Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, because it's good security practice to occasionally prompt for password/pin like that.

Is there a way to actually make it prompt after 72 hours, because it's more like a day and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there a way to actually make it prompt after 72 hours, because it's more like a day and a half.

Are you sure?

I used to think "there's no way this is waiting 72 hours", but I ended up making a note each time it prompted and then I was like "oh yeah, I was wrong this is like 72 hours".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I swear to God I just reset the drat thing yesterday, and it did it again today.

Reminder that my phone is an LG though... :ohdear:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

My phone is always in my pocket, in my hand, or I'm asleep so I think notification Leds are stupid and no one should have them or use their phones differently or live their life differently from me.

:agreed:

my bluetooth butt plug vibrates for all notifications

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Are you sure?

I used to think "there's no way this is waiting 72 hours", but I ended up making a note each time it prompted and then I was like "oh yeah, I was wrong this is like 72 hours".

I genuinely thought that it was based on the number of times you unlock your phone without the PIN, but I suppose I actually have no idea!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

docbeard posted:

I genuinely thought that it was based on the number of times you unlock your phone without the PIN, but I suppose I actually have no idea!

Maybe you're right now that you say that...but I'm fairly sure it's 72 hours.

All I can remember is that it was supposed to be X that caused it to re-prompt and I thought "no way it's X", but turns out that yeah it was X.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

My phone is always in my pocket, in my hand, or I'm asleep so I think notification Leds are stupid and no one should have them or use their phones differently or live their life differently from me.

This is the correct response!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Some quick Google-sleuthing on my break shows it to be some sort of bug with Smart Lock.
Which is weird... because only my headphones are set as a trusted device/place/etc., and I literally use them every day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A bug with smart lock? :ohdear:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Uthor posted:

A bug with smart lock? :ohdear:

I'll let you know in 68 hours.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

At least in Australia Android Auto will be available as a dealer installed upgrade for all 2014+ Mazda vehicles with the Connect infotainment system.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thermopyle posted:

At least in Australia Android Auto will be available as a dealer installed upgrade for all 2014+ Mazda vehicles with the Connect infotainment system.

I'm just glad they made it possible to run it on the phone. I bought a car mount and use it that way, no need to wait for the manufacturer to update or purchase a new car or head unit.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
With how cheap and durable tablets have gotten it pisses me off that cars don't just run some sort of super specific version of Android in a special made tablet. It could even replace your stereo if they invested in the sound card.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

That is very encouraging, it should hopefully be the case in the US. I just hope they won't charge an arm and a leg for the privilege.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Verge posted:

With how cheap and durable tablets have gotten it pisses me off that cars don't just run some sort of super specific version of Android in a special made tablet. It could even replace your stereo if they invested in the sound card.

I took a look at my Pioneer head unit's open source components and found out that it actually does run Android. It's heavily skinned, but it's Android.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

That is very encouraging, it should hopefully be the case in the US. I just hope they won't charge an arm and a leg for the privilege.

The upgrade requires a new USB accessory block to be installed or else the firmware won't enable it. In the US at least it won't be available until after the 2019 CX-5 rollout.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My 2018 honda has it, I just connect my phone via USB and it auto-runs.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Does anyone know what could cause the album containing my wallpapers to up and delete itself overnight? It’s happened a few times and I’ve ended up abandoning muzei since I thought that was the culprit, but it’s still happening.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

My 2018 honda has it, I just connect my phone via USB and it auto-runs.

Your Honda runs Mazda Connect?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What're the chances of the Pixel 3s having the new wifi standard or "5G"?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

What're the chances of the Pixel 3s having the new wifi standard or "5G"?

Does the new Qualcomm SoC support either?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Your Honda runs Mazda Connect?

No, android auto lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

No, android auto lol

Yeah, Mazda Connect has always supported Android Auto in the code but it's never been turned on. Once Mazda locked out running code from the USB port, we've been having to wait for them to turn it on but they wanted to roll out CarPlay at the same time. Apparently the holdup was that CarPlay requires a power spec not met by Mazda's accessory ports on pre-2019.5 cars and a retrofit kit will be made available to dealers. The kit is swap for the USB block that plugs into the existing interface so in theory any of us could do the work if we could grab the new kit, but of course if we were willing to go that far we could also just enable Android Auto since all you have to do is plug into the back of the unit to run the script that enables it.

Why Mazda sucks so much I cannot answer.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Verge posted:

Um yeah Google already announced that

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/09/google-previews-whats-next-for-android-auto/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, Mazda Connect has always supported Android Auto in the code but it's never been turned on. Once Mazda locked out running code from the USB port, we've been having to wait for them to turn it on but they wanted to roll out CarPlay at the same time. Apparently the holdup was that CarPlay requires a power spec not met by Mazda's accessory ports on pre-2019.5 cars and a retrofit kit will be made available to dealers. The kit is swap for the USB block that plugs into the existing interface so in theory any of us could do the work if we could grab the new kit, but of course if we were willing to go that far we could also just enable Android Auto since all you have to do is plug into the back of the unit to run the script that enables it.

Why Mazda sucks so much I cannot answer.

I'm pretty sure at some point Mazda disabled the ability to do do that workaround to get AA running. I don't remember the details, but at least on some models with a production date past some point, you can't enable it if I'm remembering correctly.

Or maybe I'm just remembering the USB port thing....

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

No, android auto lol

I think he was being sarcastic as your post about your honda having it was kind of a non-sequitur.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Not sure where to ask this, but I have a Nexus 5x that hasn't died yet somehow. The headphone port works fine with earphones and regular headphones. However I have a cord that connects from the audio interface in my car to my phone (a third party one) which I've used without issue for over four years. However today it stopped working mid-song. What I noticed was that while plugged in, audio was still coming out, but it was from the phone, not the car speakers. Do you think this would be an issue with a) the phone (don't think so since other devices work with the port b) the audio cord (it connects to this Audi interface in the glove compartment) or c) the car itself?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is it one of those special Audi/VW cables or just a generic 3.5mm port in the glove box? I'd assume the it's the cable and I'd try a new one, but if it's a special cable, it's probably expensive. Maybe the dealer would let you try a new one before buying? Or, try another device in the car.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'm pretty sure at some point Mazda disabled the ability to do do that workaround to get AA running. I don't remember the details, but at least on some models with a production date past some point, you can't enable it if I'm remembering correctly.

Or maybe I'm just remembering the USB port thing....

They didn't, and you can still do it but you have to get to the back of the unit to do so. You need to fabricate a dongle, I believe, to send the commands in that way. I looked into it briefly before the announcement that it was coming officially and since I'm buying a 2019 it was all academic to me which is why I don't have specifics.

That's why I'm saying if that if you were willing to get to the back of the unit to install the block yourself that opens it up to working officially you are probably also willing to plug into the back and send the command that unlocks it now.

I'd definitely want to go the official route though because the speculation is the block will send more power to the phone and that's certainly better. I guess I'll know when the upgrade comes and I check with Ampere.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Uthor posted:

Is it one of those special Audi/VW cables or just a generic 3.5mm port in the glove box? I'd assume the it's the cable and I'd try a new one, but if it's a special cable, it's probably expensive. Maybe the dealer would let you try a new one before buying? Or, try another device in the car.

It's a special Audi cable. I have an Audi A4 and there's an interface for iPhone/iPod but not for android. They're pretty cheap.

This is the cable, and this version also has a charger as well which is pretty cool. Mine just had the audio jack.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Cabl...rear end!55418!US!-1

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My pixel xl Android auto works pretty shittily on the second developer preview. Notifications are hit or miss, microphone opens too early on voice commands so you get the voice command voice as part of your actual command.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does anyone have any of those Google store coupons still unused? Was looking at getting a Google Home.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

The upgrade requires a new USB accessory block to be installed or else the firmware won't enable it. In the US at least it won't be available until after the 2019 CX-5 rollout.

They previously said it was coming in June for the 2018 6, but unless it's coming out today I'm guessing they missed that deadline since I haven't seen any articles about it.

Like you said, I'm hoping the new USB specs will eliminate the need for a car charger.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What exactly do I need to do to sell a Pixel 2? My father passed away a couple weeks ago and I need to sell the Pixel I got him for Christmas. It was paid in full when I bought it, cell service was disconnected when I ended his plan, sim card is removed, and I factory reset the phone. Am I missing anything?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Can't help on the question but sorry about your father

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What exactly do I need to do to sell a Pixel 2? My father passed away a couple weeks ago and I need to sell the Pixel I got him for Christmas. It was paid in full when I bought it, cell service was disconnected when I ended his plan, sim card is removed, and I factory reset the phone. Am I missing anything?

Sounds like you got everything, might want to plug it into a PC and see if there are any residual files you need to get rid of that the factory reset didn't wipe.

Sorry for your loss

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If it was from Verizon, check to make sure it's unlocked? It should have been encrypted by default from the factory, so a factory reset should be all you need to protect the data.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

actionjackson posted:

Can't help on the question but sorry about your father

The Duggler posted:

Sounds like you got everything, might want to plug it into a PC and see if there are any residual files you need to get rid of that the factory reset didn't wipe.

Sorry for your loss

Uthor posted:

If it was from Verizon, check to make sure it's unlocked? It should have been encrypted by default from the factory, so a factory reset should be all you need to protect the data.

Thanks guys. It was purchased through the Google store so its unlocked. I'll double check for any files on my computer and I'll call it good to go then

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm sorry to hear your news. I don't know you but I'm really close to my dad and would be lost without him.

I hope you get the phone sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

On my Mate SE I'm having an odd video playback issue. When I play videos/livestreams in the phone's native video app, everything runs solid. Though, when I watch videos in the Plex app, or open a livestream in the Twitch app, the video plays fine but sometimes there's a bit of judder(?) every now and then. Think that's the best way to describe it, but like for instance, on a Twitch livestream that's playing at 720p60, it'll run butter smooth 60fps, but then for a few seconds it'll get slightly suttery and then go back to being butter smooth. It consistently goes back and forth like that. It's not super bad or distracting, but it's definitely noticeable.

What's also weird is when I open up the same 720p60 stream that's being broadcasted on Twitch in the YouTube Gaming app (for example, Capcom Pro Tour), the video runs smooth with no judder/jitter in YouTube Gaming. Is this a hardware related issue? Or software? Or both?

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 30, 2018