Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Wafflecopper posted:

Surely a bucket of hot water would have done the trick then. No need for power to heat it, she had a fire going.

Maybe that was her next step, but then she slipped :v:

How far was she really going to get in a sports car, anyway? The whole episode was desperation. The black dog was death, only when she finally called for help did it go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao very much glad I fell off after episode 2. Season sounds like it might sit better when I can watch em at my own pace.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I wanted so badly for her to take the loving shot :(

Beef Woman
Jun 22, 2007

A real human bean

Wafflecopper posted:

Surely a bucket of hot water would have done the trick then. No need for power to heat it, she had a fire going.

She was also in labor. I think that that, combined with the fall, gave her a big case of "gently caress-it-itis."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just go with it and let yourself buy in. Headcanon that it's the year 2155 or whatever if it helps. Personally I think something not unlike Gilead could come about in another decade or two with radical upheavals to help it along-- but I think a nascent American theocratic state would be more "Southern Baptist" in character.
The problem is that they've shown it as being insanely rapid. It seems to go from indistinguishable from reality to "women aren't allowed bank accounts" to full on theocracy in a matter of weeks. And no one sees any sign of it coming.

Tortuga posted:

Some tips for when you're playing as Offred:
So it wasn't just me who thought this episode felt like a Telltale adventure game?

Crow Jane posted:

She went in through like a side door, and I think the garage door was electric and the power was cut. Or at least that's how I read it.
I'm pretty sure those doors have manual overrides so they can be opened in the event of power failure. It did seem later on when she had the shovel that maybe it was frozen shut, but that certainly wasn't apparent at first, it seemed like she was just trying to open it wrong.

Angrymantium posted:

Despite all that, it's hard to believe how directionless this show manages to be. The colonies went nowhere, Emily got an entire episode before being almost completely forgotten by the writers, and the loving main character spends an episode grimacing in pain and virtually nothing else. This season could be half as long and accomplished just as much, and is only really kept alive by the acting.
Yeah, I really don't think I'll be watching the next season, because absolutely nothing happened in this one. Every time it seems like they're going to shake things up they just go right back to the status quo at the earliest possible opportunity.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Now I want to play The Long Dark as a pregnant woman.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure those doors have manual overrides so they can be opened in the event of power failure. It did seem later on when she had the shovel that maybe it was frozen shut, but that certainly wasn't apparent at first, it seemed like she was just trying to open it wrong.

The manual override is the red cord. You pull down, and it disengages the door from the automatic system. It's the first thing June tried.

They could have shot that scene more clearly, but now that I think about it, this show doesn't seem to do a lot of, like, detail shots where the camera cuts in on something for a second so you can see what's up.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 28, 2018

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tiggum posted:

So it wasn't just me who thought this episode felt like a Telltale adventure game?

It reminded me of scavenging a house in Fallout.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
The last 5-6ish episodes were so intense and good and then this one botched it hard.

The only really good part was when the Commander and Serena showed up at the house. That was genuinely tense and really well acted and put together.

And in the end I felt like the episode was pretty much June giving birth and her looting that mansion like she was in a Bethesda game.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
June giving birth is kind of a big deal, though.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The writers single rule for Handmaid's Tale- "June cannot WIN"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Got in my time machine and I'm bringing you future spoilers:

The Handmaid's Tale, S7E5 plot synopsis

The Handmaids are visited by champion surfer, played by actor Denny Miller. Yes, he can surf off Gilead and get back to Canada, but the muscular surfer has eyed the voluptuous Offred and the innocent hottie Ofglen. The girls respond in kind. After all, after several months of nothing but the Commanders, the Marthas, and the Wives, wouldn't you, ladies? But soon the ladies realize that they must act disinterested or the surfer dude will never want to leave. So Ofglen and Offred feign indifference to muscle boy (after initially drooling over his physique) and he decides to surf back to Canada. And he makes it -with one caveat. Surfer boy hits his head on a rock, gets amnesia, and can't remember any of the Handmaids or his experiences with them.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I blamed June being unable to operate basic garage door as labor brain. Both times my wife was in labor it was like she was high as gently caress. Very scatter brained, even watching her do basic poo poo was like watching a child trying to open a door with a child lock on it. Also, man that was probably the most realistic labor I've ever seen in a TV show, was giving my flashbacks to my son and daughter being born.

Also this show would be 1000% better if June had shot the commander and his wife.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 28, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I blamed June being unable to operate basic garage door as labor brain. Both times my wife was in labor it was like she was high as gently caress. Very scatter brained, even watching her do basic poo poo was like watching a child trying to open a door with a child lock on it. Also, man that was probably the most realistic labor I've ever seen in a TV show, was giving my flashbacks to my son and daughter being born.

It's also possible she'd just never had to deal with a garage like that before, from what the show's told us she's lived in urban apartments all her life.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Jane posted:

It's also possible she'd just never had to deal with a garage like that before, from what the show's told us she's lived in urban apartments all her life.

That makes sense also. This is probably my favorite episode because of how closely it mirrored watching my wife in labor with our son in terms of like, it was winter and cold outside, she was having a ton of trouble operating our printer and her water broke while she was trying to print out something for the midwife, getting clothes and baby things and snacks ready to go to the midwife, my own anxiety worrying about the whole ordeal. It was pretty great.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Also, man that was probably the most realistic labor I've ever seen in a TV show, was giving my flashbacks to my son and daughter being born.

I'm due (with my second) in 5 weeks. Watching the birth scene was me going "oh nooooo" internally. Birth amnesia is a real thing.

From a storytelling standpoint they really need to give the audience a decent "win" soon. The last real win they've given was the getting kicked out of Canada sequence and that feels like it was ages ago with how intense things have been.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is labor brain similar to bubble gut tunnel vision where all that matters in the world is finding a bathroom?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

Is labor brain similar to bubble gut tunnel vision where all that matters in the world is finding a bathroom?

my wife compared it to being on acid

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Also this show would be 1000% better if June had shot the commander and his wife.

It didn't look like a very good shot. Even if it was, June was obviously uncomfortable holding the rifle.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

It didn't look like a very good shot. Even if it was, June was obviously uncomfortable holding the rifle.

I don't know much about guns. Don't shotguns have a lot of shot and a big spread so you don't have to aim too precisely?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'll give this show a bit of credit for the Moria surrogacy flashback and not being completely hypocritical about female identity and motherhood.

Which isn't to say this show doesn't have a ton of "look how great mothers and being a mother and having a baby is!" propaganda but it's typically a lot more "Oh there's one token friend who doesn't want a kid because of her career or free spirit...but it's totally because she hasn't met the right guy yet!"

It's one of those things that Hollywood always tends to slant ridiculously right-wing on. Of course the character that rejects the idea of wanting to be a mother would be a lesbian but that's another matter.

Either way, it's very believable to me that Serena would feel a tremendous inadequacy from being unable to have a child, but it's also a bit flimsy that her recourse to being unable to conceive is that she would go along with Fred's regressive plan or that she would agree to his plan in exchange for him getting her pregnant.

If this show spent less time focusing on characters giving each other death stares, Moss making faces into the camera, and patting itself on the back for portraying another social issue in a dystopic way, we could actually have some background about the society that would make you feel the ramifications of the negative birthrate and might have given the Serena character some meaningful depth. Instead it's a line that we should feel is really motivating and powerful but in the context of what we've seen and the timeline of the show isn't really all that potent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Moss making faces on camera is pretty much the only reason I'm still watching though.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm still captivated by every episode tbh, but it's dawned on me that it's only because of the excellence of all the actors. If asked, I couldn't even describe the plot beyond "this lady wants to escape".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know much about guns. Don't shotguns have a lot of shot and a big spread so you don't have to aim too precisely?

If they're doing that as opposed to firing slugs they're rather less likely to be lethal to humans afaik

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Tortuga posted:

I'm still captivated by every episode tbh, but it's dawned on me that it's only because of the excellence of all the actors. If asked, I couldn't even describe the plot beyond "this lady wants to escape".

It's just so loving stunning to look at too. Like a really pretty, but still totally hosed up and weird, Odd Nerdrum painting.

I'm holding back on judging this season too harshly until I see all of it together - I kinda feel like bingeing it may suit it a little better than watching week-to-week

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The whole ‘you raped her yesterday!’ ‘That was your idea!’ thing felt like surreal sketch comedy.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

PostNouveau posted:

Without posting a bunch of boring crap I'll say that you are partially right. Being shot with a shotgun at close range will shred you like pulled pork. Being shot with a shotgun from twenty feet away, which is about how far away june was, will not feel great by any means but would be a crapshoot, hahaha, as far as incapacitation goes.

Basically if she had tried to shoot them from up there, best case scenario is she is able to get closer and shoot them again. But more likely you're just alerting them that you're there and that you have a weapon.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

thrilla in vanilla posted:

But more likely you're just alerting them that you're there and that you have a weapon.

That's really all it'd do? I'm no gun expert either, but I've seen what shotguns do to ducks at much longer distances than that, and while I know that humans are a lot tougher than ducks, you're gonna have a lot of pellets in you. Even if it's not lethal, I'd be surpised you'd be in any condition to pose a threat to anyone afterwards. Especially the Commander who's only just started walking unaided again after his last injury.

Then again the way June was holding the shotgun unbraced when she fired it into the air and didn't show much sign of noticing any recoil, let alone ending up on her arse, maybe that was a low-powered gun. More likely just a case of TV though.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 29, 2018

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Shotguns have a substantial amount of variation in their ammunition compared to other weapons, this then affects their lethality against humans. I think in TV/film/games they're typically presented with a buckshot-style load, which would have been very lethal from her position. Thematically you could easily expect it to be birdshot though, which would range from also lethal to just messing up your skin depending on the shot size.

Loomer posted:

The whole ‘you raped her yesterday!’ ‘That was your idea!’ thing felt like surreal sketch comedy.

Yeah, agreed.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Let's discuss calibres to the nearest thousandths of an inch and muzzle velocities. There is zero merit to any piece of fiction unless full ballistic realism is demonstrated.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The Handmaid's Tale: How do the bullets work?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pocket Billiards posted:

Let's discuss calibres to the nearest thousandths of an inch and muzzle velocities. There is zero merit to any piece of fiction unless full ballistic realism is demonstrated.

Nobody was doing that.

This season has decimated any faith I have in the writers' room, though, so while this is a fascinating discussion I think the only point of that scene was to show June thinking about it, getting kind of close, and concluding that it would be a stupid move for idiots, or at least a stupid move for her. Which it would have been.

That said, riflechat is far, far more interesting than anything else that happened this week so I'm all for it.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
On a somewhat related note, I had a hankering to watch Gypsy the other night. The one on prime (and netflix I think) is the one with Bette Midler that was done in the early 90s. Soon as the movie started I was like wait, that kid looks like Elizabeth Moss.

And yes, it very much is Elizabeth Moss as young Louise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I think the only point of that scene was to show June thinking about it, getting kind of close, and concluding that it would be a stupid move for idiots, or at least a stupid move for her. Which it would have been.

I agree you're just supposed to take it as a lethal option. Now WHY she decided not to do it, I dunno I think she might have had a "killing people is wrong" moment rather than "killing them will hinder my escape." Although, this was before she found out she couldn't get the car out, right? I wonder if she would have killed them if she'd known their car was the only one she'd have a chance at getting.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

How far would she have gotten, though, realistically? She didn't really know where she was, she didn't have much of a plan in place, and she still has the tracking device on her ear. Hell, as far as we know women aren't even allowed to drive in Gilead. And if she tried to escape (again) and got caught, I imagine the consequences would be a lot worse if you threw a double murder into the mix.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She may have gotten farther than you think. New England is a small place, let alone Eastern Massachusetts. Wherever the hell the house was, it was somewhere in there if not even further north in New Hampshire somewhere. From there to the Canadian border is roughly a 3.5-4 hour drive.

Keep in mind that nobody knows where June is except for her daughter, that Martha, and their Gilead thug, and the Waterford household is the only place that knows she's missing. If she gets that car out of the garage, June has plenty of time to make it.

My concerns, like yours, are more along the lines of being spotted as a female driver, or being spotted driving in any amount of red garb, or running out of gas, or (most likely) running into a routine Gilead checkpoint within about a half hour.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Crow Jane posted:

How far would she have gotten, though, realistically? She didn't really know where she was, she didn't have much of a plan in place, and she still has the tracking device on her ear. Hell, as far as we know women aren't even allowed to drive in Gilead. And if she tried to escape (again) and got caught, I imagine the consequences would be a lot worse if you threw a double murder into the mix.

I certainly get the sense that women are not allowed to drive in Gilead. They cant read, so I mean...driving seems like it is also off the table.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I thought they were building to something with all her promises to her future baby and Hannah asking her why she didn't try harder and that scene of Hannah's first day at school where June is sad to leave her then and in the present is coming to grips with having to leave her in Gilead now.

The barriers to her escape are good opportunities for the hero to overcome obstacles. I thought it was leading up to June, in labor, ramming through a border checkpoint or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Big enough that she probably would have hit them. Not sure if it would have killed them or just got a bunch of pellets stuck in Fred though. I was shooting a similar shotgun a few weeks ago and was surprised at how weak it seemed at even a fairly short distance. Maybe someone who knows more about guns than I do can answer that better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

My concerns, like yours, are more along the lines of being spotted as a female driver, or being spotted driving in any amount of red garb, or running out of gas, or (most likely) running into a routine Gilead checkpoint within about a half hour.

For a second I though June going through closets and looking for the mans wardrobe meant that she was gonna try and dress like a man to drive around (which I guess would only work if people spotted her in the car from a distance); but then it was clear she was just cold.

This also doesnt take into account that a RWD sports car would get absolutely nowhere in 2 feet of snow.

• Locked thread