Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If you ignore the pages of monologue in which his suffering is described in agonizing detail and informs the way he acts and thinks, then sure his suffering doesn't matter.

Really it's his promotion that is immaterial. He is more powerful but less free. His influence is borrowed, and he is now forever indebted.

Your reading of Glokta as a self-insert of intellectual superiority says more about your own self than anything to do with the text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you ignore the pages of monologue in which his suffering is described in agonizing detail and informs the way he acts and thinks, then sure his suffering doesn't matter.

Really it's his promotion that is immaterial. He is more powerful but less free. His influence is borrowed, and he is now forever indebted.

This is a good example: Glokta doesn't suffer because of this. He doesn't really mind that he's a servant to Bayaz.

The thing about internal monologues is that they are just internal monologues. They illustrate thought, and don't influence human behaviour that much compared to learned or involuntary responses. What matter are actions.

Doubtless a lot of dictators stub their toes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

A human heart posted:

Are you ok my man

Upon further reflection, it's probably okay to like things.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I think Nicomo Cosca is hilarious.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He's no Švejk.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I am enjoying people reimagining the plot of the series so that they don't have admit that the cool witty sarcastic viewpoint character is a self-insert fantasy.

I’m glad I’m not you. This is kind of sad.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno, he seems to be enjoying trolling the poo poo out of everyone. Maybe he's still shooting for the most ignored poster spot.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

He's no Švejk.

yeah who don't love to lay back and read books from a hundred years ago

so fuckin relatable

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Suxpool posted:

so fuckin relatable

Same but unironically.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bravest of Lamps is good cause he stirs up debate in dead threads and makes me slightly reconsider books I otherwise uncritically enjoy. Even if he's just trolling it's still fun to discuss these books, and it's rare a real troll will be able to cite quotes the way BotL can.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Suxpool posted:

so fuckin relatable

Powerful self-own

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Suxpool posted:

so fuckin relatable
uhhh too far pull back

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Suxpool posted:

so fuckin relatable

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Suxpool posted:

so fuckin relatable

:thunk:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good news everyone!

Joe Abercrombie posted:

Looks very much as if the first book, A Little Hatred, will be published September 2019 in the UK and US, with the other two books, The Trouble With Peace, and The Beautiful Machine, following at beautifully regular and predictable one year intervals. This is the hope. No promises are made, of course. That would be MADNESS. We also hope that at least some of the key translations can be done in the meantime, so we can make that release date across a few different languages, which would be lovely.

https://www.joeabercrombie.com/2018/06/29/progress-report-june-18/

It'll take place mostly in the Union and the North, so those of us hoping to see a bit more of Gurkhul will have to wait. Still, exciting news.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 29, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Wonder if they'll be well-written this time around!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cool I’m excited and posting in here because I enjoy the books.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Wonder if they'll be well-written this time around!

l o l never stop

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Interesting choice to stick with the Union & The North. I was really hoping for Gurkul, and some stuff in the (new) old empire.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megasabin posted:

Interesting choice to stick with the Union & The North. I was really hoping for Gurkul, and some stuff in the (new) old empire.

I dunno if I’d call it sticking with, he’s mixed the settings up some with Best Served Cold and Red Country. I’d like some more Gurkul as well, though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Wanna see the Magus deal with a depression and run on the bank.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

Bravest of Lamps is good cause he stirs up debate in dead threads and makes me slightly reconsider books I otherwise uncritically enjoy. Even if he's just trolling it's still fun to discuss these books, and it's rare a real troll will be able to cite quotes the way BotL can.

I agree with this but he was funnier and more relevant with Rothfuss.

I liked his early stuff but this latest album is a stretch.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Joe re-read all his books are part of the work on the new ones and wrote a little report on each:

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/news/

"At the end of this one I actually missed Temple and Shy and, rather pathetically for someone who wrote the book, sorta wanted to know what happened next in their lives…"

I would be happy to see more Shy in the new trilogy, Temple, meh. Also, how about Ferro? We left her going crazy and half demon possessed IIRC, I'd love a follow up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So if these books are subversive, why do they feature a race of universally evil subhumans? Isn't that like the first thing you're expected to "subvert" if you're trying to avoid genre fantasy cliches?

Or is Abercrombie subverting subversion?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 14, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
yeah i'm sure that wouldn't get old as gently caress super quickly

you still have to play some tropes straight for the subverted ones to have any impact, that's like writing 101 botl. it's like if every story beat in an m night film was a twist instead of just once a film.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 14, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

you still have to play some tropes straight for the subverted ones to have any impact, that's like writing 101 botl

Only if you treat TvTropes as a writing guide and take the idea of "subverting tropes" seriously.

Again, why have a race of universally evil subhumans if you're trying to avoid cliches? Besides the obvious purpose of serving as fodder for juvenile action sequences.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 14, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

tropes and subverting tropes existed far prior to tvtropes lol

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

also if u missed that abercrombie plays genre cliches/tropes straight and focuses on playing with character tropes/cliches you're bad at reading

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

tropes and subverting tropes existed far prior to tvtropes lol

also if u missed that abercrombie plays genre cliches/tropes straight and focuses on playing with character tropes/cliches you're bad at reading

The actual words are "cliche" and "parody". TvTropes developed phrases like "subverting tropes" and "playing with tropes" in order to pretend that cliches are a serious subject of art and criticism.

This leads to baffling ideas such as "you still have to play some tropes straight for the subverted ones to have any impact". You need to translate it into english in order to see just how stupid it is:

"You still have to refrain from complete parody for the parody to have impact."

Or in this case:

"You still have to include a race of evil subhumans without a hint of parody for your parody to have any impact."

So why are the non-parodic orcs so necessary?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

even translated into english it makes total sense

galaxy quest is a parody of the star trek films but it's good because it's actually still a competent star trek film AND a parody. you just don't seem to really get your own argument here dude

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This argument is the worst.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

it sucks because you can usually tell when botl has actually thought about what he's writing

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

even translated into english it makes total sense

galaxy quest is a parody of the star trek films but it's good because it's actually still a competent star trek film AND a parody. you just don't seem to really get your own argument here dude

Your idea of "impactful parody" is for it to have its cake and eat it too. Galaxy Quest is neither a good parody of Star Trek nor is it a good science fiction film. It's just a dull comedy.

Again, why are the non-parodic race of orcs necessary for The First Law series?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i already told you why but you missed the part too where i said you're bad at reading

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

i already told you why but you missed the part too where i said you're bad at reading

Your argument is that Abercrombie needed to "play some tropes" straight in order to write impactful parody.

And according to your example, "impactful parody" means that a work should be both a good parody and in itself a good example of its genre.

Thus you're saying Abercrombie needed orcs so that he could parody genre fantasy, but also needed them to be un-parodic so that he could write a good work of fantasy.

Like we can point out the obvious problem here: orcs do not actually make for good fiction. Even arch-hack Tolkien thought that a race of universally evil subhumans was an artistic and intellectual failure, and the Shanka are even more one-dimensionally evil than the orcs, who have at least personalities and character.

It's hard not to notice that they could be replaced entirely with just ordinary humans without changing anything, which is probably why they haven't appeared for four books aside brief mentions, as if they were just some embarrassing obligation.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

in order to pretend that cliches are a serious subject of art and criticism.

Yeah gently caress you Vladimir Propp

"subverting tropes" kinda didn't exist as a term before TvTropes tho

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 14, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Yeah gently caress you Vladimir Propp

Propp and Aristoteles aren't working on cliches, they were studying the structure of very specific genres (and not in the sense of a story having orcs or spaceship) in order to understand them.

The principles TvTropes in contrast are that cliches are like Pokemon, and having the most Pokemon is the best. The same "tropes" apply equally well in both animation and literature, just as long as you can have the longest list of examples.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Propp and Aristoteles aren't working on cliches, they were studying the structure of very specific genres

Yes, some of which we might call the cliches of said genre although I can understand why you might want to avoid the normative judgement associate with "cliche"

Aristotle wasn't a formalist though, so I don't know why you're bringing him up.

The principles TvTropes in contrast are that cliches are like Pokemon, and having the most Pokemon is the best. The same "tropes" apply equally well in both animation and literature, just as long as you can have the longest list of examples.
It's a crude, misguided version of formalism, yes.

I'd be interested to hear your argument on why a cliche can't be translated from one medium to another. It seems obvious to me that the the mad doctor from Disney's The Mad Doctor is the same basic stock character as the mad doctor from Maniac as are the innumerable stock mad scientists in pulp paperbacks around the same time, but maybe I'm missing something and it's like comparing a melody to a sketch.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Because it idiotically places the content of a medium over its form. This is why different media are practically interchangeable for TvTropes: the formal qualities don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Because it idiotically places the content of a medium over its form. This is why different media are practically interchangeable for TvTropes: the formal qualities don't matter.

Please elaborate, I'm interested