Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Memento posted:

Yeah and I met a girl I would end up marrying. Bizarre times.

You guys have me intrigued now, I'm going to get some beers and watch Crystal Skull.

It's on Amazon Prime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

peer posted:

The aliens were fine as long as they were just long-dead skeletons but when one came back to life I wanted to punch lucas & spielberg

edit: "native americans used to worship creatures that might have been aliens" is a lot easier to swallow than "oh and their skeletons merged or something and one came back to life and now it flies off in a UFO"

Did one come back to life or was it just "angry psychic ghosts who didn't want to leave without all of their skulls and who popped the head of the crazy lady that tried to boss them around"? I haven't seen the movie since it first came out, so I could be horribly wrong.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Safeword posted:

Not hugely subtle, as a couple of shots do draw attention to it, but I liked how in Don't Breathe the antagonist (a blind war veteran) is orientating himself by touching specific areas in the house. You can see him counting doorways in his head, touching an otherwise useless fan, etc. Stephen Lang put in an absolutely fantastic performance.

drat shame it turned out the blind man was a crazed, god hating rapist. It immediately stripped away all ambiguity from the situation.

Yeah, they really squandered a fantastic setup.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Randalor posted:

Did one come back to life or was it just "angry psychic ghosts who didn't want to leave without all of their skulls and who popped the head of the crazy lady that tried to boss them around"? I haven't seen the movie since it first came out, so I could be horribly wrong.

I don't even know. I definitely read the scene as them somehow merging and reviving but I guess angry psychic ghosts is just as likely

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Who the heck would you get to play a cool greaser nowadays? Really, the whole archetype seems like it'd have trouble getting off the ground presented unironically, everyone loves characters presented with at least a charming level of awkwardness.

He's probably a bit too old, but I think Tom Hardy could make it work.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I don't know who could play a cool greaser, I just know we shouldn't have let Milhouse try.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Not Operator posted:

I don't know who could play a cool greaser, I just know we shouldn't have let Milhouse try.

Jiminy jilickers!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Who the heck would you get to play a cool greaser nowadays? Really, the whole archetype seems like it'd have trouble getting off the ground presented unironically, everyone loves characters presented with at least a charming level of awkwardness.

its like whats-his-name lawyer from ally mcbeal showing up as a greaser in shawshank redemption. he looks like a dad on halloween

probably the only misstep in that movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zac Efron as a cool greaser maybe?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Zac Efron as a cool greaser maybe?

I was thinking that too. Apparently he's really good as Ted Bundy.

Zac Efron has range, who'd have thought.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's not subtle but it's a nice detail, I really like in The Americans the Russian characters speak Russian to each other. I have only seen two episodes so no spoilers!

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I've seen even less episodes, but wouldn't that be terrible spycraft? Yeah, I'm sure they do it when they're alone, but if a single person hears them wouldn't the game be up immediately? Or are their characters supposed to be russians, who love america.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

I've seen even less episodes, but wouldn't that be terrible spycraft? Yeah, I'm sure they do it when they're alone, but if a single person hears them wouldn't the game be up immediately? Or are their characters supposed to be russians, who love america.

Nah not the sleeper agents, people working in the Russian embassy

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ardent Communist posted:

There are russian diplomats who speak russian to each other in the embassy as well as academics and others like tangentially involved with KGB shenanigans and then the deep cover people who would only speak it when they're alone with other russians which they try to avoid.

e;fb

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bitterandtwisted posted:

Best action sequences
1) Raiders convoy
2) Crusade tank
3) Temple mine cart

All were great though.

I haven't seen Crystal. The clip I saw of the cgi monkey chase looked awful. Maybe it's less awful in context?

4) Skull University Motorcycle chase.

Watch it, it's good and next to no CGI.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What other movies or shows have done that well? I know I've seen stuff where they even skip the subtitles if what's being said isn't consequential or can be discerned from body language/circumstance. I'm just having trouble recalling them now.

The milk scene in Inglorious Basterds was good in that switching to English was an actual plot point.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Krispy Wafer posted:

What other movies or shows have done that well? I know I've seen stuff where they even skip the subtitles if what's being said isn't consequential or can be discerned from body language/circumstance. I'm just having trouble recalling them now.

The milk scene in Inglorious Basterds was good in that switching to English was an actual plot point.

The switch to English in the hunt for red October was done very well

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

AFewBricksShy posted:

The switch to English in the hunt for red October was done very well

And necessary.

"Shhkya blyat comrade"

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Arcsquad12 posted:

4) Skull University Motorcycle chase.

Watch it, it's good and next to no CGI.

It's the one glimmer of hope in that movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kramdar posted:

It's the one glimmer of hope in that movie.

I guess motorcycle chases can have that effect. Matrix Reloaded I'm looking at you with maybe a pre-drink of Fled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV-4hT3BS4E

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Krispy Wafer posted:

tbh a lot of recent movies have been alright about side-characters speaking their own language.

ive noticed because i speak english and danish (and only some french/german/spanish at a tourist level) so i usually dont bother with subtitles on hollywood movies, but in recent years ive had to turn on the extra non-english subtitles more often (usually for the scenes where the protag is away and everyone is speaking their own language)

imo its a good thing cause i feel like my lovely spanish is getting slightly better

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The switch to English in The Thirteenth Warrior was great and a plot point.

Also, I will defend that movie till my death. It's a perfect D&D campaign as a movie and I love every second of it.

There are actually a lot of parts that suit this thread because there are jokes and subtleties super easy to miss without repeat viewings.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

It took me a few viewings to catch this but in Forrest Gump, when he wipes his face on the cloth and it gets muddy, it makes the classic 70s smiley face we all know and love!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I get it, because it’s obvious.

Good one.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Sid Vicious posted:

It took me a few viewings to catch this but in Forrest Gump, when he wipes his face on the cloth and it gets muddy, it makes the classic 70s smiley face we all know and love!

He says "HAVE A NICE DAY" !!!!!!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Aphrodite posted:

I get it, because it’s obvious.

Good one.

:confused:

Kramdar posted:

He says "HAVE A NICE DAY" !!!!!!

I don't understand the importance of this?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Bloop posted:

The switch to English in The Thirteenth Warrior was great and a plot point.

Also, I will defend that movie till my death. It's a perfect D&D campaign as a movie and I love every second of it.

There are actually a lot of parts that suit this thread because there are jokes and subtleties super easy to miss without repeat viewings.

iirc all the "vikings"/Rus are scandinavian or at least northern european actors too, and their talk is approximated old norse.

actually reminds me, The Thing (1982) opening scene, the chopper crew are speaking norwegian and are warning MacReady and crew about the dog.

In The Thing (2011), the crew is multinational but mostly Norwegian and they all speak their common languages if English isn't the easiest.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Sid Vicious posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_a_nice_day#Smiley_face_and_%22have_a_nice_day%22

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Sid Vicious posted:

since forest gump can't read he is cheated out of millions in smiley face royalties

also at one point forest gump stares directly at the camera and repeats "sid vicious is a bad poster" for forty-seven minutes

it's very subtle

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

:ssh:

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Sid Vicious posted:

Have A Nice Day is the phrase that originally accompanied that smiley face.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Gejimayu posted:

Have A Nice Day is the phrase that originally accompanied that smiley face.

Ohhhhhh jeez now I get it that's very clever thank you

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sid Vicious posted:

Ohhhhhh jeez now I get it that's very clever thank you

It happens.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

What the gently caress is happening?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

And since now I'm remembering more non-translated scenes in American movies:

Into the Wild, when he's canoeing down the Colorado, he meets a young tourist couple. Theyre speaking unsubtitled Danish just offering him to hang out and have fun (much like everyone else is in the movie), and of course he refuses because he's a piece of poo poo

During the train robbery in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, one of the passengers rises up and speaks to whoever, I think Bill James? The older brother with the longer mustache, it's somethign like "please don't, what are we going to do" but in Danish and yeah their money are stolen too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zif9cdQtOgg

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Subtitles help a lot in the new season of Luke cage, cause god drat those are some thick accents.

Great season.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Temple of Doom is a whole lot of great scenes wrapped together in a not-so-great movie, but it's still better than Crystal Skull.

The Shanghai scenes are great, the trek through the jungle is great, the bug tunnel/Spike room is great, Mola Ram is great. Everything after they enter the bug tunnel works well, and Short Round is a really fun sidekick.

Kate Capshaw is bad, but she's supposed to be the antithesis of Marion. She isn't capable. She's a showgirl. Unfortunately, she's annoying as hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even so, Willie does get some good lines when they acknowledge how obnoxious she is. Her shrill nature works better when it plays into the scene and not in spite of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

In the movie Rush Hour, Jackie Chan says to Chris Tucker "can you understand the words coming out of my mouth" and Chris Tucker replies that no one can understand the words he speaks, but for him to have responded in this manner he absolutely would have had to understand the words that were coming out of his mouth.