Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

gradenko_2000 posted:

what should one look out for when choosing to buy a pressure cooker?

No bluetooth or display screens, as few controls as possible, at least 6 quarts, 8 is better. I have an Instant Pot and like it but it's the only pressure cooker I've owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The fish market had wahoo steaks on the cheap yesterday so I picked some up to grill for dinner tonight. Should I just season this like I would any other white fish, or do y'all have some secret wahoo seasoning tech that would be good to try?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
White wine stuff. Grilled Shrimp Caprese
Cut in half for 2 ppl.

Marinated Tomatoes:
1 1/2 lbs Roma tomatoes, cored* and cut into 1” pieces
20 medium fresh basil leaves, stems removed and cut into 1” pieces
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup white wine
11/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 lb capellini (angel hair) pasta, cooked according to package directions
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 lb 26/30 or 21/25 shrimp, peeled and deveined
*Chef’s Note: To preserve juices and seeds, use a pairing knife to remove just the top of the core on each tomato.
Procedures

Preheat broiler.
COMBINE tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning and salt in a large bowl and blend thoroughly. Cover, set aside and marinate for at least 1 hour.
HEAT a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter and let melt. Stir in white wine and bring to a boil. Add heavy cream and Parmesan cheese and bring to a simmer. Let sauce reduce to desired consistency.
ADD cooked, drained pasta and marinated tomatoes to skillet. Stir to thoroughly coat pasta with sauce.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sterster posted:

White wine stuff. Grilled Shrimp Caprese

I like how the shrimp isn't mentioned at all in the entirety of the actual recipe

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Shrimp Surprise! An old family recipe.

The surprise is that there is no shrimp.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Casu Marzu posted:

I like how the shrimp isn't mentioned at all in the entirety of the actual recipe

Preheat broiler, combine ingredients, wait 1 hour, never turn off broiler

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Ha I didn't even notice it. Grilling shrimps is pretty straight forward though. So just grill em and throw them on top when you're done with the sauce and noodles.

Edit: Could be that we usually have to type it out instead of copy pasta stuff from recipes we like because, while giving you the recipe they want to tell you about how they were inspired by fireworks from their 4th of july. Where they were in a bad spot in their relationship with their husband and had just changed their kids adhd meds and it was causing more stress in their relationship. God I loving hate some recipe sites.

sterster fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 25, 2018

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Escarole, what do i do with it?

I tried pan saute with some garlic and then parmesan cheese, but I was pretty underwhelmed. It wasn't terrible but it was just kind of bitter and eh.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Eat in salad.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Nigiri

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That's escolar.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

That's escolar.

just imagining someone dumping a tiny piece of lettuce on some rice and serving it as nigiri

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Poor mans nigiri

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Escolar nigiri is the only appropriate quantity of escolar :itwaspoo:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eat all the escolar, stain your shorts with orange poop.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just bought a beef heart. What’s the best way to cook it?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Slice super thin for kbbq

Cure and smoke for pastrami

Chili

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

theres a will theres moe posted:

I used to have a GF who would horde slightly different types of those rubbermaid style containers and few things are more infuriating to me now than digging through a pile of slightly-different red lids to find - not only a lid of the approximate size and shape of the container I've got - but also the particular sub-shade of red that I'm supposed to know is paired with one of three or four slightly-different lip-types on a container. Some lid types fit on other container types but would leak all over your lunchbox/car/pants/whatever.

She kept all the lids in a straw hat-turned-bowl on a pantry shelf that would tip the gently caress over and spill everything onto the floor very frequently.

She was cool otherwise but that was one thing that drove me goddamn nuts. I'm sensitive about containers now and I only keep two distinct box sizes with easy to ID lids.

I'm sorry, but were you dating my mom?

My dad will be so disappointed. But at least he and I will have someone to talk about our tupperware woes with.

Legit the worst fight my parents ever had (acording to them) was over a ricotta cheese container, which my father now demands to be cremated and stored in.

M42 posted:

CHILLI

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Eat all the escolar, stain your shorts with orange poop.

Man, last time I tried that, I was sick for 3 days. The unlimited sushi buffet was a mistake. Since then, I gotta limit myself.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 26, 2018

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Anticuchos de Corazon

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Is it alright to compost cooked (boiled, unsalted) chickpeas?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
you should eat them instead

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Old guy next door brought me a big pile of mint from his garden

Can I make it last a few days? What should I make with it?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

theres a will theres moe posted:

you should eat them instead

They are very old.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bob Morales posted:

Pick off any wilted leaves, then wrap in a baaaarely damp paper towel (or cloth if you're feeling fancy). Lasts about 2 weeks in the crisper drawer of your fridge. It tends to go brown unevenly, so even after 2 weeks you can probably salvage 1/3 or so for another week.

Infuse cream or simple syrup: heat either liquid to ~190°F (maximum up to a bare simmer but definitely not boiling) then add the mint. Leave for an hour to infuse while it cools, then use in cocktails, sodas, ice cream, whipped cream, whatever.

Add to hearty summer salads/sautees/succotashes, about 1/8 - 1/4 cup loose leaves per person, chopped. Here's one example and I've added mint https://to and served it as a side instead of a taco.

[url=http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2012/09/whole-roasted-tandoori-cauliflower-with-mint-chutney/Mint chutney with tandoori cauliflower[/url] or anything else that pairs well with yogurt sauce, like zucchini fritters

It's frequently used in recipes that call for "mixed herbs", where it partners well with basil, parsley, and, depending on the dish, tarragon.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Made this tonight with mint from a planter in the back yard. https://nomnompaleo.com/mexican-watermelon-salad

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Made this tonight with mint from a planter in the back yard. https://nomnompaleo.com/mexican-watermelon-salad

I've made that same salad. If you want (and are not eating paleo), toss in some chevrie also and it's fuckin good.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I'm making a pasta salad using angel hair, some other stuff, and mozzarella. My mozz is in a big block. What shape should I cut the pieces in to ensure my salad isn't a bowl with mozz on the bottom and pasta on the top (but you can still get it on a fork)?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cut the mozzarella into 1"x1.5" rectangles, then get your sharpest paring knife out and tourne them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got carrots in our farm box yesterday and they still have the stems/leaves attached. Can those bits be used for anything useful or should I just dispose of them?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Got carrots in our farm box yesterday and they still have the stems/leaves attached. Can those bits be used for anything useful or should I just dispose of them?

Sure. Use carrots greens like you would parsley or the like.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Any recommendations for cooking red lentils and green lentils together?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Casu Marzu posted:

Cut the mozzarella into 1"x1.5" rectangles, then get your sharpest paring knife out and tourne them.

The thought of trying to tourne cheese made me punch a hole in my wall.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Any recommendations for cooking red lentils and green lentils together?

Parcook the green lentils, then add the red. Or add them at the same time and let the masoor turn into mush for some soupy texture.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

C-Euro posted:

They're a great addition to veg/chicken stock.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
My fiance and I are getting together with her family this weekend and I'm planning to make this delicious peanut chicken recipe but the kitchen where we're going isn't used/stocked all the time and we're bringing up ingredients with us.

For sanity's sake, do you think it would be OK if I combined some of the sauce ingredients (namely the soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and maybe the red pepper flakes) tonight and then mixed them with the remaining stuff tomorrow when we get there, or would that somehow make things weird?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Nah, you’re fine combining those ahead of time.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Parcook the green lentils, then add the red. Or add them at the same time and let the masoor turn into mush for some soupy texture.

I did something in between these two options and it turned out wonderfully.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ignoranus posted:

For sanity's sake, do you think it would be OK if I combined some of the sauce ingredients (namely the soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and maybe the red pepper flakes) tonight and then mixed them with the remaining stuff tomorrow when we get there, or would that somehow make things weird?

As a general guideline:

Are any of these opposite pH wrt 7?
Do any of these have active enzymes? (Fresh alliums and fresh citrus are the biggest ones)
Will any of these spoil if their water, sugar, or acid content changes?

If all these answers are "no", you're usually good to go. In your case, you're fine.

Can anyone else think of good guidelines here?

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Y'all know that absorbent pad that comes in a package of meat? When we started the crock pot beef this morning, we accidentally let that dump in there and it's been heating on low like that for hours.

Is my pepper beef a lost cause?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would take it out before serving but that's all

http://www.tbo.com/dining/meat-package-padding-wont-hurt-cooked-meal-641368
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...34DoNUAbw!!/#16

it's called a meat diaper or meat pad if you want to google more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

It tore open when I fished it out, but I made sure to keep the contents from getting out and into the juice. Good to know my stew isn't filled with melted plastic!