next cycle hits. The people running the service are just sorta sitting there fretting about it but not actually doing any load shedding and are trying to play chicken with the execs to get more money for more ingest license. Apparently the border firewall accounts for about half our ingest rate and drops are a huge portion of those. The ops people don't want to lose visibility, but the vast majority of those are coming from garbage ISPs full of crap that nobody cares about. My thought as a compromise position was to import SpamHaus or whoever's RBL in to a deny rule one above the default deny with no logging to load shed a bunch of poo poo that we don't care about, and even that they are iffy on.

It's an incredibly stupid situation and I am trying to steer these children away from impending doom and likely getting their asses fired for not doing due diligence and if anyone has dealt with something similar and can weigh in on border firewall log load shedding tactics I would love to have someone else involved with this.

Honestly importing the RBL seems like an incredibly shotgun approach to solve the problem, but if the ops people are giving you literally nothing to work with and the other dudes are just sitting on their thumbs, then it seems pretty reasonable.

fake edit: Probably push this cause it's easy?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

So I tried running the Spamhaus drop list against it but apparently someone upstream of me is already null routing that traffic so there was no overlap. I've moved on taking on the entire list of registered and common service ports and picking/choosing which ones I want (services I know we run, other things we may not want but maybe want drop stats for DDoS/attack campaign awareness or whatever) which dropped all the ephemeral range poo poo, games, bunch of other non-registered ports and that cuts the border log ingest down to about 1/4 of its previous size which is great. It's a pretty conservative list too, with way more stuff thrown in than we probably want. That should be enough to fix the immediate issue without losing any real ops visibility.

It turns out that spending hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to ingest loving nmap scans is a bad use of security resources.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

It turns out that spending hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to ingest loving nmap scans is a bad use of security resources.

loving amen.

Also good to hear the painful process (as it always is) was the right one. Do you get to tell ops to pound sand now and fix it themselves next time?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

my bitter bi rival posted:

I just finished Spam Nation and enjoyed reading it. Does anyone have any recommendations for other narrative-based books about hacking or security? Surveillance Valley is also on my list.

It's not hacking or security per say but I feel anybody working in IT/networking/computers should read The Master Switch.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

On the other hand: holy poo poo, are companies doing this? That's money that could go in my pocket for basically nothing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Volguus posted:

On the other hand: holy poo poo, are companies doing this? That's money that could go in my pocket for basically nothing.

We're trying to use it as a "big data" platform which the license model does not support in any way.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Has anyone run into an issue with gpg2 where it will not decrypt files because it cannot read in a passphrase with pinentry? The gpg2 commands work fine on root but one one of my profiles always fails the decrypt command stating that the private key does not have a passphrase when in fact it does. I have a feeling its some sort of permissions issue but I can't seem to figure out what that is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/1014211658128822272

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Those of us who were paying attention when they got bought out expected this, and switched to the fork Stylus instead.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Those of us who were paying attention when they got bought out expected this, and switched to the fork Stylus instead.
Then shouldn't those of you who were paying attention have said something?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

So I tried running the Spamhaus drop list against it but apparently someone upstream of me is already null routing that traffic so there was no overlap. I've moved on taking on the entire list of registered and common service ports and picking/choosing which ones I want (services I know we run, other things we may not want but maybe want drop stats for DDoS/attack campaign awareness or whatever) which dropped all the ephemeral range poo poo, games, bunch of other non-registered ports and that cuts the border log ingest down to about 1/4 of its previous size which is great. It's a pretty conservative list too, with way more stuff thrown in than we probably want. That should be enough to fix the immediate issue without losing any real ops visibility.

You’re going to get fired when the number of attacks prevented executive metric drops 75%.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Its going to go to 0% when we blow through our license so I will take my chances.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Turns out Strava wasn't the only opsec disaster app out there: https://www.bellingcat.com/resources/articles/2018/07/08/strava-polar-revealing-homes-soldiers-spies/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This was painfully obvious to everyone with 2 brain cells when the strava thing hit. It was an opsec issue, not a strava one.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

its an issue with both, finding more public data sources for this is p great for osint

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

This was painfully obvious to everyone with 2 brain cells when the strava thing hit. It was an opsec issue, not a strava one.

Yeah well why didn't you take your two brain cells and write a detailed research piece about it instead of posting in retrospect like a lovely Nostradamus. Also I never said it wasn't an opsec issue?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

Yeah well why didn't you take your two brain cells and write a detailed research piece about it instead of posting in retrospect like a lovely Nostradamus. Also I never said it wasn't an opsec issue?
A bunch of people smarter than both of us did exactly this after the strava thing. Also please calm down.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I was just posting a thing that I thought people might enjoy reading. Also posted the same thing in the secfuck thread in case you want to throw your weight around there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I enjoyed reading it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

A bunch of people smarter than both of us did exactly this after the strava thing. Also please calm down.
yeah this is the reality after all of their procedures have been put into practice

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have the same hot take as I did when Strava was in the news for the same thing.

If keeping your location secret is a part of your job, then maybe don't use services whose entire purpose is to share your location.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Fool posted:

If keeping your location secret is a part of your job, then maybe don't use services whose entire purpose is to share your location.

calm down nostradamus

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Ah, but that old, hosed up place... the crossroads of “too important to be bothered” and “to uninformed to care” with “can’t rub two logical brain cells together.”

Any one is potentially dangerous. However, at least two together are required for high level command.

(Waay off topic, but there’s the ever-present, “You mean the thing is going to be listening to me all day?” “No, it’s telepathic.”

Same logic application. A GPS that... tracks position globally? Nevertheless, they get used. I wonder if an even an Echo would actually fly with such folk, given the striking absence of 1+2=3 conclusion drawing ability.)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
mad about strava

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just seems sensible to not make all runs public by default, and to not link all 'anonymous' exercises up to each other.

But I agree that wearing a GPS tracker when you're doing stuff that presumably requires clearance is also fairly dumb, and I'm surprised that the various agencies didn't act when the Strava thing first came out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Just seems sensible to not make all runs public by default, and to not link all 'anonymous' exercises up to each other.
Can't sell the data to munis if you do that. Also can't have growth-inducing social features. TELL YER FWIENDS

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If this thread has taught me anything its that I should never get into infosec or i'll be abrasive and mad all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds about right.