Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Guy Goodbody posted:

There should be a maximum wage

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i miss the no politics addendum

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Sorry, all.

I'll throw this one out to get us moving, you shouldn't own a dog if you don't have a yard they can access at will

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'll throw this one out to get us moving, you shouldn't own a dog if you don't have a yard they can access at will

and that yard most definitely better be securely fenced, unless you like the idea of your dog being shot in self defense or run over.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Safe, reliable self-driving cars will require massive advances in artificial intelligence. It can't be done with current technology. Anyone who says self-driving cars will happen in the next five years is a moron easily swayed by marketing, anyone who says they'll happen in the next twenty years is just expressing their own religious faith in the inexorable march of *gif of the doctor from Futurama saying "Science!"*

True. Thing is, technology is actually slowing down. I doubt we'll get selfdriving cars in even 50 years. And thats assuming climate change doesnt gently caress everything up. But even if it didnt, technological progress is still slowing down. Compare 1900 to 1950, look at all the big changes that occured because of automobiles, planes, widespread electricity, vaccines, radio, etc. Then compare 1950 to 2000: there were a lot of technological improvements, but not nearly as many. People still had cars and electricity and telephones in 1950; its just that in 2000, they also had a desktop computer, and maybe a cellphone and internet connection. We got video games, and whatnot, too. And since 2000, not a whole lot has improved. Compare 1982 to 2000, its obvious that computers and whatnot have advanced. Now compare 2000 to 2018, and things are almost exactly the same except cellphones are a bit better.

Basically we've picked all the low hanging fruit of technology progress. And now we've got climate change and resource depletion. None of the sci-fi bullshit is going to become real, kids :smug:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

This and also cats should be inside only. They decimate the local bird population, fight, get hurt, and it's just not safe for them outside.
If you let your cats outside and they die/never come back, it's on you and you should feel bad because you're a piece of poo poo that exposed your supposed beloved pet to mortal danger.
Cats don't need to go outside under any conditions. They won't be stunted or bored if you provide toys. There's no psychological benefit that can't be replicated inside. I'm looking at you nearly everyone in my family in the United Kingdom.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Forums poster “BravestoftheLamps” is the worst poster. They’re a loving walmart brand version of SMG and need to go the gently caress away from the already poo poo forum of CineD.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It should have been called "never should have been made". I hate those movies to an extreme degree. Especially because they made woody harrelson look like a bad actor.

That’s a terrible name for a movie :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Forums poster “BravestoftheLamps” is the worst poster. They’re a loving walmart brand version of SMG and need to go the gently caress away from the already poo poo forum of CineD.

this is an extremely good opinion

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Horoscopes and astrology are the worst bullshit. They aren't even entertaining.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Using 'gangbang' to refer to anything other than the sexual act is a venial sin.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

this is the kind of thing that sounds great and anyone would agree with it, until you put it on paper and realize what it would mean re: taxes.
Taxing the rich to provide for the poor is not an unfortunate side effect, it's the whole loving point.

Blue Star posted:

True. Thing is, technology is actually slowing down. I doubt we'll get selfdriving cars in even 50 years. And thats assuming climate change doesnt gently caress everything up. But even if it didnt, technological progress is still slowing down. Compare 1900 to 1950, look at all the big changes that occured because of automobiles, planes, widespread electricity, vaccines, radio, etc. Then compare 1950 to 2000: there were a lot of technological improvements, but not nearly as many. People still had cars and electricity and telephones in 1950; its just that in 2000, they also had a desktop computer, and maybe a cellphone and internet connection. We got video games, and whatnot, too. And since 2000, not a whole lot has improved. Compare 1982 to 2000, its obvious that computers and whatnot have advanced. Now compare 2000 to 2018, and things are almost exactly the same except cellphones are a bit better.
I don't think it's possible to really measure the pace of technological progress, but you're insane if you think computers and the internet haven't drastically changed just about every aspect of our lives. Like, you could make the case that nothing really changed between 1900 and 1950 because people still had horses, gas lights and the postal service and it would be just as valid as your case for the similarity of 1950 and 2000.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Not much has changed the human condition in 60,000 years. We're still dependent on others for how we live, and we're still going to die.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Horoscopes and astrology are the worst bullshit. They aren't even entertaining.

Throw psychics in there as well because they're basically the same thing. If someone wants proof that it's all bullshit, tell them to read another random sign's horoscope and ask themselves if it also fits them (it will). On the surface it seems like it's just feel-good harmless fun but the psychics use it to milk gullible and vulnerable people from their money. My unpopular opinion about it is we should treat psychics the same way they did back in the days when witch hunts were popular. Maybe just jail them instead of all the torture and burning them though, even though some of them like the late Sylvia Browne would deserve it. Why the law doesn't view what they do as fraud is beyond me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also gently caress people who let their dogs run around without leashes. They always act all sheepish and “ohhhh he never does this” when their pos dog inevitably bolts and usually don’t even make an effort to control it, opting instead to stand still and uselessly squeal “Dumbshit, come! Come! I’m so sorry! Come! Sit! Come!”

Dangerous for the dog, annoying as poo poo for whatever poor sap your poo poo dog decides to chase, and potentially extremely uncomfortable for say, a little kid or someone with a dog phobia.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My mom has smallish dogs (border terriers) and we have some neighbors who always let their aggressive giant pitbulls/boxers/whatever off leash. They always claim they somehow open the front door themselves and they can't stop them. They aren't velociraptors, just lock the door, or accept the inevitable when someone runs them over or shoots them when they act like they are going to attack you/your dog, like they have multiple times with my mom's dogs until someone scares them off. Last time I was home I even told the lady if it were up to me I would have shot them and she acted indignant like her "babies" could do no wrong and I was some kind of monster.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I deliver pizza and the fuckers around here are very lucky I love all forms of dog with every fiber of my being. So far I've been:

Knocked down by a Mastiff that smelled pizza and bolted.

Bitten on my rear end by a Pomeranian that "never does this oh my gosh!"

Knocked down and had my shoe stolen by a mutt. Yes I told him "you're a dog, they don't even fit!"

Been greeted multiple times by people opening their door and a couple of Pits barging their way past to crowd me and rub dog smell and dirt all over my legs.

It's not hard to put your dog in another room when I come. You ordered pizza, you know I'm coming. Dog can't help it, I'm a stranger with a weird had that smells like food.

Best time was the giant rear end dog that ran right past me and jumped into my Fiat through the open door. Him just wanted a ride!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Stairs posted:

I deliver pizza and the fuckers around here are very lucky I love all forms of dog with every fiber of my being. So far I've been:

Knocked down by a Mastiff that smelled pizza and bolted.

Bitten on my rear end by a Pomeranian that "never does this oh my gosh!"

Knocked down and had my shoe stolen by a mutt. Yes I told him "you're a dog, they don't even fit!"

Been greeted multiple times by people opening their door and a couple of Pits barging their way past to crowd me and rub dog smell and dirt all over my legs.

It's not hard to put your dog in another room when I come. You ordered pizza, you know I'm coming. Dog can't help it, I'm a stranger with a weird had that smells like food.

Best time was the giant rear end dog that ran right past me and jumped into my Fiat through the open door. Him just wanted a ride!

It's your own fault for carrying something that smells delicious in their general area

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Back in 2000 you couldn't find information about virtually anything, let alone that you can now do it from pretty much anywhere. You couldn't just go online and start watching your favorite show immediately. You couldn't even listen to a song right away. You couldn't broadcast a TV channel from your house. You had to look at actual maps to find your way. You had to go to a real store to buy things. If you wanted to book a hotel or a taxi you had to call them.

This is all to say that tech has had a huge leaps in the last few years, especially in the areas of information, media and access to them.

That said, I do think tech is reaching a plateau in some respects. The jump from FHD to UHD is not as impressive as HD was to FHD or earlier resolution iterations. You don't really need to change your computer or phone after every couple of years anymore. Gaming has been kind of stagnant in regards to graphics. And so on.

New tech will keep coming and it should be mostly from unexpected places.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also gently caress people who let their dogs run around without leashes.
I have kind of the opposite view on this. When I see someone walking their dog on a lead, my immediate thought is that they don't trust their dog so I don't trust them either and I'd better give them a wide berth. Someone walking a dog with no lead, that dog's not going to do anything unexpected, I'll walk right past them, no problem.

Chernabog posted:

You don't really need to change your computer or phone after every couple of years anymore.
You never did.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I have kind of the opposite view on this. When I see someone walking their dog on a lead, my immediate thought is that they don't trust their dog so I don't trust them either and I'd better give them a wide berth. Someone walking a dog with no lead, that dog's not going to do anything unexpected, I'll walk right past them, no problem.

They are animals. There is ALWAYS the chance they will do something unexpected. All it takes is one quick movement by your dog or yourself that they weren't expecting and it can set them off. All well-trained dogs are perfectly predictable angels, until they aren't because of something you didn't train them to handle.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

They are animals. There is ALWAYS the chance they will do something unexpected.
Well, the same applies to humans. I avoid people who seem more likely than normal to be aggressive or unpredictable, but if I see a person walking calmly down the street, minding their own business, I'm not going to be concerned. Same goes for dogs.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's probably different in Australia, as it is in Europe, but in america when someone is letting their dog off leash the chances of it being because they are very well trained and the owner trusts the dog is basically 0. It's more likely to be some methed out pitbull breeder who doesn't want to be told what to do so they let their basically feral dogs roam free.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

MizPiz posted:

It's your own fault for carrying something that smells delicious in their general area

No that's what I'm saying. The dog can't help it. That's why you put your dog up, because you're the smarter being with thumbs and the abity to use doorknobs.
Dogs are good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

You never did.

Wait, so your mind leaps to the conclusion that no leash = more responsible pet owner?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dogs off leashes that chase me while their idiot owner meekly fails to call them back is near 100%

Either Tiggum gonna Tiggum or that’s just more evidence that Australia is the horrible butthole of earth

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Jun 29, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Wait, so your mind leaps to the conclusion that no leash = more responsible pet owner?
Not more responsible owner, less excitable dog. It's got nothing to do with the owner. A dog that'll calmly follow its owner down the street and not need to be on a lead is a dog that isn't threatening. A dog that's on a lead might be just as calm and non-threatening, but it also might be on a lead because its owners don't trust it to not be a danger to itself and others.

I've seen tons of dogs being walked without leads and never felt threatened or concerned in any way. The only dogs I see acting in an aggressive or dangerous manner with their owners present are either on leads or behind fences.

Stray dogs are a different matter and I avoid them, but that's not the same as people walking their dogs without leads.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

alternatively: let people post their lovely opinions on movies in peace and dont police their lovely opinions for being bad, just point at them and say "bad butt" (this is more aimed at the entirety of cinema discussion, the subforum full of Doug Walkers)

also BotL is a great poster, nobody can get probated/banned at the rate they do. except for avsholam, prolly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

alternatively: let people post their lovely opinions on movies in peace and dont police their lovely opinions for being bad, just point at them and say "bad butt" (this is more aimed at the entirety of cinema discussion, the subforum full of Doug Walkers)

also BotL is a great poster, nobody can get probated/banned at the rate they do. except for avsholam, prolly.

How DARE you compare hebrew goon treasure avshalom to that monster

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

they're siblings in my headcanon

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The original script for Caddy Shack had a lot more focus on the caddy and his relationship with the inexplicably Scottish girl. But when they started filming everyone on the crew thought Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray, and Chevy Chase were so funny they changed it to give them a lot more screen time

My unpopular opinion is that the movie probably would've been better if they kept to the original plan.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s true, if only because Av kept threatening the president to pad her score.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

purple death ray posted:

The State is exclusively comprised of rich people though.

It's not in a democracy, because there are a many more voters than there are rich people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait, in addition to being Great Value SMG-flavored Goon Product, isn’t BotL the one that wrote loving dozens of pages ~ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING~ the rothfuss lovely fantasy novels?

The giant threads of nerds tripping over themslves to dunk on genre fiction is way sadder than Rothfuss or his fans-phuo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait, in addition to being Great Value SMG-flavored Goon Product, isn’t BotL the one that wrote loving dozens of pages ~ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING~ the rothfuss lovely fantasy novels?

The giant threads of nerds tripping over themslves to dunk on genre fiction is way sadder than Rothfuss or his fans-phuo

is rothfuss some kinda new dance move? or...kind of moss?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

spit on my clit posted:

or...kind of moss?

That's his beard mate.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I read The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. Can someone summarize the savage murder of them and their author?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

I read The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. Can someone summarize the savage murder of them and their author?

Goons in book barn post hundreds of pages kvetching about Patty Rothfuss’s ginger sex fantasy including some dude writing a line by line novella length wannabe intellectual burnfest

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Goons in book barn post hundreds of pages kvetching about Patty Rothfuss’s ginger sex fantasy including some dude writing a line by line novella length wannabe intellectual burnfest

I'll have you know that was one of the most interesting things that happened in both that thread as well as the actual books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Either Tiggum gonna Tiggum or that’s just more evidence that Australia is the horrible butthole of earth

Yeah nah, this is a Tiggum thing, not an Australia thing. People who let their dogs off-leash in public, especially in on-leash areas, are the goddamn worst forever.