Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I can't quite make it out... was it disguised as a shadow or was that just a geometry clipping issue? Because if it was the former... :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I hope Arkane sees this so they can introduce Shadow Mimics

I have relook at the footage but looks like it? Or it was some sort of instrument

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 29, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How common is the bug where entire areas get reset complete with loot and quests? I encountered this issue after backtracking with the psychoscope and I'm going to start over.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Trying to get both the "No neuromods" and the "Kill everyone" achievements at the same time, on Hard, may have been a bad idea.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
My NG+ run seems to have bugged out somehow. I've gone nuts with Typhon mods, and the turrets don't regard me as some horrid abomination that needs to be shot full of holes all of a sudden anymore. :shrug:

Kind of glad actually, reduces the tedious hacking I have to do. :toot: Another fun thing I realized about NG+ is that you're basically swimming in resources compared to a normal run, because you're not jamming neuromods into your brain like a pincushion as you would in a average fresh run. :homebrew:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It was kind of funny on NG+ when I set up a turret to cover my office entrance per usual then installed all my neuromods and walked out of my office into the firing squad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember right, I think that any turrets you place (or operators you summon) will consider you a friend no matter how much typhon stuff you have jammed into your eyeballs. Obviously if you add stuff afterwards that can change, but I think they'll take your state upon creation as a default "friendly".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Even adding stuff after the turret squad outside my office was fine. Hacked once and they're fine forever. New ones count as hacked.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, I think that any turrets you place (or operators you summon) will consider you a friend no matter how much typhon stuff you have jammed into your eyeballs. Obviously if you add stuff afterwards that can change, but I think they'll take your state upon creation as a default "friendly".
Sure, but most standard playthroughs you’ll have hacked turrets well before you amass enough typhon power to get painted as a bad dude, thus negating any danger the turrets might have posed.* That probably won’t happen on NG+.

The whole turret reversal thing was a fun concept that never really worked half as well as it should have (and it’s a credit to Prey that this doesn’t actually hurt it much). They should have had more traditional Deus Ex-style stationary security systems that would wreck your poo poo. Or at the very least, stronger turrets that could have presented an actual viable strategy against not-mimics.

* it’s imminently reasonable to assume players will hack anything they can even when the benefits aren’t readily apparent. The hacking game isn’t awful, at least.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 29, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Trip report Day 4

I explored the garden and Alex's office. I decided not go to Talos lobby because its overrun with etheric phantoms. A lot of them. At least 5-6'

I was in pretty rough shape until I realized there was a Med Bay next to the lift. At first I couldnt figure out how to get to Alex's office until I saw the tree which was perfect for some GLOO.

So I found a recording from Morgan telling about the escape pod. Very confusing. Who is Morgan or who are we? I guess we will find out.

The greenhouse was tricky. Then I realized stun gun is harmless against humans so teleported around with Phantom Shift and blasted the giant flowing brain with just about everything, anti psi grenades, stun gun, shotgun and finished it off with a full pistol mag. Managed to save two people. Yay.

I entered the Crew Quarters. I got lots of keys so I'm ready to plunder everyone's belongings

Nightmare spawned right in front of the door killing me instantly. Several tries later I manage to hide in the cinema. Couple of human goons follow me but I stun them quietly.

Then this happened

https://youtu.be/KDNb1rbByNk

I managed to lose the nightmare by hiding the same spot until the game finds another creative way to kill me moments later.

https://youtu.be/IjVxFLcmhJs

I might post some progress later this day but then I'm taking a few days off. Cant wait to play more though.

I love how Talos resembles your typical office work culture. Seemingly perfect on the outside but once you start peeling away the layers, all kinds of shady stuff becomes apparent.

Ive been hoarding my materials but havent used them alot. One poster said neuromods. Should I just create bunch of those?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 29, 2018

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes jam as many neuromods into your head as possible.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I just started replaying this game. This time, different to my last run, filled to the brim with delicious Typhon brain juice. I get to Psychotronics and save the volunteer, and then I go back and seal the hull breach to reach the exotic material storage.

Turns out that releases a bunch of pissed-off phantoms that immediately start killing the volunteer! That guy immediately starts booking it - thankfully I had already blocked all the fire in his path -, with the phantoms in hot pursuit. I see them both coming, and I start aiming a Kinetic Blast to hurl the phantom away and keep its blast from hitting the volunteer -

And the motherfucker decides the best way of fleeing the scene is heading straight at me, right into my line of sight. He expertly catches a full-force Kinetic Blast with his teeth, inches from my face, launching us both into the wall, breaking all the pipes, unleashing flames all over me, and murdering the volunteer instantly. I am then hit by the phantom's own blast for good measure. I do survive, and proceed to shotgun the phantom away, but man.

Cue January phoning me up - "Did you hesitate, at all?"

gently caress you, January

Of all the fuckups involved in that disaster, of everyone in this station, for some reason, gently caress you, January

gently caress you the most

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Does using the escape key I found in the executives office count as an end? Im kinda curious what happens

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
If it's the one for that escape pod up on top (if that makes sense) you can use it for a real quick failure ending thing. I think you get an achievement for it. Just maybe save before you do it. I don't remember it spoiling stuff or anything crazy like that.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

mods change my name posted:

If it's the one for that escape pod up on top (if that makes sense) you can use it for a real quick failure ending thing. I think you get an achievement for it. Just maybe save before you do it. I don't remember it spoiling stuff or anything crazy like that.

There is one line that is only slightly spoilery because it doesn't make sense if you haven't finished the game yet, but otherwise you're exactly right. There are a few goodies up there at least.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Trip report Day 4 appendix

I spent most of the day in the crew quarters looting all the personal belongings. I even found a golden gun that seems like a slightly more powerful pistol.

So I ran into the cook. He seemed off but at least I found the infamous beam cannon for my troubles.

Found the escape pod by building a bridge of GOO and uh, I'm not sure what to make of that. Or maybe I can. We'll see.

I feel pretty powerful now. I can shut down psi powers, psi blast and beam everything with the cannon. I bought the lift field because it was cheap and it might be useful in trapping enemies.

The nightmare is a really terrible mechanic imo. Its AI is very limited and when it appears it usually means I have to just stop playing for 2 minutes.

It also seems I'm trapped in the next area. Oh well, I might be able to pick up my superfruit from the greenhouse later. I wonder what it does?

I have a healthy supply of almost everything except medkits. Im terrible at avoiding dmg. I'll just have to play more carefully now.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Golden gun is better than standard pistol. It upgrades better, st least.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

bef posted:

Man what a game. had no idea this was a system shock-lite and saw it was $15 on steam. that ending is as trippy (if not moreso) than the beginning..Would love to see a sequel but i'm doubtful they are going to do one with lack of sales from this title

Nice to hear how good Mooncrash is. I'm still a bit on the fence of buying it but the overall gameplay of the initial game is pretty fun and i love roguelikes so maybe i'll cop it one day. definitely liked this game moreso than Dishonored 1 and Deus Ex HR

I finally came around starting to play Mooncrash the other day. It's amazing. It first struck me as a very odd way of creating an addon for an immersive game such as Prey, but it works perfectly and really adds a totally different layer to the main game.

Arkane really does know outstanding game design.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bogart posted:

Golden gun is better than standard pistol. It upgrades better, st least.
IIRC It's slightly better than a normal pistol when both aren't upgraded, and it takes fewer upgrade kits to max out.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zereth posted:

IIRC It's slightly better than a normal pistol when both aren't upgraded, and it takes fewer upgrade kits to max out.

What's up with the damage stats in the inventory? I didn't use the pistols more recently, but when I installed prey the first time, the golden pistol had less damage (in the inventory). Does it upgrade higher, or was it a bug?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What's up with the damage stats in the inventory? I didn't use the pistols more recently, but when I installed prey the first time, the golden pistol had less damage (in the inventory). Does it upgrade higher, or was it a bug?

it upgrades higher IIRC

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Trip report Day 4 appendix

The nightmare is a really terrible mechanic imo. Its AI is very limited and when it appears it usually means I have to just stop playing for 2 minutes.

There’s a solution for that!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I just qbeam that dummy

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

put him in the queue

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

I have a healthy supply of almost everything

Everything in this game can be recycled.

EVERYTHING.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Had to play some more Prey before going to sleep yesterday so here's what happened:

Went to deep storage. Nothing too special. Tried my Q beam for the first time on a technopath and a weaver. Ran out of ammo but it was worth it. These guys are tough to fight in the open.

More flashbacks. Still in the dark what it means but something clearly happened to Morgan besides neuromod amnesia? I'm playing as a female Morgan btw and I like the brother-sister dynamic. Morgan is the clearly the favorite child while Alex is trying to live up to his family name.

More space walking. I appreciate that you dont have to fight any tough enemies in zero G... at least yet.

So I finally entered Cargo Bay and met some people there. The chief asked me to space walk for fabricator plans. Screw that. I repaired couple of guns for them and just opened the door for phantoms.

Also the game has severe audio issues. I could hear 3 people speaking at the same time.

I noticed I couldve potentially skipped helping the chief if I bypassed the unpowered doors. That wouldve been interesting.

Still running low on medkits. I tried psi lift on phantoms. Its amazing. Its cheap and lets you unload a whole mag on them.

Will be back for more on Sunday.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 30, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This space station is filled with lesbians.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
how else do you think anything gets done

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So I finally did the Volunteer's story mission. :ohdear:

All that's left now is the Director's story mission and I'm complete, but I wanted to clear through the other achievements first: I think everything should hit at once as I finish the game, except for Galaxy Brain which is gonna take some time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I sincerely regret not neutralizing Will Mitchell at the first opportunity, because he never shuts up with his loving annoying accent.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
gently caress man why can't i get into moonbase :(

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just beat this. Incredible game imo.

Questions about the ending: I saved everyone, incapped Dahl, blew up the station and escaped on the ship. I got the after credits scene where Alex reveals that you're an alien and they've been trying to do mirror neuron simulations or whatever. I know the ending is probably different if you use the nullwave, but is there like a super secret ending that reveals more about the ending, or is this pretty much it? Also, I noticed that during the ending and the intro there were really rapid frame cuts to something. I was never quick enough to take a screenshot of it, what are they?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

fadam posted:

Questions about the ending: I saved everyone, incapped Dahl, blew up the station and escaped on the ship. I got the after credits scene where Alex reveals that you're an alien and they've been trying to do mirror neuron simulations or whatever. I know the ending is probably different if you use the nullwave, but is there like a super secret ending that reveals more about the ending, or is this pretty much it? Also, I noticed that during the ending and the intro there were really rapid frame cuts to something. I was never quick enough to take a screenshot of it, what are they?

the frame cut at the end is a bunch of operators staring at you just like you are right now but in a dimly light room. Apparently Alex is there too to the right but you can't see him initially. I'm assuming this means you are in a simulation during the big reveal just in case the mimic wants to misbehave ;)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Whoa

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Just finished the last mission in Mooncrash and during the explosion I was bumped outside the satelite through the wall, and the game saved. Now I can't finish the game and just suffocate in space any time I reload the only available save. Apparently there's no dev console or anything either so I have to play through the whole thing again in a new save to get the ending :( Do not climb in the bunk while listening to the last transmission!

Great DLC other than that though!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just started playing this

I just got the psychoscope and holy gently caress okay i can tell this is gonna be a good game

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

fadam posted:

Ending spoilers: Nope, all endings play out the same way. The nullwave plays a different cutscene prior to the operator sequence but that's about it. The only major difference is if you kill everyone, in which case the team opts to murder you instead of set you free.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Thanks for the guy who said you can recycle everything.

I just realized I can recycle excess weapons and alcohol I have no need for. Helped me craft some bullets as I was running low. Will post my current progress later.

Is phantom genesis or whats it called useful? Apparently it only works if you find human corpses

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

well i mean, there's quite a lot of dead people around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Thanks for the guy who said you can recycle everything.

I just realized I can recycle excess weapons and alcohol I have no need for. Helped me craft some bullets as I was running low. Will post my current progress later.

Is phantom genesis or whats it called useful? Apparently it only works if you find human corpses

If you're far enough into the game that you can ask that question, it's no longer relevant. You've beaten the hard parts of the game, and you are more experienced than you were back then.

The better question is: Does phantom genesis sounds sufficiently rad?