Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

el dorito :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult

I’m on mobile rn but I’ll give it a listen when I’m home

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Lizard Wizard, a great username.
:agreed:

also I like your avatar it reminds me of my cat

BoldFrankensteinMir

Aww what a handsome beast. He looks just like my tuxedo cat... and a hell of a lot of other online cat pictures too, but whatever, even I can't be cynical when people are liveposting puppy births.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
hero

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 30, 2018

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Macnult

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Aww what a handsome beast. He looks just like my tuxedo cat... and a hell of a lot of other online cat pictures too, but whatever, even I can't be cynical when people are liveposting puppy births.

He’s a good boy. His facial expressions geek me out sometimes

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Macnult posted:

He’s a good boy. His facial expressions geek me out sometimes

tuxedo cats 4 life

take care of that cat

Macnult

Luvcow posted:

tuxedo cats 4 life

take care of that cat
he picked me when i visited the shelter i have no choice but to do so

Macnult

Also @LizWiz good song. I liked what I was hearing around the 30 minute mark. It made me feel like I was exploring a spooky abandoned area roughly 30 years into the future

bog pixie

http://tindeck.com/listen/rznv

FluffieDuckie

Hi :wave:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
:rznv:

POOL IS CLOSED

lol I'm dumb and sleepy and misread sorry 🙏

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO

Macnult posted:

I’m on mobile rn but I’ll give it a listen when I’m home

also I like your avatar it reminds me of my cat

What a handsome rascal of a cat!

POOL IS CLOSED

oh what?? forums ghosts ate my post. everything's confusing and i can't even blame a weed

Macnult

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

oh what?? forums ghosts ate my post. everything's confusing and i can't even blame a weed

i wanna pet that cat

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Cat: "I floof" :3:

beer pal

hi ectral

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

City of Glompton

puppies, cats, ectral & lurkers...this night really can't get much better

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

sb hermit

this is how I tried to do phone posting right now except it kept rotating the screen upside down and I gave up :(

FirstAidKite
hi, anybody get any neat games from the steam sale thats goin on right now?

what'd ya get, hopefully stuff you will enjoy :D

Macnult

el dorito posted:

this is how I tried to do phone posting right now except it kept rotating the screen upside down and I gave up :(

check if your phone has a portrait orientation lock or something and you’re set

Sininu

FirstAidKite posted:

Considering buying Firewatch and What Remains of Edith Finch on 5th when I get money. Perhaps few other games as well like Bayonetta which I'm going to try out through family share first and All Walls Must Fall.
What about you?

FirstAidKite

Sininu posted:

Considering buying Firewatch and What Remains of Edith Finch on 5th when I get money. Perhaps few other games as well like Bayonetta which I'm going to try out through family share first and All Walls Must Fall.
What about you?

I had 10 bucks saved up in steam card money so with that I bought Paint It Back (a cool picross game) for myself and Cook Serve Delicious 2 for my fiancee since she loved the first one and wanted the second one a lot.

some friends also gifted me some stuff but some of it was gag gifts so the quality is all over the place

on one hand there's "Arizona Rose and the Pirates' Riddles" which is a casual picross game with some hidden object scenes tossed in occasionally and it's really cheap-looking but it is fine since I like picross, then there's hiveswap or whatever the ms paint adventures game is called and man I don't know poo poo about ms paint adventures so I'm thankful the guy bought it for me but I feel bad because idk poo poo about it, and the same dude who gifted me that also gifted me an rpgmaker game about being a human who keeps getting attacked by and transformed into furry latex creatures and it's just like "welp yup this is someone's fetish, living liquid latex"

Sininu

FirstAidKite posted:

I had 10 bucks saved up in steam card money so with that I bought Paint It Back (a cool picross game) for myself and Cook Serve Delicious 2 for my fiancee since she loved the first one and wanted the second one a lot.

I've seen screenshots of picross games and I'm completely unable to figure out how they work. How do you solve them?

FirstAidKite

Sininu posted:

I've seen screenshots of picross games and I'm completely unable to figure out how they work. How do you solve them?

I'll run you through a super simple 8x8 one.

So picross is short for picture crossword. They are purely logic games. A well-designed picross puzzle (like the ones you'll find in Paint It Back) is a puzzle where you are given some info at the beginning and, using that info, can trace a route through the rest of the puzzle.

I'm going to represent a filled-in square with the color red, and I'm going to place an X in any square that isn't filled in.

So each number represents how many filled blocks there are in that row or column. For example, because this is an 8x8, that means there are 8 blocks in each row and in each column, so in the columns that have an "8" above them, you would fill in the entire column, and the same goes for the rows with "8" beside them.

Let's move on to the difference between multiple numbers and solo numbers. A solo number means that there are a number of filled blocks equal to that number within that row or column. Multiple numbers means that there are multiple groups of filled blocks that are separated by at least one unfilled block.

Using this info, if you look at the bottom two rows, you'll notice that there is a single 4. This means that somewhere in that row, there is a line of 4 filled blocks. We already have 2 blocks filled in and they are separate from one another, and since those rows only have 1 filled line each, that means we have to connect those two lines together. Thankfully, this results in a completed 4 for both of the bottom two rows.

The third row from the bottom is marked with a 6. We can follow the same steps we did with the 4 because we know that the two red blocks have to be connected to each other. However, this only gives us 4 red blocks out of the 6 required to finish that row. We have no way of knowing at the moment which blocks around it are filled in.

e: whoops I hit post too early. I'll continue in another post

Sininu

FirstAidKite posted:

I think I'm understanding it so far...

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It's never too early to get hosed up and watch movies with your dog because reality is hell and we're actually all skeletons wearing fleshy suits to pass among the "meaties."

bog pixie

beer pal posted:

hi ectral

beer pal...

Sininu

FirstAidKite posted:

Is the result this?

I'm not fully sure.
I still can't tell what the heck is going on here based on what I've learned:

It's a solved puzzle, right?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 30, 2018

FirstAidKite

We actually have 3 possibly patterns of filled blocks for that third from the bottom row, the one marked "6"

I will use the color blue to denote where a block could potentially be filled, but we don't know for certain unlike with the red blocks.

Keep in mind that a good picross puzzle will never have you guess. A hard puzzle may ask you to temporarily fill in some blocks and follow that path to see if it leads to a dead end or not, not you will never be asked to outright blindly guess. So there are 3 possible patterns. Let's ignore that for now and move on to something else.

Notice that in the top middle columns, there are two columns both labeled 5. In addition, the column they represent already has 5 filled blocks, so the remaining 3 blocks are unfilled, as we now know.

Since we now know where blocks can't be due to filling in those empty spaces with x's, we can now determine which blocks in the top 3 rows are filled. Note that the top 3 rows have 2 numbers each, meaning that they have to have separate lines representing each number.

We're actually almost done with this puzzle! If you look at the far left and far right columns, the ones with "4" listed above them, then you'll notice that each column already has a line of 4 blocks filled in, so we can safely fill the rest of the blocks with x's. Furthermore, we could have added the x's to the bottom rows earlier since we'd already solved for the bottom two rows that were both marked with "4"

The last thing to do in this puzzle is to solve for the "6" in the row third from the bottom/solve for the two 6's in the column 2nd from the left and the column second from the right. If you choose to solve it via the columns, you can just count out the filled blocks. Since the filled blocks started at the top of the puzzle, meaning you already know where one end point of that line is, you can just fill out the other end of the line until you reach the appropriate amount of filled blocks. If you choose to solve this by looking at the row instead, you can just look at how there are 4 filled blocks and 2 unfilled blocks, 4 + 2 = 6, and the end result is one of those 3 potential patterns from before.

Now, there's another way you could have started the puzzle. It's not a bad way, either, it just requires a bit of forethought, but it uses a very specific skill that is useful for solving picross puzzles. Let's take a look at the blank puzzle again.

Ok, let's focus on the 6 column that is second from the left. Remember how before we were looking at all of the potential patterns for one of the rows? This tactic requires you to do the same thing. Let's fill in all of the potential patterns for that particular column. I'll use blue again to denote the block patterns that are potentially filled.

For this puzzle, those are the only 3 patterns that could possibly fit into that column. There is one constant between all 3 of these patterns. No matter which pattern is picked, there are certain blocks that are always filled in. Using this tactic, we now know that regardless of what the line looks like, we know for a fact the location of some of the filled blocks.

Those 4 red blocks are always filled in, no matter what, as we deduced through trying out each potential pattern. If we look at the row marked "6" that is third from the bottom, we could easily use this same technique to discover some of the filled blocks, but also, now that there is a red block already filled in that line, that gives us enough information with which we can deduce more than we could if we were solving that row 6 first.

Basically, let's try out potential patterns for that row. Because of where that filled red block is, there are less potential patterns. As a result, there will be more blocks shared by both patterns.

No matter what, the four blocks immediately to the right of the red block are filled. Unfortunately, this itself isn't new info because we would have found this out if we had tried to solve this row first.

This does, however, give us a clue that we wouldn't have gotten by just trying to solve this row first. We now know that the far right block cannot possibly be filled in because neither of the patterns will reach that block. We can now mark that block with an x.

Note that the far right column is marked with a 4, but under that x there are only 2 blocks. There is no way to fill 4 blocks in under that x, so we can safely mark those with an x as well.

Then we can repeat the whole process of pattern testing with this now-smaller rightmost column. If we had tried to do this pattern testing at the start, we wouldn't have been able to because there were no blocks that were filled in each and every iteration of that column's potential patterns. However, we've now shrunk that column from 8 to 5 by finding out that the bottom 3 blocks can't possibly be filled. If we check all of the potential patterns of 4 filled blocks in the right row, we'll get these as potential choices.

From that, we can deduce that the following blocks will always be filled in.

And then from THAT we can deduce even further because the lines are starting along the side of the puzzle so we just have to fill in the other side until we fill out the required amount of blocks, resulting in this.

Then so on and so forth etc etc etc until we end up at the solution again :)

FirstAidKite

Sininu posted:

Is the result this?

I'm not fully sure.
It's solved puzzle, right?

You got it! :D

Sininu posted:

yeah the tougher puzzles like that just require you to take those skills you learned solving smaller puzzles and extrapolating it out to bigger numbers. Thankfully if you're not comfortable with that, Paint It Back's difficulty is based around what difficulty you choose for each puzzle, with the toughest difficulty being an entire puzzle all at once like in that screenshot there and the lower difficulties only asking you to solve a bunch of smaller picross puzzles that, when put together, equal the same picture.

my cat Bakal is now trying to interact with the hammock byob cat. he just got up here and got real close to it and is just lookin at it and then back to me and then back to it like "dad how to I get that cat, that cat is my friend"

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Now imagine doing all that with a third dimension.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTqCEYah2wQ

It's actually not that much harder; they deliberately keep the numbers small.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 30, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED

my cat is trying to rotate all the byob images manually

FirstAidKite
the worst picross puzzle I ever solved was one in a real old lovely pc disc game from the 90s where if I tabbed out, it'd turn just the picross portion of the screen black and I'd have to restart, and also the puzzle gave you no feedback on whether you were correct or not and dammit bakal stop pawing at the kitty in the corner, he's not real he's just 3 frames of animation, and also the picross puzzle was wrong because they put the wrong numbers in so it was actually impossible to do without brute forcing it by trying to get every other row and column correct so that I could narrow down where the creator screwed up.

the end pic was worth it I guess tho because it was a pic of one of my fiancee's fave anime characters looking pissed and annoyed, about as pissed and annoyed as I was after finishing up that puzzle lol

which I edited and fixed up

Sininu

Thank you FAK for the in-depth explaination :)
I might try the demo of Paint It Back later.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Sininu posted:

Is the result this?

I'm not fully sure.

It's a solved puzzle, right?

You eventually develop a heuristic for the inferred shading. I'd never written it down so I thought I'd give it a try.

Let A = the length of available space
Let n = the hint length
Let I = the number of inferred spaces, starting from the midpoint. If A is even, this must be at least 2 to be actionable.

I = A - 2(A - n)

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I think the one missing thing from the description so far, that's very useful, is the notion that when there are several numbers, sometimes there's a non-obvious immediately complete solution, eg. if the grid is 10x10 and one of the rows is "4 3 1" you can fill that row now because each gap between numbers must be a space of at least 1, so that adds up to 10 squares.

And also, similar to the "a 6 in an 8-wide space means you can fill in the middle 4", if you have eg. "4 4" in a 10-wide space, you only have one space unaccounted for, which means there is a maximum of one unoccupied space at the left or right, so you can immediately fill in like -xxx--xxx-

Edit: more generically, you can think of it as how many squares of 'wiggle room' there are. If you add your numbers plus one for each gap, and subtract that from the row size, you get the 'wiggle-room' number, then for each block larger than the wiggle-room, you go to the leftmost place that block can be, add the wiggle-room number of spaces, and then you can fill in blocksize minus wiggle room squares.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 30, 2018

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

FirstAidKite posted:

I got West of Loathing, which was alright but I regret getting it, I wouldn't say it was worth it.

I removed Bayonetta from my wishlist, because since I added it I got Devil May Cry free, which it's apparently similar to, and I didn't like Devil May Cry so I assume that means I wouldn't like Bayonetta. So that was nice!

Some good sales on things you probably would not have thought of getting:
Miracle Fly - if you like SNES-style Mario-genre games, this is a really well made one. Not a jumping game, it's a more original mechanism, but the feel is similar, and it's got great level design and variety and it's under $3.
Crypt of the Necrodancer - a rhythm roguelike. What? Yes. Also under $3.
Beyond Good and Evil - I don't even know what genre this is but it's one of my favorite games, if you can tolerate dated 3D (it's cartoony so the dated-ness isn't as jarring as it might be). Also under $3 I think.

sb hermit

hamjobs posted:

It's never too early to get hosed up and watch movies with your dog because reality is hell and we're actually all skeletons wearing fleshy suits to pass among the "meaties."

:same:

I am one with a fleshy meat exterior, it’s working out pretty well.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
aw that's a shame about west of loathing. I enjoyed that game a lot, what didn't you like about it? if the writing wasn't your cup of tea then yeah I can imagine it being a huge drag but I already knew I'd enjoy it going into it because I like kingdom of loathing a bunch