Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BigglesSWE posted:

With no mods, sort of, with mods, absolutely. There’s some crazy good farming assets on Steam. A bunch of videos on YouTube can show you how to make farms look realistic in this game.

The game also has a proper farm industry type which exports the goods it produces to factories to be refined and packaged before actually going to stores.

I really like the way it handles raw resources in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So I'm getting this really annoying bug where my screen freezes randomly while I'm building roads of some sort. Doesn't seem to matter what kind of road I'm building, and happens like once every 30 minutes. I can still quicksave through the freeze, but its annoying as hell.

I'm just getting back into the game, so not sure if this is a common bug?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Sounds like auto-save, which has the same effect for me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any idea why the game gets slower and slower as I play, but then goes back to smooth and fast when I restart it? Is it because I'm in the red with my ram and loving around with virtual ram is causing this? Or is it some sort of memory leak that more ram won't fix?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How long do you need to play before it becomes an issue? Does the slowdown begin right away or after a couple of hours?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poil posted:

How long do you need to play before it becomes an issue? Does the slowdown begin right away or after a couple of hours?

Usually starts about an hour in. Seems to get worse when I save or take screen shots.
Also switching from normal mode to the free-camera mode and back will make things bad too. Like.. re-loading the interface will take 2 seconds, then 5 seconds, then 10 seconds, then 20, then crash the game.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 25, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really don't know how to make fancy custom intersections and the people who go nuts hand-lining everything always seems like a bit much but I thought I'd do a simple right turn lane on this intersection.

I'm sure it's not perfect but it looks better than the huge field of empty paving the game created for it.

What I'm specially bad at are highway intersections, mostly because highways like this almost don't exist where I live so these spaghetti mazes of ramps are totally non-intuitive to me.
I really don't know what I did here, but it seems to work fine for a very low-capacity off-ramp.

I mean it really don't get more basic than this.

Part of the guidelines for this city was "make sure every place is a place you'd want to live" but that came up against "loving not enough workers!!!" and a library of modern tower blocks. I think it's reasonably ok for a tower-block neighbourhood, plenty of parks and local services and a metro station.

And here's the whole project so far. I was worried the island was too small when I started, always make the maps too big. So much space to fill in!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 25, 2018

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Poil posted:

That's really cool. It's like someone absolutely wanted to build their office in a certain location and when the already present owners refused to demolish they just went fine I'll drop it on top of you then.

I'm not sure what the history of it is but there's a building like this in NYC, look up the Hearst Tower.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

I'm not sure what the history of it is but there's a building like this in NYC, look up the Hearst Tower.

We do this a lot in Seattle as well. Some examples:

https://goo.gl/maps/RCqjXRL4t212

https://goo.gl/maps/VntFxAp6xFr

https://goo.gl/maps/HurMzBX6wcq

I like it. I hope they continue to preserve the street-level history while expanding density skyward.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

Hearst Tower is a bit different; they hollowed out an existing building and built a skyscraper inside, using the old facade to wrap the lower levels.

Citigroup Centre is one that hovers above a church that refused to move, though. (And then there's the rest of the building's drama...)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 26, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MikeJF posted:

Hearst Tower is a bit different; they hollowed out an existing building and built a skyscraper inside, using the old facade to wrap the lower levels.

Citigroup Centre is one that hovers over a church that refused to move, though. (And then there's the rest of the building's drama...)

I love how they needed a secret elite squad of engineers to quickly reinforce the building before it fell over, which it could have at any moment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I love how they needed a secret elite squad of engineers to quickly reinforce the building before it fell over, which it could have at any moment.

To be fair, it was less 'any moment' and more 'at any moment if a storm of X magnitude hits'. They would've had a few hours to evacuate if the circumstances arose (and nearly did before Ella turned away)

Would've been pretty loving spectacular if it fell. Aside from WTC, what's the biggest 'unplanned demolition' to have ever happened?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 26, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, it was less 'any moment' and more 'at any moment if a storm of X magnitude hits'. They would've had a few hours to evacuate if the circumstances arose (and nearly did before Ella turned away)

Would've been pretty loving spectacular if it fell. Aside from WTC, what's the biggest 'unplanned demolition' to have ever happened?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banqiao_Dam

quote:

The Banqiao Reservoir Dam is a dam on the River Ru in Zhumadian City, Henan province, China. Its failure in 1975 caused more casualties than any other dam failure in history at an estimated 171,000 deaths and 11 million displaced.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
we have an unfortunate amount of this going on in london atm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facadism

the result is disasters like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/aug/29/carbuncle-cup-student-housing-ucl

developers can't remove listed facades so they demolish the rest of the building and often you get shite like this

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always found my nice european perimeter blocks had their interiors too empty. In real life even when that interior was open, it usually gets filled in over time as the buildings grow. These additions are usually a total mish-mash of styles, added after the street-facing facade went up.

It's a great way to add jobs to an under-populated block too, and truly have mixed-use. Generally am plopping low-com inside office.

Also wanted to share this custom courtyard parking structure. This big door and lane actually lead through the building.

Which has a well used parkade inside. Cars drive in and out and everything.

With some parks and setbacks with retail and lower-rise buildings these soviet-block neighbourhoods can almost feel ok. I'd live here, specially if the rents were cheap.

I realize now too that I could have an angled ramp or even a tunnel leading to a parking structure sunken into the ground and covered with buildings and it would work for underground parking, want to try that out.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 26, 2018

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I'm getting a hankering to get back into this game and I'm thinking about buying a few DLCs. Can I get a quick review of the bigger ones on whether they're worth it or not? The only one I have is After Dark.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Karanas posted:

I'm getting a hankering to get back into this game and I'm thinking about buying a few DLCs. Can I get a quick review of the bigger ones on whether they're worth it or not? The only one I have is After Dark.

They're all pretty bad and only worth getting on sale. After dark adds bikes, snowfall adds trams, for me those are the only meaningful additions. Even the mass transit DLC only adds some novelty vehicles like blimps and gondolas and monorails. Metro Overhaul Mod and Improved Public Transit 2 add way more transit poo poo for free.

Parklife is actually pretty ok, but some of the assets added are really really bad looking.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

They're all pretty bad and only worth getting on sale. After dark adds bikes, snowfall adds trams, for me those are the only meaningful additions. Even the mass transit DLC only adds some novelty vehicles like blimps and gondolas and monorails. Metro Overhaul Mod and Improved Public Transit 2 add way more transit poo poo for free.

Parklife is actually pretty ok, but some of the assets added are really really bad looking.

Parklife is also really weird in that some things need to be next to road, others need ped paths and somethings can just be plopped wherever the gently caress you like.

They made a DLC to add parks while making it so you can't use the vanilla park assets in the :psyduck:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Parklife seems like it's better suited to being a zoo, theme or national park DLC than just regular city parks.

e: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1420955187

A recently released Rush Hour replacement.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 27, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was just here to post about "Real Time"
Author seems active and smart. I never liked rush hour, but I'm enjoying this take on it. It's certainly something to see a metro station suddenly have 3,000 passengers waiting. It does make me wish we had better controls over transit lines. Sure you can set lines to be active during day/night but that doesn't really help because even with the slowed down day-cycle things just don't reach where they need to be until too late. Also the way the game's pathfinding works you can't just have an extra "day line" with extra trains because now you have 2 lines servicing the same route and cims will seemingly randomly choose which one to take, totally ignoring the crowding. So the extra day-time train might have 300 people waiting while the 24h version has 2000. New person comes to the station and decides to wait in the 2000 person line.

You'd need to get really detailed and be able to say "make sure there's 5 extra inbound trains starting from X station at Yo'clock, run them once then back to the depot. Cities in Motion 2 did this, but it was absolutely an interface nightmare setting up the schedules and the days ran way too fast so those extra "rush hour" trains you set for the morning only arrive downtown at like 3pm. The timeflow of the game and scale just don't make sense for hourly schedules. That's always been my problem with mods like rush hour and now "real time", they blur the focus of the game. They give you hourly problems but not hourly solutions. They give you 1 time-compressed hour of rush hour traffic, but trying to flow in real time so it's way worse than it would be in real life because it has less time to get where its going.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I was just here to post about "Real Time"
Author seems active and smart. I never liked rush hour, but I'm enjoying this take on it. It's certainly something to see a metro station suddenly have 3,000 passengers waiting. It does make me wish we had better controls over transit lines. Sure you can set lines to be active during day/night but that doesn't really help because even with the slowed down day-cycle things just don't reach where they need to be until too late. Also the way the game's pathfinding works you can't just have an extra "day line" with extra trains because now you have 2 lines servicing the same route and cims will seemingly randomly choose which one to take, totally ignoring the crowding. So the extra day-time train might have 300 people waiting while the 24h version has 2000. New person comes to the station and decides to wait in the 2000 person line.

You'd need to get really detailed and be able to say "make sure there's 5 extra inbound trains starting from X station at Yo'clock, run them once then back to the depot. Cities in Motion 2 did this, but it was absolutely an interface nightmare setting up the schedules and the days ran way too fast so those extra "rush hour" trains you set for the morning only arrive downtown at like 3pm. The timeflow of the game and scale just don't make sense for hourly schedules. That's always been my problem with mods like rush hour and now "real time", they blur the focus of the game. They give you hourly problems but not hourly solutions. They give you 1 time-compressed hour of rush hour traffic, but trying to flow in real time so it's way worse than it would be in real life because it has less time to get where its going.

Control public transit in intervals of 3 hours for the past couple of years has been possible with TLM, but unfortunately its author appears to have died and as of the most recent patch his mod no longer works. It would be nice to see that functionality added to Real Time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

Control public transit in intervals of 3 hours for the past couple of years has been possible with TLM, but unfortunately its author appears to have died and as of the most recent patch his mod no longer works. It would be nice to see that functionality added to Real Time.

I like it when mods don't try to be kitchen sinks and remain modular, like if Real Time fiddled with some transit options I'd not be able to use Improved Public Transit 2, which I find 100% essential. Unless Real Time some how did everything IPT2 does, but better.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928128676

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I like it when mods don't try to be kitchen sinks and remain modular, like if Real Time fiddled with some transit options I'd not be able to use Improved Public Transit 2, which I find 100% essential. Unless Real Time some how did everything IPT2 does, but better.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928128676

Both mods are open source, so one could easily internally include support for the other. TLM had built in support for IPT.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Luckily, someone is upkeeping TLM: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312767991

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Did the TLM guy just go silent or did he like, actually die?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

That's who I was talking about, they said that they were going to release a hotfix in early June, but they haven't been online in two weeks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has anyone checked these out? They have no descriptions but there seems to be some serious lane-splitting wizardry going on in the screen shots.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1423096565

Still don't know why CO didn't make roads automatically do this when coming together under X degree angles.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Has anyone checked these out? They have no descriptions but there seems to be some serious lane-splitting wizardry going on in the screen shots.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1423096565

Still don't know why CO didn't make roads automatically do this when coming together under X degree angles.

They work, but the quality of the assets themselves is bad (texturing, weight of the models). Also, these roads don't interact well with the basegame ones.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj posted:

They work, but the quality of the assets themselves is bad (texturing, weight of the models). Also, these roads don't interact well with the basegame ones.

That's too bad, I'd love a set like these that takes the idea and does a better job with it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

That's too bad, I'd love a set like these that takes the idea and does a better job with it.

I was looking into it a couple of months ago but balked at the dozens of assets that’d have to be imported into the game, published on steam, etc. Work already pays me to do dumb IT poo poo so no thanks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj posted:

I was looking into it a couple of months ago but balked at the dozens of assets that’d have to be imported into the game, published on steam, etc. Work already pays me to do dumb IT poo poo so no thanks.

RIP your fine contributions to the workshop :(
Wish you still made modern office blocks.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
welp here's episode 2

RIP indigenous cultures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQzfa4iXxZ4

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So I deleted one of the 2 plane paths through my city and redrew it because the planes taking off from my airport were doing so in a weird spiral into the sky as the original path was right above it. Now it appears no planes are landing at all or taking off. Do I need to just drop the runways back down again or is the map hosed?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I bought this at launch and never really had the time to play much. Thanks to the steam sale I now own all the DLC.
Is there an up to date recommended workshop mods list?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

donoteat posted:

welp here's episode 2

RIP indigenous cultures

My dream city builder is basically one that includes all history of permanent human habitation in the locale, obviously with the progression of time tuned to the "age" in which you're currently in - and your series here is just making me want that even more. The standard city builder thing where you essentially develop cities in reverse annoys me to no end.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think a good start for city builders would be to avoid - or at least sidestep - the setup where you're served a perfect square of wilderness and told to fill it. SC2K had a terrain editor with a land / mountains / water slider, so you could hit 'random' a few times and end up with a unique landscape to fill every time you started a city - why not build off of that, no pun intended, and use a 'human habitation' slider to add a few roads and buildings into the mix?

You've been elected mayor of a small, isolated county, which has up until now been mostly passed over for development in favour of Neighbour City (boo, hiss, those motherfuckers). Your tax base is currently a handful of houses and bare-necessities shops spread out all over, with a threadbare road network and a clapped-out old bus taking residents from home to work. You're here to change that.

VV "Congratulations. You have chosen, or been chosen..."

spincube fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 1, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The game obviously takes place in the near future where dramatic climate change, extreme weather patterns and rising sea levels have necessitated large scale resettlement into previously uninhabited locations.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 1, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

spincube posted:

I think a good start for city builders would be to avoid - or at least sidestep - the setup where you're served a perfect square of wilderness and told to fill it. SC2K had a terrain editor with a land / mountains / water slider, so you could hit 'random' a few times and end up with a unique landscape to fill every time you started a city - why not build off of that, no pun intended, and use a 'human habitation' slider to add a few roads and buildings into the mix?

You've been elected mayor of a small, isolated county, which has up until now been mostly passed over for development in favour of Neighbour City (boo, hiss, those motherfuckers). Your tax base is currently a handful of houses and bare-necessities shops spread out all over, with a threadbare road network and a clapped-out old bus taking residents from home to work. You're here to change that.
That would certainly be an improvement in my view, and it doesn't seem like it should be that tough to implement. The terrain map should be a good guide for where settlements could exist, and the layout of streets and poo poo could operate off of some rather simple logic - perhaps with a slider between Euro-spaghetti and American grids. What'd be really neat would be if you could define how post-industrial a city is - so you could take over a significant post-industrial city full of empty buildings - and then the challenge would be to salvage and rebuild. (See Detroit and how the upkeep of its streets have been a major hindrance to getting the city back on its feet.)

That idea does make me wish the game evolved over time, even if you didn't go pre-20th century - with heavy industry dying out being the expected development in most cities leaving behind vast areas that either sit abandoned and drag your city down, or can become the center of new urban development as factories and warehouses get repurposed into art galleries, clubs, swanky apartments, and offices.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 1, 2018

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

spincube posted:

VV "Congratulations. You have chosen, or been chosen..."

You can kind of do this for a modern city by starting off with basically just an off ramp gas stop of a town with farmland and building out from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

donoteat posted:

welp here's episode 2

RIP indigenous cultures

What happened to the Lenape villages from the first episode? Were they all destroyed? Will they show up again in a later episode?