Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Solefald posted:

Anyone else remember the "pop man"?
Yess. I recently rediscovered that Barr do that bubblegum soda that tastes of some kind of blend of imitation fruit esters. :yum:

e: Again? H226 is the GHS hazard statement for flammable liquids and vapours, which covers most esters and probably the concentrate for that bubblegum stuff.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solefald posted:

L o l

That reminds me. Anyone else remember the "pop man"? Green cream soda is the taste of my childhood ❤

Lowcocks?

Because yes I really want something that tastes like green cream soda. M&S used to do one but they stopped.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Went to the NHS protest in Westminster for a while. Kinda lukewarm protest. But the visibility was pretty good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

this doesn't sound very environmentally responsible
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44668572
also the picture of angry Gove is hilarious

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WhatEvil posted:

Noodle chat

If you're actually making meals you could try something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2emsO2gYE8s

and go for a low-calorie version if you want. Ramen's good as a snack but you need some healthy stuff in there too if it's gonna be real food, or your god will punish you

McDragon posted:

Gonna assume it went a little like this

https://twitter.com/AshAgony/status/991560502810640385

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 30, 2018

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If you're looking for quick Chinese snacks, I can confirm that chopped cucumbers with salt, szechuan pepper, chilli oil and rice vinegar is the food of the gods.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

McDragon posted:

Didn't the EU already discard that "customs partnership" plan anyway? And the Tories are still arguing over whether they approve of it or not?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loooooool

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rToaZUjMcKY&t=72s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I know this thread contains a number of people who a: like city building games and b: like complaining about capitalism, you all might enjoy this series that just started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQzfa4iXxZ4

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pochoclo posted:

Didn't the EU already discard that "customs partnership" plan anyway? And the Tories are still arguing over whether they approve of it or not?

They're banking on the British public being massively uninformed about what's happening on the EU side (which is fair) so they can just theatrically strut around making grand speeches named after places and announcing plans to bring to the negotiations like this is somehow progress. They have nothing whatsoever so they're just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic and feigning confidence so when it all collapses they can go "oh no! It was going so well and in good faith!!" and hope everyone piles on the EU for sabotaging BRITANE

drat I was gonna steal this if it had the part I was thinking of when I was typing that post. The bit where they vote and only opposing voice is that little guy, and when they finally ask who's doing it he goes "it was him *points at chad* let's get him" and everyone beats up the wrong dude

:itisabrexitanalogy:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 30, 2018

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

WhatEvil posted:

...and that I have SEVERE hayfever (if you go to the doc and say that supermarket hayfever pills are not good enough, they will put you on 1x180mg Fexofenadine/day as a start... I am on 4/day which is the maximum and still suffer) means that I need aircon or I'd be dying in the summer either from heat or from tearing my throat/nose/eyes out.

Fellow Hayfever comrade PLEASE do yourself a favour and lookup the kenalog injection. It’s not on the NHS (as a steroid, any bad reaction someone might have would be three weeks of resources used so they stopped using it on cost/benefit analysis) and it will cost around £50 but it is loving magic. I had such bad hayfever that I would be off sick 2/3 days a week and the only thing I could do was stay in bed the entire day. I’ve now had two summer with at most slightly itchy eyes and no rivers of mucus.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Every time I see this I think why didn't he just put it in one of the bins?

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

Praseodymi posted:

Every time I see this I think why didn't he just put it in one of the bins?

Prolly cuz he wanted to prove himself as a true manly Proud Boy and putting it in the bin would be for pussy beta cucks or something

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

baka kaba posted:

drat I was gonna steal this if it had the part I was thinking of when I was typing that post. The bit where they vote and only opposing voice is that little guy, and when they finally ask who's doing it he goes "it was him *points at chad* let's get him" and everyone beats up the wrong dude

:itisabrexitanalogy:

This part?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grupR1xTLvc

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Aidan_702 posted:

Fellow Hayfever comrade PLEASE do yourself a favour and lookup the kenalog injection. It’s not on the NHS (as a steroid, any bad reaction someone might have would be three weeks of resources used so they stopped using it on cost/benefit analysis) and it will cost around £50 but it is loving magic. I had such bad hayfever that I would be off sick 2/3 days a week and the only thing I could do was stay in bed the entire day. I’ve now had two summer with at most slightly itchy eyes and no rivers of mucus.

Thanks for the tip, I might try it out. Are you also taking antihistamines still?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ja!

I've just decided that cool guy is clearly Corbyn

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Solefald posted:

L o l

That reminds me. Anyone else remember the "pop man"? Green cream soda is the taste of my childhood ❤

Ah yes :) When grandparents used to visit on a Bank Holiday, the Corona man - we were allowed a bottle of luminous fizzy stuff. Dad would sometimes be a devil and get a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock too. That was before he started making his own wine at home and we would drink a pint of elderflower wine each at Sunday lunchtime and be totally blotto all afternoon (aged 12!) - he didn't seem to register that kids shouldn't really be drinking it (well not in pint glasses anyway!), it wasn't pop!

https://imgur.com/RFe1T2p

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

Yess. I recently rediscovered that Barr do that bubblegum soda that tastes of some kind of blend of imitation fruit esters. :yum:

Oh gently caress that soda, I had it once and it was absolutely vile.

Their raspberryade though :discourse:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm just not a fan of political violence unless it's done by the police to students and leftists, then it's just them getting the hiding they need bring back national service warm pint of beer all grown up it's coming home

Come and see the violence inherent in the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axE83zcx6wY

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

An angry Michael Gove reportedly ripped up papers on post-Brexit customs options after his concerns about the proposals were downplayed.

The Sun reported that the environment secretary was so angry at the snub that he tore up a report on Theresa May’s plan for a new customs partnership with the EU at a meeting on Wednesday.

hissy fits abound

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Rarity posted:

Oh gently caress that soda, I had it once and it was absolutely vile.

Their raspberryade though :discourse:

Hell even their Appleade and Cherryade are good and I am not a fan of those flavours usually. I'm sill plastering Barr for a Watermelon flavour though, I think it could work well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Catboy Autonomist posted:

Prolly cuz he wanted to prove himself as a true manly Proud Boy and putting it in the bin would be for pussy beta cucks or something

I can’t imagine any of May’s Brexit plans being more than a couple of sheets tho.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

learnincurve posted:

I can’t imagine any of May’s Brexit plans

I don't think she can, either, at that. Or anyone else.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

hissy fits abound

What is the Brexiter's plan if May does go soft on them? Call a leadership contest? Collapse the government? There's no majority in Parliament for what they want. About the only thing I could see working is if they deposed May, managed to railroad the party into electing a hard Brexit PM, and then railroaded them again into voting it through. But that's a pretty complicated plan. Seems to me if it turns into a dust-up soft Brexit is more likely to win.

Although come to think of it they could just plunge the government into turmoil at the last minute and hope that leads to us crashing out without a deal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jabby posted:

What is the Brexiter's plan if May does go soft on them? Call a leadership contest? Collapse the government? There's no majority in Parliament for what they want. About the only thing I could see working is if they deposed May, managed to railroad the party into electing a hard Brexit PM, and then railroaded them again into voting it through. But that's a pretty complicated plan. Seems to me if it turns into a dust-up soft Brexit is more likely to win.

Although come to think of it they could just plunge the government into turmoil at the last minute and hope that leads to us crashing out without a deal.

They think they can threaten May into compliance. It’s probably not a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/samcoatestimes/status/1012995252691619840?s=21

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

They think they can threaten May into compliance. It’s probably not a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/samcoatestimes/status/1012995252691619840?s=21

She is incredibly cowardly, but what do they have to threaten her with? A Corbyn government would only lead to an even softer Brexit. Does she just fear being replaced as leader and going down in history as incredibly ineffectual?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jabby posted:

She is incredibly cowardly, but what do they have to threaten her with? A Corbyn government would only lead to an even softer Brexit. Does she just fear being replaced as leader and going down in history as incredibly ineffectual?

Another few scandals leaked to the media might help. There’s a deep well of those to draw on.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

jabby posted:

It's that last thing, they just need to frustrate every process, and then we get the hardest brexit*

*shafting

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Anyone suggesting making Europe white is talking about ethnic cleansing my friends and family so can get bashed in the loving head tbh

Same. And if the way to stop them is fighting them in a car park so be it :getin:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

I emphasize that this is not a novel #slatepitch reading of events - instead it is a fairly mainstream, if liberal, reading of the fall of the Weimar's liberal democracy. Yes, it isn't the narrative espoused by the GDR for five decades. But it is a mainstream reading amongst Western and post-Cold-War historians. It is not a "nuclear-level hot take".

The hot take I am referring to is 'the SPD and the Nazis are equivalent'. I take it we can agree on that?

Edit: of course, if you think about it, 'first Hitler, then our turn' turned out to be entirely accurate in the East...

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 30, 2018

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Another few scandals leaked to the media might help. There’s a deep well of those to draw on.

The closer we get to the deadline the more I agree with Labour's current Brexit stance. It's getting harder and harder for the government to blame anyone but themselves for the total shambles they've made of negotiation, and the typical rebuttal of 'Labour would do even worse' is looking weaker by the day. All the media attention recently has been on the warring cabinet, which is perfect for Corbyn.

I've definitely noticed some of the #FBPE crowd becoming more and more shrill in their demands that Corbyn step in and singlehandedly halt Brexit though. I'm convinced some of them must be the paid Tory trolls we keep hearing about.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

jabby posted:

They know brexit will end in disaster, so they're seeding the news with stories of how hard they fought whichever today's official government brexit 'strategy' is. Then they can resign when the time's right with their credibility intact, and launch a bid for a cushy position when the getting's good again

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jabby posted:

The closer we get to the deadline the more I agree with Labour's current Brexit stance. It's getting harder and harder for the government to blame anyone but themselves for the total shambles they've made of negotiation, and the typical rebuttal of 'Labour would do even worse' is looking weaker by the day. All the media attention recently has been on the warring cabinet, which is perfect for Corbyn.

I've definitely noticed some of the #FBPE crowd becoming more and more shrill in their demands that Corbyn step in and singlehandedly halt Brexit though. I'm convinced some of them must be the paid Tory trolls we keep hearing about.

Eeh, their logic seems to be fairly simple. The Brexit process is looking more and more like a case of naked treason, and it’s the opposition’s responsibility to call that out. As for why they’re getting on Labour’s case specifically... well, it’s not like traitors are going to bother responding to requests for them to stop committing treason, is it? Labour is the party they see as somewhat salvageable, and therefore worth putting effort into.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Eeh, their logic seems to be fairly simple. The Brexit process is looking more and more like a case of naked treason, and it’s the opposition’s responsibility to call that out. As for why they’re getting on Labour’s case specifically... well, it’s not like traitors are going to bother responding to requests for them to stop committing treason, is it? Labour is the party they see as somewhat salvageable, and therefore worth putting effort into.

lol they're all tories and lib dems. There's a few people who are genuine but if you ever engage with them they're bad faith as gently caress.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

There are certainly a few that operate in good faith, but there are tons that just want to use it as a hammer to damage Corbyn as much as possible.

I mean I was at Labour Live, so I know that the bunch from #PeoplesVote were lying through their teeth about being abused by the crowd or thrown out by security. All they wanted was to disrupt Corbyn's speech.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Darth Walrus posted:

Their strategy is nonsense, at best they think guilt and rage will change Labour's position. There's occasional stabs at economic or humanitarian reasoning but they don't acknowledge that Labour wants EU citizens to stay right from the start and have conditions in place to protect economy security while honouring the result so they don't engage with Labour's position. They want Corbyn to say they were right all along and are angry that he doesn't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AmandaPCraig/status/1012671608333496322?s=19

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Hi, this is my weekly reminder that all present educational systems in the world are complete garbage. We should make education more personalised and continuous, and completely abolish tests and degrees and levels and etc etc forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
yes but then how would we ensure rich people's children get better jobs

• Locked thread