Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also Centurion is the worst hero in the game. I'd rather fight a sea of a thousand Orochis than one Centurion that knows his combo. It's loving absurd that they released him with a nigh-uninterruptable combo that deals 100 HP in damage and depletes your entire stamina bar afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

dogstile posted:

Does the community still flip their poo poo if I throw them off a ledge like in beta?

Who gives a gently caress? Huckin' someone off a ledge is the great equalizer. I may not be able to feint effectively or parry reliably but if we're within two zipcodes of a ledge you better be sure one of us is gonna go flyin'.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I give a gently caress, because if they do still cry about it, I will be doing it more often

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also Centurion is the worst hero in the game. I'd rather fight a sea of a thousand Orochis than one Centurion that knows his combo. It's loving absurd that they released him with a nigh-uninterruptable combo that deals 100 HP in damage and depletes your entire stamina bar afterward.

He’s one of the worst heroes now, but in classic ubi balance status he rolls over new players but get completely shut down by experienced players. He can only do the kick on a forward dodge and he can only do the confirmed punch into knockdown after a 2nd chain heavy. If you spend some time in the training mode with him you learn cent is very limited on offense. The main thing is to NEVER attempt to parry his heavies. He can vary the timing, and if he catches you with that you eat the heavy, confirmed punch into lockdown, eat the jumping heavy and now you lost half your hp. If you just focus on blocking and not trying to parry he can’t get into that combo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Captain Beans posted:

He’s one of the worst heroes now, but in classic ubi balance status he rolls over new players but get completely shut down by experienced players. He can only do the kick on a forward dodge and he can only do the confirmed punch into knockdown after a 2nd chain heavy. If you spend some time in the training mode with him you learn cent is very limited on offense. The main thing is to NEVER attempt to parry his heavies. He can vary the timing, and if he catches you with that you eat the heavy, confirmed punch into lockdown, eat the jumping heavy and now you lost half your hp. If you just focus on blocking and not trying to parry he can’t get into that combo.

Yeah Cent outside of 4v4 is a defensive character now, in a straight fight his entire game is capitalizing off careless moves or you not knowing what he does, if you know his tricks he deflates a lot.

He'll always be good in 4v4 though for that same reason, he just needs to blindside you in a fight and you're probably done.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Captain Beans posted:

I KNOW what Cent does, man. I KNOW how to counter him. He's still loving ANNOYING. I'm not a machine level player who never makes mistakes and the fact that he punishes a single mistake by wiping out 80% of your health bar and draining all your stamina to set himself up to finish you off is garbage dog poo poo.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Hey speaking about countering annoying people that turn orange way too often, what do I do about Conquerer these days? Fought a couple last night that would do nothing but alternate between GB and shieldbash -> smack, and I got torn to shreds. If I don't have the reaction time to determine which is coming, am I just screwed? The guy was a complete and utter wall every time I tried to go on the offensive, and took zero offensive options outside of the above mentioned ones.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Hey speaking about countering annoying people that turn orange way too often, what do I do about Conquerer these days? Fought a couple last night that would do nothing but alternate between GB and shieldbash -> smack, and I got torn to shreds. If I don't have the reaction time to determine which is coming, am I just screwed? The guy was a complete and utter wall every time I tried to go on the offensive, and took zero offensive options outside of the above mentioned ones.

Shieldbash is unblockable but not hyperarmor. If those are his bad dumb openings, light attack. Conq is ironically bad at being defensive as well, feint into gb if they use defense mode. Feint into parry or guard switch light if they don't.

Also re: Zerk chat last page
You can dodge feint your heavy attacks which usually lets you start a combo or just get a heavy attack in which is better than a parry->light

And ime if people seem good at being defensive, light spam is solid unless you run into the one rear end in a top hat that can parry them reliably or a Raider abusing the guard switch bug.

Edit: Also if you're not in a gear mode, conq has garbage stamina. If he running charges that's half his stamina. And he can't keep up the vortex long, especially if he uses heavy but you should just parry that since it's not confirmed.
In addition, his dodge changes guard stance into the direction he dodges and applies the penalty

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 25, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Babe Magnet posted:

I give a gently caress, because if they do still cry about it, I will be doing it more often

Basically.

I don't play games like this to "honour duel" people. I play this game to stab people in the back, throw them off ledges and guardbreak so my friendly fat guy gets a clear opening for the back breaker move. I'm a dirty POS fighter and i'm happy about it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

dogstile posted:

Basically.

I don't play games like this to "honour duel" people. I play this game to stab people in the back, throw them off ledges and guardbreak so my friendly fat guy gets a clear opening for the back breaker move. I'm a dirty POS fighter and i'm happy about it.

Playing like scum owns. I love that even though I haven't played since release you can still assume Weeb faction players are going to pull the ehonor bullshit and Viking faction will play like scum.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Any organized goon group still around? Picked this up a week ago and been having a blast.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Conq is ironically bad at being defensive as well, feint into gb if they use defense mode. Feint into parry or guard switch light if they don't.

Every feint into gb I tried got countered, every feint I tried (including trying to do some goofy poo poo feinting the raider zone) didn't bait so much as a second glance, and every feint into guard switch light I tried got reacted to. I'm not very good by any means but it was like fighting the terminator.

Nasgate posted:

Playing like scum owns. I love that even though I haven't played since release you can still assume Weeb faction players are going to pull the ehonor bullshit and Viking faction will play like scum.

I'll ledge people that play Shaman all the time, but I hate doing it the rest of the time. Nothin' to do with honor, but tossing someone off a cliff robs me of what could have been a potentially awesome fight.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Main the fat man, and realise half your game in 1v1 involves tossing people into or off of things. Then receive salt anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shockeh posted:

Main the fat man, and realise half your game in 1v1 involves tossing people into or off of things. Then receive salt anyway.

I main Raider and just haul people to and over ledges because it's fun as hell especially when you do it to your opponent in a 2v2 and then sprint over and do it to your teammate's opponent right as they're about to finish the fight.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Every feint into gb I tried got countered, every feint I tried (including trying to do some goofy poo poo feinting the raider zone) didn't bait so much as a second glance, and every feint into guard switch light I tried got reacted to. I'm not very good by any means but it was like fighting the terminator.

I'll ledge people that play Shaman all the time, but I hate doing it the rest of the time. Nothin' to do with honor, but tossing someone off a cliff robs me of what could have been a potentially awesome fight.

sounds like he's not using the defense mode, since you can't Counter GB if you do. Which means he's a gimmicky poo poo. With guys like that either guard break ad naseum until they fail or just stand far away and wait for them to attack or settle for a draw. You could also try a 1/3 switchup by running at him and either attacking, tackling, or gb. but personally with shitlords like that I just make them take draws.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sounds like he didn't try to parry you if he ignored your feints. Go for the feint switchups, not GB.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Aaaaaa why is Raider guardbreak food during the startup of like all of his attacks, but every time I try to grab anybody else I bounce off

This is driving me insane

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
That’s part of why raider is such poo poo tier.

I mean you can still win and have fun with him, but he’s got some big time weaknesses. Slow as hell lights, slow heavies, slow zone, even his soft feints into stunning tap are slower than other characters soft feints.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I'm using an xbox controller to play and I keep having issues with the triggers. The way game interprets a "press" versus a "hold" seems biased towards hold. The problem is that when attempting to parry a hold is an instant failure for characters that can charge their heavies. I'm assuming the very large throw on the trigger is to blame. Is there some config file somewhere that I can mess with to fix this?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I :ninja: "heard" :ninja: that a closed (and NDA'd) technical test about the new gamemode and two chinese heroes will take place next weekend, so people here should probably check their spam folders.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
The fact that the test exists and you’re in it is not under nda from what I read in the email telling me there is a test and I am in it.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Is this game dead on PC? I tried to get into a dominion last weekend but I sat in the queue for like 5 minutes twice even though it said high activity.

Am I missing something?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Is your NAT red or something? The game's always been pretty fine, then after the big announcement and giving the (starter) game away for free it's real lively.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I will have to check that, I want to get shoved into spikes and get mad again

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've had no trouble getting into domination games--it's things like Tribute that take forever to make.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tribute is like the worst part of Dominion made into its own gamemode. No surprise no one would queue for it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tribute is good, it mostly gets rid of the worst part of dominion, being forced to fight on points surrounded by deathtraps which gets boring, by spreading fights around the maps more.

That and it works as a better deathmatch type mode than either of the deathmatch playlist modes, none of the garbage buffs from those barring the minor things from the tributes which are better balanced.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 29, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can pick Dominion maps to minimize the deathtraps. Tribute is basically CTF as far as I'm aware which is just a lot of running away from people, AKA the worst part of Dominion.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alright thread sit down 'cause I'm about to try out a hot take on you:

Parrying is way too easy to do and gives you way too much for free. Literally any new player can pick parries up in less than 30 minutes of practice and become a mid-tier duelist because of how much advantage they give you. The counter to parries, feints, are much, much harder to pull off and harder to capitalize on even if you do pull them off because they are aggressive rather than reactive and require more thought than just "click appropriate attack button for free damage." Ironically, the typical use of feints is just to bait out an attack from your opponent so you can parry it.

Parries are too strong and always have been in FH. Even now that they don't give your opponent a free guard break, they still not only completely shut down your offense but punish you for aggression with a free attack from your opponent, possibly even an entire combo from some characters. The timing on them is very easy to do, especially if you go by the flashing indicators rather than instinct. They have always encouraged boring turtling and made underpowered characters even worse. I think that either parries should be harder to do (perhaps timed like deflects are), or the recovery from being parried should be drastically shortened. I think that canceling your opponent's combo chain is enough of a reward for pulling off a parry, and it shouldn't set up their own retaliatory offense -- you shouldn't get any free attacks off of a parry. You should have to play smart and open up your opponent afterwards. Maybe there could be a slight advantage in that you can't be immediately counter-parried on your next attack.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 1, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i found the berserker player

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The parry window is already the exact same size as the deflect window, 200 ms.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Heavy parries get you a single free light on like every single character. There's what, like two or three that can get a guaranteed followup or combo?

And Imo feints are way easier than parries(press two buttons then do whatever). If anything feints are bad, not parries being too good. If someone feints a lot you just use lights, dodge, a bash, gb, or some combination.

Imo/ime that's why Conq is good, because his psuedo feints and even whiffs have consistent followups.

Light parries on the other hand. Hoo boy you're in for pain if someone can reliably parry those.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nasgate posted:

Conq is good

Opinion discarded

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Conq is one of the best characters in the game right now, after a point they haven't found a way to touch him anymore that doesn't result in him being completely hosed up in some way or another.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Literally any new player can pick parries up in less than 30 minutes of practice and become a mid-tier duelist because of how much advantage they give you. The counter to parries, feints, are much, much harder to pull off and harder to capitalize on even if you do pull them off because they are aggressive rather than reactive and require more thought than just "click appropriate attack button for free damage." Ironically, the typical use of feints is just to bait out an attack from your opponent so you can parry it.

This is the exact design philosophy of the game. Being able to get to mid-tier quickly is "accessibility" in that new players aren't driven off by guys who can just stomp them instantly and can win a few times to build their confidence, skill, and interest. That feints require a bit more skill and practice to use effectively (I personally am terrible at using them) is "depth" and is one of the things that keeps a game interesting, generally. There are a lot of other factors at play and this is just a gross oversimplification to the hottest of takes as far a good design goes (and I'm a fan of a lot of For Honor's design decisions), but I guess I'm arguin' here that by and large parries being relatively easy to pull off is just about as far from a bad thing as you can get.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I picked up the game on sale. is there still a discord? the invite in the op doesn't work.
I've only done the trials so far.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?
Hi I also got this game on sale and am very interested in playing it with other people. Learning the systems and stuff is fun, but watching stuff on youtube makes it clear that playing multiplayer would be a lot more fun than just playing by myself.

I did the trials, the story and have dabbled a bit in online play. I bounced around playing a few different classes, but I've been most interested in Kensei and Shugoki so far. I dunno if those are Bad Dudes but I'm open to any guidance.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Maid posted:

Hi I also got this game on sale and am very interested in playing it with other people. Learning the systems and stuff is fun, but watching stuff on youtube makes it clear that playing multiplayer would be a lot more fun than just playing by myself.

I did the trials, the story and have dabbled a bit in online play. I bounced around playing a few different classes, but I've been most interested in Kensei and Shugoki so far. I dunno if those are Bad Dudes but I'm open to any guidance.

Shugoki apparently has some problems but Kensei is real good and my main right now.

I picked it up on PC when it was free and have been having a blast. Been mostly playing by myself so far but would definitely like some folks to practice with. Add me on uplay as melefred.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kensei is a top tier pick when you get good at his feints and all that, Shugoki is fun but one of those characters they refuse to help because ~he's a 4v4 character~ so he's not allowed to be very good outside of fighting with a teammate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Kensei is a top tier pick when you get good at his feints and all that, Shugoki is fun but one of those characters they refuse to help because ~he's a 4v4 character~ so he's not allowed to be very good outside of fighting with a teammate.

Shugo's not bad in duels you just have to get really good at trading hits. His moveset is just boring as gently caress, which is a shame cuz he has cool aesthetics