Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Yeah, I wish the game had acknowledged the fact that you are refrozen after you see Shaun get taken. Yet for some reason, you are forced to act like it's only possible that a few seconds or minutes have passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it was definitely my first thought as soon as the pod re-froze, and I'm sure it was everyone else's

but that's that people want, predictable boilerplate. any kind of unconventional story/twist would just confuse people, and when people feel confused they get angry

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The plot of fallout 4 is the robot detective and the silver shroud go on adventures.

this neighborhood is ill and I AM THE CURE :madmax:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You need to give the medium some credit.

Fwiw, in Skyrim, once I was a Daedra worshiping werewolf Dragonrider, I joined the Stormcloaks, but I quit that playthrough because what really happened was I burned every single one of those Imperial bootlickers to ash and left no stone of their homes atop another.

My second playthrough was a Khajit Illusionist who "isn't the Dragonborn". I skipped the first story quests and he wanders around casting the highest level Calm on most enemies and only does sidequests.

Sometimes you just need to ignore poo poo, do what you want, and headcanon poo poo. It's a video game.

Vinylshadow posted:

That's because you actually defrost a few hours after Shaun is taken and then spend a few decades rebuilding the Commonwealth before being reminded about your son

My, how time flies when you're trying to build a house that doesn't look like utter garbage before neatly organizing your army of Power Armor frames, organized by level, color, and type

Unfortunately, nobody in your Settlement wants to play chess using them as pieces, which is disappointing

I have most of the north side of the Commonwealth relatively secure and built up after ~100 days and I figured after seeing Behemoths and super mutants you'd decide that you needed allies in the Commonwealth if you were going to take down a guy who was badass enough to raid vaults? I'm actually just now about to go get Nick and see if he can help me look for Shaun. In character, I don't even know he's a synth yet.

Also, you are a psychopath.

2house2fly posted:

Really the problem is people still in the "your character" mindset. The main character in Fallout 4 isn't your character, he's Emil Pagliarulo's character

Have you never played pickup tabletop RPGs with prebaked characters? I made the character my own within the confines of the game.

The New Vegas amnesiac Courier is much hokier writing, yet everyone seems to scream in a froth over how much better the plot is in NV, even though the ending is pants-on-head! For some reason, even though I am backed up by an army of missile firing robots, I need to go fight this Legion dude mano-a-mano! What the poo poo was up with that?

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 30, 2018

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
NV has a much better story than 4. Any "screaming and frothing" about that is your own delusion, however.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The courier is not an amnesiac.

You're the kind of player who just follows Liberty Prime around letting it do all the work aren't you?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 30, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
New Vegas Mods - The Fallout 76 Experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koV7ZZB2Ufw

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Sheen Sheen posted:

NV has a much better story than 4. Any "screaming and frothing" about that is your own delusion, however.

the story in new Vegas is also pretty bad. the writing is good, but the actual story they're telling isn't particularly engaging, and it's the fallout-archetypal 'decide which faction controls this games macguffin'.

Arcsquad12 posted:

he's not an amnesiac, but because you're a character who ostensibly already existed but is relying on other people explaining almost everything to them, it's not hard to understand why someone would think they were.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

You're the kind of player who just follows Liberty Prime around letting it do all the work aren't you?

That's what giant combat robots are for?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They originally planned NV to have a big war scene with all the active assets and toyed with less complex NPCs and critters (hence the unused "dam fight" versions in the game files with lobotomized AI) but it just couldn't work because the 360 and PS3 could not handle that many NPCs at the same time, period. It worked great on PC at least.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the story in new Vegas is also pretty bad. the writing is good, but the actual story they're telling isn't particularly engaging, and it's the fallout-archetypal 'decide which faction controls this games macguffin'.

I found the story to be plenty engaging and if you didn't, well, I'm sorry, that sounds like a personal problem.

Also, "which faction controls the macguffin" is reductive and only really applies to Fallout 3. NV isn't about who controls the Hoover Dam, it's about who controls the Mojave and, by extension, writes the next chapter of the human story post-apocalypse. Fallout 3 just boils down to "do bad guys or good guys control water thing (also you're terrible if you didn't needlessly sacrifice yourself)"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vegas doesn't really have a plot so to speak. Depending on how you play, the hint for the platinum chip might not even matter in the grand scheme of things. It's a setting and the stakes are the Mojave. You just happen to be an exceptionally capable mailman.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Is it really archetypal when it only really happened in New Vegas and 4? F1, 2, 3 are all "help the BoS kill the bad guys, and maybe arbitrarily kill them afterwards for no reason or benefit to get evil points."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

he's not an amnesiac, but because you're a character who ostensibly already existed but is relying on other people explaining almost everything to them, it's not hard to understand why someone would think they were.

The dialogue options let you choose how much your Courier knows about anything and where they've been. You can play him as not knowing a thing and having to ask about every single faction and person around, or you can ignore those dialogue options and also tell them that you're familiar with places like Chicago and even know what fish are.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What are super mutants?

Ghouls?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The thing about Bethesda, is that no one even tries to do what they do because it is loving hard. Other big open world games will always pare down features to simplify things. The Witcher doesn't have to worry about what happens if you replace an NPC's equipment with pickpocket. Venom Snake is never going to try to punch Miller in the face during a cutscene.

Only in a Bethesda game would you be able to pick up a random basket (because we want players to be able to interact with everything), put it on top of an NPC's head (because we want there to be a high fidelity physics system), have that impair their vision (because NPCs have true line of sight checks) and then steal poo poo right in front of them (because the game has stealth, stealing and pickpocketing).

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Is it really archetypal when it only really happened in New Vegas and 4? F1, 2, 3 are all "help the BoS kill the bad guys, and maybe arbitrarily kill them afterwards for no reason or benefit to get evil points."

F1 is actually "save your home" and is about the necessities of survival in a state of nature, how conflict fundamentally changes people, and Authoritarianism. You can completely beat the game without ever talking to the BoS, they're just one faction of many you can interact with who happen to have a better grasp on more than their local area. F2 uses the same concept, with a different driving message about Authoritarianism and the danger of clinging to the past. The BoS aren't even really a faction in it, they're declining in the NCR because Shady Sands + the Bone Yard got their poo poo together, and the BoS clung to heavily to their traditions (like the Enclave clings to their "genetics"). F3 sorta tells a story, I guess, and actually is about helping the BoS do a thing and then arbitrarily deciding if you want to be good or evil with the push of a button at the end that has no relevance to anything else you've done so far and also your family.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Vegas doesn't really have a plot so to speak. Depending on how you play, the hint for the platinum chip might not even matter in the grand scheme of things. It's a setting and the stakes are the Mojave. You just happen to be an exceptionally capable mailman.

The plot of New Vegas is "the Courier is shot in the head, then decides the outcome of the Second Battle Of Hoover Dam". Literally everything outside of those two things is optional, which is p badass

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I always thought the plot of Fallout 4 is that "Nate" is suffering from PTSD and chasing down his son because he thinks he is responsible for the death of his wife.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Fallout 4 sucks because there's already a main character, you just play him.
Fallout 3 sucked for the same reason.
Fallout New Vegas, as well, to some extent.

I don't like being spoonfed the reasons why I exist, or else I'd just play The Witcher. Let me have my open world, drat it.

e. Rather, I'd like to have just a simple ambiguous start, rather than arrive to find that my character has been responsible for happenings beyond my own control. New Vegas, as said before, is less of an offender, because you are playing the part of an amnesiac and you can decide to just let go and begin again. Even 3 had somewhat of an out, because I'm really only chasing daddy's footprints, but both of them are still guilty because that's Bethesda basically leaving me breadcrumbs to decide what I do for a linear game experience. I can tell the bread crumbs to gently caress off, but then I'll probably just end up breaking something later.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 1, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Comparing the story of NV to 3, or even 4, I find it helps to look at the DLC areas. I can tell you exactly what themes and conflicts are at the core of Lonesome Road, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, and Dead Money. Hell, that last one stated it outright: "Let go. Begin again." They're repeating & riffing on the theme of the main game, the theme that's present in the faction warfare, most every minor faction, and your companions' stories. So, yes, the critical path is probably no better or worse in NV than its siblings, but it's well-reasoned and polished.

Shout outs to Far Harbor for exploring the issue of synth personhood that makes up the bulk of 4's faction warfare. It's odd that 4 has a post-apocalyptic setting and went with "what is a soul" as it's motivating issue, but I can tell you what three of the four factions think about synths. I thought Act 3 was decently written, though again, did not expect to choose sides based on whether androids are people. It would've been stronger if you could see their respective treatments of synths as people, tools, and abominations reflected in their treatment of real people.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Fallout 4 sucks because there's already a main character, you just play him.
Fallout 3 sucked for the same reason.
Fallout New Vegas, as well, to some extent.

I don't like being spoonfed the reasons why I exist, or else I'd just play The Witcher. Let me have my open world, drat it.

e. Rather, I'd like to have just a simple ambiguous start, rather than arrive to find that my character has been responsible for happenings beyond my own control. New Vegas, as said before, is less of an offender, because you are playing the part of an amnesiac and you can decide to just let go and begin again. Even 3 had somewhat of an out, because I'm really only chasing daddy's footprints, but both of them are still guilty because that's Bethesda basically leaving me breadcrumbs to decide what I do for a linear game experience. I can tell the bread crumbs to gently caress off, but then I'll probably just end up breaking something later.

If you count New Vegas as falling into this trap, you count pretty much every RPG as falling into this trap. The Courier is a blank. A nothing character. You've got no past besides "is a mailman", no family or old friends; all that is for you to decide. It's the same as in FO1 where your origin is "vault dweller from this one vault" and FO2 where your origin is "stinky tribal from Arroyo". Theoretically both the FO1 and FO2 protagonists have pasts but they're not part of the story you're playing at all.

FO3 and FO4 differ because your characters have a past that directly impacts and drives your main quest, and they rely on the player giving a poo poo about that emotional connection in the story.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Kanos posted:

The Courier is a blank. A nothing character. You've got no past besides "is a mailman", no family or old friends; all that is for you to decide.

I used to think this until Lonesome Road.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Eh, Ulysses is a certified nutjob, nothing he says has to be true

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I've been getting creative, and this is what I've got for Starlight Drive-In so far.

It's a work in progress at the moment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Even then, the incident is basically a random day in your life. Couriers have delivered plenty of packages, of course. To you, that day was just another package. It bears no more meaning on the Courier you create than whether or not the Vault Dweller from Vault 13 once stole a bottle of beer five years before being sent out to find the water chip, unless you decide that it matters after finding out.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Is there really an appreciable difference between "is a mailman" and "has been a mailman for at least a few years"

I mean the only blanker slate than that is "is a prisoner" in Elder Scrolls and even that ties you to some grander destiny.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheen Sheen posted:

I found the story to be plenty engaging and if you didn't, well, I'm sorry, that sounds like a personal problem.

Also, "which faction controls the macguffin" is reductive and only really applies to Fallout 3. NV isn't about who controls the Hoover Dam, it's about who controls the Mojave and, by extension, writes the next chapter of the human story post-apocalypse. Fallout 3 just boils down to "do bad guys or good guys control water thing (also you're terrible if you didn't needlessly sacrifice yourself)"

iirc if you have the super mutant bro with you at the time, you can win without anyone dying.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I've been getting creative, and this is what I've got for Starlight Drive-In so far.

It's a work in progress at the moment.

That looks :krad:

The Starlight Dayspa

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

iirc if you have the super mutant bro with you at the time, you can win without anyone dying.

Or the robot or the ghoul, but this was only after they added Broken Steel. Its especially egregious with Charon because his backstory is literally that he will follow the orders of anyone who holds his contract, no matter how much he disagrees morally with said actions.

Though I don't think you actually die if you go in yourself in Broken Steel either, the only actual 'game over' is of you both refuse to go and won't give anyone else the code, causing the entire building to just explode and kill everyone. Which is kind of a fitting end for 3, really.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
poo poo. I fired up New Vegas. The textures look like the results of a wet fart. My guy's face looks like hamburger. gently caress. I bet the gun play would give me a seizure. Time to keep playing fallout 4.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jeff Goldblum posted:

...where your past is "is a mailman"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Or the robot or the ghoul, but this was only after they added Broken Steel. Its especially egregious with Charon because his backstory is literally that he will follow the orders of anyone who holds his contract, no matter how much he disagrees morally with said actions.

Though I don't think you actually die if you go in yourself in Broken Steel either, the only actual 'game over' is of you both refuse to go and won't give anyone else the code, causing the entire building to just explode and kill everyone. Which is kind of a fitting end for 3, really.

If you have Broken Steel installed, you or Sarah Lyons miraculously survive turning the machine on. If you send anyone but yourself to do it (even the radiation-immune people), the ending slide audio will still lambaste you for being unwilling to sacrifice yourself for no goddamn reason.

It almost feels like they never intended for anything but the railroaded ending where the Lone Wanderer is either good and commits suicide for the wasteland or is bad and doesn't do it, and Emil Pagliarulo was really pissed when the fans hated it and made sure to write the most passive-aggressive mockery of the player he could fit in.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

It's already been mentioned that this was only added after late-stage DLC, but I'm pretty sure Ron Perlman still scolds you even if you send Fawkes to his not-death even after Broken Steel. Like, who gives a loving poo poo? Don't scold me because I found a solution where everyone wins Bethesda

vandalism posted:

poo poo. I fired up New Vegas. The textures look like the results of a wet fart. My guy's face looks like hamburger. gently caress. I bet the gun play would give me a seizure. Time to keep playing fallout 4.

Your loss!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

vandalism posted:

Man if you really wanna have your mind blown play a game made before 2008

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I tried to play FO 1 and 2 and they move so slowly I thought they weren’t running correctly on my PC. Just unplayable.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Man if you really wanna have your mind blown play a game made before 2008

hmm yeah sure thing grandpa

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

*sees stock footage of a PS2 game and begins screaming and making GBS threads uncontrollably*

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also forget the stuff that no one really cares about like story, setting, cohesive narrative or choice & consequence.

The real reason New Vegas is the best Fallout yet is because the opening sequence doesn't take for-loving-ever and it only takes 2 or 3 minutes before you're out and free on the open to do whatever the gently caress you want and go wherever you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Look... we can say graphics don't matter all day, but we know that's only true up to a certain point. I am rimworld like it's my second job. However, fnv looks like horse poo poo compared to 4. If they ported new Vegas to the engine they used for 4, I would jizz myself. Also, new Vegas looked amazing and was fun as hell when it came out and I'm sure still fun. My guy just looks like beef jerky. Game still owns.