Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Heartcatch posted:

I've never played Overwatch.

I don't even own an Overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Heartcatch posted:

It's like TF2 without the hackers and blackmarket trading and hackers trying to hack your blackmarket trading.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Heartcatch posted:

it’s like eating a bowl of just lucky charms marshmellows with mountain dew for milk

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's fun

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how long until i can 3d print a house for my hamster that looks like the overwatch mouse ball

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Heartcatch posted:

I played during a free weekend and its definitely not for me but I get why people liek it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

oddium posted:

it’s like eating a bowl of just lucky charms marshmellows with mountain dew for milk

I only eat oatmeal in the mornings like a properly grumpy curmudgeon, thankfully.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

how long until i can 3d print a house for my hamster that looks like the overwatch mouse ball
probably like yesterday

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Heartcatch posted:

I only eat oatmeal in the mornings like a properly grumpy curmudgeon, thankfully.

Dinosaur Eggs or Sea Adventures

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

i dunno, i can tolerate it well enough and sickly sugar sweet videogames are more poisonous than zanzibar hamsters to cowcasters

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

thank you to firstaidkite for the assist on this joke which i would not have been able to think of on my own

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Overwatch is fun. They release new gameplay modes and maps every other month for free and full new characters three times a year for free and they actively try to address things like online toxicity, inclusion, and communication.

It's always been silly with storylines and character backstories either tongue-in-cheek melodramatic or straight up silly fun. The most serious plot lines in Overwatch amount to Agent Calhoun's "Most Tragic Backstory" in Wreck It Ralph. It's all just goofy comic book or Saturday morning cartoon camp, which is what Blizzard is good at.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i really don't like the "it's just a Saturday morning cartoon" defense

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what is there to defend

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Looper posted:

ok

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Looper posted:

would "it's just an 80's Saturday morning cartoon" sound better or is the problem something else

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It's ok to like something or not like it and you don't have to like or dislike everything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's not like Overwatch is a Story Game where you have to sit through a lot of cutscenes and the cartoony nature of everything makes them unbearable or something like that. I get wanting to care at least a little about the lore, sure, but it's generally unobtrusive. If the problem is that the characters' themes are too clashing for you to find the rest of the game fun then I dunno :shrug:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i picked up planescape torment on steam sale and i can tell i'm gonna like it

i might pick up one more game for $10-15 before it's over but i haven't decided what yet

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyway Splatoon is better than Overwatch and its lore is very deep and good so play that instead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Overwatch presents an optimistic and egalitarian vision of the future where all sentient beings -- men, women, and robots -- all have some fine juicy asses.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you misunderstood, all men women and robots in overwatch have wet butts

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh MAN you know what is fun in Witcher 3 that entire Dandelion detour godfuckingdamn

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

speaking of wet butt it’s gonna be like 90+ degrees for a week 😩

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Splatoon 2, and Rainbow Six Siege are the best competitive games.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Oh MAN you know what is fun in Witcher 3 that entire Dandelion detour godfuckingdamn

This is where I put W3 down for like a year+. I need to go back and play it again but I'll probably just start over.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Splatoon isn't on any platform I have (pc) so I can't play it :<

PC has quake champions though, so it's ok I guess.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1012659916941635585

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i spent my time swapping back and forth from doing novigrad and the bloody baron's quest with even a pinch of skellige in witcher 3 so i think it passed me by less intrusively than for most people

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Y'all gonna make me try Quake Champions again aren't you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Splatoon 2, and Rainbow Six Siege are the best competitive games.

splatoon 2 is probably good competition in LAN but the p2p connection makes online competition a complete joke if you dont live in japan. i mean i love it but whoof!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

would "it's just an 80's Saturday morning cartoon" sound better or is the problem something else

nah it's like saying "we shouldn't have standards for this" instead of "it's bad"

so come to think of it, maybe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

Y'all gonna make me try Quake Champions again aren't you.

Its better now even though you have spend 3 minutes looking at menus in between each match so they can upsell you on lootboxes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i miss fish girl

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

splatoon 2 is probably good competition in LAN but the p2p connection makes online competition a complete joke if you dont live in japan. i mean i love it but whoof!

I don't agree with this, i've had zero issues with the online competition.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What is this "holding hands"?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Planescape torment holds up iff you set the difficulty to easy and avoid combat at all costs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I don't agree with this, i've had zero issues with the online competition.

The amount of lag is pretty tremendous even in good connections, and god help if you get a bad one. It's still fun but it's difficult to consider a situation like that "competitive" in any real sense.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

you misunderstood, all men women and robots in overwatch have wet butts

Max wisdom

e: I meant to quote the Planescape post but this works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1012625516527079424?s=19

• Locked thread