Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's the same for literally every Irish Pub, I'm pretty sure
When we did our two weeks at Ramstein a sizable portion of the people who went over never went further than Landstuhl. They wasted a paid vacation to another country in a stupid dive full of other stupid Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Isn't Germany where the US has their main trauma centre for seriously injured troops too?

*Outside CONUS obviously.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Most Joes at USAG Bamberg never left post save for trips to get drunk downtown, slam underaged girls at Mausefalle, and get DUIs on the way back that the Polizei ended up deferring to the provost marshal. And that place is a tiny fraction of Ramstein. It never seized to amaze me.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Burt posted:

Isn't Germany where the US has their main trauma centre for seriously injured troops too?

*Outside CONUS obviously.

That’s where all our casualties went when I was in Iraq.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Letting service members die in the AOR to own the libs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well theres that big base in Qatar I'm sure a hospital could be built there.

*remembers what KSA is doing and Trump is tweeting*

Uh... Diego Garcia?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Most Joes at USAG Bamberg never left post save for trips to get drunk downtown, slam underaged girls at Mausefalle, and get DUIs on the way back that the Polizei ended up deferring to the provost marshal. And that place is a tiny fraction of Ramstein. It never seized to amaze me.
I have an Air Force Court of Appeals case saved back home where some guy got drunk at a festival, harrased some locals until he got the Polizei called on him. Tried to break into an elderly lady's house to hide. Ended up shattering her hip in the process. Was so nuts the responding officer decided to smack him on the head with his flashlight. Was foaming at the mouth on the way to the station and screaming about how they should just kill him.

The report ended with a note that he'd been a modep Airman up until that point. Not entirely sure I believe that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

hobbesmaster posted:

Well theres that big base in Qatar I'm sure a hospital could be built there.

*remembers what KSA is doing and Trump is tweeting*

Uh... Diego Garcia?

The remains of Qatar will be a KSA territory after genocide and be mostly used for military training and resource extraction circa 2024.

This of course will be a pro in the column of reasons to expand the US base

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Casimir Radon posted:

I have an Air Force Court of Appeals case saved back home where some guy got drunk at a festival, harrased some locals until he got the Polizei called on him. Tried to break into an elderly lady's house to hide. Ended up shattering her hip in the process. Was so nuts the responding officer decided to smack him on the head with his flashlight. Was foaming at the mouth on the way to the station and screaming about how they should just kill him.

The report ended with a note that he'd been a modep Airman up until that point. Not entirely sure I believe that.

Sounds like he was on K2 or some other synthetic marijuana. No idea how prevalent that stuff is in Europe, though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Arcella posted:

Sounds like he was on K2 or some other synthetic marijuana. No idea how prevalent that stuff is in Europe, though.

That honestly just sounds like the average case you'd get at least once per courtesy patrol. Polizei would call post and the duty Joe would call you while you're still praying that there won't be any fuckups that bad tonight.

That night some E-5 raped his wife and tried to drown her in a hotel in Berlin, then went on a drunk high-speed trip back to Bamberg with a Polizei chopper catching him 5km out of Hallstadt, wrecked his ride, then dead-reckoned the last few miles to a club (literally the same one I mentioned earlier) to brag about it to his buddies happened when one of my friends was on courtesy patrol.

I get sweaty hands just contemplating about being some O-2/3 with a weekend coming up where your rear end drew the short straw for that detail. The german cops that went along used to be pretty chill, though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's absolutely unfathomable that we would give up having the medical facilities at Landstuhl. There's nowhere else that compares, and you can't just move a facility like that. There's a considerable civilian partnership (both locals and usgov civilians/contractors) that makes it all work. It's the closest nice place we have. Good loving luck getting the quality of care elsewhere.

So naturally that's what we'll probably end up doing, and an absolute shitload of people will end up dying from having to go back to CONUS to get medical care.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

But they sound smart.

Brexit says otherwise.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Let's keep sucking up to Putin. The dictator of a pathetic country with a poo poo economy. Populated largely by drunks, drug addicts, wife beaters, and fatalistic youths who have to perform suicidal gestures to feel anything.

Lol, let's rip up all our treaties with our European allies so we can be pals with a garbage heap.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Casimir Radon posted:

Let's keep sucking up to Putin. The dictator of a pathetic country with a poo poo economy. Populated largely by drunks, drug addicts, wife beaters, and fatalistic youths who have to perform suicidal gestures to feel anything.

Lol, let's rip up all our treaties with our European allies so we can be pals with a garbage heap.

all the alternatives mean I gotta vote for someone who might only want to make my college cheap and not free

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vasudus posted:

It's absolutely unfathomable that we would give up having the medical facilities at Landstuhl. There's nowhere else that compares, and you can't just move a facility like that. There's a considerable civilian partnership (both locals and usgov civilians/contractors) that makes it all work. It's the closest nice place we have. Good loving luck getting the quality of care elsewhere.

So naturally that's what we'll probably end up doing, and an absolute shitload of people will end up dying from having to go back to CONUS to get medical care.

Surely Seoul is closer?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Surely Seoul is closer?
We will build a new hospital in Pyongyang now that Fatty Un is our best friend!

Now is Pod Save America something that will make me feel better or worse?

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

all the alternatives mean I gotta vote for someone who might only want to make my college cheap and not free

I’ll happily fall in line and hold my nose to vote for whatever centrist trash fire the Dems run to get rid of trump, but you better believe I’m gonna try and primary the machine Dems out.

E:

Casimir Radon posted:

Depends on how left you are. They are definitely Democrats with a capital D. So you will get some of the classic liberal junk that doesn’t actually solve the problem and the interviews are generally trash. They softball questions to the important people they have on the show when they should turn the screws. Otherwise they are pretty decent. You can tell some of the hosts have much further left personal politics but will heartily defend Pelosi style policies. Though they are coming around a bit.

Richard Bong fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 30, 2018

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
pod save america are centrist scum but im a hardliner so ymmv

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Surely Seoul is closer?

The SOFA agreements are different, it would be a lot harder on both ends to get the level of care necessary to be an acceptable replacement.

The big thing with Germany is not only that we can build up whatever we want, it's that people want to go there. There's a huge amount of American civilians and contractors that make up the support staff, it's not as simple as giving everyone orders to ROK. If you want to attract the necessary level and quantity of talent, assuming that ROK even allows it, you're going to have to spend a lot of money enticing them to come out there.

Here's a better comparison: It's the same reason Facebook/Amazon/Apple/Netflix/Google don't have their headquarters in the midwest, despite property values and cost of living being considerably cheaper.

edit: also I'm completely ignoring AFRICOM support. One of these days the US will really make everyone aware of just how involved we are there, but it's a lot.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Casimir Radon posted:

I expect Republicans to do everything they can to gently caress over women, and gays, and brown people. What I didn't expect was them to gleefully go skipping off a cliff for a chance to destroy the international order. They all love Kim Jung Un all of the sudden because an orange dumbfuck told them he was good. North Korea has been a vicious enemy of this country their entire lives and now they love it because some scam artist thinks he's making a bigly deal.

I have been a ball of rage for 2 years now and it's loving exhausting.

Thanks to the propaganda machine that is fox news, the average republican now thinks the smoothbrain in chief has improved our world standing.

Seriously.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah, they got a lot of turnout rallying done in the past few weeks of touring live shows.

I liked Hysteria's first episode too. By the same group, and much like Bombshell is for NatSec it makes some interesting points as the cast and guest are all cool women.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

On my way to a protest. Apparently everyone at this train station is too. Signs and everything.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Richard Bong posted:

I’ll happily fall in line and hold my nose to vote for whatever centrist trash fire the Dems run to get rid of trump, but you better believe I’m gonna try and primary the machine Dems out.

Oh absolutely, the party needs to be wrenched leftward in primaries, it just sucks to see people getting lovely about their candidate losing those primaries though that's almost always Twitter being Twitter.

The secret is that machine Dems who piss and moan about events like Ocasio-Cortez and Eastman beating Crowley and Ashford in the primary are still reliable votes. Everything that can be said about 'moderate' goppers always coming home in the general can be said about centrist dems because they absolutely secretly get off on all things IKEA and that includes scandinavian social democracy :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Russia is our future, if we're "lucky."

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I love that it's over the space shuttle, like we're going to bring that back or something

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Thanks to the propaganda machine that is fox news, the average republican now thinks the smoothbrain in chief has improved our world standing.

Seriously.

PEOPLE RESPECT US

:suicide:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Obama said some nice stuff recently, including that the exec summary is "get involved, participate, and vote". Reminded people not to wait for the perfect political message because politics, like people, is flawed but there is absolutely a Better and there is a Worse.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

On my way to a protest. Apparently everyone at this train station is too. Signs and everything.

DC area? I’m seeing a lot of people in Arlington with protest signs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Obama said some nice stuff recently, including that the exec summary is "get involved, participate, and vote". Reminded people not to wait for the perfect political message because politics, like people, is flawed but there is absolutely a Better and there is a Worse.
C-Spam didn't like that. I suddenly remembered why I removed my bookmark.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Why would people still be sore about Obama, hmm...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My personal favorite sign from the Baltimore protest:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Why would people still be sore about Obama, hmm...

Hold on, I got you fam

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1013088152322543616

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Vasudus posted:

We're already in the process of moving away from Landstuhl. They have already begun the construction of a new joint hospital (that was supposed to start back in like 2012 but was postponed because of the Pivot to the Pacific lol) immediately outside the East gate of Ramstein. Once that is done, the plan is to give Landstuhl back to Germany and have everything done at Ramstein since the flights all come into there anyway.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

San Diego protest had thousands

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GoGoGadget posted:

We're already in the process of moving away from Landstuhl. They have already begun the construction of a new joint hospital (that was supposed to start back in like 2012 but was postponed because of the Pivot to the Pacific lol) immediately outside the East gate of Ramstein. Once that is done, the plan is to give Landstuhl back to Germany and have everything done at Ramstein since the flights all come into there anyway.

Well yes, I should have specified "we can't just up and close our medical facilities in Germany", meaning independent of our ongoing realignment in EURCOM.

The Defense Health Agency is, in the process of standing up as a big boy organization, conducting assessments of medical resource availability. Basically if we don't have top-tier medical facilities and the resources to run them in Europe, things go pear shaped really fast.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1011952266268545024
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1013139532290625538

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:yooge: Roman numerals, totally different

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What is the democrats’ end game by allowing open borders and crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

boop the snoot posted:

What is the democrats’ end game by allowing open borders and crime?

Somehow illegal immigrants are reliable democratic voters?

I don't know how that is supposed to work though.

• Locked thread