Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alternately, dynamic disks have more options for changing volume size because they decouple the volume (ie "SAIKLER G:") and the partition (ie the chunk of disk space represented by the blue bar). With a dynamic disk, you could extend that partition into the unused space; what would actually be happening is that windows would make a new MBR/GPT partition in the unused space and then declare them to both be the same volume.

Converting from basic into a dynamic disk is lossless, but converting back to a basic disk is not. However, dynamic disks are slightly more bother to work with and that may not be what you want on your external backup drive.

For copying everything off a drive for backup / moving partitions around, look at robocopy if you can handle the basics of a command line program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You can extend or shrink a partition on a non dynamic disk. The only reason to use them is to use Windows built in RAID stuff.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Today's Windows 10 ExperienceTM is brought to you by OneDrive!

After a big update, the OneDrive service decided to not be installed on my main PC any longer, then after I got it installed again and running at startup, it got confused, looked at the folder full of pictures I'd spent a lazy Sunday afternoon downloading that hadn't yet been uploaded and made them all vanish forever. Nothing in recycle bin both local and online, just gone forever on all my devices.

Thanks Windows!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Today's Windows 10 ExperienceTM is brought to you by OneDrive!

After a big update, the OneDrive service decided to not be installed on my main PC any longer, then after I got it installed again and running at startup, it got confused, looked at the folder full of pictures I'd spent a lazy Sunday afternoon downloading that hadn't yet been uploaded and made them all vanish forever. Nothing in recycle bin both local and online, just gone forever on all my devices.

Thanks Windows!

Use a file recovery program and it should hopefully be able to recover them since the sectors probably haven't been overwritten yet. That's crazy though and has always been a huge worry of mine with any of the cloud stuff.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Raldikuk posted:

Use a file recovery program and it should hopefully be able to recover them since the sectors probably haven't been overwritten yet. That's crazy though and has always been a huge worry of mine with any of the cloud stuff.

If you have an SSD you can't be sure about that, because of TRIM.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Having a backup mitigates these issues, though...

Cloud service “ate” your data, causing files to cease to exist both remotely and locally. Restore those files from your recent (daily or hourly) backup.

Not trying to be that guy, nor a pedant, but let’s be honest here.

Hard drive failure? Thread asks about your backups. Windows feature update broke Windows? Thread asks about your backups.

Same thing. Sucks that it did that, but it’s preventable.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 26, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

OneDrive sucks a fat one, but I'll reiterate this like I always do: don't use sync solutions as backups

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Last Chance posted:

OneDrive sucks a fat one, but I'll reiterate this like I always do: don't use sync solutions as backups

I use OneDrive but also have a daily backup running on a standard external hard drive, monthly I put it on my external USB drive that I keep locked up, and once a year I dig up the secret drive I have in my back yard and.... Okay maybe not that bad, but yeah, it's insanely important to have redundancy in your backups that are redundant.

I learned my backup lesson as a youth when I hid some "important documents" in C:\Windows\Temp. Also had a hard drive crash where I lost years of pictures.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I do have an offline backup, just not for that one folder yet. It was just really, really bizarre.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So regarding the issue with windows getting repositioned as my monitor powers down (which wasn't a problem in XP, which is what I was running when I bought these monitors in 2008) I ended up using this little utility which repositions the windows when the monitor comes back: http://www.ninjacrab.com/persistent-windows/

Not having much luck with LittleBigMouse though. As soon as I enable it, it blocks any attempt at crossing the monitor border at all.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Display port/HDMI connection? Sometimes the monitor itself has a setting in the menus to stay persistent when off or sleeping. I got so pissed off at this problem, I bought a Nvidia 1070 which doesn't do it on my HDMI 2.0 monitor for some reason.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I have the same problem. It's infuriating. It also seems to come and go based on the whims of builds of Windows 10 and Nvidia's drivers. I have Display Fusion installed and it has very handy "save window positions" and "restore window positions" features that I now make extensive use of.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

xamphear posted:

I have the same problem. It's infuriating. It also seems to come and go based on the whims of builds of Windows 10 and Nvidia's drivers. I have Display Fusion installed and it has very handy "save window positions" and "restore window positions" features that I now make extensive use of.

I had an AMD rx480 that would always disconnect the monitor when it was turned off, then all my windows would either switch to my 2nd screen, or if it was off, go to the top left corner of the desktop at about 800x600. I actually shitcanned that card just because of that crap. It made be absolutely insane. And crazy, the nvidia card does not to it at all via HDMI 2.0.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

wolrah posted:

The tl;dr version is that expanding a partition "to the right" is pretty much just a matter of updating the partition table and maybe some metadata depending on the filesystem in use. Expanding it "to the left" involves moving all of the header data and editing any data that's based on the offset from the beginning of the partition. The former is pretty much impossible to screw up, the latter has a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong.

On the other hand it's pretty simple to move the entire partition to the left and afterwards expand it to the right. It's easier to do that than shrinking a partition, which windows has been able to do for years. There's no particularly good reason you have to use a third-party tool to scoot a partition over.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

redeyes posted:

I had an AMD rx480 that would always disconnect the monitor when it was turned off, then all my windows would either switch to my 2nd screen, or if it was off, go to the top left corner of the desktop at about 800x600. I actually shitcanned that card just because of that crap. It made be absolutely insane. And crazy, the nvidia card does not to it at all via HDMI 2.0.
I have a 1080ti that I will not be shitcanning and it does it on all DP ports. I spent hours looking into it, and it's either a misbehaving monitor, misbehaving drivers, or "working exactly as the DisplayPort spec requires." I gave up and found a workaround that kinda sucks, but there's a limit to how much time I can spend banging my head against any one issue/annoyance.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

xamphear posted:

I have a 1080ti that I will not be shitcanning and it does it on all DP ports. I spent hours looking into it, and it's either a misbehaving monitor, misbehaving drivers, or "working exactly as the DisplayPort spec requires." I gave up and found a workaround that kinda sucks, but there's a limit to how much time I can spend banging my head against any one issue/annoyance.

Have you tried a DP to HDMI 2.0 active adapter? Might help, might not.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

xamphear posted:

If you can, connect it with HDMI or DVI to your monitor, this way Windows will not "remove" the device when it is turned off.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

redeyes posted:

Have you tried a DP to HDMI 2.0 active adapter? Might help, might not.

I need 10bit 4K60 RGB, so HDMI is a no go.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

If you can, connect it with HDMI or DVI to your monitor, this way Windows will not "remove" the device when it is turned off.

I actually tried this! It treats the monitor as two devices (they each show up in device manager with names and entities) and it does all the same stuff. Oh, unless you were just suggesting the same basic thing as redeyes, in which case the same limitation applies. I need DP's bandwidth.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 27, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

xamphear posted:

I need 10bit 4K60 RGB, so HDMI is a no go.

I actually tried this! It treats the monitor as two devices (they each show up in device manager with names and entities) and it does all the same stuff. Oh, unless you were just suggesting the same basic thing as redeyes, in which case the same limitation applies. I need DP's bandwidth.

Ah gotcha. It can do 442 10bit 4k60 but yeah not RGB. Which monitor are we talking about?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xamphear posted:

Disconnecting when the monitor is turned off is according to spec.
Disconnecting occasionally when in sleep / soft-off is a bug in the monitor or videocard or both.

Windows removing the display surface and moving all your windows is not a bug; they do that because it would be very inconvenient for people with laptop docks otherwise. But it's mildly irksome that MS could fix this forever with a checkbox somewhere to not add or remove screens on the fly, only at boot.

I also have this problem (1060, 1 DP + 1 DVI monitors). It feels like it's been more or less frequent depending on video driver versions. If that feeling is correct I suspect the problem has something to do with power management on the GPU. But I'm not sure that it isn't just apophenia on my part.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I read that maybe you can stop it from doing that by disabling USB sleep modes in Control Panel, Power. Why that applies to DP I have no idea but worth a try.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Unfortunately my problem is on a work laptop with an Optimus and Dell e-view dock, so replacing cards isn't really an option

They're also hooked up DVI-DVI, which is odd given most folk are reporting this as a DP issue.

That little utility I linked sorts the problem out well enough though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This *sounds* like the same issue as the one as reported here:

https://techreport.com/news/33781/nvidia-releases-firmware-fix-for-boot-issues-with-newer-displayport-monitors

However, that firmware tool is strictly desktop cards only, with no fix for discrete notebook GPUs in sight.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hot Plug Detect is a standard used across HDMI, DVI-D, and DisplayPort, so the behaviour is consistent across the different cables.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ghostlight posted:

Hot Plug Detect is a standard used across HDMI, DVI-D, and DisplayPort, so the behaviour is consistent across the different cables.

The behavior is supposed to be consistent, but it's not. More often than not it works as one would normally expect on DVI/HDMI, though there are exceptions, and aggressively disconnects on DisplayPort.

This behavior is absolutely not required by the DisplayPort spec, as much as some people like to claim, but I do believe the reason is relevant to the DisplayPort spec in a different way.

Both DVI/HDMI and DisplayPort specs require that the monitor be able to identify itself any time Hot Plug Detect is asserted. On DVI, and thus also in HDMI, this can be handled by a brain dead simple I2C ROM serving the EDID data. On DisplayPort this data is transferred as packets over the DP Aux channel.

My belief is that the DP Aux channel is implemented in many monitors on the main CPU, and that keeping it up thus causes a meaningful amount of parasitic power draw. Parasitic draw is becoming a regulated issue in some regions, so rather than minimize the power consumption of this operation they just "follow the spec" and deassert the signal when they want to go in to low power mode.

This idea is supported by the fact that on some monitors disabling power saving modes resolve the issue and makes it behave normally. Unfortunately not all expose this kind of option. Why some monitors also do this on DVI/HDMI I don't have a good explanation, other than maybe the same reason plus being too cheap to add a few bytes of low-end ROM.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

I tried finding it inside Windows but couldn’t; did you go through the website?
Sorry to ask again, but after combing over everything, I only get the phone number. I guess I could call, but I just hate customer support over phone, especially since it's some global hotline. I can't even remember how to call those.

The "chat" up to that point was just some chat bot serving as a trumped-up search engine.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 30, 2018

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You did say it said your license was tied to your account. Did you try the procedure Microsoft recommends, as spelled out in the second half of this article?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yep.

But, the PC listed is named "Desktop", which sounds more like the old computer than the new one. My current computer name, if that's the one listed under CP > System and Security > System is DESKTOP-(alphanumeric salad), so I'm not sure it's the right PC.

And if I select it and hit Next Activate, I just get this supremely useless screen:

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 30, 2018

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This seems to show how to tease the chatbot into showing you the chat to a real person option.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

This seems to show how to tease the chatbot into showing you the chat to a real person option.
loving FINALLY. I entered `slui` in the command prompt, which popped up a CD key prompt. Entered my Windows 8 Pro key, and it finally got activated. My key differed from the last four digits Windows 10 showed, but I assume that was the Win10-ified key for my Win8.

Thanks a billion, man.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Guy with monitor issues, try disabling power saving in monitor settings

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

After a big update, the OneDrive service decided to not be installed on my main PC any longer

This is hilarious because I do all I can to exorcise OneDrive from my system and big updates I've observed across several machines since late 2016 have reliably shoved OneDrive back in place as if to taunt me.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

OneDrive is apparently included in a fresh install as well. Thankfully you can uninstall it like any other program.

I say this because 1803 was finally pushed out to me and I decided a while back that due to all the headaches I've read about it, I'd just reformat when it's time to update. So that's what I did yesterday. ASUS still hasn't updated the drivers for my motherboard but I went ahead and got the latest and all seems ok so far. The new BIOS froze on me once when changing a few settings which makes me nervous as gently caress, but I've encountered no such issues in Windows itself.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah you can uninstall OneDrive. On your specific logged in profile. Anyone else who logs in gets it right back though. Cool!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
When I get one of those dumb chatbots I just paste "live human now" into it until it does it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GreenNight posted:

Yeah you can uninstall OneDrive. On your specific logged in profile. Anyone else who logs in gets it right back though. Cool!

I use OneDrive for all my cloud junk because it works fine and is free with Office. I use it regularly, and I actually enjoy the service.

For some reason, every fresh Windows install pisses me off seeing the OneDrive poo poo. Maybe it's the lack of agency in the decision to bake it into the OS? I don't know.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

I use OneDrive for all my cloud junk because it works fine and is free with Office. I use it regularly, and I actually enjoy the service.

For some reason, every fresh Windows install pisses me off seeing the OneDrive poo poo. Maybe it's the lack of agency in the decision to bake it into the OS? I don't know.

Onedrive/SharePoint + Flow have become my new best friends. They've come a long way.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I prefer OneDrive to Google Drive. :shrug:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My biggest problem with pretty much any cloud storage service is there's no local syncing. Got a new laptop, if I want to have all 100 gigs of stuff in my folder, I have to download it and eat up my bandwidth. Can't even throw it on a thumb drive and copy it the old fashioned way. Learned that the hard way when it uploaded everything again so I had doubles of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Wow that's phenomenally dumb. How have they not figured that out?