Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Let the pillaging of government resources for private business begin! :sadwave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What do you mean begin?

But yeah, I'd be amazed to see LCBO last the next four years.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Okay yeah "let 100% of the resources be looted"*

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm happy to say that it's 1:50pm and I still haven't been thrown into a ethnic minority concentration camp

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Not sure how I feel about "racialized" cause it sounds like something you become after some process is inflicted on you, but that's the word we're using so getting used to it is my problem. That's my story thanks for listening.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
How about "not white"?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flakeloaf posted:

Not sure how I feel about "racialized" cause it sounds like something you become after some process is inflicted on you

I think that is supposed to be the meaning. In the sense that race is less about actual skin colour or physical features and more of a social construct, e.g. Irish and Italian people being included as white people but not originally. It's not like they all of a sudden became pale enough to qualify.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Looks like Sam Oosterhof is in ministry of education.
The bible thumpers are getting their way.

Wonder when we start teaching creation in public schools.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

infernal machines posted:

The minister of Transport is from loving Pembroke

My wife is from Pembroke and I just sent this too her. Her reply - "Ontario is hosed" .

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Patrick Spens posted:

The notwithstanding clause means that the court has less power, Canadian justices are just generally more respectful of parliament than the U.S. supreme courts and our parliamentary system is much more capable of actually passing legislation, so there's less need for the Court to take up issues. Also, Canadian politics are less angry than the states in general.

Yeah, I think the ability of Parliament to actually pass legislation helps. The notwithstanding clause seems less likely to help, if only because it's usually politically problematic for a government to actually use it. I was thinking about it, and the fact that criminal law is all federal also seems to help, because it precludes a province from passing some bullshit social conservative criminal law

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kraftwerk posted:

Hey now, he's so fresh out of school it's great we have someone with first-hand experience!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Surely you don't mean he's the minister. He's 20.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lobok posted:

Hey now, he's so fresh out of school it's great we have someone with first-hand experience!

I thought he was homeschooled

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/samoosterhoff/status/1012746045577498624
This is Doug making sure the socons know he's still on board, basically

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

and also a tremendous virgin, which will come in handy forming the new conservative sex ed program

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Assistant TO the general manager

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Oh.

Even better.

:smithicide:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Well the pope doesn't gently caress and he's always right about sex so why shouldn't I Am Sam over there be the expert on what good schooling is

Segue
May 23, 2007

Lobok posted:

I think that is supposed to be the meaning. In the sense that race is less about actual skin colour or physical features and more of a social construct, e.g. Irish and Italian people being included as white people but not originally. It's not like they all of a sudden became pale enough to qualify.

Yeah, I think it's pointing out that race is basically a thing that white people made up and doesn't actually have a hard basis besides, sometimes, phenotype.

I used to use "person of colour" but "racialized" has been coming up more and I like its combativeness to the idea of race and that race is imposed. Also its recognition that race isn't just a colour thing and that mixed-race, passing, and other issues can blur the concept. It's a really good term to come out of the PC wars.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

He isn’t the minister. But he is the assistant minister to Lisa Thompson, the actual education minister.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Zeeman posted:

https://twitter.com/samoosterhoff/status/1012746045577498624
This is Doug making sure the socons know he's still on board, basically

Welp, homeschooling just became a whole lot more palatable

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drunk Canuck posted:

Welp, homeschooling just became a whole lot more palatable

Ironically, Sam Oosterhoff would probably agree with you.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Segue posted:

and the minister responsible for northern development is also now responsible for indigenous relations because why not.

Assuming it's actually done right, this is probably a good idea. Northern Ontario's indigenous population is significant and northern development initiatives already include a large indigenous component just for that reason.

Segue
May 23, 2007

AegisP posted:

Assuming it's actually done right, this is probably a good idea. Northern Ontario's indigenous population is significant and northern development initiatives already include a large indigenous component just for that reason.

Geographically yes but ideologically you'll have the minister responsible for Indigenous issues focusing on how they can use them to open up mining projects. It's seeing Indigenous issues only through a narrow economic lens, not that you'd expect more from the PCs, but any subtlety is gone.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
"I want the loving indians out of the park" - Doug Ford

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xtal posted:

"I want the indians out of the loving-park" - Doug Ford

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
4 more years of this

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RBC posted:

4 more years of this

Weeeeeeee :suicide:

At least Alberta is going to join us soon in our misery.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

infernal machines posted:

The minister of Transport is from loving Pembroke

Lol the made Yak the transport Minister?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Segue posted:

Doug Ford just announced his cabinet. Of the 20 ministers, 7 are women and exactly one is a racialized person, Raymond Cho.

Don't worry. Most of the all-white panel on The Agenda agreed that this isn't an issue because regular Ontarians value competency above political correctness and don't see race.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

eXXon posted:

Don't worry. Most of the all-white panel on The Agenda agreed that this isn't an issue because regular Ontarians value competency above political correctness and don't see race.

No such thing as racial divide after you've gassed all the others.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just read the book "Let the Eastern Bastards Freeze in the Dark" that is kind of a history of the formation of the prairie provinces framed around their fight for control over their land and resources. It's amazing how Canadian politicians have always been garbage people lining their own pockets, it is stunning to see how recent our entire history is and it is sad to see provinces fighting over the same stupid poo poo 100 years later.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

RBC posted:

Ford more years of this

Ftfy

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Segue posted:

Doug Ford just announced his cabinet. Of the 20 ministers, 7 are women and exactly one is a racialized person, Raymond Cho.

oh no, the awful tory scum conspiring to loot the province at our expense aren't diverse enough.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It's finally happened, I've seen a literal "hire more women guards"

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Entropic posted:

oh no, the awful tory scum conspiring to loot the province at our expense aren't diverse enough.

I think its fair to ask that if theyre going to gently caress us over they at least do it in the most Canadian way possible.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Entropic posted:

I'm as conscious of wrapping up bad policies in diverse bows as the next person, but it usually does show that the government is trying to keep up appearances and will respond to criticism and pressure to at least slightly cushion its shittiness.

This is emblematic that we're going whole hog into No Fucksville. Which is not in any way a surprise, but if this is the thought going in to making cabinet at least presentable to established mores, it signals that the actual policies we're about to get hit with will make hiring women prison guards look like actual progress.

Segue fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 30, 2018

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

enki42 posted:

It's finally happened, I've seen a literal "hire more women guards"

https://twitter.com/eshalegal/status/1012763559183478784?s=21

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
First one!

https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1012714451919724544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I celebrated Doug Ford Day by paddling two hours, setting up camp for an awesome 4 day weekend and then immediately having my first ever kidney stone get rocketed into my left flank as I was swimming.
Ended the day crossing a rough lake we don't know well in the dark (secretly hoping I'd drown) to get to a hospital

At least they told me I don't have any more? :shrug: